• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

epmode

Has Platinum made any comment about patching out the 1080p resolution limit?

(I know about the wonderful mod from the last page, I'm just curious about the official response)

Ghazi

I'm at the LQ-84i and parrying being really wonky is kinda annoying. It works sometimes if I mash it, but it doesn't come out at all 95% of the time and I get a light attack even though I'm locked on and pulling the left stick towards them. I've spent most battles up to now practicing parrying and the timing, and it seems really random. Parrying doesn't really feel like it works :(

I thought you could parry all attacks? Boris said you can parry when being hit, but it never comes out at all there either? What about in the middle of a combo? I can't do anything when I'm slicing him up and he gets ready to attack, it takes too long to get out of the recovery frames for the attacks to parry.

e: I beat him earlier, parrying feels so much smoother against the normal enemies.

Grief.exe

Has Platinum made any comment about patching out the 1080p resolution limit?

(I know about the wonderful mod from the last page, I'm just curious about the official response)

I was about to come into the thread and ask if we heard anything.

I messaged Tora about it last week and he said that he sent a bug list to Kojima Productions.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I was about to come into the thread and ask if we heard anything.

I messaged Tora about it last week and he said that he sent a bug list to Kojima Productions.

I think KojiPro looks over the changes first before everything goes out and that makes things take a lot longer. It was the same after the ZOE2 HD patch was announced.

Ghazi

The camera in this game is crushing me. Spazzes out in the blade mode portion every time. :(

I was just thinking that, whenever I'm wearing a box (as well as other times) I'll turn it one direction and the camera will force itself back facing forward, so annoying.

Holiday

Banned
I was just thinking that, whenever I'm wearing a box (as well as other times) I'll turn it one direction and the camera will force itself back facing forward, so annoying.

Yeah, it's rough. Finally beat this game though, def satistfied.

Hey here is a cool mod which lets you wear the visor all the time during gameplay:

http://z13.invisionfree.com/MetalGearRising_Mods/index.php?showtopic=7
nYP660d.png

popyea

Does the resolution fix no longer work anymore, or am i just doing something wrong? I finally finished downloading the game (took 5 days because my internet is just that slow) but using mgroveride to patch the exe has just makes the exe do nothing when I open it.

Teknoman

Looking at complaints here: http://steamcommunity.com/games/235460/announcements/detail/1387412155878494752

The patch didn't address the resolution/fullscreen output issue, it actually made them worse by now affecting more people. Ouch.

So, by not addressing the biggest issues reported with this port, they made it more prominent. Welp

Ouch. I wonder how long its going to take to fix, because that is pretty much the only thing keeping me from playing at this point. Just seems odd for something that was supposed to be at 1080p, to only have issues when playing at that resolution. Broken record sounding at this point though.

Arsenic13

Ouch. I wonder how long its going to take to fix, because that is pretty much the only thing keeping me from playing at this point. Just seems odd for something that was supposed to be at 1080p, to only have issues when playing at that resolution. Broken record sounding at this point though.

It's a shame, yeah. I love this game, so I hope they fix it for good

Bah, just tried to play the game and after running it at 1080/60p, full screen no problems since release the game now switches to 1080/24p with my TV. I remember reading about this issue around launch but never had any problems.

I guess the patch has messed this up somehow. I can play windowed mode until it's fixed, but a slight annoyance.

A new patch out? Apparently they fixed the armstrong fight or something. I hope it fixed the resolution hdmi problem as well.

I didn't even realize about the new patch. The Armstrong fight finally works for me now. Didn't know about the new problems that came with the patch though; not affecting me right now, but I hope that gets fixed for you guys asap.

Teknoman

I think im just going to have to force myself to play with the borderless windows or the black bars without it. Its been far too long since the game released and I havent really touched it.

Sucks that the screenshots arent effected but videos are.

EDIT: Well now I feel dumb. Fixed the issue, but I did it by changing to all available refresh rates, and making sure overscan was set to 0 on each refresh rate available for 1080p. Actually worked...so I guess its just the game uses some strange refresh rate?

Arsenic13

It's a shame that this isn't being fixed after the last patch broke the game for more people. Resolution and display tricks are gonna be needed by more people.

Raysoul

Why the hell is this game still region locked in Asia. Why the fuck is this region lock bullshit happening on Steam!? Sorry for the words but this is really frustrating considering that I'm really wanting this game.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Anyone happen to have the last version of the exe available? Want to get this to 60 on my laptop but the update broke the custom res tool.

Arsenic13

So is there a goto fan fix for the resolution issues (borders) since it's pretty much guaranteed that we'll never get an official fix?

Dario ff

Banned
Is the Resolution Overrider made by Dario FF working with the new patch?
Nope, I wasn't even aware of the new patch nor that this thread was bumped. It's expected that it doesn't work since it patches the exe on certain addresses, and even the slightest update would break it. I was hoping a new update would have rendered this tool redundant... but somehow they even made the display detection worse. If this is needed again, just shoot me a PM. It only took a few minutes to re-find the values.

I'll quote my old post with the updated patcher, and with some new notes.
Download here. (Updated as of 04/17/14) This should make a backup of your exe before patching on the same folder if it doesn't exist yet, but feel free to make one of your own just in case.

TMPxlpr.png

Few things to note.
  • Weird behaviour with shadowmaps at very high resolutions. It's probably related to VRAM usage?
  • You have to re-select the resolution each time you boot up the game. It's annoying, but it's due to the way the game tries to autodetect the resolution on the display list it should use. (i.e., if you use 1600x900 and boot up in that resolution, the game will try to cap it to the next lowest resolution, 1366x768)
  • Might not work in fullscreen if you don't have the display mode available due to this game requesting the refresh rate of it.
  • If you have 1440p available on your display modes yet you have a 1080p monitor over HDMI, using this hack will actually fix the 24/50hz bug as a side-effect because 60 HZ will be the only mode for 1440p by default. The new patch has rendered this trick useless, as it now detects the first refresh rate based on the desktop resolution with any mode selected.
  • Should work fine in Windowed mode.

EDIT: Oh, the thread was moved to Community. No wonder I didn't see anything.

Ilúvatar

Finally got my Platinum in this, it has been a long and oft-interrupted journey, but it happened! Taking a break with some other games before I come back and tackle the DLCs. Might be the perfect time to go back and Plat Bayonetta and DMC et al

Bah, just tried to play the game and after running it at 1080/60p, full screen no problems since release the game now switches to 1080/24p with my TV. I remember reading about this issue around launch but never had any problems.

I guess the patch has messed this up somehow. I can play windowed mode until it's fixed, but a slight annoyance.

I've got a work around.

Launch the game in 1080p - window'd mode
Change to full screen
When I'm going to turn the game off, switch back to window'd mode.

Stupid auto detect.

burgerdog

The game is on sale on amazon, a friend is interested but he's from the UK. Would he be able to play it? I remember something about region restrictions.

McNum

So, after a few months, I remembered I was trying to beat this game on Revengeance difficulty. So, I jumped back in to play on. From chapter 2 onwards.

And I reached the boss. I already knew it had a dirty trick from Very Hard, but I didn't know just how much its damage output had been increased. That's like, a completely different fight on Revengeance because of that. Mess up once at range and Raiden is down three nanopastes, if you're lucky. Get into a corner and you're dead.

But I prevailed.
Good old Armor Breaker to take care of the minion GRAD in two hits, then switch to Murasama + Sai to fish for a perfect parry on the main GRAD. Many, many retires later and I finally got that parry. -70% HP on the GRAD. then I just had to mop up down to 10% and finish it.

Next up, chapter 3. I'm sure nothing in chapter 3 will be stupidly difficult. Yup. Nothing dangerous coming up here.

I dread Revengeance Monsoon. Those combos..."

So, after a few months, I remembered I was trying to beat this game on Revengeance difficulty. So, I jumped back in to play on. From chapter 2 onwards.

And I reached the boss. I already knew it had a dirty trick from Very Hard, but I didn't know just how much its damage output had been increased. That's like, a completely different fight on Revengeance because of that. Mess up once at range and Raiden is down three nanopastes, if you're lucky. Get into a corner and you're dead.

But I prevailed.
Good old Armor Breaker to take care of the minion GRAD in two hits, then switch to Murasama + Sai to fish for a perfect parry on the main GRAD. Many, many retires later and I finally got that parry. -70% HP on the GRAD. then I just had to mop up down to 10% and finish it.

Next up, chapter 3. I'm sure nothing in chapter 3 will be stupidly difficult. Yup. Nothing dangerous coming up here.

I dread Revengeance Monsoon. Those combos..."

I'm stuck on that Chapter 2 boss. It is brutal and may be the end of my Revengeance playthrough unless I find the time and determination to torture myself. Still love this game.

McNum

I'm stuck on that Chapter 2 boss. It is brutal and may be the end of my Revengeance playthrough unless I find the time and determination to torture myself. Still love this game.
It's one hell of a fight. No way I'd have won without both a fully upgraded Armor Breaker AND Murasama. The Armor Breaker is just that good on Revengeance.

You just gotta realize that the game, more or less, only has three kinds of enemies. Enemies you can cut in Blade Mode any time, enemies with armor, and bosses.

The first you can take out easily. The second you have to Armor Break, and the bosses are immune to total Armor Break. So, Armor Breaker for the first two, Murasama for the latter.

And yes, the Armor Breaker works on the
second GRAD
. Gotta rush it as soon as the fight starts, otherwise you'll be overwhelmed.

Well deserved edit: I DID IT! I've joined the Revengeance Club!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Discovered I could lock on grenades at the end of chapter four. fuck me, lol

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Completed the game! GREAT stuff. A bit torned about the last three chapters being extremely short. Especially Chapter five (just a couple of small levels) and six (basically just a boss fight). Seven was also short, but the Armstrong fight made up for it! :)

Started over on Hard, and was surprised to see S ranks clocking in R00 and R01. I guess I learned a bit playing the main game on normal :p

hwateber

Just started this and logged about 4 hours. Pretty stupidly fun at the moment even though the variety is lacking. Boss battles are batshit insane so far
just beat monsoon
. Also holy shit at Raiden's batman voice. So bad that it's good. I keep expecting to hear him say "you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain"

Iztli

Can someone help me?

The HUD and steam overlay flicker like crazy. It goes away in window mode but once I change it back to fullscreen it comes back.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
am i missing something here, how the fuck do u block?
also, there's no backdash, this game needs a backdash
Parrying is your main form of defense. Flick the Left Stick in the enemy's direction while hitting Light Attack at the same time. Mastering this technique will let you block and/or counter almost any physical attack.

The game's "backdash" is called "Defensive Offence". You have to purchase it from the Customize Menu first. The actual input is Light Attack + Jump. Use it with Left Stick to dash forward or to the side. Defensive Offence also has invincibility frames that let you phase straight through attacks if you time it correctly.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Decided to pop this back up again on steam and finally got that one achievement I've been hunting for.

It's not the last one by any stretch but I always wanted to get it done but never really did

Finally no damaged Armstrong on revengeance!

epmode

Well I said that after 2-3 weeks if this game didn't get a patch I'd just release my patcher (been done for weeks already), so here you go. In case you don't want to use a program, you can always just apply the manual patching for the latest version with these addresses. Keep in mind this will only work for the latest version of the game (The first patched version), so if they do any further updates this tool will be useless until re-done (I'm hoping they add proper resolution support with the next patch anyway).

With today's 50% off sale, I finally picked up MGSR. I love you for this, BTW. Shit looked terrible before I got this running.

Got this on Steam sale and wow this game is fantastic. How does this compare to Bayonetta 1/2? I kind of want to pick up the game and am curious if it is as good as thi?

Joeku

This is a much lighter game in terms of mechanics than the Bayonettas, but it feels about as good. That's the Platinum touch.

Oreoleo

Got this on Steam sale and wow this game is fantastic. How does this compare to Bayonetta 1/2? I kind of want to pick up the game and am curious if it is as good as thi?

The difference between MG Rising and Bayonetta is like the difference between Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry. They are similar.. but not really.

(Bayonetta is better)

Top Bottom