• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising Bladewolf DLC |OT| TIME TO LEAVE THEM ALL BEHIIIIIIND

JoeFenix

Downloading now, surprised to see it up this early!

Happy to see the price is slightly more reasonable, only P* can make me buy expensive DLC even if I don't like the practice.

Sam was worth it for me, let's hope this is even better!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Version 1.04 is a separate download on PS3? Do we know if it's the same for the 360? All of the version updates for the 360 version have been required downloads on startup or included with DLC.

Lothars

I downloaded it on 360 and it was 560 points as well, so the original advertised price of 7 bucks it's accurate.

Roto13

Impressions!

- Wolf's chainsaw tail has pretty long range.
- Blade mode and dashing are there, of course. No auto platforming with dashing. Have to jump manually. One of the early missions is a platforming mission so maybe there's more of that later.
- Wolf has stealth takedowns, unlike Sam, and there seems to be a bigger focus on it. There's a trophy for doing 30 of them.
- New subweapon: throwing knives.
- Crazy spinning aerial move is cool. (Replacement for Raiden's flying kick.)
- Bladewolf's boss battle theme plays during regular fights.
- So far, absolutely 0 new areas. Not even new places built out of old assets.
- Wolf naturally feels more different from Raiden than Sam did.

It's fun so far. Already met the new Wind of Destruction. Haven't fought him yet, though. Hope he has his own theme song.

Roto13

Remember that miniboss robot that transforms into a barricade? Remember the smaller version of that that shows up as a regular enemy? Wolf can stealth kill them. I don't remember if Raiden can.

Keasar

This can't get out fast enough in Europe! I just (finally!) finished Okami last week and I am so up for playing Amaterasu-1000!

BadWolf

Version 1.04 is a separate download on PS3? Do we know if it's the same for the 360? All of the version updates for the 360 version have been required downloads on startup or included with DLC.

Bought the game last week for PS3, had to download just the 1.04 patch (over 400mb) on startup.

Impressions!

- Blade mode and dashing are there, of course. No auto platforming with dashing. Have to jump manually. One of the early missions is a platforming mission so maybe there's more of that later.
- Wolf has stealth takedowns, unlike Sam, and there seems to be a bigger focus on it. There's a trophy for doing 30 of them.

It's fun so far. Already met the new Wind of Destruction. Haven't fought him yet, though. Hope he has his own theme song.

Ouch, might just watch this on youtube maybe (for dat Mistral).

TP

not completely true
I just started the dlc and have already seen one "new" room

-It looks like wolf gets a bonus in the ranking screen for stealth kills (hunt kills)
-No alert bonus
-Click left stick to crouch, moving stands back up
-vr missions inside of vr missions

Roto13

Crouching restores health, apparently.

EDIT: Khamsin disappeared during the finishing blow. :p Looked like a bug.

And done. Game clock (which only counts time in combat) says 1:11. Sam's DLC took me 1:24, for the sake of comparison.

Boss battle had repair nanopastes everywhere. :p

I bought the Sam DLC with no hesitation and loved it, but I'm not sure about this one since it seems like it has less content and action. As someone who thought Sam was way more fun to play as than Raiden and has done a lot of playthroughs of his DLC already, is this one worth it?

BadWolf

Crouching restores health, apparently.

EDIT: Khamsin disappeared during the finishing blow. :p Looked like a bug.

And done. Game clock (which only counts time in combat) says 1:11. Sam's DLC took me 1:24, for the sake of comparison.

Boss battle had repair nanopastes everywhere. :p

Any worthwhile story or cutscene goodness?

TP

It's been a while since I played it but i'm pretty sure wolf vr 4 is recycled from Raiden vr 19

same layout different enemies in the center
wolves at start and end

Just beat the DLC. My thoughts:

-I'm glad that stealth is back when compared to the Sam DLC. You can complete almost all areas stealthily.

-It's mostly all rehashed areas from Chapter 1 of the main game, so similar to the Sam DLC in this way.

-The new boss is pretty fun, and has a new music track to go with him. They even incorporate (very) light stealth into the boss battle, which was cool.

-Blade wolf is like Sam in that he has a relatively small moveset, but this didn't bother me at all. For a one chapter DLC it's more than enough.

-About the same amount of story as the Sam DLC, probably less actually. What's there is fun, but the Sam DLC has this one beat in this department.

-It's also a little bit shorter than the Sam DLC. Not by much though.

-Overall, I liked it more than the Sam DLC. Sam felt a little half baked to me (no stealth kills, etc), where Blade Wolf does not feel that way. Having an actual new boss is a big plus too.

It's worth $7 in my book, where as I'd have to think about if the Sam DLC was worth its $10. (which should have been $7 as well)

Naite

- Finished it in 1h7m, which is about 20 minutes faster than I finished Sam's.
- Nothing really worth noting in the plot. If you seen the trailer you pretty much have the gist of it.
- Some annoying platforming parts (I hate 3d platforming). His jumping angle always leaves me afraid that I missed my jump
- Love his buzzsaw move and he has the best parry attack. Having stealth kills back is also a plus.
- Glad we got a new boss and they included some optional stealth segment into it.

Overall I enjoyed the dlc, but can't help but be a little disappointed after coming from Sam's DLC

JoeFenix

Anyone having some issues with getting No Damage on the boss?

I did it three times and watched my health closely, I definitely never took any damage and I still didn't get the No Damage bonus and trophy.

It's a single checkpoint fight, I really don't get what the problem is...

Other than that it was definitely pretty cool, will get some mileage out of it for sure.

Oh and lol at
wolf's chainsaw rotating during credits
, it's consistent with the other credits sequences but it looks extra funny for some reason!

Edit: No new titles, only 5 data storage units. VR missions are part of the chapter like Sam's DLC.

WE ARE THE ENLIGHTENED MASSES!

That part of the song is still stuck in my head from the Sam DLC. I downloading Blade Wolf right now, can't wait!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah, contents pretty short and outside of one new building it's reused assets.

I don't really care for the platforming. But Wolf is more stealth and defensive focused it seems.

Can't seem to get a grip on the bosses attacks to avoid damage though. That stupid jump attack ALWAYS hits me.

BY2K

Membero Americo
49 minutes... I missed a lot of optional fights but Christ!

And the boss is easily abused if you keep doing areal combos. He has only one attack that can strike you while you're in the air and you can parry it.

I mean c'mon.

JoeFenix

Got the Hard mode No Damage trophy, not sure why it wasn't working on my previous playthrough....

For people having trouble with him,
EMP grenades make him a complete joke
but he's really fun to fight legit anyway.

I was wrong about the DLC having no titles, just got one for doing 30 wolf hunt kills during a playthrough. Looks like theres 3 in total just like Sam.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Lots of Mistral in the DLC, so Mistral fans will be happy!

Just beat it and got the no-damage final boss achievement. Took me 1:11 based on the final stats, but I did have to restart some in order to get the boss achievement. This DLC is easier than Sam's, so I'd recommend playing on Hard the first time through. Whereas Sam couldn't stealthkill, a lot of Bladewolf's gameplay revolves around HunterKills (ninjakills). He can Hunterkill a lot of enemies that Raiden couldn't, and you can probably go through almost the entire DLC killing everyone and not getting detected at all.

It was short, but sweet. Bladewolf's movement is very different from both Sam and Raiden. There were lots of cutscenes to keep things interesting. I dug the final boss, and his theme. The areas are rehashed, as you're mostly running through parts of the main game backwards.

It was worth $7 and I'm glad for the chance to play as Bladewolf. :)

Got the Hard mode No Damage trophy, not sure why it wasn't working on my previous playthrough....

For people having trouble with him,
EMP grenades make him a complete joke
but he's really fun to fight legit anyway.

I was wrong about the DLC having no titles, just got one for doing 30 wolf hunt kills during a playthrough. Looks like theres 3 in total just like Sam.

Oh god, I didn't even know about your spoilered text. He's more fun to fight without that tactic, though. I kinda wish that wasn't a viable strategy.

JoeFenix

Alright, finished my Revengeance run and I'm really impressed by the changes compared to Hard mode.

They put alot of cameras and dwarf geckos so the stealth is much harder, enemy types are switched up and the platforming is much trickier because they outright removed alot of platforms that were there on Hard.

Boss is crazy aggressive and takes less damage so in that sense it's like Sam's DLC. Only found 2 of the data storage units and only got 2 of the titles, S rank requirements seem pretty strict for alot of chapters.

Really fun stuff, no regrets here and will definitely go through it again to clean up everything.

Oh and one really important tip for people having trouble with the platforming, you can ninja run off the edge of a platform and jump while you're hanging in midair for extra distance. It's pretty much a requirement on one section in Revengeance difficulty.

RangerBAD

Totally blindsided by the 6.99! :p

Just finished the DLC on Hard and I like how they structured the final boss, but it took me a while to figure stuff out. At first I was too afraid to parry because of how the Sam DLC was. I figured out how the kunai played into it and it was definitely hard getting those Kill Hunts in. It was pretty satisfying to beat Khasim.

Just finished the chapter, and I gotta say; it was great. I loved the predatory playstyle offered by Bladewolf, the extra story bits were neat, and Khamsin was a really friggin awesome boss (seriously; he's probably in my Top 3 of the game along with Armstrong and Monsoon). Hot Wind Blowing is spectacular of course, but I feel it was really underutilized (the lyrics should've kicked in at 50% or after you performed your first stealth attack on Khamsin). Whatever though; it's still one of the best songs in the game.

Overall this DLC was worth $7. It doesn't outstay its welcome and provides that Revengeance fix that I've been craving since beating Sam's DLC. Now I just hope they make more DLC starring Monsoon or Armstrong ^_^

Impressions!

Purchase justified, if it wasn't already.

Ouch, might just watch this on youtube maybe (for dat Mistral).

Mistral on YT ain't got shit on Mistral on regular TV.

Anyway this was a worthwhile DLC for me so far. Original, though limited playstyle in Wolf. Like Sam, he plays the way he looks in most cutscenes. The ability to stealth-hunt everything is a nice breakoff from Sam's taunting (always wanted to stealth kill Dwarf Gekkos and Grads). Normal felt like Raiden's normal, but glad to hear distinct differences in Hard and up. Khashim was a great boss, but sad he was the only one. Dat Mistral posing. And as of this DLC, I'd say all of Desperado, Armstong, Sam, and Wolf got decent exposure for the whole game.

It's not as long as the Sam DLC unfortunately but appropriately priced. It would've been nice to have a small battle against Mistral, and I didn't get to see Raiden saving/recovering Wolf.

And like Sam's episode, Wolf's will be fun level for farming BP.

Top Bottom