• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

I have absolutely no attachment to the world of Metal Gear at all. I'm coming at this with the mindset that this is from the developers of some of the greatest character action games ever made and their pedigree is an almost ironclad assurance that the game will be in an upper echelon of quality. So i'm being pretty let down right now, especially coming off of W101, which is 100% superlative (and my game of the year last year). Bayonetta, Vanquish and W101 all control better, have deeper combat systems and don't rely on gimmicks so readily. I know this game had a sorted history, but it isn't living up to the Platinum name at all.

It's like you said...the game's got quite a story behind its development. I'm more than willing to blame that clusterfuck for Rising's flaws, and eagerly await seeing what P* will do with a proper dev cycle and budget for the sequel.

Trojan X

Banned
The 4th boss is terrible. A turtle boss who has more damage delt to him by the helcopter which the game only allows you to target 20% of the time because of the game's shitty camera. Fuck that.

I'm about halfway through this game and I can already say without a doubt that MGR is Platinum's weakest game.

Well, the only excuse I can think of is you have to consider that this game was actually a recovery mission sent by Kojima as his own team did a very poor job. If Platinum had the project from the very beginning I'm sure the game would have been much better than this.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Someone needs to add the SGSSAA stuff to the OP it makes the game look pretty great if you got the hardware to do it. I can only go to 2x but it works wonders.
i8qxI8Tl28eww.png

And both this and Max Payne 3 should be a harsh warning to all PC gamers doing the digital for any future games with a lot of pre-rendered cinematics. Xbox One and PlayStation 4 have the data size now to support 720/1080p native footage alongside game data, and thus PC ports should have them too. And that means game data size is going to explode.

I wish developers would embrace in-engine cutscenes. It's something I absolutely adored about Binary Domain on PC; apart from the smaller overall filesize, it meant that there was almost no perceivable drop or change in visual quality between cutscene and gameplay (cutscenes were locked at 30FPS, for whatever reason). Such a fantastic change from the usual ordeal of being kicked out of your glorious 1080p/120FPS gameplay into a 720p/30FPS Bink file full of macroblocking. It also allows those lovely seamless cutscene-to-gameplay transitions, and it's always nice seeing your character's special costumes/weapons and such reflected in the cutscenes.

Obviously the big tick for pre-rendered is that devs can hide load screens behind them, though. And, in Revengeance's case, they can whack a dirty great film-grain filter over everything. But my SSD will cry if we start seeing 50GB next-gen ports on Steam.

Xyber

His face, so perfect.
11866650423_27f206b960_o.gif

I'm done for tonight, loving it so far. Platinum Games should really release more games on PC (still haven't played Vanquish because I can't go back to those old shitty consoles.. :( ).

MormaPope

Banned
I still haven't played anarchy reigns so I can't make that judgment.

You're probably too late, I got AR when it launched in the US and the online userbase was extremely low. Was worth the $30 to experience console multiplayer that didn't feel manufactured or canned.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
You're probably too late, I got AR when it launched in the US and the online userbase was extremely low. Was worth the $30 to experience console multiplayer that didn't feel manufactured or canned.

That game seems like it was made for PC with the online matches so it's a shame it was never on it.

For some reason MGR has such a capacity for people to play the game very badly, almost as much as Vanquish does. There's some level of ineffective tutorializing and some of the mechanics are unintuitive, but most of all the game is actually way too easy on Normal difficulty so it's often not apparent to people that they're playing poorly.

The lock-on and the camera are really, really bad, though. I can't imagine Platinum being pleased with how those things turned out.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
His face, so perfect.

I'm done for tonight, loving it so far. Platinum Games should really release more games on PC (still haven't played Vanquish because I can't go back to those old shitty consoles.. :( ).

If I had to describe Vanquish in one word, it would be "sleek": the voice acting is horrible and the story virtually non-existent, but at its core is superb third-person shooting that controls like a dream. I'd pick up a PC release in a heartbeat.

Sober

Totally (almost) new to this genre of games and decided to start on hard. Gotta dodge more. The sewers part with the three t-rex robots ... must've restarted a couple dozen times.

Wonderful 101 looks.... exciting, but it's definitely not a system seller for me. Especially since the Wii U is still $429 in AUS. Maybe I'll pick up a Wii U when it's $199.

So far, unfortunately there are a heap of 'great'ish games that have come out on the Wii U but nothing has pushed me over the line to want to buy it yet. Unfortunately my multiplayer experiences in groups have become ultimately non-existant now and that rules out any desire for Mario Kart and Smash Bros. W101 is a good step in the right direction, but it's so... suited for a Nintendo system. I like the style and I love the idea, it sounds so fresh, but I don't know if it's for me (i'm primarily a PC gamer).

Anyway, back to MGRR.

Zeliard

His face, so perfect.

Heh recently got to that part too. The Minstral fight was very cool. All of the boss fights so far have been very enjoyable, which isn't surprising to me since it was the same in Bayonetta.

Wonderful 101 looks.... exciting, but it's definitely not a system seller for me. Especially since the Wii U is still $429 in AUS. Maybe I'll pick up a Wii U when it's $199.

So far, unfortunately there are a heap of 'great'ish games that have come out on the Wii U but nothing has pushed me over the line to want to buy it yet. Unfortunately my multiplayer experiences in groups have become ultimately non-existant now and that rules out any desire for Mario Kart and Smash Bros. W101 is a good step in the right direction, but it's so... suited for a Nintendo system. I like the style and I love the idea, it sounds so fresh, but I don't know if it's for me (i'm primarily a PC gamer).

Anyway, back to MGRR.

Too experimental or....colorful?

Riposte

lol, took me forever to beat the first post-prologue fight on Very Hard

I was going to warn you about that. It's pretty ridiculous lol. You do so little damage and grabs do so much damage against you. I wasn't even able to have both air parry and dodge attack unlocked by then. That's when I decided I should just play it on Hard.

You can chop things in half with one slice when it's upgraded which breaks the balance of the game completely. It's more for a fun run after you've already beaten the game.

Maybe because it's over-powered, and makes the fighting too easy. That's what I've heard. Not sure if there's another reason.

It was a cheat pre-order weapon, it completely breaks the balance of the game.

Ah ok, I'll avoid it until I beat the game on Revengence.

Not sure whether I want to keep using the Sai or not as I really like the Polearm, suppose you can(and are supposed to?) switch back and forth depending on the situation. Sai is really nice for the Wolf dogs.

DEAR LORD! The sai's are fucking garbage! Why even bother having them in the game? A 2 hit spacial weapon that has a CHANCE to stun? Get that shit out of here, that shit is useless.
Yup yup yup yup. It was one of my huge gripes with the game (along with the pinzers). And I know it has a tactical use, but its just not that fun to use. At the least you should have half of the moves the bosses use with their own weapons :\.. (come on doing a pinwheel with the le stranger would have been awesome)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Ah ok, I'll avoid it until I beat the game on Revengence.

Not sure whether I want to keep using the Sai or not as I really like the Polearm, suppose you can(and are supposed to?) switch back and forth depending on the situation. Sai is really nice for the Wolf dogs.

The Sai's charge up over time is actually one of the most sneaky tricks you can learn to pull off. It straight up disables the bigger mechs among other stuff, it actually becomes an insanely over powered weapon against monsoon as well, you can negate his purple glow dodge everything phase by stunning him with the sai when charged up.

All of a sudden my Xbox 360 controller isn't being recognised by my windows any more... wtf, every game can't find it... this is frustrating as HELL.

BPoole

Wow, fuck Monsoon. He killed me 5 times before I beat him. I also really don't like the QTE instafails at the end of boss fights

Gah. I was messing with resolutions to see if my framerate was better on other settings and now I can't get out of 1366 x 768 (whatever it is). If I pick either resolution to the right or left the game crashes. I was fine on 1980 x 1020 but now I can't move back to it.

Oh wow, alt tabbing out and back in kills the game too.

Maybe all my Platinum game experience is finally paying off, I've only died once on hard so far and I'm just past Monsoon.

The Sai's charge up over time is actually one of the most sneaky tricks you can learn to pull off. It straight up disables the bigger mechs among other stuff, it actually becomes an insanely over powered weapon against monsoon as well, you can negate his purple glow dodge everything phase by stunning him with the sai when charged up.
Interesting, I'll have to try practicing with that.

zhorkat

It kind of bugs me that the VR missions aren't arranged in the order they would be unlocked in the game. Also kind of weird that I unlocked the sub-weapon tutorial after the segment where I first used them.

Top Bottom