• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.
The shit example doesn't make sense because you are staying in the same house. You aren't constantly changing houses and the shit follows you by teleporting lol.

When you see something you don't like just leave the thread or ignore the post and go to another one. Like seeing shit on the floor of a hotel suite and switching rooms, that example makes more sense. Let the mods or in this case cleaning staff take care of the shit on the floor. Don't freak out that the shit is on the floor then start lighting the room on fire.

Nymphae

Banned
BDp21Jq.jpg

I take issue with the framing of the argument here. It's not that I wouldn't be able to handle Jare's 1000 reaction gifs a day, it's that I was getting tired of them and had a pretty simple and effective way to remove that clutter from my forum experience. I've never heard a good argument for why the feature should be removed other than "Well, I'm strong and don't need it"

I mean imagine you went to a bar everyday and hung with a group of friends, and every day there's this idiot that smells like shit over in the corner, who is always telling bad jokes and being obnoxious. You two don't get along, and you've never gotten along, you never will get along. You just want to come in to this place and chat with your friends, and your life is probably not being enriched by this person's anecdotes or reactions. I don't want the guy kicked out of the bar, I'd just prefer this experience if this person was not existing here, I think we've probably all felt something similar at some point, and yes of course, in real life, you must learn to deal with this sort of thing. I'm in my mid 30's, and have done plenty of this in my life. Here? I have ignore features that remove the offender with no consequence and feel no shame at removing anonymous annoying posters that I feel contribute negatively to my experience here.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The shit example doesn't make sense because you are staying in the same house. You aren't constantly changing houses and the shit follows you by teleporting lol.

When you see something you don't like just leave the thread or ignore the post and go to another one. Like seeing shit on the floor of a hotel suite and switching rooms, that example makes more sense. Let the mods or in this case cleaning staff take care of the shit on the floor. Don't freak out that the shit is on the floor then start lighting the room on fire.
Eh I think it is fine. The guy has said he put me on ignore himself and I'm fine with it, the real problem is that other people don't actually care until they are told, "hey so I'm gonna put you on ignore kek" and when that happens users like brap brap , will take it as a giant FUCK YOU. Which I also understand when you are compared to actual shit like fuck man you got problems! You are comparing a post you can scroll by to other people you deem literal shit haha what a fucking tool! ANYWAY what you also have to understand is that Nymphae Nymphae is stubborn and he isn't gonna change his mind on this. Shitposting aside that is completely fine. Also I might joke about Chunk but he is free to block every single active user if he wants. :)

Nymphae

Banned

Like seeing shit on the floor of a hotel suite and switching rooms, that example makes more sense.

People and their habits tend to be visible across multiple threads, I think it's an apt analogy. I come here every day and see the same shit from some people day in day out, across any thread they're posting in. The hotel example doesn't work at all because me simply venturing into a new thread is not preventing me from seeing this person if they are in that thread as well.

Don't freak out that the shit is on the floor then start lighting the room on fire.

Putting the turd into the trash bin is not lighting the room on fire.

When you see something you don't like just leave the thread or ignore the post and go to another one

Or I could put them on ignore and be done with it? You didn't answer my question, what are any negative consequences resulting from letting users have ignore lists? I get that you all feel superior for not using it, but give me one good reason why people shouldn't use it besides "Well, I wouldn't"

Or I could put them on ignore and be done with it? You didn't answer my question, what are any negative consequences resulting from letting users have ignore lists? I get that you all feel superior for not using it, but give me one good reason why people shouldn't use it besides "Well, I wouldn't"

This is a smoke and mirrors argument, which means it's not a real one. I could say you haven't given a good reason to use it. What's stopping you from moving past that users post in a thread? If you constantly see them you likely know what threads they frequent as well.

The only use for the tool is to protect your feelings or because you can't mentally handle the subject and/or users because of what they talk about, their behavior, or their actions. But all of these would have to be at a minuscule level because if it weren't and it went to far the mods would have already dealt with them. Freaking out over minuscule things isn't something that should be common in your life.

Forums used to not have the function for years, nothing has really changed other than technology allowing people to put themselves in an echo chamber easier.

I take issue with the framing of the argument here. It's not that I wouldn't be able to handle Jare's 1000 reaction gifs a day, it's that I was getting tired of them and had a pretty simple and effective way to remove that clutter from my forum experience. I've never heard a good argument for why the feature should be removed other than "Well, I'm strong and don't need it"
I get your idea here, but for me it's enough to simply ignore that person without using a forum function.
Also, even the bad apples are kind of what makes this place this place.

Different horses, different courses, though, and whatever makes you happy is the right thing for you, man...

Nymphae

Banned
I could say you haven't given a good reason to use it.

It was never asked of me, and I would argue that the feature's existence is proof that there are potential use cases, despite you not feeling like they are applicable to you.

Freaking out over minuscule things isn't something that should be common in your life.

Pressing a button and never seeing a person's input again is not really freaking out. Jare PM'ing people to say "why do you hate me", or "welcome to my ban list!" is freaking out. I pressed a button and moved on, happier.

One last time, I'll ask if you can give me a good reason not to use it.

One last time

I answered your question, you went on a rant and didn't respond to the points I made instead you dismissed most of it, you don't get to do this, move on.

I also would like to point out just because something exists doesn't mean it's always the correct solution to a problem.

Nymphae

Banned
I just mean like, the way I see it, it is a optional feature that provides a benefit to those who wish to use it, which has no negative consequences for any other user on the board (or the person using it I would argue), so I've never understood the butt hurt peanut gallery commentary on the feature, it strikes me just as people asserting a sense of superiority over users for something that really doesn't affect them or the board in general in any way.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I answered your question, you went on a rant and didn't respond to the points I made instead you dismissed most of it, you don't get to do this, move on.

I also would like to point out just because something exists doesn't mean it's always the correct solution to a problem.

You did not provide am argument for why removal of the feature would be beneficial.

I also would like to point out just because something exists doesn't mean it's always the correct solution to a problem

Of course, but in this case, the solution provided offers a benefit with no downside.

The only use for the tool is to protect your feelings or because you can't mentally handle

The continual framing of it like this by everyone who doesn't like the feature is what I find funny. I think there is a difference between "can't handle", and "would prefer not to"

Last edited:
I wasn't arguing for the removal of it, just that I think it's better for people mentally not to use it. But if people think it helps them I'm not going to stop them, not that I could anyway.

Papa

Banned

It’s also equating other people with shit and completely misses the point. When people like JareBear constantly ignore everyone they disagree with, they build themself a personal echo chamber with padded walls. This compounds their issues. By all means, go ahead and ignore people who constantly screech or otherwise shit up threads. But don’t ignore people over a difference of opinion.

nush

You've got to check this topic out, not for the Subject but where Chinese ultra nationalist Shill Chairman Tickles tries to pretend he's a security dude or something.

He does "Seasonal IT security"and then in the downtime he does actual security in bars. Like they are the same thing. :messenger_tears_of_joy: It's amazing. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ManaByte

Gold Member
You've got to check this topic out, not for the Subject but where Chinese ultra nationalist Shill Chairman Tickles tries to pretend he's a security dude or something.

He does "Seasonal IT security"and then in the downtime he does actual security in bars. Like they are the same thing. :messenger_tears_of_joy: It's amazing. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

There's no such thing as "seasonal IT security". There's not a hacking season. It's 24/7.

Bryank75

Banned
I predict that Gaf will be ahead of Resetera in active users/traffic by January 20th 2021 if not a bit before then. The trends don't look favorable to that place.

I expect this thread to be on page 200 by then. ;)
Yeah, the numbers are way up here... even the pace of threads is much faster than before. I just hope it doesn't change too much here. It's really nice the way it is, in terms of banter, discussion and so on!

Papa

Banned
Yeah, the numbers are way up here... even the pace of threads is much faster than before. I just hope it doesn't change too much here. It's really nice the way it is, in terms of banter, discussion and so on!

Banter is 100% the key. It's the sign of a healthy community that can weather drama (like, say, an echo chamber exploding and reeeeefugees flooding in).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom