• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

Calcaneus said:
I really hate this new trend of the gaming media drooling over a game then forgetting about it in a month. It really looks like MGS4 will share the same fate. No matter how great the game may be, everyone has become so ADD about games.

There is no way this game will ever be forgotten. But yeah, gaming press is fickle. What's new?

Chromax

Just wondering, is the Substance/Subsistence edition thing usually the 1 with Japanese VA? I was hoping this 1 would have it, after playing through it in English once I kind of want to hear Kikuko Inoue and Yumi Kikuchi.

Teknoman

schlew said:
It's a pretty tame spoiler (as it occurs before the game play even begins) but what's the easiest way to
view the live action commercials?

I've only seen the two (maybe three) that play before you begin the game proper.

I noticed that if I don't press start at the title screen, eventually they'll play, but it's a long wait.

Thats about the only way I know how, unless they show up again along with the TV shows when it comes time to mini install before the next act.

MickeyKnox said:
"kill" him once, then after that all you need to do is land one head shot on him and he will go down then heal back up. After you head shot him run to where he's laying on the ground stand behind him, only have your needle equipped in your item window and nothing in your weapon hand, when he stands up, press and hold R1 then hit triangle.

finally did it

I've been playing the past 3 hours - breaking for dinner. All I can say is that, so far, this is the best game I've played this generation. The presentation, the graphics, the audio (superb!), the whole thing is just awesome.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Narag said:
If you can add a shotgun to something, you should as it is doing the Lord's work.
I was lucky enough to find one during Act 2. Also found a grenade launcher.

I have over 100,000 points and no clue what to do with them. I'm just afraid the game might punish you for not buying certain weapons.

Xtyle

jet1911 said:
Just finished the first Act. The game is reaaaaaaaaally good. I'm not impressed by the graphics though.

I felt the same until I goto later part of act 2 and by act 3 my mouth was this O, the whole time...still in act 3

jet1911 said:
Just finished the first Act. The game is reaaaaaaaaally good. I'm not impressed by the graphics though.

The barren landscape of the Middle East isn't exactly an eye-popper by default. The graphics get better as the environments get more interesting. Is it the best looking game ever? Not really, but considering the amount of content and detail on display, I'm exceedingly impressed and satisfied with the visuals.

edit: the response is tame because we're all playing it and we all simply agree, it doesn't deserve anything below a 10. It's just that simple.

andycapps

BlazingDarkness said:
yeah, the response here was pretty tame

i am disappointed :lol

It's not like it's shocking. From playing the game, a 10/10 is what I would expect. You're going to see more reactions if a score is perceived as being too low. :lol

Xtyle

shit
I played a couple hours last night..I was like, ok...the models are awesome...textures and environment look like a souped up mgs3 quality...but good...and then I started act 2...it got better and better...act 3 tells me next gen starts from MGS4. Period.

even if the game ended at act 3, I would still give it no less than 9.5 (yes I am insane).
but if the game keeps going like this..this will be a 10 game from me.

and fuck the haters of mgs4 long cutscenes...everyone of them so far are top quality and I enjoyed every single one of them.

Teknoman

xS1TH L0RDx said:
wat?!?!?!

Yeah its in the options menu at the press start screen. Plug in your USB or turn on your bluetooth headset, then turn in game messages on external device. Also make sure you set up everything in MGO as well.

Seems like you have to go directly into the game after setting the headset options though, or else it resets itself. Like the little mini info transmissions Otacon gives you during the game.

Oh and yay, I found my USB headset :D Guess it'll make due until the official playstation Bluetooth headset releases with SOCOM.

Also I gotta say the graphic design (maybe not the detail itself) really impressed me in the first part of act 1. Will continue after the game (still in act 1). It just really looks like an area thats been under heavy fire.

Matrix said:
If mine doesn't show up tomorrow or if my shipping isn't refunded..... I would hate to be a CS rep on the phone with me :D

lol If that happens you and I both know what needs to be done. We gear up with some tranq. guns and MKII robots and head to Gamestop lol:lol

If you hear back from EB before I do let me know what they say.

Matrix said:
AmericanNinja,I called ebgames.com CS about MGS4 not being delivered today and was told they had some issues with getting some copies to UPS in time or something like that,what I figured had happened.Guy knew before hand what I was calling about so they must be getting a ton of calls.He said I would have it by tomorrow and refunded my shipping.

I was sick of waiting around for an email reply.

I just saw your post. Ignore my last reply lol

Thats cool I just sent a e-mail to GS. So it looks like we will be playing MGS4 tomorrow and $9.99 richer lol:D

rod

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:
i anticipate the gamespot meltdown :lol

in retrospect i still cant believe that score for mgs3. the review text makes it seem like at least a 9 if not a 9.5.

Oneself

Sol.. said:
Is anybody else for some reason floored by the transition from cut scene to game.

Yeah, I can't get enough of this, it's so awesome, and for some unknown reason, it's fucking impressive. It's like Kojima telling everyone "it's real time bitches" just because.

carlos

So after starting up and playing for about 2 hours straight, a three second power outage shuts off my tv, ps3, everything....then it hits me
OH...FUCK....

I didn't save once since the save prompt after the intro! lol there go my drebin points and everything...

Yet, I feel no anger at the prospect of having to play through it again b :)

MGS$: the game's so good you'll forgo saving in order to keep playing!
Don't let it happen to you, my brothers!
I'll move to MGO for a while to see if I find some noobs ;)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
MickeyKnox said:
One thing I'd like to find out is what was that specific fight that all the journos that went out to Japan to play early found way unbalanced.

I'm assuming it was changed since nothing was ever annoying or felt cheap.

it was not a fight but rather the
european mission
. They fixed it.

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
God dammit, I have to wait 4 and a half hours to continue playing this game. In my classes I have been zoning out constantly thinking of MGS4.

must...not...read...spoilers

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Question, I missed out on
Otacon/Raiden octomask. you need to shock Sunny/Otacon/Naomi with MKII to get it

I just finished CH2, do i still get a chance to do this?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I finished Act 1 and the Mission Briefing in act 2, I took MKII and was nosing around and
when you go up the stairs to check on Sunny, you catch her playing a retro videogame on her PSP :p

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
oh this is awesome. You can take photos with the digital camera using a controller connected to port 2 rather then the one on port 1. Basically you can have a friend or whatever taking pics as you play. Pics can be exported to the XMB Photo folder by the way.

Agemo_GB

Neo Member
This game is awesome!

Seriously though I was so glad to get to meet Kojima himself and get my coppy signed and I still haven't slept that is how much MGS4/MGO I have been playing!

Costanza

Banned
need to know asap:

I want to be in bed by 2 so I don't fuck up my schedule. If I start act 5 now (I've already seen the briefing and first 15 minute cutscene), will I be able to finish it by then?

KZObsessed

TTP said:
oh this is awesome. You can take photos with the digital camera using a controller connected to port 2 rather then the one on port 1. Basically you can have a friend or whatever taking pics as you play. Pics can be exported to the XMB Photo folder by the way.

:O Where do you get the camera?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
FFObsessed said:
:O Where do you get the camera?

In the Nomad. It's behind the table to the north on the main floor. The one with a Mac case under it.

Ah, in case u didn't notice, you can rise and lower the MK.II "head" using the D-Pad.

KZObsessed

Xenon said:
Do you need dualshock to enjoy this? Anyone playing without?

I'm playing with Sixaxis because the stupid postman refused to deliver my DS3.

I couldn't care less tho, the game is just so awesome I havn't even thought about rumble, you just reminded me of it actually :p

TTP said:
In the Nomad. It's behind the table to the north on the main floor. The one with a Mac case under it.

ahh. So many little things I've missed here and there. 2nd playthrough is going to be awesome. :D

Ah, in case u didn't notice, you can rise and lower the MK.II "head" using the D-Pad.

ha! I didn't realise that actually, thanx.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I have never seen so many people on my friends list online at the same time and just about all playing the same game :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Oh, another thing.
You can save the rebel tank in the Middle East section if you manage to protect it. Hint: Stay close to the tank and look up. Don't bother with the fight. Just watch out for some bastards up there somewhere ;)

Okay well I didn't get an answer so I might as well ask again.

Is there any way to do a full run and fire a gun at the same time? I really hope so because it used to be so much fun to run with the M60 mowing people down.

No_Style

Still in Act 1, but my goodness is this game every detailed! :D

Xenon said:
Do you need dualshock to enjoy this? Anyone playing without?

You don't need, but I highly recommend it. MGS4 has one of the best implementations of rumble ever. It's subtle and incredibly accurate as well.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
BudokaiMR2 said:
Okay well I didn't get an answer so I might as well ask again.

Is there any way to do a full run and fire a gun at the same time? I really hope so because it used to be so much fun to run with the M60 mowing people down.

Activate auto aim and go ahead holding L1?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
So you can basically export photos to the PC, right?

Anyone going to start a MGS4 photo mode thread?

Costanza

Banned
Costanza said:
need to know asap:

I want to be in bed by 2 so I don't fuck up my schedule. If I start act 5 now (I've already seen the briefing and first 15 minute cutscene), will I be able to finish it by then?
anyone? I really want to finish it in one sitting :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom