• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising Bladewolf DLC |OT| TIME TO LEAVE THEM ALL BEHIIIIIIND

Zomba13

Just finished. Game clock was 1:06 for me. 5 Continues and I think I found and attempted all VR missions (only one I didn't complete was the stealth to the exit one). Blade wolf was fun but I found his limited moveset more restrictive than Sam's.
I hope if there is a MGR2 we get Blade Wolf missions on the side (with his new body and hopefully more moves).

(>.< just noticed in the Ranking Result screen I was playing on Normal and not Hard. Thought it was easier than Sam's DLC.)

Revven

Blade Wolf also has some nice one liners in this DLC that continues to make his character, well, awesome!

Like, "All dogs have their day", was a fantastic and hilarious line.

I really liked this DLC even if it was (admittedly) shorter than Sam's. I have to get used to how Blade Wolf flows, I'm too accustomed to Sam atm. The boss was really cool and unique, esp. with the light stealth thrown in it. If you think about it, the DLC sets you up for the boss fight with all the sections set up for stealth kills/no alerts. Just shows Platinum are kings at game design :p.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Is "No Alert Clear" a unique clear bonus to the DLC? or was that in the main game as well

and holy shit does Wolf's blade mode not animate well at all

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah it's unique.

DLC is ok. While Sam's delivered more intense combat, Wolf's focuses more on stealth. So if you want a more focused experience in either of these aspects out of Rising the DLC might be worth it to you

That said if you want to play as unique characters, I don't think the DLC is worth it at all. I don't really get the complaint that these guys aren't playable on the main game since they fundamentally play the same as Raiden anyways. Wolf especially feels like he's just missing pieces of Raiden's moveset and Sam lacked things such as a stealth kill, ninja run and AR mode in favor for things like an air dash and taunt, which only really would work in his scenario anyways. They both just feel like they lack things Raiden has rather than being interesting or different.

The DLC isn't about the characters, it's about the content. and I think both are ok for what they are. but I think before you buy them you gotta ask yourself if you want more of either of these aspects of Rising at this point.

I found Wolf's stealth sections more interesting than Sam's, but I think the answer to that question for me is a huge no to both. I don't even really have the motivation to complete the trophies for this game atm, especially after hearing how easy they are.

and seeing how dead this thread is currently, I guess most people feel the same at this point.

Oh well. It was.....interesting I guess Rising. but I'm way passed ready to shelf this game and move onto something else

Just no-damages Khamsin on Revengeance. Man, what an awesome boss. I love how the sheer number of attacks he has forces you to use actual strategy and reflex instead if just cheesing his AI. The little guitar riff that plays when you stealth attack him is Pavlovian technique at its finest; it made me so happy whenever I heard it.

JoeFenix

Just no-damages Khamsin on Revengeance. Man, what an awesome boss. I love how the sheer number of attacks he has forces you to use actual strategy and reflex instead if just cheesing his AI. The little guitar riff that plays when you stealth attack him is Pavlovian technique at its finest; it made me so happy whenever I heard it.

That guitar riff is just brilliant, absolutely perfect! I just wish the lyrics kicked in a bit earlier, you don't get to hear them at all...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Oh well. It was.....interesting I guess Rising. but I'm way passed ready to shelf this game and move onto something else

Considering there's nothing worthwhile in the action genre currently, I'm willing to continue playing Rising for a long time to come.

That said if you want to play as unique characters, I don't think the DLC is worth it at all. I don't really get the complaint that these guys aren't playable on the main game since they fundamentally play the same as Raiden anyways. Wolf especially feels like he's just missing pieces of Raiden's moveset and Sam lacked things such as a stealth kill, ninja run and AR mode in favor for things like an air dash and taunt, which only really would work in his scenario anyways. They both just feel like they lack things Raiden has rather than being interesting or different.

I fundamentally disagree. I'm more inclined to concede about Bladewolf, as Bladewolf's differences are more subtle as far as core mechanics are concerned (farther stealth range, easier to sneak). I think Sam plays completely differently from Raiden.

That guitar riff is just brilliant, absolutely perfect! I just wish the lyrics kicked in a bit earlier, you don't get to hear them at all...

I know, right?! I love the lyrics to Hot Wind Blowing, so it's a shame that you only get to hear maybe a third of them if you're really stalling for time. I get a kick out ending the battle on "I AM A WIND OF DESTRUCTIOOOOOON" though. They really should add a Boss Rush mode in which every boss' full vocal theme plays during their battle. I'd pay an additional $5 just for that.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Considering there's nothing worthwhile in the action genre currently, I'm willing to continue playing Rising for a long time to come.

Bayo 2 and 101 are on the horizon, both of which I was always more interested in than Rising. Hopefully those games are Platinum in top form.

School's out so I'm probably gonna get back in fighting game shape while waiting for those.

I fundamentally disagree. I'm more inclined to agree with you about Bladewolf, as Bladewolf's differences are more subtle as far as core mechanics are concerned (farther stealth range, easier to sneak). I think Sam plays completely differently from Raiden.

Ehh that's not a new playstyle to me so much as an alteration of what Raiden already did. I guess his hiding move is new though.

Sam's charge moves were kinda interesting but I still found parry and zandatsu more effective than anything new he had. I feel like if he was in the main game he'd still be playing it like Raiden for the most part. Especially bosses like Monsoon and Sundowner and Excelsus.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Bayo 2 and 101 are on the horizon, both of which I was always more interested in than Rising. Hopefully those games are Platinum in top form.

School's out so I'm probably gonna get back in fighting game shape while waiting for those.

Both of those are a long ways off and require a WiiU.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Both of those are a long ways off and require a WiiU.

Buying one for Bayo 2 and will play 101 on my friend's

101 will probably be out by this fall

This thread is way smaller than the Sam one. I thought people were hyped for this.

They were 3 months ago.

Now I think most people are done with the game. and I think alot of people felt burned on Sam price point vs content

They staggered the release of these too long.

I bought and played this to support PG but personally I wasn't really excited at all at this point.

TP

finally finished

6ONumFUl.jpg

It's the easiest campaign to S rank because it's so stealth focused
I'll still replay it again in the future but I don't think i'll end up playing it as much as the Sam and Raiden campaigns

I'll switch over to the pc version whenever that releases but I doubt i'll go for the s ranks again.

worth the $7

Endo Punk

Got all Blade Wolf trophies. Well that is that, Im done with the game and burnt out too. Seeing its history I really have to commend P* again for delivering one of the best experiences this gen for me. If Kojima gives the go ahead for a sequel I can truly see it being something very special for the next gen. It has far too much potential to just be a stand alone entry.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I'd really like to play those DLCs as I LOVED MGR, but $17 for 2-3 hours of gameplay consisting mostly or re-used assets is very steep. Do DLCs ever go on sale...? :/

On one hand, I really want to support P* and play more Rising, but on the other hand, I really don't want to encourage P* or Konami to release more half-assed DLCs for premium prices...

Hypron

finally finished

6ONumFUl.jpg

It's the easiest campaign to S rank because it's so stealth focused
I'll still replay it again in the future but I don't think i'll end up playing it as much as the Sam and Raiden campaigns

I'll switch over to the pc version whenever that releases but I doubt i'll go for the s ranks again.

worth the $7

Congrats!

I only played through the DLC 3 times to get all the chievos since I've got heaps of things to do for uni this week, but I felt like this DLC was a bit weaker than Sam's. The stealth part of the game is probably my least favourite part, so I guess that explains that. I'll still s-rank everything to get that nice looking score board, but I'm not really looking forward to all that stealth (and especially that stealth VR mission).

I'll probably do the same thing as you and buy the PC version when it comes out, I can't get enough of this game. This also makes me think that I should probably not go for the titles now, and do them once I get the pc version. That way I'll be able to get them all and I'll be able to get the all the sranks as well, and I won't risk getting burnt out.

Top Bottom