• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peggies

Gold Member

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Thaedolus

Don’t worry everyone I got the kids down while my wife and sister are off doing female shit. Yes we waited for the goddamn Yoshi hatching thing

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
IMO, it was a silly thread, but it could probably live out an existence in the community section. I don't think it was doing much harm, but I wasn't really paying attention to it that much. Perhaps there can be a prominent link in the first post that directs you to a list of the major logical fallacies and how to identify them. Also, a primer on what is a strong standard of evidence, and how strong it should be in order to establish justified belief in a thing.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
IMO, it was a silly thread, but it could probably live out an existence in the community section. I don't think it was doing much harm, but I wasn't really paying attention to it that much. Perhaps there can be a prominent link in the first post that directs you to a list of the major logical fallacies and how to identify them. Also, a primer on what is a strong standard of evidence, and how strong it should be in order to establish justified belief in a thing.
That sounds a bit much imo. Is there such a thing in the Christian thread? Do we ask them to justify their beliefs? Aliens should be a fun topic. Not something to be "justified"

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That sounds a bit much imo. Is there such a thing in the Christian thread? Do we ask them to justify their beliefs? Aliens should be a fun topic. Not something to be "justified"

It could be, sure. But - I do want people to realize when their fervor to believe blurs the line between what's reasonable and what's not.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It could be, sure. But - I do want people to realize when their fervor to believe blurs the line between what's reasonable and what's not.
Reasonable to your standards is not everyone's. I don't think it's remotely unreasonable to believe in alien life. Maybe some people got to heavy into conspiracy theories in the thread. Idk. I only checked in once and a while.

Thaedolus

Reasonable to your standards is not everyone's. I don't think it's remotely unreasonable to believe in alien life. Maybe some people got to heavy into conspiracy theories in the thread. Idk. I only checked in once in a while.
I don’t think it’s unreasonable to believe in alien life. I do think it’s really difficult to believe in alien life here on earth because of what we know about physics, and because the evidence is fleeting and much more plausibly explained by other answers.

So really, “believe in alien life” is a bit of a straw man. The question is: are they here? Doubt.jpg

would be pretty cool tho

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Reasonable to your standards is not everyone's.
In some aspects, yes. Some people can be stricter than others in terms of "reasonableness". However, there should be a pretty clear line on what kinds of evidence is considered acceptable to warrant justified belief. The more we consider "reasonable evidence" a subjectively relative standard than a quantifiable objective one, the more we are prone to logically unjustified beliefs.

I don't think it's remotely unreasonable to believe in alien life.
On that I definitely agree. The possibility of intelligent life existing during the same time as us is incredibly low, but given the vast scale of the universe it's very reasonable to assume that intelligent life exists somewhere out there. However, given that immense vastness between galaxies and even between solar systems, it is unreasonable to think that they've actually visited Earth and that our government is covering it up. Those are two huge assumptions that need more evidence than just "some guy said so".

Maybe some people got to heavy into conspiracy theories in the thread. Idk. I only checked in once and a while.
Probably. I didn't actually check. Maybe I should lol.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This is proper alien discussion. Was this not in the thread? Lol

We were having that in Grildon Tundy Grildon Tundy 's thread here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/expl...arth-originating-from-another-planet.1659281/

From what I could tell, the Aliens and UFO thread was recently more about the recent testimonials before Congress, which lead people to overhype the findings.

I'm more than happy to discuss concepts like the Fermi Paradox and what not. I'm less than happy to discuss whether or not the current evidence for aliens visiting Earth should be categorized as "strong evidence" when it very clearly isn't.

Thaedolus

We were having that in Grildon Tundy Grildon Tundy 's thread here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/expl...arth-originating-from-another-planet.1659281/

From what I could tell, the Aliens and UFO thread was recently more about the recent testimonials before Congress, which lead people to overhype the findings.

I'm more than happy to discuss concepts like the Fermi Paradox and what not. I'm less than happy to discuss whether or not the current evidence for aliens visiting Earth should be categorized as "strong evidence" when it very clearly isn't.
You had me at Fermi paradox 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom