• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesseract

Banned
giphy.gif

Jtibh

Banned
I dont know whats going on here something about electro creamon and such but you guys should amke a reality show something like big brother with gaf members on youtube or something.
Gaf vs era. How many would tune in?

Bullet Club

Banned
Revenge! Burnout Revenge was the one with 10 million versions of that song.
Nah, it was Paradise that had it.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Nah, it was Paradise that had it.

Ah it was Dominator that was dominated by "Girlfriend". It annoyed me there, but not in Paradise, because Paradise annoyed me as a game altogether, whereas Dominator was still a good Burnout (being track based).

-Arcadia-

Banned
What the hell is there to not like about Paradise? Get the fuck out of here.

I have nothing against the game; I’m probably going to get it for Switch when it comes out.

That said, I did kind of feel like Burnout 3 was the height of the series, Revenge a step back (it’s less fun to avoid traffic if half the road are just weapons for you to use), and Paradise... kind of weird.

There’s no proper crash mode (unless it got an update for that?), handling feels strange to me, and I’m not sure the open world works for this type of game.

Granted, I did just briefly rent it, but I didn’t feel like the Burnout magic was there.

Yoshi

What the hell is there to not like about Paradise? Get the fuck out of here.
Open World is basically the exact opposite of high intensitiy BOOSTBOOSTBOOST, which is what a racing game should be about. Revenge already lowered the intensity of the series with pushaway traffic, but the amount of downtime in Paradise is not excusable. Also, for maximum intensity, it is important the the track is always clear, which is not the case in an open world environment.

Nymphae

Banned
Open World is basically the exact opposite of high intensitiy BOOSTBOOSTBOOST

I don't know what you're talking about, there are play sessions I've had with this game where I'm doing nothing but boosting, I would just open 'er up once the game loaded and try to do the longest Burnout streak possible. For me this was the first one in the series that let me do this sort of thing, Infinite Burnouts so to speak. I find the rigid track structure boring after a while but I like the dynamic feel of the city, which I think is very well designed. I can understand someone preferring the old structure, but man Paradise is like crack for me I'm so glad it exists.

Revenge already lowered the intensity of the series with pushaway traffic

Which was removed for Paradise because that was a terrible idea for a game largely centred around risky driving.

but the amount of downtime in Paradise is not excusable.

What downtime? Any non-event downtown for me (which you only get a lot of nearing the end) was spent gleefully boosting at full speed in the general direction of the next event intersection I highlighted on the map. I felt like I had more downtime playing 3 being in the menus so much, sometimes I had trouble putting Paradise down because there are no natural pauses - as soon as an event finished, I was boosting again. In 3 the post race menus and endless unlock screens is where I would stop a session generally.

Don't you just like to drive? Burnout for me is all about the moment to moment driving and I love that I'm never taken away from that for menus and loading screens and modes that remove the focus from the great driving (Crash mode is fine and my friends and I had a lot of fun with it in 3 just messing around, but I always just wanted to drive instead)

Also, for maximum intensity, it is important the the track is always clear, which is not the case in an open world environment.

I can drive around most of the city right now in my mind lol, you just need to learn the map. And to your comment,I still marvel at how well the street sign/turn signal system works when you're flying at the speed of light through downtown and still know when and where to turn, even without having memorized the road layouts. I wish some other games would steal and popularize that concept for an open world game. It really helps you just focus on the road and still be able to know exactly when to make your turns.

Last edited:

Yoshi

I don't know what you're talking about, there are play sessions I've had with this game where I'm doing nothing but boosting, I would just open 'er up once the game loaded and try to do the longest Burnout streak possible. For me this was the first one in the series that let me do this sort of thing, Infinite Burnouts so to speak.
Well not infinite, but in Burnout 3, Revenge and Dominator, you could do almost all missions with start to finish boosting and there were even missions requiring that for gold. I have played all three games basically boosting non-stop.
What downtime? Any non-event downtown for me (which you only get a lot of nearing the end) was spent gleefully boosting at full speed in the general direction of the next event intersection I highlighted on the map. I felt like I had more downtime playing 3 being in the menus so much, sometimes I had trouble putting Paradise down because there are no natural pauses - as soon as an event finished, I was boosting again. In 3 the post race menus and endless unlock screens is where I would stop a session generally.

Don't you just like to drive? Burnout for me is all about the moment to moment driving and I love that I'm never taken away from that for menus and loading screens and modes that remove the focus from the great driving (Crash mode is fine and my friends and I had a lot of fun with it in 3 just messing around, but I always just wanted to drive instead)
Well the problem is that there are no stakes, and boosting without anything on the line is much less adrenaline-pumping. So driving around without a task / gold medal on the line is just boring when compared to missions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom