• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Help me NeoGAF; you're my only hope. I'm stuck in the second Armstrong fight in Very Hard (the barefisted fight): the cutscene to end it doesn't seem to trigger no matter what I do, I always die instead. I've tried surviving for a couple of minutes (I've seen it trigger in less than a minute in other players' videos), I've brought him to below 99% (I've seen it trigger well above 99% in videos). What the hell does it trigger it? :/

ArjanN

Help me NeoGAF; you're my only hope. I'm stuck in the second Armstrong fight in Very Hard (the barefisted fight): the cutscene to end it doesn't seem to trigger no matter what I do, I always die instead. I've tried surviving for a couple of minutes (I've seen it trigger in less than a minute in other players' videos), I've brought him to below 99% (I've seen it trigger well above 99% in videos). What the hell does it trigger it? :/

Had the same problem yesterday. That bit is a lot trickier on Very Hard than on Hard. You need to lower his health and then take a hit, the problem is if you've taken too much damage at that point the hit you take will kill you.

Don't block his attacks! You still take damage! Dodge everything. During that section your dodge is flipping around like in MGS2.

Also remember use Ripper mode to do more damage.

I think you can also dodge him for 2-3 minutes, but that's actually harder and more tedious.

Had the same problem yesterday. That bit is a lot trickier on Very Hard than on Hard. You need to lower his health and then take a hit, the problem is if you've taken too much damage at that point the hit you take will kill you.

Oooh, I see. So you have to have at least 75% health, since each hit you take takes 50%, right? What percentage is good, 99%? Also, do you have to get hit by a specific attack or any will do?

Don't block his attacks! You still take damage! Dodge everything. During that section your dodge is flipping around like in MGS2.

Yeah, no joke, you take 25% each time you block; I just dodge everything and stay out of range.

Also remember use Ripper mode to do more damage.

I'm tempted to use the infinite fuel cell wig for this, actually. Speaking of which, do they affect your rating or anything?

I think you can also dodge him for 2-3 minutes, but that's actually harder and more tedious.

I guess I'll try that if all else fails. Thanks a lot for everything!

epmode

Well I said that after 2-3 weeks if this game didn't get a patch I'd just release my patcher (been done for weeks already), so here you go.

Thanks very much!

I'm still disappointed that Platinum hasn't patched in additional resolution options but at least we'll have a way to play this on high resolution monitors.

Really though, why are they so cagey about a patch? It's not like they need to wait for certification or anything.

Got it on my first try after this. Then died over and over in the very final cutscene after its third form when blade mode didn't want to activate for the final two punches you have to counter with it. Sometimes it seems like I could hold it from a couple of seconds before, other times even almost nailing the timing it did nothing. Sigh.

Started Revengeance S rank walkthrough. Goddamn, the prologue even took me lik 5 times, those guys at the gates were a pain, until I remembered you can skip that part.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
"Raiden, Raiden, Raiden. I thought stealth ops were your specia...." STUFF IT KEV!

I restarted this part like a million billion times an only the very first time was the one I got down the stairs into the first corner unnoticed. Never even got ta sneak up ontop of the stuffs right by it -_-!! Oh ya, thats part 3 done btw. That groznyj grad boss was was pretty easy as in I only gameovered to it once then proceeded to beat it up without really knowing wtf I was supposed to be doing. That's just how things go! Now whats up with the start to part 4? Why did they take Courtney away from your codec? NEVER TAKE AWAY MANUAL SAVING!!!!

Grade: ??? I forgot to even look. Is there a way to view your past mission stats?

random thought: that eyeball brain in jars room scene is gonna give me nightmares

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I need someone to talk me into buying this game.

Check out these sweet bosses
12356704215_e6e951fa5e_c.jpg

Do you like over the top crazy-ass action? Do you like slashing man and machine alike into teeny-tiny little bits? Do you like super cheesy, so-cheesy-it's-good- music?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions, buy it like yesterday.

b0uncyfr0

Ive been following the thread for a while and the lack of proper resolution support kinda turned me off especially since i like to downsample.

Since Dario ff just released his Resolution tool, i thought maybe its time to fire it up only to get this:

"The application was unable to start correctly ( 0xc0000142)."

Ive tried everything thus far and nothing's worked yet. Was hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

You know after playing through this game for a second time (first was on 360) it's so much more enjoyable now that I understand how the block / parry system works.

Dario ff

Banned
Thanks very much!

I'm still disappointed that Platinum hasn't patched in additional resolution options but at least we'll have a way to play this on high resolution monitors.

Really though, why are they so cagey about a patch? It's not like they need to wait for certification or anything.
It kinda depends on their implementation. From what I saw when looking through some of the methods in Cheat Engine, it seems like a lot of stuff is hardcoded depending on the resolution index they pick (which again, is another resolution list hardcoded). The GUI Scaling values don't even seem to be dependent on the value of the list, but are rather hardcoded depending on what resolution index is picked.

Without the code-base I can't say, but I imagine that supporting a dynamic list of resolutions that are queried from the display would take a significant amount of work to several parts of the codebase. I sent them quite a lengthy guide in how to approach this properly, so I imagine the biggest issues to implementing it are:
  • The menu options need to be reimplemented to show a dynamic list.
  • The ability to select a refresh rate also needs to be implemented in this list.
  • The configuration binary files need to be reimplemented in a way to not rely on a resolution index. This can be quite a problem and is the biggest annoyance of going for a binary configuration system, because these files will be completely incompatible if they decide to add more graphical options. They need to take into account how to keep it backwards compatible with the old files.
  • Given the above, they might be spending time in doing a text-based approach instead, like an ini file, since I'm sure PC gamers appreciate those a lot more than binary files.
  • The GUI Scaling needs to be reimplemented and recalculated based on the height of the current selected resolution, instead of relying on a table of 5 hardcoded values depending on the resolution index. What my patcher does is replace this value as well on the exe depending on the resolution you pick.
Besides that, I imagine they're spending more time in fixing the issues that are actually affecting the gameplay, like the low framerate -> unable to do QTEs bugs. Apart from that, they need to redo QA on a lot of these before pushing a patch.

EDIT: They might be fixing as well a LOT of these.

Since Dario ff just released his Resolution tool, i thought maybe its time to fire it up only to get this:

"The application was unable to start correctly ( 0xc0000142)."
Sounds to me like the exe version is different than the tool expects and it got corrupted as a result. Try to either restore the executable backup or verify the Steam cache. Once you do that, post the total file size here (or an MD5 hash if you know how to generate one). That's my only guess at the moment.

b0uncyfr0

Sounds to me like the exe version is different than the tool expects and it got corrupted as a result. Try to either restore the executable backup or verify the Steam cache. Once you do that, post the total file size here (or an MD5 hash if you know how to generate one). That's my only guess at the moment.

Yep its definitely something to do with the tool. I made a backup before using your tool and after i copied it back, the game wouldnt run but when i restores the original game exe, it ran fine. Sorry dont know how to generate MD5 hash but the file size the tool restores was 25Mb. The Same as the original.

Holiday

Banned
I've played through the prologue and the first mission. I'm having a good amount of fun, especially after I started to get a hang of all the moves and stuff. The story, though, I just have no idea what it's about. It isn't very compelling, but that's offset somewhat by the fact that I can slice a locker into 1012 pieces.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Okies I've reached the point where I'm not having any fun and am gonna revert to easy mode. Good show Monsoon, you're a tedious and annoying enough enemy to make me give up!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
What's your issue with him?
It seems ta be a long fight with long stretches of running/hopping around (hoping) to avoid being hit with very short stints of actually being able to widdle down his health to the next form. Also he stuns me alot which means alot of stick wiggling which is a cruddy mechanic in the first place. I'd rather mash the awful L2/R2 buttons then stick mash! Often I just give up an take the abuse until the stun wears off on its own lol.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
It seems ta be a long fight with long stretches of running/hopping around (hoping) to avoid being hit with very short stints of actually being able to widdle down his health to the next form. Also he stuns me alot which means alot of stick wiggling which is a cruddy mechanic in the first place. I'd rather mash the awful L2/R2 buttons then stick mash! Often I just give up an take the abuse until the stun wears off on its own lol.

You should probably just jump back when he throws the stun grenades since he has a tell in his animations for when he does it. Watch closely.

Dario ff

Banned
Yep its definitely something to do with the tool. I made a backup before using your tool and after i copied it back, the game wouldnt run but when i restores the original game exe, it ran fine. Sorry dont know how to generate MD5 hash but the file size the tool restores was 25Mb. The Same as the original.
Check if it matches this exact file size (Only the "Size" one, not "Size on disk"). Right click on the exe > Properties. It should be exactly 26,214,912 bytes.

0S4QRc0.png

If the file sizes differ, verify the Steam cache. I checked just in case by verifying my own Steam cache, re-did the patching with my tool, and the game still works with the new resolution. If that doesn't solve it then I guess there's some other hardware-related issue that I can't track down like this.

b0uncyfr0

Check if it matches this exact file size (Only the "Size" one, not "Size on disk"). Right click on the exe > Properties. It should be exactly 26,214,912 bytes.

Yep confirmed! The orginal exe size and the modifed exe size are exactly the same.

This might be nothing but i downloaded this supposed fix for the 142 error for Metro Last Light and suprisingly the game (WITH YOUR modified EXE) runs. There is no more error but it crashes after a few seconds; "blah blah has stopped working".

So something in those files obviously fixes the 142 error. Heres the link:

http://tiny.cc/id0xax

TnK

Well I said that after 2-3 weeks if this game didn't get a patch I'd just release my patcher (been done for weeks already), so here you go. In case you don't want to use a program, you can always just apply the manual patching for the latest version with these addresses. Keep in mind this will only work for the latest version of the game (The first patched version), so if they do any further updates this tool will be useless until re-done (I'm hoping they add proper resolution support with the next patch anyway).

Download here. This should make a backup of your exe before patching on the same folder if it doesn't exist yet, but feel free to make one of your own just in case.

TMPxlpr.png

Few things to note.
  • Weird behaviour with shadowmaps at very high resolutions. It's probably related to VRAM usage?
  • You have to re-select the resolution each time you boot up the game. It's annoying, but it's due to the way the game tries to autodetect the resolution on the display list it should use. (i.e., if you use 1600x900 and boot up in that resolution, the game will try to cap it to the next lowest resolution, 1366x768)
  • Might not work in fullscreen if you don't have the display mode available due to this game requesting the refresh rate of it.
  • If you have 1440p available on your display modes yet you have a 1080p monitor over HDMI, using this hack will actually fix the 24/50hz bug as a side-effect because 60 HZ will be the only mode for 1440p by default.
  • Should work fine in Windowed mode.

Don't forget to check out my other mod as well if you want for removing the grain filter.

Causes my game to crash every time I try to go to 800x600. Tips?

EDIT: NP, fixed it by setting it at 800x600 before patching. This patch also allows 4K right? Also, does this allow for downsampling? Can't seem to make it work with fullscreen, as it reverts back to 1980x1080.
Grain removal mod works like a charm, thanks.

Dario ff

Banned
Nope, I actually have a really beefy PC. Gotta make use of all that hardware one way or another. Trying to run the game at 4K downsampled.
Does your display/GPU actually support 4k as a valid display mode in other games? I think the game tries to request the refresh rate of the mode you pick there (While still using the native desktop res, I know, it's weird), so it might crash if it's not supported. Try 1440p first to make sure it's no patching error.

Actually, that reminds me I should probably try this with SoftTH as well to check my theory.

EDIT: Haha yes! My theory was right. You need to have the display mode available (even if it never actually uses it!) to be able to use 4k, because the game requests the refresh rate of it. You can use SoftTH if you want just to have the display mode available, but you won't have to deal with the scaling of SoftTH.

If you already have the display mode tho, it might be crashing for some other reason that I can't guess.

The final boss is one of the greatest final bosses in the history of gaming; from a gameplay and narrative design he's just perfect. I can't give a shit about any MGS game not produced by platinum from this point because Rising offers amazing gameplay, and a ludicrous presentation, along with the message which Kojima's been failing to deliver for some time now. It's stupid in the best possible way with great gameplay to back it up so you'd literally be a fucking awful person for not buying it at its current price if you have any interest in Kojima storytelling or Platinum gameplay.

solarus

Well I said that after 2-3 weeks if this game didn't get a patch I'd just release my patcher (been done for weeks already), so here you go. In case you don't want to use a program, you can always just apply the manual patching for the latest version with these addresses. Keep in mind this will only work for the latest version of the game (The first patched version), so if they do any further updates this tool will be useless until re-done (I'm hoping they add proper resolution support with the next patch anyway).

Download here. This should make a backup of your exe before patching on the same folder if it doesn't exist yet, but feel free to make one of your own just in case.

TMPxlpr.png

Few things to note.
  • Weird behaviour with shadowmaps at very high resolutions. It's probably related to VRAM usage?
  • You have to re-select the resolution each time you boot up the game. It's annoying, but it's due to the way the game tries to autodetect the resolution on the display list it should use. (i.e., if you use 1600x900 and boot up in that resolution, the game will try to cap it to the next lowest resolution, 1366x768)
  • Might not work in fullscreen if you don't have the display mode available due to this game requesting the refresh rate of it.
  • If you have 1440p available on your display modes yet you have a 1080p monitor over HDMI, using this hack will actually fix the 24/50hz bug as a side-effect because 60 HZ will be the only mode for 1440p by default.
  • Should work fine in Windowed mode.

Don't forget to check out my other mod as well if you want for removing the grain filter.
Deserves its own thread.
Thank you!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Done! Restarted on Easy an marathoned the game in 2 sessions today. Save file says 3:51 but I know better then that. I kept track of my playtime an it was 6:28. Dunno why they only count the time spent fighting or how they totally seemed to run on empty after R:04. Cause wow. 5/6 were short as short can be. Auto-Parry saved my butt here an there. Tried doing it on my own of course but me an timing is as terrible as terrible can be. That final boss sure was something? Kinda took much to long to get to the non-automated part but w/e. Precision blade mode is not my thing either that or my camera control settings screwed me up but the two should have nothing ta do with one another?

Had a total blast playing through the game this way even if get berated for it! More importantly do the weapons an powerups ya bought in a playthrough get carried over to your next one on the same or higher difficulty?

Babby Dog Ninja Grades: A / B / B / C / C / B / B / A - Overall: B

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Had a total blast playing through the game this way even if get berated for it! More importantly do the weapons an powerups ya bought in a playthrough get carried over to your next one on the same or higher difficulty?

YES, provided you do not select new game.! Select Chapter select your difficulty and start "New Game+"

TnK

Does your display/GPU actually support 4k as a valid display mode in other games? I think the game tries to request the refresh rate of the mode you pick there (While still using the native desktop res, I know, it's weird), so it might crash if it's not supported. Try 1440p first to make sure it's no patching error.

Actually, that reminds me I should probably try this with SoftTH as well to check my theory.

EDIT: Haha yes! My theory was right. You need to have the display mode available (even if it never actually uses it!) to be able to use 4k, because the game requests the refresh rate of it. You can use SoftTH if you want just to have the display mode available, but you won't have to deal with the scaling of SoftTH.

If you already have the display mode tho, it might be crashing for some other reason that I can't guess.
I can run it on 1440p, but not on fullscreen. 4K does not work though, as It causes my game to crash.

EDIT: My GTX580 in SLI can't do 4K it seems. Max resolution is 2560x1600.

EDIT 2: How can I run the game downsampled from 1440p at 1080p?

gotoadgo

Just beat Armstrong and what a fight it was. I loved it to begin with and then I hated it for a while as he was slaughtering me. I took a break for the afternoon and reset myself. Hit it up after dinner with a fresh mind and better outlook and loved it!
The music had me PUMPED to beat that bastard and when I knew it was going to happen I was so hyped.
Fantastic game that has me excited to get into Platinum's other games(Bayonetta especially, but also W101). Also excited for a sequel to MGR. The world needs more games that are just FUN like this. Rock music and kicking ass never gets old.

Dario ff

Banned
I can run it on 1440p, but not on fullscreen. 4K does not work though, as It causes my game to crash.

EDIT: My GTX580 in SLI can't do 4K it seems. Max resolution is 2560x1600.

EDIT 2: How can I run the game downsampled from 1440p at 1080p?
Leave your desktop at 1080p, and just patch the game to be 1440p. Then just select 800x600 ingame every time you start the game and you're good to go. The game scales whatever internal resolution you pick to match your desktop resolution.

Hey, at least it was only 5 to 6 hours. Could have been much worse.
yeah, and it wasn't even like i was getting noticeably better. I won because of luck, really. He did the explosion attack with a marked area 2 times, so i could to 20-30% damage on him.

leng jai

How the hell do I get this game to stop tearing at 60fps/1080p? I've tried D3D overrider, windows borderless mode, forcing it the control panel...nothing works.

Jex

What the hell is with this elevator fight. Dear lord. I'm just being chain stunned all over the place even while abusing EMP grenades. This is the only time in the game that I've been stuck. Why would you make such a small area with such lame enemies and such a poor camera?

Edit: Cheesed the hell out of it by using 5 emps, 3 grenades, 3 rockets and 2 smokes. What the heck, Platinum?

Hey guys, I want to use SGSSAA for this game, but every Nvidia Inspector screen I see looks different than what I have. For example, my version is missing the "compatibility" section entirely. Are there different versions of the program?

Mine looks like this:
nvidia_20140210_213744.png

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
FINALLY! man... this battle is so luck based, because his attacks are randomized, oh god. i believe i spent 5-6 hours trying to get this achievement, lol.

Yep. It's total bullshit and I don't get why Platinum did the boss that way if they were going to "no damage" achievement it. :/

Top Bottom