• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

It's a common problem in ms receiver. I have 4 receivers and they all died. It's very easy to fix the problem; pluck the fuse with your nail and you put a drop of tin above. 1 minute job.

https://www.google.es/search?q=microsoft+wireless+receiver+fuse&oq=microsoft+receiver+fuse

Thanks that was what I was using to look at insides but I tested the current of the fuse and it seemed to be pushing a current. I'm going to just blob it with solder tomorrow I'm too frustrated with the whole thing ATM.

I ordered another one from eBay, it's only $10 as well. Just disappointed I can't play more.

ok, so how do I get S-ranks? I managed a few As but no S :(

The No Damage bonus is the big one. I don't think you can get an S without it, although I'm not at the point where I can reliably get them either. Mostly it's just about being quick as possible, going for Zandatsus whenever you can and not taking any damage. I remember a good strategy being to slice off an enemy's legs and arms while Zandatsu-ing, as severed limbs give you a point bonus. Try for one slice to take both legs off, one slice to get both arms (won't always work), and then the slice to get the juicy spine.

God, I cannot get over how amazing Bladewolf's intro cutscene is. That shot of Raiden slicing the container that's falling on him and Bladewolf pouncing through it as it splits apart is just cinematic brilliance. And then the acoustic strains of his theme song fading in as he and Raiden argue philosophy, and the perfectly-timed transition to the metal version that plays throughout the fight and then it's TIME TO LEAVE THEM ALL BEHIIIIIND! I love this game so much.

Carbonox

This thread really makes me want to fire up Revengeance on the PS3 again. Shit I might even make a new PSN account and re-Platinum the game. FUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Yeah, it's such a fun action game. While games like W101 and Bayo are deeper and arguably better, this is just so much fun. Raiden is a blast to control, the audio and visual feedback during fights is fantastic, it has the best boss fights of the year, the cinematics are brilliantly OTT and the rock music kicking in at appropriate times is the icing on the cake.

Got it up and running last night, using a PS4 controller with DS4 to XInput mapping - vibration enabled, absolutely perfect. Shame about the resolution (would have liked 1920x1200) but keeping my fingers crossed for a Durante-esque fix.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Man, I thought I would hate this game because it is a extension of MGS4.

Totally wrong, this just has the right amount of campiness.

If anything, it feels like a direct apology for MGS4.

Ragus

Banned
ibshD5PpwU12NG.jpg

Playing as fucking Grey Fox. Rising got even better.

Gah, I always wuss out on the Mastiff's big overhead smash attack. I see him winding up for what feels like forever, and I know the perfect parry window is right before he hits me, but I just never have the stones for it. It's like we're playing chicken and I always veer off into a ditch :p

BadWolf

Any tips for using the Pinchers well?

The charge attacks have invincibility, or rather armor frames that are so strong that Raiden barely takes any damage while doing them.

Use dodge offset to get to higher levels of charge attacks really quick. Just hit an attack button and immediately dodge (you don't even have to watch the start up animation of the attack swing, just immediately cancel into a dodge) and voila, you are at the next level of charge attack.

The air charge attack is also really good, hits like a truck and can knockdown multiple enemies.

I know everyone is having an assortment of problems with performance of the game, but I think I've gotten mine figured out at least to a point where I can play the game without worrying about it.

I tried turning off my v-sync in my Nvidia panel to see how it would affect the game. According to FRAPS it was running just a hair under 60 FPS yet to me, either due to the frame tearing or something else, I certainly didn't feel like it was running at 60FPS. I went back to the Nvidia panel, turned v-sync back on, and restarted the game. Now FRAPS is saying the game is running at 50 FPS, but to me the game looks like it's running perfectly. I can't claim to be able to tell the difference between 60 and 50 although I know it felt like how it ran on PS3. I can spin the camera all around and it looks smooth as butter.

So I don't know. PC gaming, man. I'm happy with how it's running now even if FRAPS is...throwing me off.

Knurek

By the way, I hope this "publishing PC port 1 year (or months at least) later)" doesn't become a trend for the sake of the PC fanbase. Letting the hype build with word of mouth and releasing laters sounds like a good economical decision, though.

Better a late port than no port at all.

Blinck

So are the other suits you can buy the same or will they actually give you different stats?

From the descriptions they seem a bit different and better for certain situations.
But something like the original cyborg suit or whatever it's called - in the description it says that it is basically old and outdated, does this mean it sucks? If so is there any reason I should buy it besides liking the look ?

Corpekata

Banned
That's just flavor text. The only suits that are really different are the ones like commando and inferno. They were preorder bonuses and let you carry more of the sub item types.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Fun game, but played an almost an hour and only had control for like 20 minutes, hoping the whole game isn't this bad.

2San

Finished chapter 1 yesterday. It's really addicting. I just hate that the game has blade mode, it seriously kills the flow and messes with my rhythm. You can't say don't use it, because it's an important mechanic to regain health and gain bonus points.

That said I like the more offensive nature of this game compared to Bayonetta. The game definitely favors attacking rather than spamming the dodge button all the time. Some enemies are a lot easier to kill when you are on full offensive rather than playing safe.

It's also weird that you need to unlock the evade skill, it is cheap though so it didn't bother me too much, but I can see some people getting frustrated if they think that parrying is the only way too defend yourself. I have no idea why devs keep hiding away important basic skills that are essential to the combat.

Fun game, but played an almost an hour and only had control for like 20 minutes, hoping the whole game isn't this bad.

Did you finish mission R-01? The first real level is pretty long. I mean, it is a Metal Gear game, but it's got far less talking than most of them. Once you have had fun with the story it's super easy to skip to the action.

Finished chapter 1 yesterday. It's really addicting. I just hate that the game has blade mode, it seriously kills the flow and messes with my rhythm. You can't say don't use it, because it's an important mechanic to regain health and gain bonus points.

Maybe you're already doing this but a mistake I noticed a lot of friends making is using the analog stick in blade mode when you can quickly and accurately slash with the square /X (horizontal) and triangle / Y (vertical) buttons. The precise cutting with the analog stick should be reserved for boss battles and cutting off arms or fucking around.

In other words don't use the stick to cut, use it to aim your horizontal and vertical slashes.

Gothos

Should I even attamept to play this with mouse and keyboard? How is that control scheme working? Or gamepad is absolutely necessary?

So are the other suits you can buy the same or will they actually give you different stats?

From the descriptions they seem a bit different and better for certain situations.
But something like the original cyborg suit or whatever it's called - in the description it says that it is basically old and outdated, does this mean it sucks? If so is there any reason I should buy it besides liking the look ?
I believe the colored suits give you stuff like more item capacity.

Uraizen

Banned
The charge attacks have invincibility, or rather armor frames that are so strong that Raiden barely takes any damage while doing them.

Use dodge offset to get to higher levels of charge attacks really quick. Just hit an attack button and immediately dodge (you don't even have to watch the start up animation of the attack swing, just immediately cancel into a dodge) and voila, you are at the next level of charge attack.

The air charge attack is also really good, hits like a truck and can knockdown multiple enemies.

Safer charge with dodge offset? Very interesting. Why didn't I think of that?

2San

Maybe you're already doing this but a mistake I noticed a lot of friends making is using the analog stick in blade mode when you can quickly and accurately slash with the square /X (horizontal) and triangle / Y (vertical) buttons. The precise cutting with the analog stick should be reserved for boss battles and cutting off arms or fucking around.

In other words don't use the stick to cut, use it to aim your horizontal and vertical slashes.
I'm doing it, but it still kills the flow. Freezing the action for even a second breaks the flow in games like these. It has no place in a pure action game.

Jintor

The more I play the more reminded I am of how excruciating the camera issues are, especially in a game where you can't cancel into movement, only into vulnerability, and all parries are directionally proportional to where your character is and where they're facing + where the camera is facing. Indoor fights are just this fucking chaotic mishmash of the camera wildly swining around, upside down, suddenly doing a complete 180, then shoving itself into Raiden's bionic behind. At one point it got stuck behind a air conditioning unit or something on a rooftop and I had to basically fight these guys by sound and by light reactions.

I'm doing it, but it still kills the flow. Freezing the action for even a second breaks the flow in games like these. It has no place in a pure action game.

I disagree entirely, it punctuates the action imho

nOoblet16

Uh, Bayonetta had witch time, Vanquish had AR...the entire gameplay in these games revolved around slow motion movements. And between these three the motion in MGR is the weakest as the Blade mode doesn't really slows down the movement all that much unless the enemy has been weakened and ready to be killed. It compliment the extremely quick combat otherwise it'd get quite monotonous and result in unnecessary tension.

I think it's fine and it doesn't hurts the pace at all, parry > action slows down > quick tap of LT+X and it's done. All of this barely even takes a second, so I disagree when you say it breaks the pace of action because if this does then something like blocking would break the pace too.

Mechazawa

The more you play, the more you're going to be comfortable with the ebb and flow of when to properly use Blade mode, the more natural it's going to feel. You're going to be popping in and out of it so quickly that it's going to feel second nature to you.

And those brief respites from all the Mastiffs trying to drop kick the shit out of you are going to feel amazing, even if only for a couple of seconds.

The more you play, the more you're going to be comfortable with the ebb and flow of when to properly use Blade mode, the more natural it's going to feel. You're going to be popping in and out of it so quickly that it's going to feel second nature to you.

And those brief respites from all the Mastiffs trying to drop kick the shit out of you are going to feel amazing, even if only for a couple of seconds.

fucking mastiffs :mad:

2San

I disagree entirely, it punctuates the action imho
How? Compare this to like Bayonetta and DMC3 where you can string combo's together. Or something like Ninja Gaiden 2 where you can dismember someone go on the next one and while still bathing in the blood of the previous victim. I think flow is essential to games like these. Flow should break, because you made a mistake not because you want finish someone off quickly.
I like blade mode and blade run. Felt like something new for the genre.
Blade run is awesome I agree with that since it helps with the action.
Uh, Bayonetta had witch time, Vanquish had AR...the entire gameplay in these games revolved around slow motion movements. And between these three the motion in MGR is the weakest as the Blade mode doesn't really slows down the movement all that much unless the enemy has been weakened and ready to be killed. It compliment the extremely quick combat otherwise it'd get quite monotonous and result in unnecessary tension.

I think it's fine and it doesn't hurts the pace at all, parry > action slows down > quick tap of LT+X and it's done. All of this barely even takes a second, so I disagree when you say it breaks the pace of action because if this does then something like blocking would break the pace too.
Err with Bayonetta you still continue with your combo in witch time and you can ignore witch time. Not sure why are you mentioning a shooter in this discussion.

It does break the action, first you are doing combo's and then you are suddenly in a completely different view with a different way of attacking that's different from the rest of the game. It's like putting ADS in Quake.

No blocking is still part of the flow of an action game, since you can attack -> block -> attack, in a fluid action. Blade mode resets you and make you watch cutscene.

I hope so, as it stand it feels really out of place.

Gbraga

Bought four copies of this game, three of them being the PC version. Take notice SEGA, I'll buy at least just as much for Bayo, Vanquish or Catherine. And I mean it with at least, since I like all of those games more than I like Rising.

Just please don't make me download 21GBs of cutscenes that I'll skip anyway.

having the 1080p 24 hz bug

Will play windowed in the meantime

Looks better than the console counterpart, bought this for a friend to support PG and PC ports, playing through Family Sharing, and I will buy it too when I have the monies

Shitty Facebook Screenshot in the meantime
1602199_10153715125705472_324229815_o.jpg

Bought four copies of this game, three of them being the PC version. Take notice SEGA, I'll buy at least just as much for Bayo, Vanquish or Catherine. And I mean it with at least, since I like all of those games more than I like Rising.

Just please don't make me download 21GBs of cutscenes that I'll skip anyway.

If PG does Rising 2 I'd be willing to be most cutscenes would be in engine like their other stuff. In this case I'm glad we got the high quality version. Maybe an option to do a minimal install with smaller video files would be a good idea. I can tell you I would have felt screwed over if the game had obviously shitty video encoding.

Gbraga

If PG does Rising 2 I'd be willing to be most cutscenes would be in engine like their other stuff. In this case I'm glad we got the high quality version. Maybe an option to do a minimal install with smaller video files would be a good idea. I can tell you I would have felt screwed over if the game had obviously shitty video encoding.

Oh yeah, definitely. If we're getting prerendered cutscenes, I'm glad we're getting the higher quality version (even though they don't really look that good to justify imo).

I just wish there was a -skipmovies or something so the game would ignore every single movie and I could just delete those 21GBs.

Jintor

How? Compare this to like Bayonetta and DMC3 where you can string combo's together. Or something like Ninja Gaiden 2 where you can dismember someone go on the next one and while still bathing in the blood of the previous victim. I think flow is essential to games like these. Flow should break, because you made a mistake not because you want finish someone off quickly.

Because if you're doing blade mode efficiently it's a continuance of flow. The pause is light enough that (if the camera is deciding to be friendly) you can move straight into something else. Blade mode can be used tactically (to lop off limbs) or as a finisher/regen (to grab electrolyte) and it's just another step in a battle.

Trust me, I love flow as well, and if you get used to using it right zandatsu doesn't break it. The thing that fucking breaks flow is the 'spin left stick to break dizzy' mechanic which belongs in the deepest fucking flames of hell.

2San

Because if you're doing blade mode efficiently it's a continuance of flow. The pause is light enough that (if the camera is deciding to be friendly) you can move straight into something else. Blade mode can be used tactically (to lop off limbs) or as a finisher/regen (to grab electrolyte) and it's just another step in a battle.
Let's just agree that we disagree, since I do like the game (since it favors aggressive combat).
Trust me, I love flow as well, and if you get used to using it right zandatsu doesn't break it. The thing that fucking breaks flow is the 'spin left stick to break dizzy' mechanic which belongs in the deepest fucking flames of hell.
I didn't have a problem with that since, I can dodge it if I see it coming. :p It is annoying when someone jumps on you off screen though. :x

Top Bottom