• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

mooooose

My point is, in two weeks the hair won't have grown all that much, barely noticable at least to me. All depends on how much you cut it of course.
Well I get a 1 on the sides and its already grown in a bit in the week, enough to make a noticeable difference. So two weeks sounds right to me.

Depends on the length. If you go close and tight then you gotta maintain it very often. In my case I keep it about 6 inches on top and 1-2 inches on the sides with a taper so I can get away without a cut for up to two months.

zlatko

Banned
So tonight is when I hope to upload pics of my current hair from a few angles without shit in it, and with shit in it.

Hoping I remember so GAF can help me figure out a better style they think I should go for on my next hair cut.

J2 Cool

What should I ask for, if I want something with the subtlest fade? (medium length on top, sides from top down gradually shorter, lower down even short almost buzzed) Similar to maybe this:

MH4OJ.jpg

wjIcr.jpg

Not exactly this though close. I like a clean look. Ears down I want kind of cropped, this one starts at temples. I don't like fades that start too high. What do you think the best way to describe this as? Nothing worse than not clearly getting across what you want, and getting something different.

I don't think its been mentioned in this thread, but my all time favorite hair product is Kevin Murphy Hair Resort.

21h4PKreTXL._SS500_.jpg

I have really fine, soft hair, so product usually just weighs it down, but Hair Resort is amazing. It gives my hair a ton of texture and volume, and I can get it to look really crazy if I want to and it looks natural, not like you've loaded your scalp with gel or wax.

Actually, all of the Kevin Murphy products I've used are great. Night Rider, Gritty Business and Sticky Business are amazing. They're expensive, but a little goes a long way.

Oh my stylist (I go to a salon, but it's because the woman's been cutting my hair since I was in Jr. High) uses that after each cut. Hell, everyone at the salon uses Kevin Murphy products and it's great stuff. I don't buy it since I'm kinda lazy and have my own stuff, but I do like it.

Stylist cut my hair way too short. It's the biggest problem with going to a stylist. Women tend to over cut a man's hair and not cut a woman's hair enough. I always have them do a 4 on the back and sides and fade it into the hair on top. It looks like I have a crew cut instead.

Minamu

Depends on the length. If you go close and tight then you gotta maintain it very often. In my case I keep it about 6 inches on top and 1-2 inches on the sides with a taper so I can get away without a cut for up to two months.
I haven't gotten a cut since June when I started letting it grow :S Maybe I really should do something about it. I happened to overhear a convesation on the bus back in July after a night out that you shouldn't let it grow beyond two months if you want to keep the hair nice and fresh. I suppose that's fairly accurate then :)

I get mine cut every month. I have it shaved really close on the sides though and my hair grows incredibly fast, so I could probably go every two weeks but that gets way too expensive.

Mine's cut about every 6-8 weeks.

Whenever my hair grows over my ears (when cut longer) and/or the nape grows long enough to press up against the collar of my polo - I'm usually clawing to have my hair cut. Granted, I'm Asian (Filipino but my hair's more fine than coarse) so I can usually pull it off but man does it annoy me.

Yoshiya

blergh. So sick of the mediocre cuts I've been getting lately at the salon I normally go to, so I went a booked an appointment at a more expensive place. Might go full undercut this time.

Kanguro

Neo Member
Can we get some recommendations for hairstyles based on head shapes and all that? It's one thing to like random incredibly handsome movie star's hair and it's another thing to have that hair actually suit your face / head.

And another question for hair GAF: I recently moved from a London to Mexico City, basically going from a fairly humid climate to an extremely dry one. In the process my hair has gone from a wavey / curly naturally tousled look to just kind of flat, thin and nasty looking. What should I do to get it back into it's previous state?

btrboyev

Are they any styles for those people like me who can't grow side burns? I always feel like I'm the guy out there who can't grow facial hair

Cake Boss

Banned
Do you guys have any recomendations for an alcohol free alternative texturizer/glue.

Currently use The Loreal maximum 5 texturizer but getting tired of build up on scalp and the itching which leads to those white flakes.

studio-line-indestructible-gel-gluebrand-l-oreal.jpg

Nemesis_

Can we get some recommendations for hairstyles based on head shapes and all that? It's one thing to like random incredibly handsome movie star's hair and it's another thing to have that hair actually suit your face / head.

And another question for hair GAF: I recently moved from a London to Mexico City, basically going from a fairly humid climate to an extremely dry one. In the process my hair has gone from a wavey / curly naturally tousled look to just kind of flat, thin and nasty looking. What should I do to get it back into it's previous state?

I think this is the most important thing - though I'm no expert. But it's downright embarrassing when you just KNOW someone is trying to emulate a celebrity in the hair department but they might have a completely different facial shape / body shape.

It happens with clothes too.

I am +1 for this suggestion for the GREATER GOOD of mankind tbh

Man

Tapered
"Instead of creating a strong line at the nape of the neck, a tapered neckline follows the natural neckline and gradually shortens the hair as it gets closer to the bottom of the neckline. A tapered neckline can slim a wide neck. However, the biggest advantage to the tapered nape is that as your hair grows out, the neckline remains blended and neat. You won’t need frequent touch-ups as you would with a blocked or rounded nape."
Thank you OP. After having moved to Australia (English is not my native language) I have grown sick of them assuming I want a blocked nape even after trying to describe to them what I'm after. Now I know it's called tapered.

Also will print out this ideal look:
Rookje said:

Sober

I think I can grow a fairly decent Caesar, but I usually am too lazy to keep it short so I don't have super long hair in all directions. Lately been getting just a straight up #2. Might try #3 as people tell me I look 'odd' a few days after I get it shaved down.

All these hairstyles are too confusing.

SoCal is a pretty huge place man. Orange County has some good ones including Logan Bros, King's Club, and El Catrin. In LA there's Baxter Finley, Shorty's, and André Beverly Hills.

I'min orange county, sorry. I'll check these places out.

El catrin is closest to me so i will be going there for my next cut.

SoCal is a pretty huge place man. Orange County has some good ones including Logan Bros, King's Club, and El Catrin. In LA there's Baxter Finley, Shorty's, and André Beverly Hills.
thanks for this post. I've been thinking about going undercut, but I might just get it tapered on the sides and back first and see how that goes

Broseybrose

IMHO, gay men at salons do advanced cuts on men better than anyone else. I know this from my personal history of getting my hair cut at many different places.

h3ro

IMHO, gay men at salons do advanced cuts on men better than anyone else. I know this from my personal history of getting my hair cut at many different places.

That probably has more to do with them working at a high end salon and less to do with their sexuality.

Mr. F

Banned
Pulled the trigger on a Beckham esque undercut. Turned out well.

Nice, share with the class? In terms of my being willing to try new things, it's a lot more encouraging seeing these hairstyles on regular people than movie stars/celebrities.

What type of product should I use if I want to keep my hair from sticking up, but don't want it to have that wet look? I have really thick hair that stands up in the back when I keep it short, and any cheap product I've tried doesn't work very well.

EDIT: Just looked at the products in the OP, would this be what I'm looking for?

jPel5D7PsuAr7.jpg

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Nice, share with the class? In terms of my being willing to try new things, it's a lot more encouraging seeing these hairstyles on regular people than movie stars/celebrities.

Sure, in the morning though.

Just washed my hair so without anything in it, it looks ridiculous lol

EDIT: Just looked at the products in the OP, would this be what I'm looking for?

jPel5D7PsuAr7.jpg

Give forming cream a try too.

Rookje

Looks great! What do you think about the sides poking out? I have the same problem since that part of my hair hasn't grown that long yet. Not to say it looks that bad or noticeable or a real "problem" at all.

Top Bottom