• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Reinstall those drivers
Have the receiver reacquire the controller

Done it all.

The light in the receiver isn't lighting up... seems a fuse in the receiver has gone kaput.

What terrible timing.

I'm going to have to try hooking up a PS3 controller - anyone got any simple instructions for that?

Hypron

Started playing this, I'm 3 hours in (half way through chapter 3). I'm a bit rusty (getting quite a few A's a B's), but it's still as enjoyable as ever. The game ain't that well optimised, even with everything on low it won't run at a locked 60 fps on my RIG (which isn't that recent but still, it's a console game), but it runs at least as well as on consoles, and 1080p goes a long way in making the game look clean. I also have to play the game on my displayport screen, if I try to play the other one that's connected in HDMI I get black bars. Both screens are the same size and of fairly equivalent quality so I don't really mind.

The cutscenes are such a huge step-up over the xbox version it's not even funny. After my first playthrough on consoles I skipped them all the time but I'm having fun watching them again in better quality.

I'm going for the title I couldn't get on xbox without resetting my save, the one that requires you to not buy/collect any health/energy upgrades. I'm also going for the one where you need to finish the game without using nano-pastes. That should make things a bit more challenging even if hard mode is pretty easy. I got killed by the GRAD at the end of chapter 2 even though he only had 15% health left haha.

What's everyone's opinion on hard difficulty? I thought normal was fairly challenging so I'm not sure if I'm cut out to try hard difficulty. Wondering if it's somewhat fair or bullshit.

Grief.exe

Done it all.

The light in the receiver isn't lighting up... seems a fuse in the receiver has gone kaput.

What terrible timing.

I'm going to have to try hooking up a PS3 controller - anyone got any simple instructions for that?

You probably have one of those shitty 3rd party ones, the Microsoft manufactured models are actually pretty solid. Almost impossible to get a hold of at this point though.

Xinput wrapper for PS3 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=59385385&postcount=102

What's everyone's opinion on hard difficulty? I thought normal was fairly challenging so I'm not sure if I'm cut out to try hard difficulty. Wondering if it's somewhat fair or bullshit.

I started out on Hard for my first ever play through and its working out perfectly. Combat is very satisfying since there is an actual learning curve for me.

Done it all.

What terrible timing.

Do you have motionjoy or any software theat emulates Xinput installed? If you do, try to uninstall those programs. This happened to me before with the receiver.

Hypron

None of the difficulty modes are unfair. The only one that might frustrate you is Revengeance since lots of enemies have 1 hit kill attacks (so if you're using nano-pastes that means you can take up to 6 of those before dying for real). Hard is really simple once you've upgraded your blade and very-hard is all right.

I changed my resolution to try to see if I could get it to run faster and now I can't change any video settings without the game crashing. Even alt tabbing in and out of the game kills it.

Any suggestions? I don't suppose there's a way I can clear my settings without losing my game save. I really hope I don't have to reinstall.

edit: I'm going to try restarting. I think my nvidia shit updated.

edit 2: Nope. I still can't change anything video wise without the game crashing.

Hard is pretty fair. Enemy placements are more or less the same, and it's mostly a case of enemies hitting harder and being tougher.

In the difficulty above Hard, however, things start to change a lot. You're facing tough enemies a lot sooner, and you're more likely to die to a few hits if you're not careful. They expect you to tackle it with most of the upgrades from the other playthroughs. This makes the first chapter relatively difficult as a result, since you're stuck with the default health.

What the hell is up with this game?? I start it up and my whole screen is white with only the text visible in the main menu. It fixes itself when I tab out and back in but as i'm playing the game this brightness goes up for some weird reason and then when I take control of Raiden the whole screen is white.

Also anyone got sweetfx working?

Spaghetti

i'm pretty sure this port is already profitable (pre-order discount or not), considering it's been going toe-to-toe with sales behemoths like day-z and rust since the steam sale ended

future is pretty bright with platinum/konami/metal gear on pc

now, we wait for bugfixes

on the bright side, the game will sell on the strength of the metal gear title alone regardless of current problems. if say, vanquish or bayonetta had came out with the problems rising does, it could have tanked the sales of either of those games.

thankfully, platinum will definitely learn from this experience and have a better idea what to do with future pc ports

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Ona scale of one to ten (one being brain dead, ten being sweating bullets every encounter) i would have to rank the difficulties of this game as such:

Easy 1
Normal 3
Hard 5
Very Hard 8
Revengeance 9

Hard is this games true normal mode and the difficulty spikes when you jump to very hard. I honestly think very hard is the best difficulty to play on for a high intensity challenge.

Dahbomb

Ona scale of one to ten (one being brain dead, ten being sweating bullets every encounter) i would have to rank the difficulties of this game as such:

Easy 1
Normal 3
Hard 5
Very Hard 8
Revengeance 9

Hard is this games true normal mode and the difficulty spikes when you jump to very hard. I honestly think very hard is the best difficulty to play on for a high intensity challenge.
I would actually rate it as:

Easy 2
Normal 4
Hard 6
Very Hard 9
Revengeance 8

Normal is generally easier than what this genre is used to, still challenging enough for the average gamer these days. Hard is definitely tough for the average gamer. Very Hard is the game's hardest difficulty and it separates itself from Revengeance because Revengeance is more similar to something like Heaven or Hell in a DMC game... you take absurd amount of damage but even bosses die in like 3 successful parries.

Really though this game comes all down to parry. If you are good at parries then you will run through the game with relative ease. If you have a difficult time parrying then you will have a difficult time parrying. Learning enemies is all about learning their parry timing for their various moves which admittedly takes time to learn.

I started today and I just beat Sundowner on Hard. Almost done with the game but will finish it tomorrow.

3dmodeler

So I'm new to the game and everyone is recommending the hard difficulty but jesus christ I struggled so hard on the bladewolf battle. The parrying execution is giving me so much trouble. I understand that you have to move the stick toward the enemy and press x right before they strike but sometimes it's perfect and sometimes it is just way off I don't understand. The results are so random. I've played Bayonetta and am able to activate witch time which is almost the same concept except that it's away from enemy but it seems the timing in this game is so unforgiving. Anybody got any real tips on how to successfully parry every time?

You probably have one of those shitty 3rd party ones, the Microsoft manufactured models are actually pretty solid. Almost impossible to get a hold of at this point though.

It's definitely an official Microsoft one I purchased it at EB games to be certain I once had a shitty one sold to me through ebay in the past. I opened it up, it's not the fuse. GAH! WTF.

Sober

I literally fumbled my way through DMC4 (on kb/m too) but Hard seems pretty fair, even if that is my only experience with these type of games (well Darksiders 2 but...). Bosses I seem to do okay (just finished Mistral first try on Hard) but some of the big fights like UGs I had to maybe restart a few times while some other fights (like the 3 robots chasing the kid in the sewers) basically require you to learn new enemy types.

I'm guessing once you figure them out it'll be okay. I used to wipe hard to geckos but now I only maybe fuck it up once on occasion. Still learning a lot of things here like needing to dodge more and parry timing for the attack/zinsatsu. Also just internalizing movelists, even though for the most part they are same-ish amongst a lot of games like this I would guess (mixing light and heavy attacks).

Dahbomb

So I'm new to the game and everyone is recommending the hard difficulty but jesus christ I struggled so hard on the bladewolf battle. The parrying execution is giving me so much trouble. I understand that you have to move the stick toward the enemy and press x right before they strike but sometimes it's perfect and sometimes it is just way off I don't understand. The results are so random. I've played Bayonetta and am able to activate witch time which is almost the same concept except that it's away from enemy but it seems the timing in this game is so unforgiving. Anybody got any real tips on how to successfully parry every time?
You just gotta be good man. The timing is a bit later than you think it is but starting out it's better to do it a bit early because you will at least get a block.

Unless you are struggling with just blocking in that case I would tell you to press both buttons simultaneous and not just hold your stick in a direction and then tap attack.
Another way to guarantee blocks during attacks is to just keep attacking as normal and when you want to block flick the stick for the parry.

MaLDo

Done it all.

What terrible timing.

It's a common problem in ms receiver. I have 4 receivers and they all died. It's very easy to fix the problem; pluck the fuse with your nail and you put a drop of tin above. 1 minute job.

https://www.google.es/search?q=microsoft+wireless+receiver+fuse&oq=microsoft+receiver+fuse

Darksim

So, I've been trying to mod in the unremixed boss music that was in the console demo. The ps3 demo and the pc version use the same formats and are even organized in the same way (with hundreds of matching audio files), the only difference being that the pc version has it all packed in a .cpk, and even though I was able to rather easily extract and replace the pc files with their demo equivalents, I can't figure out anyway to repack all of it into a .cpk, the programs that would do so just don't want to work for whatever reason.

I also had a wonderful experience in my first 10 minutes of the game today http://www.twitch.tv/darksim/c/3523833

So is anyone working on a playable Armstrong mod yet
nanomachinesson.png

Edit: Also, 21.3 GBs of video files. Totally worth it.

This game does not like me messing with it's video options. I thought it was a little ambitious letting me change things on the fly. I get to a point where settings get stuck and I have to delete the save data from my documents > MGR and the reverify the game files in Steam.

I noticed something minor with the graphics, but it may affect other lighting effects in the game. If you put shadow detail on high the sun, lense flare and rainbow it makes do not show up on the first stage. Meaning you won't be seeing this:

JoeFenix

Just finished a new game Very Hard run, I don't think I ever did that on the PS3 version but it was a really solid challenge.

No issues with the port at all other than the fact that I got disconnected when my internet went down for a few minutes. Seems like P* is working on it though so that's good!

That game seems like it was made for PC with the online matches so it's a shame it was never on it.

The lack of join in progress and a room/server browser would cause the same exact situation on PC, don't fool yourself. And it would NEVER be a looker, just like this or Vanquish and people would call it "fugly". "horrible looking", etc

People had the chance to support AR and Vanquish on console and they failed. I own both and preordered AR so trust me, I don't like the situation, but a PC port would be pointless. Would still do marginally better than if they had released it for PC at launch though, with the PC fanbase as hungry as it is console exclusives nowadays :eek:

Just finished a new game Very Hard run, I don't think I ever did that on the PS3 version but it was a really solid challenge.

No issues with the port at all other than the fact that I got disconnected when my internet went down for a few minutes. Seems like P* is working on it though so that's good!

Game has an always on drm? Or was it a multiplayer mode?

DSix

Banned
I'm loving it all over again. Except of course for that damn camera that's as broken as it ever was. I'm gonna hate revengeance cheap dead-angle deaths all over again.

I'm glad I hold-off on the DLCs on console, and that boss menu is a great addition. I'm just a bit bummed that LQ-84i is not in the boss selection, as he's pretty fun to replay too.

Great game, the best by Platinum so far. It's a very good thing that it got released on PC both for platinum, for future metal gear games on steam, and for japanese action games.

PS: is it me or the konami code DOESN'T unlock revengeance mode?

Mechazawa

Man, what happened to my reflexes. I knocked Sundowner's ass out in either the first or second try on the 360, whereas this run took me a whole bunch of retries.

I also had a bitch of a time with Sam, but I also tried to fight him "fair" without the Sai.

Hypron

The lack of join in progress and a room/server browser would cause the same exact situation on PC, don't fool yourself. And it would NEVER be a looker, just like this or Vanquish and people would call it "fugly". "horrible looking", etc

People had the chance to support AR and Vanquish on console and they failed. I own both and preordered AR so trust me, I don't like the situation, but a PC port would be pointless. Would still do marginally better than if they had released it for PC at launch though, with the PC fanbase as hungry as it is console exclusives nowadays :eek:

What? Vanquish looks pretty great apart from running at a sub-hd resolution (which would be fixed by a pc version). I

DEAR LORD! The sai's are fucking garbage! Why even bother having them in the game? A 2 hit spacial weapon that has a CHANCE to stun? Get that shit out of here, that shit is useless.

uwotm8?

They're pretty useful because of the stun.It will stun if you let it charge. It's pretty useful on GRADs. It's also one of the quickest ways to beat
Sundowner
with the Sai loop.

Does the camera magically get worse in Very Hard mode and beyond? E.g. does it totally screw up on the Ray fight where it keeps going for the head when you are locked onto the legs? Hated this. Was fine on console in Normal mode. Soon as I got to V.Hard and beyond it started acting up in that fight.

Squire

Banned
So, I decided to suck it up and deal with the display issues. I had already planned to spend my weekend playing this game and I'm eager to play my friend ScraftyDevil's GOTY for 2013.

The game is fucking awesome.

I'm up to mission 02 and I've loved every second so far. Parrying is super satisfying and the combat feels fantastic, the music gets your blood pumping, and the story/characters are a ton of fun. It's just so exhilarating. (What PG/Clover have always excelled at.)

As I've said the only problem is the display. The performance is magnificent. I have everything set to high and the game only slows down when I overdo it in Blade Mode ~_^

So yeah, I'm still holding out for a patch, but I'm playing the game and I wish I had much earlier because it's just really excellent so far.

Also:
Mistral = breathtaking

ZeroX03

Banned
Joke's on you, you have an Nvidia Shield. :p

I literally just got home to find this baby waiting for me at the front door. First thing I did was test MGR. It's not optimized well so there is noticeable lag. Tried DmC, Batman etc, fucking flawless. Amazing device. AND THE EMULATORS!!11!!

What? Vanquish looks pretty great apart from running at a sub-hd resolution (which would be fixed by a pc version). I

Yeah, well... This higher resolution promo shot disagrees I'm afraid.

For the record, I like every single PG game, including AR.

By the way, I hope this "publishing PC port 1 year (or months at least) later)" doesn't become a trend for the sake of the PC fanbase. Letting the hype build with word of mouth and releasing laters sounds like a good economical decision, though.

Hypron

DEAR LORD! The sai's are fucking garbage! Why even bother having them in the game? A 2 hit spacial weapon that has a CHANCE to stun? Get that shit out of here, that shit is useless.

You need to wait for it to glow purple before using it to stun someone. It's REALLY useful for some encounters, you don't know what you're talking about.

Yeah, well... This higher resolution promo shot disagrees I'm afraid.

For the record, I like every single PG game, including AR.

By the way, I hope this "publishing PC port 1 year (or months at least) later)" doesn't become a trend for the sake of the PC fanbase. Letting the hype build with word of mouth and releasing laters sounds like a good economical decision, though.

That's not a higher resolution shot. The game has got a few things that look a bit rough but overall in motion it looks really nice in my opinion. The motion blur and the amount of shit happening on screen looks good. It looks better than any other Platinum game for starters.

Darksim

Vanquish running at 1080p60 would be... incredible, honestly. The game has so much stuff packed into it's 1024x720 resolution that it just looks like a bunch of pixels half the time. It not having a pc port is a true shame.

MGR pc only really looks marginally better than on console. If I turn down some of the settings I can maintain 60 fps during the points at which the console versions slow down, but that's still not even close to how much Vanquish would improve.

Olliewilldie

Neo Member
I own this already on the PS3 but would love to double dip, my PC isn't the greatest and as there is no demo that I know of I shall ask you lovely people!

I have a AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 Black & HD 6850 Cyclone Power Edition 1024MB graphics card and 8gb ram.

Is it going to run at a solid 60? The solid 60 is the important part for me! Tomb Raider ran fine but it fluctuated between 35-55 which drove me mad.

Please delete if this isn't appropriate here.

JoeFenix

Game has an always on drm? Or was it a multiplayer mode?

It seems like it but apparently it's unintended. I would be pretty angry if it wasn't being worked on right now, the game just literally booted me back to desktop the second I lost my internet connection.

There is no multiplayer mode.

ViviOggi

Is there a list of fixes for the 24fps HDMI issue? Can't get this to run properly on my Samsung TV no matter what, only thing that worked is Windowed Borderless Gaming, but somehow that cuts off parts of the picture in MGR.

vazel

Banned
Is there a list of fixes for the 24fps HDMI issue? Can't get this to run properly on my Samsung TV no matter what, only thing that worked is Windowed Borderless Gaming, but somehow that cuts off parts of the picture in MGR.
AMD GPUs still have this bug? I used to get that on my 4850 back in 2009. There was a workaround for it but I forgot what it was. Try googling. I think you have to set your own custom resolutions at 60Hz or something like that.

AppleMIX

Man, I thought I would hate this game because it is a extension of MGS4.

Totally wrong, this just has the right amount of campiness.

ViviOggi

AMD GPUs still have this bug? I used to get that on my 4850 back in 2009. There was a workaround for it but I forgot what it was. Try googling. I think you have to set your own custom resolutions at 60Hz or something like that.

I'm using a 560 Ti though, it's most certainly the game.

I've already tried several of the fixes suggested here but I can't find the one with the custom resolution anymore.

Wow I haven't had this much fun with a game in a long time. I hope the story gets way more over the top as it goes on but seeing how it's still a metal gear game, I don't have any doubt it will. My one complaint so far is the absolutely terrible camera. You'd think with the parry system they have they would pull the camera back a bit more during combat. Can't wait to play more! Game is running great on my 560ti but it has that weird 50fps issue in full screen. Don't care enough to fix it because I don't really notice.

Top Bottom