• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesseract

Banned
richard-feynman1.jpg

Each piece, or part, of the whole of nature is always merely an approximation to the complete truth, or the complete truth so far as we know it. In fact, everything we know is only some kind of approximation, because we know that we do not know all the laws as yet. Therefore, things must be learned only to be unlearned again or, more likely, to be corrected. … The test of all knowledge is experiment. Experiment is the sole judge of scientific “truth”.

In general we look for a new law by the following process. First we guess it. Then we compute the consequences of the guess to see what would be implied if this law that we guessed is right. Then we compare the result of the computation to nature, with experiment or experience, compare it directly with observation, to see if it works. If it disagrees with experiment it is wrong. In that simple statement is the key to science. It does not make any difference how beautiful your guess is. It does not make any difference how smart you are, who made the guess, or what his name is – if it disagrees with experiment it is wrong. That is all there is to it.

Tesseract

Banned
tumblr_mlmn0czycb1qdpbx3o2_250.gifv

Our imagination is stretched to the utmost, not, as in fiction, to imagine things which are not really there, but just to comprehend those things which are there.

I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something.

I don't know anything, but I do know that everything is interesting if you go into it deeply enough.

...I don't believe in the idea that there are a few peculiar people capable of understanding math and the rest of the world is normal. Math is a human discovery, and it's no more complicated than humans can understand. I had a calculus book once that said, "What one fool can do, another fool can." What we've been able to work out about nature may look abstract and threatening to someone who hasn't studied it, but it was fools who did it, and in the next generation, all the fools will understand it. There's a tendency to pomposity in all this, to make it all deep and profound...

We absolutely must leave room for doubt or there is no progress and no learning. There is no learning without having to pose a question. And a question requires doubt. People search for certainty. But there is no certainty. People are terrified — how can you live and not know? It is not odd at all. You only think you know, as a matter of fact. And most of your actions are based on incomplete knowledge and you really don't know what it is all about, or what the purpose of the world is, or know a great deal of other things. It is possible to live and not know.

I've always been rather very one-sided about the science, and when I was younger, I concentrated almost all my effort on it. I didn't have time to learn, and I didn't have much patience for what's called the humanities; even though in the university there were humanities that you had to take, I tried my best to avoid somehow to learn anything and to work on it. It's only afterwards, when I've gotten older and more relaxed that I've spread out a little bit — I've learned to draw, and I read a little bit, but I'm really still a very one-sided person and don't know a great deal. I have a limited intelligence and I've used it in a particular direction.

No government has the right to decide on the truth of scientific principles, nor to prescribe in any way the character of the questions investigated. Neither may a government determine the aesthetic value of artistic creations, nor limit the forms of literary or artistic expression. Nor should it pronounce on the validity of economic, historic, religious, or philosophical doctrines. Instead it has a duty to its citizens to maintain the freedom, to let those citizens contribute to the further adventure and the development of the human race.

It is a great adventure to contemplate the universe, beyond man, to contemplate what it would be like without man, as it was in a great part of its long history and as it is in a great majority of places. When this objective view is finally attained, and the mystery and majesty of matter are fully appreciated, to then turn the objective eye back on man viewed as matter, to view life as part of this universal mystery of greatest depth, is to sense an experience which is very rare, and very exciting. It usually ends in laughter and a delight in the futility of trying to understand what this atom in the universe is, this thing — atoms with curiosity — that looks at itself and wonders why it wonders. Well, these scientific views end in awe and mystery, lost at the edge in uncertainty, but they appear to be so deep and so impressive that the theory that it is all arranged as a stage for God to watch man's struggle for good and evil seems inadequate.

It is in the admission of ignorance and the admission of uncertainty that there is a hope for the continuous motion of human beings in some direction that doesn't get confined, permanently blocked, as it has so many times before in various periods in the history of man.

Looking back at the worst times, it always seems that they were times in which there were people who believed with absolute faith and absolute dogmatism in something. And they were so serious in this matter that they insisted that the rest of the world agree with them. And then they would do things that were directly inconsistent with their own beliefs in order to maintain that what they said was true.

People say to me, "Are you looking for the ultimate laws of physics?" No, I'm not. I'm just looking to find out more about the world and if it turns out there is a simple ultimate law which explains everything, so be it; that would be very nice to discover. If it turns out it's like an onion with millions of layers and we're just sick and tired of looking at the layers, then that's the way it is!… And therefore when we go to investigate we shouldn’t pre-decide what it is we are trying to do except to find out more about it… My interest in science is to simply find out more about the world.

I can live with doubt, and uncertainty, and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. I have approximate answers, and possible beliefs, and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I'm not absolutely sure of anything. There are many things I don't know anything about, such as whether it means anything to ask "Why are we here?" I might think about it a little bit, and if I can't figure it out then I go on to something else. But I don't have to know an answer. I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in the mysterious universe without having any purpose — which is the way it really is, as far as I can tell. Possibly. It doesn't frighten me.

Tesseract

Banned

Doubting the great Descartes … was a reaction I learned from my father: Have no respect whatsoever for authority; forget who said it and instead look what he starts with, where he ends up, and ask yourself, "Is it reasonable?"

The most important thing I found out from [my father] is that if you asked any question and pursued it deeply enough, then at the end there was a glorious discovery of a general and beautiful kind.

Tesseract

Banned
dunno where else to post this stuff, don't wanna create a bunch of new threads or dig up old bones

bless up for 12:40 am est meta gaf feynman bombs

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
dunno where else to post this stuff, don't wanna create a bunch of new threads or dig up old bones

bless up for 12:40 am est meta gaf feynman bombs

i spy with my little eye a Rentahamster Rentahamster

Jooxed

Gold Member
Well we now have over confirmed 20 cases I have gone from a 17 person kitchen staff down to 2 cooks and 4 server's including my food and beverage supervisor testing positive. which her desk is next time mine in the directors office. I took my test on Friday and my test came back negative surprisingly because I wasn't feeling well.

We now have a CDC/Health Department trailer parked out behind our building to do building wide tests starting on Thursday so I expect our case count to jump significantly. Only 2 deaths so far which I guess is low in the grand scheme of things.

Hope everyone is staying well.

-Arcadia-

Banned
The people that are left wing get banned and tagged right now. It's apart of the culture. Better to just chill and make knock knock jokes if you wanna survive.

Kind of the truth.

Thing is, that also dovetails with people that are left wing, tending to act completely deranged and disruptive to communities.

A leftist that was capable of more than just disingenuous arguments, Orange Man Bad, and constant incitement, would do just fine, even if they did indeed think Orange Man was Bad. Unfortunately, there aren’t a whole lot of those left.

Kind of the truth.

Thing is, that also dovetails with people that are left wing, tending to act completely deranged and disruptive to communities.

A leftist that was capable of more than just disingenuous arguments, Orange Man Bad, and constant incitement, would do just fine, even if they did indeed think Orange Man was Bad. Unfortunately, there aren’t a whole lot of those left.

cNNjEhZ.jpg

Well done.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Well we now have over confirmed 20 cases I have gone from a 17 person kitchen staff down to 2 cooks and 4 server's including my food and beverage supervisor testing positive. which her desk is next time mine in the directors office. I took my test on Friday and my test came back negative surprisingly because I wasn't feeling well.

We now have a CDC/Health Department trailer parked out behind our building to do building wide tests starting on Thursday so I expect our case count to jump significantly. Only 2 deaths so far which I guess is low in the grand scheme of things.

Hope everyone is staying well.

I’m really happy your test was negative. It sounds like a really scary situation, though.

I’ve maintained all throughout that Corona most likely (not always) isn’t going to be too bad for you, unless you’re older, compromised in some way, etc., but that said, I certainly wouldn’t want my workplace to start coming down with the stuff left and right.

Stay safe, and just do your best with the no-doubt increasing workload. Try not to stress too much. (Hug) Looking forward to the day where we put all this behind us.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The people that are left wing get banned and tagged right now. It's apart of the culture. Better to just chill and make knock knock jokes if you wanna survive.
Bullllllllshit
Playing GAF's Loki again I see. Just you wait until Australia wakes up *shakes fist*
Kind of the truth.

Dick sorta has a point. There was a phenomenon back in the day where seemingly normal "conservative" or "conservative leaning" posters would mysteriously go temporarily crazy. They'd get so overwhelmingly dogpiled by the "liberal" posters that some of them just gave up, and some of them got so frustrated to the point of committing bannable actions. The justifications were the same too. "Well, they should have stopped being so shitty", or "That's what they get for having shit opinions".

This, of course, isn't an exact equivalence, but there are shades of similarity in terms of group dynamics and social interaction. At the end of the day, my advice to either side was usually to "deal with it".

-Arcadia-

Banned
Dick sorta has a point. There was a phenomenon back in the day where seemingly normal "conservative" or "conservative leaning" posters would mysteriously go temporarily crazy. They'd get so overwhelmingly dogpiled by the "liberal" posters that some of them just gave up, and some of them got so frustrated to the point of committing bannable actions. The justifications were the same too. "Well, they should have stopped being so shitty", or "That's what they get for having shit opinions".

This, of course, isn't an exact equivalence, but there are shades of similarity in terms of group dynamics and social interaction. At the end of the day, my advice to either side was usually to "deal with it".

Disagree.

Mods back then handed out bans on a hair trigger — see the Bish memes.

Our mods today are extremely patient, take into account context and frustration, and try to work with problem posters to rehabilitate them (starting out softly, and escalating to harshly), with many chances given with warnings, bans, and temporary tags.

If you manage to get banned on current Gaf, you very likely earned it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Disagree.

Mods back then handed out bans on a hair trigger — see the Bish memes.

Our mods today are extremely patient, take into account context and frustration, and try to work with problem posters to rehabilitate them (starting out softly, and escalating to harshly), with many chances given with warnings, bans, and temporary tags.

If you manage to get banned on current Gaf, you very likely earned it.
What I mean is that they got "justifiably" banned, but I feel that it's in part not being able to handle the stress of being dogpiled. It's one thing for a person to be told that they're wrong, but it feels a lot different when 10 people chime in to tell you that (sometimes in a not so nice fashion), and you feel like you're combating a horde. It can be very unsettling to the psychologically unprepared.

-Arcadia-

Banned
What I mean is that they got "justifiably" banned, but I feel that it's in part not being able to handle the stress of being dogpiled. It's one thing for a person to be told that they're wrong, but it feels a lot different when 10 people chime in to tell you that (sometimes in a not so nice fashion), and you feel like you're combating a horde. It can be very unsettling to the psychologically unprepared.

Not to sound argumentative, as that’s a really good point, but it is worth noting that Darkest Dame and his ilk, were generally looking for trouble right from the start, and never let up.

As Matt pointed out, you don’t just make 50 innocent posts, make a beeline for politics, then never post anywhere else again, unless you had an agenda in mind from the start.

In my opinion and observations, it tends to be that kind of poster that gets ‘dogpiled’ around here. Even you yourself, as a Bernie supporter, seem to generally be treated well.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Which is another difference from the old days.

Back then, left leaning posters would actively bait and prod right leaning ones, just trying to get along, or express an opinion. The kind of, ‘Oh, you’re a Nazi, huh?’, defamation of character that’s become very famous since then.

I don’t really see the same on modern Gaf. I could be wrong, but again, it seems like anyone having a hard time from users, really did something to earn it.

I think Rentahamster Rentahamster and -Arcadia- -Arcadia- are both right: "controversial" users get stressed out when dogpiled. The dogpiling might be unfair, or it might be like this:

HMAWVKjINLsJoSRFmV6_aX84t2msvZ0FOcShXbP94Rs.jpg

In either case, that's stressful unless the person is 100% trolling and doesn't care. It might make them even more combative and stuck in their ways if treated that way. Sure. But they might also be trolling.

Which is what arcadia brings up, and I think a rational internet user in 2020 has to accept that a not-zero number of online users will be straight-up garbo and will have no intention of engaging with you honestly, no matter what. Kinda sad, but that has been my experience since childhood. Can anyone say that isn't the case?

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Which is what arcadia brings up, and I think a rational internet user in 2020 has to accept that online users will be straight-up garbo and will have no intention of engaging with you honestly, no matter what. Kinda sad, but that has been my experience since childhood. Can anyone say that isn't the case?

Tangent, but this is my experience.

I took it one step further, though, and applied it to people in general. The day that I accepted that, my happiness vastly increased.

Assholes are always going to exist, but if one accepts that, is prepared for it, and is generally focused on interactions with good people, it’s a lot more manageable. I’d almost consider lowered expectations essential to participating in the world.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

Tangent, but this is my experience.

I took it one step further, though, and applied it to people in general. The day that I accepted that, my happiness vastly increased.

Assholes are always going to exist, but if one accepts that, is prepared for it, and is generally focused on interactions with good people, it’s a lot more manageable. I’d almost consider lowered expectations essential to participating in the world.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”
It was very hard for me to give people the benefit of the doubt when I was in that mindset.

I do agree with the general sentiment that you should expect/demand very little out of others. I also think one should generally get to know people cautiously, but willing to be friendly. I have a family so I have to balance positivity with pragmatic suspicion.

But lowering and maintaining lowered expectations without coming up for air can be depressing, in my experience.

-Arcadia-

Banned
It was very hard for me to give people the benefit of the doubt when I was in that mindset.

I do agree with the general sentiment that you should expect/demand very little out of others. I also think one should generally get to know people cautiously, but willing to be friendly. I have a family so I have to balance positivity with pragmatic suspicion.

But lowering and maintaining lowered expectations without coming up for air can be depressing, in my experience.

It’s definitely a balancing act.

Outside of those very close to me, I struggle with dis-attachment to people. I can throw them away without thinking twice about it (only if necessary, of course), and that kind of isn’t a good place to be, especially when building new relationships with important people in your life. It takes a long time for me to get to where I really feel comfortable and trusting with someone.

I do always try to extend warmest greetings and friendliness, though. To give people a chance to be their best. That’s important, and I think what you’re getting at.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Even you yourself, as a Bernie supporter, seem to generally be treated well.
That's because I'm too awesome and fuzzy 👍

I'm actually more of an anti-establishment, issue by issue kind of person, not necessarily a supporter of any one person or specific movement, but that's besides the point

Taking into account what you and DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi said, let me bring up the example of Toxicadam, a longtime user who was one of the conservative posterboys on gaf until he too was unceremoniously banned for wrongthink.

Callouts were a thing, even wayyyy back in the day, but at that time there was more of a jovial nature to it.

Fastforward to 2012, and you can sort of see the inclinations of the ban baiting culture that was fomenting. He's mentioned several times in that thread.

Fastforward to 2014 and then you have this exchange:

ITT poor people get to shit on and generalize about rich people to temporarily make themselves feel good for a fleeting few seconds.

I can't tell if you're worse at trolling or reading the thread to know what you're talking about.

All three.

I can tell he's best at watching Fox News.

awww .. siiick burn, bro.

Trolling is sometimes in the eye of the beholder. Again, I'm not equivocating this to DarkestDame. I'm pointing out to be mindful of how echo chambers form, and to be especially suspicious when it forms around opinions that you coincidentally and conveniently happen to agree with; how in the context of dogpiling, perceptions can often be skewed and emotions can be pushed to the edge.

And then ban. It was still felt even 3 years later.

Eventually Evilore noticed and rescinded.

ToxicAdam, permed for pushing back against shitting on rich people? Unbanned, emailed.

In conclusion, it's complicated and I can't wait to buy a shiny new GeForce RTX 3080™

It’s definitely a balancing act.

Outside of those very close to me, I struggle with dis-attachment to people. I can throw them away without thinking twice about it (only if necessary, of course), and that kind of isn’t a good place to be, especially when building new relationships with important people in your life. It takes a long time for me to get to where I really feel comfortable and trusting with someone.

I do always try to extend warmest greetings and friendliness, though. To give people a chance to be their best. That’s important, and I think what you’re getting at.
Sure, I try to have some loose joviality toward strangers or else you can't even clown on them. Putting up a total wall isn't healthy. The person might still end up being an asshole but at least it was funny along the way. Showing friendliness doesn't necessarily mean feeling trust. I don't mean to suggest a person should be "fake" friendly just to bait someone. I think genuine trust is healthy. but I do generally want to see whether someone is trustworthy or not before I let my guard down. I could be wrong but I think that's pretty normal for most people and sounds similar to where you're coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom