• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
So, both sides, then?

You’re on the right track, but you aren’t quite there yet.

*sigh* Looks to me like you're in danger of becoming the reverse of Nobody_Important Nobody_Important - truly tragic if so. Saying 'both sides' as if that is an argument is as bad as when an SJW says 'whataboutery' as if that's an argument - don't be an SJW. Is it so bad to hold both sides to account when bullshit is spouted? Personally I'd consider it intellectually dishonest not to do so.

-Arcadia-

Banned
*sigh* Looks to me like you're in danger of becoming the reverse of Nobody_Important Nobody_Important - truly tragic if so. Saying 'both sides' as if that is an argument is as bad as when an SJW says 'whataboutery' as if that's an argument - don't be an SJW. Is it so bad to hold both sides to account when bullshit is spouted? Personally I'd consider it intellectually dishonest not to do so.

Definitely both sides.

You’ve done nothing but brush off criticisms and concerns since we started this conversation, and now are trying to deflect in a holier-than-thou, above it all/both sides act.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely both sides.

You’ve done nothing but brush off criticisms and concerns since we started this conversation, and now are trying to deflect in a holier-than-thou, above it all/both sides act.

You choose to insult me rather than consider the validity of what I have to say, that's unfortunate. I get the feeling I've caught you on a bad day as you're usually a decent enough poster, so I'll jump out here and see if we're both still feeling grumpy in a few days.

-Arcadia-

Banned
You choose to insult me rather than consider the validity of what I have to say, that's unfortunate.

Show me where I insulted you once? Harsh truth, yes. You on the other hand, have called my posts bullshit, intellectually dishonest, and compared me to the worst member on the forum.

I get the feeling I've caught you on a bad day as you're usually a decent enough poster, so I'll jump out here and see if we're both still feeling grumpy in a few days.

If we flip that to you, yup. Except, I would call you an excellent poster, versus constant passive aggressive stabs.

You came up with that yourself.

I’m saying that people are an important platform, regardless of where you go. Likewise, we’re more than a gaming forum, with 2/3rds of the site dedicated to general or political discussion — also one of the few boards on the internet to not have heavy ideological moderation.
I'm trying to get a feel for what you believe. Isn't that what you're here for? I agree that people are important, but conversation itself can be vapid and worthless. There's no guarantee that any of the people nor the conversations you encounter online will be genuine, so you can't give them a fundamental value, even if that value is $0.01.

I also agree that it's refreshing to see open discussion on a lot of topics on GAF. That is uncommon on a lot of the bigger sites but isn't a dying breed by any means.

Neither do I. You presume too much about me.
Not presuming anything. Just sharing my own perspective, since that's generally the way one displays their willingness to converse and learn.

This is hopeful fan-fiction.
Idealogues can't refute.

Why am I being too hopeful? What parts of that do you find implausible?

Of course. You’re not saying anything not known by people as early as 2014. You don’t need to win on meritocracy, when you’ve subverted every institution, and are the only player on the board.
lol people who've known this "as early" as 2014 are late to the party, too. This is just one vanguard effort of an ideological thrust that is decades old.

The assuming things about me is getting old fast. Nobody is “afraid”. That said, if you think this is a paper tiger, with the amount of cultural power, and lives ruined along the way, even right here on this forum, I recommend you reassess.
Not assuming anything about you. Again, just talking and expressing my own thoughts and impressions.

"It looks big and powerful, therefore you're a fool to disregard it" is the very nature of a paper tiger. You've assumed that I came to these conclusions without constant reassessment over months and years. I call this ideology a paper tiger because it keeps catching fire and causing damage to itself and others instead of building anything meaningful, anything that lasts and stands the test of time.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I couldn’t help but laugh when I bumped into this just now.

Here’s a plan of action that won the Pulitzer, likely to soon go into curriculums soon, about redefining the US’ history to all future generations, as one built on slavery.

No problems though, right, according to some of you?

-Arcadia-

Banned
I'm trying to get a feel for what you believe. Isn't that what you're here for?

:messenger_expressionless:

Idealogues can't refute.

Totally not presuming anything, huh?

Why am I being too hopeful? What parts of that do you find implausible?

This is such a weird argument. Maybe follow world news for a single day? The trends are not indicating this abating any time soon or at all. In fact, I’d say that the burden of proof is on you, to prove that a world off its axis right now, will magically spring back into shape somehow.

"It looks big and powerful, therefore you're a fool to disregard it" is the very nature of a paper tiger. You've assumed that I came to these conclusions without constant reassessment over months and years. I call this ideology a paper tiger because it keeps catching fire and causing damage to itself and others instead of building anything meaningful, anything that lasts and stands the test of time.

So, you don’t consider complete cultural domination and control meaningful? All the talk provided over the last few pages? If that was your reassessment, you need to try again.

:messenger_expressionless:

Totally not presuming anything, huh?

This is such a weird argument. Maybe follow world news for a single day? The trends are not indicating this abating any time soon or at all. In fact, I’d say that the burden of proof is on you, to prove that a world off its axis right now, will magically spring back into shape somehow.

So, you don’t consider complete cultural domination and control meaningful? All the talk provided over the last few pages? If that was your reassessment, you need to try again.
You've gone full NPC. I get these same responses -- down to the same phrasing, strawmanning, and stubborn dismissal of anything said -- from the gems on Politics board.

Maybe take a break? I've been warning about the ideological intrusion into gaming since before you opened your GAF account

People got offended by the police in Spider-Man PS4.

If people still want to believe subverting so-called "Gamer culture" wasn't a vanguard effort for this ideology, I don't know what to tell you. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

but somehow you find a way to get combative with me on this topic. You're getting so zealous that you're snapping at people with whom you have common ground.

-Arcadia-

Banned
but somehow you find a way to get combative with me on this topic. You're getting so zealous that you're snapping at people with whom you have common ground.

Mm-hmm. I’m getting combative with your weasel words, attacks, and stuffing them in my mouth.

You've gone full NPC. I get these same responses -- down to the same phrasing, strawmanning, and stubborn dismissal of anything said -- from the gems on Politics board.

Maybe take a break?

Yup. Projection much?

I've been warning about the ideological intrusion into gaming since before you opened your GAF account

The internet is more than just Gaf. I’ve been doing this for a lot longer... than I want to admit.

Nymphae

Banned
ysL55bJ.gif

-Arcadia-

Banned
Going to say that it’s personally disappointing to see you conduct an argument in the vein of Nobody Important and his ilk.

That’s the reality, though. The flaws of humanity are not limited to the left.

But anyway, I’m with Nym’s gif, am ready to stop playing Dueling Novels, and get back to having fun. My position is well documented.

Mm-hmm. I’m getting combative with your weasel words, attacks, and stuffing them in my mouth.
Oh the unprovoked insults are coming out. Snore.

Is the doomsday so terrifying that you come to a videogame forum to save our souls? This is what I originally posed but it went over your head. If you're serious about your concerns, why waste time with me or literally anyone else on this forum? There are bigger platforms and more fertile grounds to convince.

Looks like the same lazy radical's trajectory.

Yup. Projection much?
The single bites of word salad are unbearable. You used to actually post complete sentences and thoughtful replies. Now you seem bitter and hostile.

This is the Metagaf thread, nor your personal ideological awakening thread. Go to Politics instead of browbeating the rest of us about the impending ideological battle that we stand in the midst of.

The internet is more than just Gaf. I’ve been doing this for a lot longer... than I want to admit.
Your appeal to past experience is meaningless and shows that you misunderstand why I mentioned that quote.

My intention was to show that you are snapping at someone who agrees with some of your standpoints, which is what I pointed out.

But instead your take is "yeah okay but my forum peen is bigger". That's not... rational.

-Arcadia-

Banned

Is the doomsday so terrifying that you come to a videogame forum to save our souls? This is what I originally posed but it went over your head. If you're serious about your concerns, why waste time with me or literally anyone else on this forum? There are bigger platforms and more fertile grounds to convince.

The single bites of word salad are unbearable. You used to actually post complete sentences and thoughtful replies. Now you seem bitter and hostile.

This is the Metagaf thread, nor your personal ideological awakening thread. Go to Politics instead of browbeating the rest of us about the impending ideological battle that we stand in the midst of.

Your appeal to past experience is meaningless and shows that you misunderstand why I mentioned that quote.

My intention was to show that you are snapping at someone who agrees with some of your standpoints, which is what I pointed out.

But instead your take is "yeah okay but my forum peen is bigger". That's not... rational.

Yeah, have fun. I’m not wasting any more time. You’re well into the ‘NPC’ type rhetoric of inventing an opponent, conducting dishonest arguments, and dragging it on for pages. Take or leave what I said.

I lost a lot of respect for you today.

One thing though — try making a substantive, interesting conversation next time, instead of the formerly mentioned rhetoric mixed into actual, meaningless word salad (so much that I could strip every post down to a couple of lines), and such conversations will go entirely differently.

You get what you put out. You entered a conversation in bad faith from the beginning, I gave you a chance, and it kept happening.

Last edited:
Yeah, have fun. I’m not wasting any more time. You’re well into the ‘NPC’ type rhetoric of inventing and opponent, conducting dishonest arguments, and dragging it on for pages. Take or leave what I said.

I lost a lot of respect for you today.

One thing though — try making a substantive, interesting conversation next time, instead of the formerly mentioned rhetoric mixed into actual, meaningless word salad (so much that I could strip every post down to a couple of lines), and such conversations will go entirely differently.

You get what you put out. You entered a conversation in bad faith from the beginning, I gave you a chance, and it kept happening.
You're ascribing motive to me and I'm still confused how you even got to this point. I seem to have enraged you, been sized up and dismissed by you, and now lectured by you without even knowing the sin I committed.

Snap out of it.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Ah, screw it. Let’s detail this:

Did I insult you, or tell the truth passively all along? You on the other hand, immediately jumped to comparing me to NPCs, and the worst posters on this board

Is the doomsday so terrifying that you come to a videogame forum to save our souls?

As from the beginning, ascribing motives to me that don’t exist. Makes for very convenient strawmen, huh?

This is what I originally posed but it went over your head. If you're serious about your concerns, why waste time with me or literally anyone else on this forum? There are bigger platforms and more fertile grounds to convince.

I’m still trying to “convince” people, versus having a conversation, huh? How about be honest?

Lovely. Strawmanning and insults. And you have the nerve to feign outrage at me?

This sentence is a masterpiece of projection. Take a prolonged look at what you’ve been posting in this thread. Seriously. Calm down, forget about me, and take a look.

Vyse asked me a question. I was having a conversation with him. You and whats-his-face initiated one with me. The dishonesty and attempt to misrepresent my character and behavior is ridiculous.

Then don’t act like this is Day 1 of Clown World, and you don’t understand a thing that’s going on.

We’re not immediately the superfriends because we agree on some things. Your behavior here for example, is disgusting, and your arguments shallow, poor, and ill-considered.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Tbh I’ve never known DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi to enter a conversation in bad faith. He’s generally a laid back thoughtful poster who is capable of calling out SJW crap when needed - honestly I think the attacks are unwarranted.

Receipts, now.

Show me an unprovoked attack. Not debate, not complaints about how he was approaching the debate, but an actual attack, before he started up with NPC, and the like.

Ah, screw it. Let’s detail this:

Did I insult you, or tell the truth passively all along? You on the other hand, immediately jumped to comparing me to NPCs, and the worst posters on this board

As from the beginning, ascribing motives to me that don’t exist. Makes for very convenient strawmen, huh?

I’m still trying to “convince” people, versus having a conversation, huh? How about be honest?

Lovely. Strawmanning and insults. And you have the nerve to feign outrage at me?

This sentence is a masterpiece of projection. Take a prolonged look at what you’ve been posting in this thread. Seriously. Calm down, forget about me, and take a look.

Vyse asked me a question. I was having a conversation with him. You and whats-his-face initiated one with me. The dishonesty and attempt to misrepresent my character and behavior is ridiculous.

Then don’t act like this is Day 1 of Clown World, and you don’t understand a thing that’s going on.

We’re not immediately the superfriends because we agree on some things. Your behavior here for example, is disgusting, and your arguments shallow, poor, and ill-considered.
Why are you re-quoting me to argue things we've already discussed? It's not like you bothered to answer me the first time, but now you're circling back to non-answer me a second time?

Gee this thread is so on track. I'm having such a fun time everyone. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You're wrong about me, but it seems like I could type anything or nothing and it would not take you off the warpath.

Did you have any other fanfictions to share about me?

-Arcadia-

Banned
And, I am genuinely done there. Come back with a real debate.

Forum posting is supposed to be fun, intellectually stimulating, and thought provoking.

As I said before multiple times, because I’m apparently waging my ideological crusade, I want to get back to fun in Meta Gaf. You guys do what you like.

We’ll see if he provides them, and honestly.

Now, can we get back to Meta Gaf, or are you done waging your ideological crusade? :messenger_winking:
You've demanded -- and then backed out -- of the thread multiple times already. What's once or twice more?

It's not like you'd self-reflect if he quoted pages upon pages of bad behavior anyway. Let's keep making it all about you.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Guess not. I am though. I’ve returned to this conversation a few times, because I thought the outrageousness of your claims deserved a counter. Similarly, if I get made-up receipts, I’ll be back then too.

For now, this:

is where my attention should be going, as well as the most fun, casual thread on Gaf returning to that. Bye now.

I think you both are great GAFers.

Out before I get called an Arcadia/DunDun shill. I mean it though, consistently articulate and thoughtful posts from both of you

also, off topic but:

Is there a concerted effort to tear down Elektro Demon's alts?

MetaGAF needs an injection of Birdo Birdo when he gets un-banned. Hopefully matt doesn't Welcome him back in a Thread as it is the typical curse.

Please save us Birdo Birdo !

and show us the best of Nanny State UK whilst you are at it!

Is there a concerted effort to tear down Elektro Demon's alts?

All the mods need to do is Username ban the words "Shit", "Fat Prostitute", "Toilet" and "Threadmaker", he will surely have to try and think around those!

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I feel like I argue from a very optimistic place. I expect people to make sense, not try ‘the big book ‘o dishonest tactics and character assassination’, and to build an understanding together.

Ofc, that never fucking happens. Lol. Well, almost never.

I hate to start this up again, which will indubitably happen. I’m naturally conflict-adverse. I do it if it’s necessary, but point being, is that I don’t really have that rough mindset naturally, where I can have fun with people acting like that, and push back on them.

I can do it, but it isn’t me. But yeah, maybe it’s time to learn.

Papa

Banned
I feel like I argue from a very optimistic place. I expect people to make sense, not try ‘the big book ‘o dishonest tactics and character assassination’, and to build an understanding together.

Ofc, that never fucking happens. Lol. Well, almost never.

I hate to start this up again, which will indubitably happen. I’m naturally conflict-adverse. I do it if it’s necessary, but point being, is that I don’t really have that rough mindset naturally, where I can have fun with people acting like that, and push back on them.

I can do it, but it isn’t me. But yeah, maybe it’s time to learn.

No one is born with a good sense of humour. Just because you don’t think you can do it now doesn’t mean you can’t learn. If the cult is as embedded in academia and media as we think, the most effective tactic is to mock them and diminish their power in the eyes of the masses. No one likes to be mocked, least of all those in power.

I really, really would like to just tell you that you’re right.

Some people are in pockets. Geographical, rural, social, etc.

Those pockets aren’t the reality.

These people (and that is the woke, to be clear) control movies. They control music. They control games. They control books. They control the news. They control Kindergarten to college education. They control every major entertainment site on the internet. Almost every forum.

In the right state, or country, they control the law. Say the wrong thing, even just a crack about genders, on Twitter in the UK, and you’ll immediately get an in-person visit from the police.

They control the corporate world, and can end your job in an instant if you say the wrong thing. They control platforms, and regularly end the voices of problem people. They control things as simple as your bank account, and have in fact denied service to famous conservative figures.

As we’ve seen with Trump, whether some want to admit it or not, they control the FBI and the CIA, with the wreckage and entrapment of multiple lives, like Flynn, because it was Her Turn (tm).

They control popular narratives like Russia, and with all those apparatuses, can guide and instruct an entire populace on how and what to think for years.

That is what normal, decent people are up against, in its totality.

Resetera world isn’t an eventuality, yet, but it is frighteningly closer than most would want to admit.
I don't see it where I live. Let me be clear, ResetEra has a bunch of cancel culture idiots along with mentally unstable, attention-seeking losers who maybe also use social media sites like Twitter to push some stupid agenda. But these people wouldn't survive in the real world. They are not the Illuminati. You maybe have companies like Disney and EA pushing for more inclusivity in character roles based on race and gender, and maybe some pretentious college students who share how enlightened they are because they can't think for themselves, but an actual "ResetEra world" i.e. North Korea-style America, I don't see it. And if ResetEra's numbers are declining then I think that also speaks to any influence they might have on the real world, given we as humans are more connected to the internet than ever before. It shows the losers are losing. Go figure.

Tesseract

Banned
screeching lunatics will always pave roads to hell against overwhelming odds, it's the name of the game in a system where every idea is deconstructed rainbow dreams

individuality matters, the existential price you pay for a place like 2020_gaf is long hours of vigilance and a shell shocked soul

Papa

Banned
I don't see it where I live. Let me be clear, ResetEra has a bunch of cancel culture idiots along with mentally unstable, attention-seeking losers who maybe also use social media sites like Twitter to push some stupid agenda. But these people wouldn't survive in the real world. They are not the Illuminati. You maybe have companies like Disney and EA pushing for more inclusivity in character roles based on race and gender, and maybe some pretentious college students who share how enlightened they are because they can't think for themselves, but an actual "ResetEra world" i.e. North Korea-style America, I don't see it. And if ResetEra's numbers are declining then I think that also speaks to any influence they might have on the real world, given we as humans are more connected to the internet than ever before. It shows the losers are losing. Go figure.

Don't think she was talking about Resetera specifically. Clearly, they have very little influence and are in decline. They are just useful idiots who have fallen into a toxic ideology pushed by their masters. I believe she was taking aim at the masters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom