• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Westraid

Just finished the main story for the first time. I decided early on I wouldn't go for the S-Ranks only as with my lack of patience it'd ruin the fun, but man this game was so great. I absolutely loved playing it. Last games that had such fun gameplay were Vanquish and Bayonetta, so Platinum Games is sitting tight on the throne of my favourite devs.

Raiden back as the playable character was something that had been sitting on my wishlist since MGS2. Really hoping for a sequel. Until then I'll be killing time with the DLC, VR missions and.. Well maybe I'll go for all S rank after all.

Yep. It's total bullshit and I don't get why Platinum did the boss that way if they were going to "no damage" achievement it. :/
I would argue that the fight itself is not bad, because it makes you dodge a lot, and learn the timing of his attacks, but it feels like the achievement was there just because the other bosses had, and it didnt work really well.

Uraizen

Banned
Sundowner must have been pretty confident in his invincibility. He could have run right off the edge and killed himself. What a dumb butt.

Getting the Stormbringer achievement made me really appreciate the Pincer and Armor Breaker.

I'll be honest, I did the first two missions with the wig b, but unlimited ripper mode is absolutely OP. The annoyance of armored enemies became apparent after that, so I decided to get all the left hand ids first and got the armor breaker...

It is a godsend, and the pincers also have high armor breaking rate and the stun most enemies, and the second charge and third kill most enemies.

Guys, I've having extreme difficulty with
Armstrong.. the battle where he's shirtless and has the fire attacks...

Here's what's going down. First I kept dying within three hits.. Had no idea how to handle him. Finally I got to an event where he throws giant pieces of rock at me, but I died at the second one.

Now I figured out the best thing to do seemingly is to just attack and dodge offensive repeatedly.. Gets him to that event quickly....

My problem is, I CAN NOT beat that event.. I can cut the first rock piece no problem, but when the second rock piece comes, I can not line my sword up with it.. it's too far away... I almost feel like it's a bug, because I know what's supposed to be happening, but my cut line is offset, so no matter how I aim it, it can be parallel, but will never go through all targets.

Am I supposed to let go of the zandatsu button after pressing it? I've been under the impression the whole game that I need to hold it during those events, but the game isn't clear, but the cutting events come back to back, if I should let go, and press it again...

I tried to wait for the stone to come to me closer before pressing the zandatsu button again, but I feel like I'm not supposed to do that, and once initiating it in the first rock, I don't need to do it again... Feel this way because somethings off and I'm just dying.

Any ideas??? To reiterate, I can't cut the second rock he throws at me. My cutting line is offset from the line of the targets,.. if I keep holding the zandatsu button, or waiting during the zandatsu, it appears to run out and the rock just slams into me.

Help!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Any ideas??? To reiterate, I can't cut the second rock he throws at me. My cutting line is offset from the line of the targets,.. if I keep holding the zandatsu button, or waiting during the zandatsu, it appears to run out and the rock just slams into me.

Help!

One stick controls the camera while the other controls the angle of the slash. You need to use both to get the correct slice.

Alternatively, you can ninja run away from the debris.

One stick controls the camera while the other controls the angle of the slash. You need to use both to get the correct slice.

Alternatively, you can ninja run away from the debris.

Didn't even think of that. I'll try adjusting the camera up a bit into the line of targets.

Thank you!

Excellent, that did the trick.

Hate to come back so soon for help, but
how do you prevent him from recovering all his health back? It shows a little target symbol while he regenerates, but attacking him results in taking damage.. there's something I'm missing right? Or am I supposed to let him regenerate all his health on several occasions?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Excellent, that did the trick.

Hate to come back so soon for help, but
how do you prevent him from recovering all his health back? It shows a little target symbol while he regenerates, but attacking him results in taking damage.. there's something I'm missing right? Or am I supposed to let him regenerate all his health on several occasions?

The target's on his back, where the green is originating.

Thanks. That did the trick. Took him out and beat the game on hard as my first playthrough. Yay!

Pretty cool game.. I really liked it.. The hardest parts were moments where I didn't understand what was going on or how I should be playing.

Still don't know what moves I should have been using.. Just slamming x and Y, and I don't know if the game encouraged otherwise.

I didn't play Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, etc though.. Maybe this stuff comes second nature to some people.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Thanks. That did the trick. Took him out and beat the game on hard as my first playthrough. Yay!

Pretty cool game.. I really liked it.. The hardest parts were moments where I didn't understand what was going on or how I should be playing.

Still don't know what moves I should have been using.. Just slamming x and Y, and I don't know if the game encouraged otherwise.

I didn't play Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, etc though.. Maybe this stuff comes second nature to some people.

Congrats!

There are things like launchers and stingers, crowd control moves, diving aerial attacks, and specific combos, but there's less of an emphasis on this with Raiden in MGR vs. something like Devil May Cry since his free form XXXXXX is just a continuous combo. It's definitely not the optimal way of going about things, though.

Sundowner is pretty fun to fight if you don't cheese him. If there were no way to do a bunch of damage to him while he still has his shields and you have to get rid of them, he wouldn't have seemed like such a pushover. He also should've had like 200 percent health.

Jintor

He should just have had 360 degree shield coverage to start off with, and then you're forced to whittle away at least some of his shields when he goes into turtle mode

b0uncyfr0

Is there any news regarding an update to fix the camera or Fov perhaps? Im on holidays and so tempted to start playing because i know ill get used to the camera problems.

Organon

Neo Member
So I'm at the end of the Monsoon fight. He's at 10% and throws a pillar at me. The game prompts for RT+LS. Raiden runs up the pillar. Then a vehicle's thrown at him and the game prompts for blade mode. Yet I can't enter it and can't cut the vehicle, so I die. What am I missing?

Burnburn

So I'm at the end of the Monsoon fight. He's at 10% and throws a pillar at me. The game prompts for RT+LS. Raiden runs up the pillar. Then a vehicle's thrown at him and the game prompts for blade mode. Yet I can't enter it and can't cut the vehicle, so I die. What am I missing?

Sounds like a bug to me, a lot of people suffer the same one. What seems to cause it is the frame rate being slightly below 60 fps.

sn00zer

Hey quick question is the DLC free on the PS3 version in the US? About to drop $$20 to buy th game
EDIT: Looks like it is...bought

Organon

Neo Member
Sounds like a bug to me, a lot of people suffer the same one. What seems to cause it is the frame rate being slightly below 60 fps.
Whoops! Actually, in this case, my addled brain is responsible. After a night's rest I tried again and remembered blade mode was LT, not RT. The first prompt (for ninja run) must have primed me in the wrong way.

SOLDIER

For the life of me I just can't find a working method to getting this game to automatically go borderless fullscreen upon startup.

An autohotkey script would probably be best, but I have no idea how to make one myself. Can anyone please help me out here?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I'm pretty sure if I could toggle the particle effects intensity I'd be able to get 60 FPS on my crappy laptop for this game, but I guess DMC4 will have to do for travel action.

Jintor

trying to no-damage Sam on Very Hard is a real pain in the tuchus even with the masamune. Sometimes the stick doesn't reset to neutral fast enough to parry his combos, other times you mistime the d/o on his unarmed charge move, or you try and stinger him and he leaps into the air and you have no idea which 'side' of you he'll come down on.

And i'd rate him the second easiest boss to no-damage, too. *sigh*

fresquito

I can't believe how bad the camera can be. There's simply no excuse. If someone asked me if they should buy this game, I'd say them not to. The elevator part is probably the worst gaming experience I've had in years. I understand they had little time to do the game, but how can you be so moronic to design such a situation? You know your camera is the worst in the business, yet you design most every encounter set in tight places, full of walls? Come on. At this point I feel like I'm wasting my time with this game.

b0uncyfr0

I can't believe how bad the camera can be. There's simply no excuse. If someone asked me if they should buy this game, I'd say them not to.You know your camera is the worst in the business, yet you design most every encounter set in tight places, full of walls? Come on. At this point I feel like I'm wasting my time with this game.

And this is why i havent even touched the game yet!!

I can't believe how bad the camera can be. There's simply no excuse. If someone asked me if they should buy this game, I'd say them not to. The elevator part is probably the worst gaming experience I've had in years. I understand they had little time to do the game, but how can you be so moronic to design such a situation? You know your camera is the worst in the business, yet you design most every encounter set in tight places, full of walls? Come on. At this point I feel like I'm wasting my time with this game.

The camera is bad, but it does not undermine the entire experience.

So we're definitely not getting that display patch, huh?
if you're talking about the "1080p, 24 fps" glitch, set it to windowed borderless using a windowed borderless thang

Tommy DJ

trying to no-damage Sam on Very Hard is a real pain in the tuchus even with the masamune. Sometimes the stick doesn't reset to neutral fast enough to parry his combos, other times you mistime the d/o on his unarmed charge move, or you try and stinger him and he leaps into the air and you have no idea which 'side' of you he'll come down on.

And i'd rate him the second easiest boss to no-damage, too. *sigh*

Is there something wrong with your controller? Sam has four different sets of combos, all of them can be blocked by simply smashing the block combination. You don't need to time it, you will completely block three of the combos and parry counter the combo where Sam finishes with an uppercut swing.

I did this on both the PS3 and PC with a Dualshock and wired Xbox 360 controller respectively.

Jintor

I think the 360 controller takes longer to reset to neutral than normal. I can reliably mash parry his combos 95% of the time but that's not sufficient for a V.Hard no damage run.

I managed it on PS3 last year tho, so i dunno.

Teknoman

The camera is bad, but it does not undermine the entire experience.

if you're talking about the "1080p, 24 fps" glitch, set it to windowed borderless using a windowed borderless thang

Have they said anything about standard fullscreen 1080p black bars being fixed? It was an HDMI issue I believe... It makes the screen look shrunken in some whenever set to 1080p.

I mean worst to worst, I can dig up a DVI cable somewhere...but I really dont want to.

Levyne

Banned
Have they said anything about standard fullscreen 1080p black bars being fixed? It was an HDMI issue I believe... It makes the screen look shrunken in some whenever set to 1080p.

I mean worst to worst, I can dig up a DVI cable somewhere...but I really dont want to.

I still have black bars through dvi

Holiday

Banned
Still stuck on the final boss because the camera goes spastic. After I cut the first object, the camera auto centers on Raiden's fat foot, and I have to drag it all the way back up to the next object, wasting time and patience. Straight, hot garbage.

Necrovex

I'm curious if anyone has or could make me a IOS ringtone of this particular moment, (End-Game)
"Nanomachines, Son."?
I want to make it my official text notification ring.

Ilúvatar

Up until the Steam release, I did too. Still do.

Well therein lies the problem - not gonna rebuy on Steam because I have a perfectly good PS3 copy that I plan to Platinum. It just boggles my mind that both the Sam and Bladewolf DLC packs are free on PSN and the option to shell out money for one of the best weapons in the game isn't even there :(

Ilúvatar;102282578 said:
Well therein lies the problem - not gonna rebuy on Steam because I have a perfectly good PS3 copy that I plan to Platinum. It just boggles my mind that both the Sam and Bladewolf DLC packs are free on PSN and the option to shell out money for one of the best weapons in the game isn't even there :(

Honestly the reason I double-dipped on Steam, besides supporting Platinum on their first PC release, was because the Steam version ended up being the GOTY/Definitive edition. All the outfits split up among different countries and vendors compiled in one place, slight graphical updates, selectable boss battles, DLC bundled in, codec and cutscene collections, and maybe something else I'm forgetting.

I'd very much want this version on PS3, all on one disc. But I just went where that version was distributed, and was fortunate the PC I have could play it.

I was going to write a long post about how much I hate the camera and how much it has ruined my experience with the game, but that captures it perfectly. I can't even beat normal mode because the camera is so bad. I think I'm done with this game.

Top Bottom