• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I did not interpret Tess's intent as a literal threat. I can't speak for him though, nor does it matter what I think. But it would be nice to see some of the regulars who have been let go the past couple months get another chance. During a year of lockdowns shooting the shit with some of those chaps helped a lot of boring hours pass by, and they generally seemed like normal dudes who just liked blabbing about games and politics. I understand why the conspiracy stuff was banned, and honestly a lot of it needed to go because some was just absurd. Just another chance for some of these guys seems reasonable now that the message is loud and clear.
I honestly believe that the post he was tagged in for banning which was a response to one of fudge's bait posts was not the one that got him banned. He went on a rant afterward defending the January 6th riots immediately after that post. That's why I highly doubt mods are going to overturn the ban. Seems like he'd been sitting on this since January and was able to keep quiet about it for a time. Not sure what triggered him to post about that but...that is a topic which is heavily modded for good reason. I like Tess as much as the next guy but January 6th was nothing short of domestic terrorism and isn't a justifiable inicident.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I like Tess as much as the next guy but January 6th was nothing short of domestic terrorism and isn't a justifiable inicident.

Partisanship is one hell of a drug.

It’s rare to find lefties who condemn the blamtifa riots and righties who condemn the capitol assault.

I still remember in my country seeing lefties march to defend Castro and righties march to defend Pinochet :lollipop_flores:

Last edited:

Orenji Neko

I read more than post。More these days than ever with out my daughter living at home to assist cleaning up what I type。It takes me a while to do that myself with every post (i do not trouble my wife with these things ハハ)too slow to really converse。I enjoyed Tesseract-san's input though I live in US for over two decade and have half US family I do not care for politics of any side。I do not know if something external caused his response but I hope he is well and I wish him well。 To Tesseract I sayー

strengthandhonor.gif

Take care
Cat Hello GIF by ASPCA

TheContact

when i saw tess banned i figured it was requested--he's one of the last people i thought would have been banned here. he's usually level headed and cool, but i won't speculate on why his last posts were seemingly out of character for him. hope he's doing OK in life because this doesn't seem like something he would say if he was thinking clearly. he will be missed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I’m going to say it: if you guys could handle the fact people who have a different opinion exist and didn’t think of them as “weasels”, perhaps we’d have a healthier politics board and maybe Tesseract wouldn’t have been permed.

"Weasel" was obviously used in the context of reporting, not for simply having different opinions.

I honestly believe that the post he was tagged in for banning which was a response to one of fudge's bait posts was not the one that got him banned. He went on a rant afterward defending the January 6th riots immediately after that post. That's why I highly doubt mods are going to overturn the ban. Seems like he'd been sitting on this since January and was able to keep quiet about it for a time. Not sure what triggered him to post about that but...that is a topic which is heavily modded for good reason. I like Tess as much as the next guy but January 6th was nothing short of domestic terrorism and isn't a justifiable inicident.

I knew somebody would take this angle with his post. Read it again, he said he supported peaceful protesting, not rioting.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh great we lost a great poster because of the politics subforum and here you go and come with tactics straight from the politics subforum.

I just pointed out what I thought was a clear misunderstanding on your behalf of why the word "weasel" was used. You seemed to think it was used simply because the people in question had different opinions, but to me it seemed apparent that it was used in regards to the behavior of reporting and trying to get people banned.

I don't see how that is "tactics straight from the politics subforum," but I also don't even know what you mean by that...

Peggies

Gold Member
Partisanship is one hell of a drug.

It’s rare to find lefties who condemn the blamtifa riots and righties who condemn the capitol assault.

I still remember in my country seeing lefties march to defend Castro and righties march to defend Pinochet :lollipop_flores:
That's exactly my point!

In my country the lefties (and I used to be one of them) marched with the "Grey Wolfes" - who are turkish Neonazis - in gender segregated blocks and called it a demo against Islamophobia and all the ones who found that peculiar were called Nazis.

It should be possible to discuss a topic without the "left" or "right" narrative. When something or someone is shit, it shouldn't matter what party they are in or where they come from.

I give the eye roll reaction if it’s an especially stupid post or just personal attacks. Gotta give the people what they want.

Nah you decide in your head it's "especially stupid" when in reality it's well thought out and something you just disagree with. I'd pull examples but you limit your profile (probably for this exact reason, so people have to go digging for your hypocrisy). I'll agree with you personal attacks aren't warranted but you don't exactly do yourself any favors when you shitpost/shitreact. Trollish behaviour begets Trollish behaviour.

Politics continues to tear everyone apart.
Are we still operating under the "no second chances" policy that you've made recently?

I assume there really is no way back for Tesseract?

Only I think the context of what was being said and history of the two people posting were important in this instance and I'm sad to see Tess go.

I know I'm not the only one here who would go to bat for him.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Aye, the Politics board can be a death trap if you go in there with the wrong mentality.

I had to force myself out of a couple of threads after getting a little too heated.
Politics is the forum equivalent of Lucifer. I did a few common sense posts and they went by smoothly, but, especially when its US oriented (And the lot of threads naturally is) i rather not poke at a potential beehive.

Not that it matters though. Everywhere tensions are rising. We have elections in 2 weeks in the midst of a shoddily done coronacrisismanagement scenario.
Shit. I say we ban the politics board at this point. This community was well on its way to recovery and I feel like it's taken a step back recently. Maybe we could keep politics to a few threads in off-topic? IDK. Sucks man.
Agreed. I take emotions are running heavily in there to the point where reasonable discoures becomes impossible.
I really miss those guys. I think Brap and Cunth are still around but they hardly post anymore. Same with Arcadia. Too many lost.
You still have me.

Not that i am any good, though.
It's time to stand up and become the inner brap that you have deep in your heart.
stan marsh laughing GIF by South Park

Matt got banned and the others left, I assume. Wish all of them the best of luck and safety.
Matt didn't get banned. He requested an account closure, far as i know. And that's only because he couldn't express himself in the style he wanted to.

Its interesting what that does to you if that gets taken away.
Politics continues to tear everyone apart.
So how go from this? As it stands, this thread has slowly become another Ban Justice/Discussion thread, so there is clearly a need to discuss these things. But as the BJ (no pun intended) thread got locked up, most of the discussion went here. How should this move forward?

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Are we still operating under the "no second chances" policy that you've made recently?

I assume there really is no way back for Tesseract?

Only I think the context of what was being said and history of the two people posting were important in this instance and I'm sad to see Tess go.

I know I'm not the only one here who would go to bat for him.
Maybe in a couple of months when things calm down (hopefully) if they email looking for another chance, maybe the position will have softened to allow another chance. I dont envy the mods here as everyone is wired on social media/forums.

T8SC

Only question is how you get unbanned. Do you want it on your feet...or on your fucking knees...begging? I ain't much for begging and nobody ever gave me nothin'. So I say, "Fuck that ban! Let's fight it!"

Alien-3-Quotes-Begging.jpg

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'm sure if tess wanted back he could email evil or the other mods? I think most of us are in agreement we'd like him back but tess needs to want to come back.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Only question is how you get unbanned. Do you want it on your feet...or on your fucking knees...begging? I ain't much for begging and nobody ever gave me nothin'. So I say, "Fuck that ban! Let's fight it!"

Alien-3-Quotes-Begging.jpg
Congrats, That's a pretty obscure reference. I hate that damn movie. Taken on its own it's fine but it's not the sequel I wanted.

Last edited:

T8SC

Congrats, That's a pretty obscure reference. I hate that damn movie. Taken on its own it's fine but it's not the sequel I wanted.

The assembly cut is much better if you've not seen it, and the Blu-Ray version has better audio (They brought the original cast back to re-read the lines).

Worth a watch if you've not seen it.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I knew somebody would take this angle with his post. Read it again, he said he supported peaceful protesting, not rioting.
I'm not even sure I would go that route as there was no example of peaceful protesting January 6th. I read his post again and he says he fully supports the peaceful protests of insurrectionists on January 6th. That comment wasn't really made in general. If he said, I support insurrectionists peacefully protesting...that's more of a moderate comment. The comment could be seen as a way of saying that the acts could have been committed January 6th peacefully on the Capitol; well...that never happened and discussion on that can be seen as sympathizing with the insurrectionists who are anything but peaceful. Either way, I've already stated - I liked Tess as much as anyone else but it's a lesson to be learned...if politics gets your blood heated, stay off that forum.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
That reaction is not an eye roll. It's Ailynn Ailynn 's empathy.
I noticed some newer users were applying that emoticon out of context and just assumed they were simpletons that didn't know what empathy was. Particular troll who's no longer here kept using it on posts in what I figured he thought was eyes rolling. Funny take on it I guess.

I noticed some newer users were applying that emoticon out of context and just assumed they were simpletons that didn't know what empathy was. Particular troll who's no longer here kept using it on posts in what I figured he thought was eyes rolling. Funny take on it I guess.
I pity the users who use certain reactions to laugh at or "eye roll" other users. Reactions are meant to cut down on simple one-word posts and encourage discussions. It's supposed to be positive, in my opinion.

haxan7

Banned
I pity the users who use certain reactions to laugh at or "eye roll" other users. Reactions are meant to cut down on simple one-word posts and encourage discussions. It's supposed to be positive, in my opinion.
see also: weasel behavior

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Ohh wow! I never thought of the Empathy emoji as coming off that way...

I promise my sense of empathy isn't sarcastic! :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
You can't think of it as a problem with you or a deliberate misunderstanding of the emoticon...I mean, it says "empathy" when you hover over it. That's why when trolls use these emoticons for something else - just puts them in the clown shoes.

belmarduk

Im glad some of those undesirables are gone. Onion Snake is a good guy, though. I’m sure he will use that reaction properly now that he knows what it’s for.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
see also: weasel behavior

It's standard behaviour in this site, get over it.

Because there's no implicitly negative emote, the laugh emoji has been coopted for that use. I have hundreds of lols from your buddies on the politics forum from my time posting there. One guy in particular spent what must've been a decent amount of time throwing me 20+ lols in one day. Posting left on the politics forum is a guaranteed laugh emote harvesting method, considering the way the subforum swings.

Last edited:

haxan7

Banned

Because there's no implicitly negative emote, the laugh emoji has been coopted for that use. I have hundreds of lols from your buddies on the politics forum from my time posting there. One guy in particular spent what must've been a decent amount of time throwing me 20+ lols in one day. Posting left on the politics forum is a guaranteed laugh emote harvesting method, considering the way the subforum swings.
It’s weasel behavior when they do it too.

OnionSnake

Banned
Im glad some of those undesirables are gone. Onion Snake is a good guy, though. I’m sure he will use that reaction properly now that he knows what it’s for.
Thanks Belmarduk. I forget where I saw it but I swear I saw a user say it meant eyeroll so that’s what made sense to me. But yeah I’ll try and use it for not that now that I know, makes me wonder why some negative posters were giving me the empathy react when they meant it as empathy instead of eye roll though lol

Thanks Belmarduk. I forget where I saw it but I swear I saw a user say it meant eyeroll so that’s what made sense to me. But yeah I’ll try and use it for not that now that I know, makes me wonder why some negative posters were giving me the empathy react when they meant it as empathy instead of eye roll though lol
It was because you became known for using it that way. The people hitting you with it were doing it as a kind of an ironic "no u".

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

I got like 90% laugh emojis until a few months ago. All left posters got that. Ask Nobody_Important Nobody_Important about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom