• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Arcadia-

Banned
How is that possible when this isn't ResetEra?

BlackGuyThinking.Gif

Have fun.

Katsura

Damn. Well I guess he has some good reason. No doubt crushing it somewhere for a few months. Probably wrestling polar bears or something.
serveimage

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Anyone have a link to the official error and bug reporting thread? I can never find it because it’s not stickied.

Nymphae

Banned
No, there was another one with multiple pages that was created by the admins.

This one?

Nymphae

Banned
Who cares? People change avatars all the time, so it's not like it's really tied to your account anyway.

People here care to a degree, I've seen many people comment on it. Most members do try and maintain an avatar rather than change it constantly, it absolutely helps with familiarization and recognizing people, and why would you not want to personalize your account a bit?

I use one because it helps people recognize me, and it tells you a small bit about the games I like.

Why wouldn't you choose one?

Ornlu

Banned
People here care to a degree, I've seen many people comment on it. Most members do try and maintain an avatar rather than change it constantly, it absolutely helps with familiarization and recognizing people, and why would you not want to personalize your account a bit?

I use one because it helps people recognize me, and it tells you a small bit about the games I like.

I honestly haven't even put any thought into it. If I came across something that made me go "Ah, that's totally me!" I would use it. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Kadayi

Banned
Who cares? People change avatars all the time, so it's not like it's really tied to your account anyway.

A few, but the vast majority of people stick with the same avatar and it makes it a lot easier to identify people in the long term and give some sense of personality to them in terms of a face with a name. Especially useful when there are a few hundred plus regulars doing the rounds. 'This post bought to you by Rando Letter Poster with a Mauve background' doesn't really cut it in that regard. According to a mouseover, you've apparently been here since October 2018 and have over 1000 posts to boot, but honestly, you could get banned tomorrow and I wouldn't have a clue who you are because it's a lot easier to remember avatars.

I honestly haven't even put any thought into it. If I came across something that made me go "Ah, that's totally me!" I would use it. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

• Google Ornlu

• First hit

• Ornlu the Wolf

• Google image search Wolf

• Find Cool Wolf picture

• Save a crop to 400px X 400px

• Upload to GAF

xtUnoUF.png

Honestly. Piece of fucking cake to create an avatar. We even have a dedicated thread for requests.

Last edited:

You will know who I am regardless of Avatar Changes because I only use Female SEGA Characters as my Avatar.....or Frimelda Lotice. (exception)

Dr. Claus

Banned
Been seeing a lot of complaining about "letter posters" recently. Can people stop that? It reminds me of oldgaf where people would act like junior members weren't allowed to have an opinion. It's retarded elitist bullshit and drives new members away.

Just as bad as people bitching about "anime avatars". They are just avatars. Focus on their message, not the stupid picture attached to their profile.

Kagey K

Banned
Look, we want you to express yourself, okay? Now if you feel that the bare minimum is enough, then okay. But some people choose to do more and we encourage that, okay? You do want to express yourself, don't you?
It really does feel like the bare minimum. I know I tend to take users with avatars more seriously then those without.

The ones without avatars seem like they don’t care and expect it to get banned any minute.

perhaps that’s my own bias showing through though.

MetalAlien

Banned
It really does feel like the bare minimum. I know I tend to take users with avatars more seriously then those without.

The ones without avatars seem like they don’t care and expect it to get banned any minute.

perhaps that’s my own bias showing through though.
People can get a disscussion anywhere. They come to Neogaf's for the atmosphere and the attitude. That's what the avatars's about. It's about fun.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Most members do try and maintain an avatar rather than change it constantly, it absolutely helps with familiarization and recognizing people

I think even those who do change them from time to time tend to have a theme, or tweak around their existing avatar. Mine, for instance, was a plain Mad Professor Mariarti but then I went and added a bit of Cyberpunk to it, and no doubt at some point I'll do something else with it. I'd have done a Disco Elysium themed variant but my artistic skills weren't up to the job!

-Arcadia-

Banned
In all seriousness, I think the gist is basically this.

If a letterposter is making utterly stupid posts, and acting like every stereotype of a letterposter, fire away. The fact is that letterposters have a terrible reputation for a reason. :messenger_confused:

On the other hand, if a letterposter has opinions you don’t like, and you resort to superficial insults over an avatar, and I’ve seen some examples of that in the past day, in spirit, you might be the letterposter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom