• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Arcadia-

Banned
That's because I'm too awesome and fuzzy 👍

I'm actually more of an anti-establishment, issue by issue kind of person, not necessarily a supporter of any one person or specific movement, but that's besides the point

Taking into account what you and DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi said, let me bring up the example of Toxicadam, a longtime user who was one of the conservative posterboys on gaf until he too was unceremoniously banned for wrongthink.

Callouts were a thing, even wayyyy back in the day, but at that time there was more of a jovial nature to it.

Fastforward to 2012, and you can sort of see the inclinations of the ban baiting culture that was fomenting. He's mentioned several times in that thread.

Fastforward to 2014 and then you have this exchange:

Trolling is sometimes in the eye of the beholder. Again, I'm not equivocating this to DarkestDame. I'm pointing out to be mindful of how echo chambers form, and to be especially suspicious when it forms around opinions that you coincidentally and conveniently happen to agree with; how in the context of dogpiling, perceptions can often be skewed and emotions can be pushed to the edge.

And then ban. It was still felt even 3 years later.

Eventually Evilore noticed and rescinded.

In conclusion, it's complicated and I can't wait to buy a shiny new GeForce RTX 3080™

I may be misunderstanding your point, but I’m having a hard time drawing a throughline from that, to your point, and some truly awful posters getting banned on Gaf today.

I never agreed with ToxicAdam (maybe I would these days, but he always seemed like the Bush/conservative defense force), but he didn’t do anything bannable there.

If the idea is that good posters can be pushed to frustration, and bad posting, and there’s merit to that, that isn’t a good example of it.

I tend to think that there isn’t a single example of an unjust political banning on Gaf yet. I have yet to see a single person who was once a contributor and a good poster, lose it. Rather, they’ve all been kind of rotten since the beginning. Not unlike the behavior of console warriors, but political.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Sure, I try to have some loose joviality toward strangers or else you can't even clown on them. Putting up a total wall isn't healthy. The person might still end up being an asshole but at least it was funny along the way. Showing friendliness doesn't necessarily mean feeling trust. I don't mean to suggest a person should be "fake" friendly just to bait someone. I think genuine trust is healthy. but I do generally want to see whether someone is trustworthy or not before I let my guard down. I could be wrong but I think that's pretty normal for most people and sounds similar to where you're coming from.

I misspoke. My outreach to be friendly, to see the best in them is genuine. It’s just that there’s also deep, deep reservations, and an understanding that I probably won’t see the best from them.

So yeah, pretty much on the same page, with the caveat of me struggling a little bit more towards the distrustful side.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If the idea is that good posters can be pushed to frustration, and bad posting, and there’s merit to that, that isn’t a good example of it.
That was an example of normal, frustrated, behavior that was quickly interpreted as bad posting by those inclined to be his political rivals. Not necessarily what I was getting at in my first post, but more of an example of perceptions dependent on the power dynamic at the time.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Why what? Are folks bickering over that Unreal engine 5 demo, or did another piece of news drop?

Unreal 5, lol. What should have been an awesome day for... everyone, is bait for

GhRkQnT.jpg

Why what? Are folks bickering over that Unreal engine 5 demo, or did another piece of news drop?
So many crazies.... definitely spiked blood pressure while reading some of that shit. Like UE5 being exclusive for PS5 just because it was demonstrated on that system.

I wrote out two different replies here, deleted them both. It's no big deal, I guess. Just, I dunno, I just wish there didn't have to be a line in the sand at all times. Every good thing for one console doesn't have to come at the extreme detriment of the other.

I'm bitching, it's nothing really. Shouldn't have posted about it.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I wrote out two different replies here, deleted them both. It's no big deal, I guess. Just, I dunno, I just wish there didn't have to be a line in the sand at all times. Every good thing for one console doesn't have to come at the extreme detriment of the other.

I'm bitching, it's nothing really. Shouldn't have posted about it.

No, it’s cool. Thread needed a refresh anyway, and the whole thing has been making me laugh, so it’s a positive.

I agree on the line in the sand thing.

Papa

Banned
I think what you’re observing is the moderate left with a sprinkling of conservatives rejecting the radical left. Don’t let the corrupted current_year Overton Window taint your view. The radical left are by no means representative of the left as a whole, and it’s in fact ideologically and politically dangerous to pretend that they are, because then all you do is make it uncool to be a leftist. You force people to the other side and compound the Overton slide. That’s what happened with the right wing when they let Evangelicals hijack their side and browbeat everyone with their ideology.

Current GAF values freedom of speech and individual liberty above all. If you consider yourself a leftist, don’t let the right put a patent on those values by incorrectly labelling people.

If yesterday was bad, today the trolling and handwaving for Tsushima will be worse.

Take a shot every time someone says a variant of "I'm waiting for next gen / what a waste of a game on current-gen hardware"

Right now I am playing

MLB The Show - Season 5 of my Rockies franchise

Gears Tactics - Think I am in Act 3, Chapter 2

DBZ Kakarot - still pretty early, about to fight Vegeta for first time

APEX Legends - just started playing this a few days ago, I suck but it is so addictive

and I am trying to finish FF7R and Doom Eternal but got sidetracked

just bought a bunch of games throughout the various sales going on right now, Greedfall, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Ashen, etc.

TaySan

Banned
Hey what's everyone been playing? Finished Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology. Loved it. Right at end of Nioh 2 loved it all the way through. I played a few runs of Roundguard and damn what a surprise. Lil gem for sure. Peggle/slay the spire like. I want to play a few retro games in upcoming days. Probably some Friday 13th nes and Congo's Caper on Snes.
Halo 2 and it's blast from my past! My fav Halo game in the series.

Nymphae

Banned
OG FF7, had the itch to replay it ever since getting Remake. Think I might do a classic Squaresoft PS1 RPG run after, maybe do 8 and 9 then Xenogears and Chrono Cross.

It's been great playing these PS1 originals I downloaded for PS3 with the dual shock 4 which I just discovered works wirelessly with the PS3.

OG FF7, had the itch to replay it ever since getting Remake. Think I might do a classic Squaresoft PS1 RPG run after, maybe do 8 and 9 then Xenogears and Chrono Cross.

It's been great playing these PS1 originals I downloaded for PS3 with the dual shock 4 which I just discovered works wirelessly with the PS3.

You playing on PC or console? I did a FF7 playthrough on Steam a few months ago and modded the crap out of it, can get the game looking pretty decent for such an old title, nothin drastic but the high-rez backgrouds in particular looked nice.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Rise of the Tomb Raider, mostly.

I really want to do an RTTP for it on Gaf when I finish. It’s not perfect, but it’s been a blast, plus the game, despite being older, can look outright gorgeous on Xbox One X + HDR. The tombs, natural caves and such, just look absolutely ridiculous.

Nymphae

Banned
You playing on PC or console? I did a FF7 playthrough on Steam a few months ago and modded the crap out of it, can get the game looking pretty decent for such an old title, nothin drastic but the high-rez backgrouds in particular looked nice.

Playing on my PS3. I have the Steam versions of 7 & 8 but I don't like the graphics in either and the music in 8 is terrible until you mod in the original soundtrack. I haven't looked at all of the available mods but I have the originals and prefer the look so I just play those.

Last edited:
Playing on my PS3. I have the Steam versions of 7 & 8 but I don't like the graphics in either and the music in 8 is terrible until you mod in the original soundtrack. I haven't looked at all of the available mods but I have the originals and prefer the look so I just play those.

nice

giphy.gif

Something about JRPGs just seems to make them hold up so well decades later. At least, the ones I play...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom