• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey. It's the thought that counts.

Trophies would do this game a world of wonders. That may sound ridiculous to some, but I would seriously revisit it and milk it for all its worth if it had trophies.

brandonh83 said:

Trophies would do this game a world of wonders. That may sound ridiculous to some, but I would seriously revisit it and milk it for all its worth if it had trophies.
Pretty much. And it's Kojima, so I want precisely zero trophies that are earned simply by completing the game; every trophy ought to be for pulling off something impressive and/or ridiculous.

brandonh83 said:

It's not ridiculous, MGS has always had crazy gameplay elements and easter eggs that most players never get to see. Using trophies to point gamers towards those elements and reward them can definitely add to the replayability of a game. Of course, only if they're creative and/or challenging.

A patch for MGS Online is interesting. I wonder if I could start playing it now, or if the community will be so far ahead, in terms of skill, that I'd just be ruining their fun by trying to get into it.

jayb

I'll just assume this new patch is to get things tidied up before they release a MGS4 Substance version with trophies. BELIEVE.

YES FINALLY A PATCH FOR something else while I wait for TROPHIES

How ridiculous it is that I love MGS4 and I haven't even tried MGO? Very.

edit: I haven't not because I didn't want to but because I couldn't get it work :|

jayb said:
I'll just assume this new patch is to get things tidied up before they release a MGS4 Substance version with trophies. BELIEVE.
I think it's too late for that now and the only way I might accept it now is if it has;
A more stable framerate
More weapons and customisation
True ending - the way everyone knows it was meant to end damnit
Trophies of course
Plus an extra option to play certain chapters with human enemies

FunkyPajamas said:
They should just release MGO as a standalone on PSN without the Konami ID stuff.

I have MGO standalone game too and wanted to play it a couple of days ago. The update procedure takes about 8 hours first and then im supposed to remember all my Konami ID's and Game ID's :p

NeoUltima

Noisepurge said:
I have MGO standalone game too and wanted to play it a couple of days ago. The update procedure takes about 8 hours first and then im supposed to remember all my Konami ID's and Game ID's :p
Yep...I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I love MGO as a game. But the shit surrounding the game is horrible.

YoungHav

Banned
It is very unfortunate and inconsiderate that KojiPro never patched this game for trophies. I mean, wtf... didn't trophies start within 2 months of this game's release? No one gives a fuck about MGS Solid Rising or Metal Gear Online, give me my fucking trophies gotdamn it.

Solid_Rain said:
More weapons and customisation
True ending - the way everyone knows it was meant to end damnit
Trophies of course
Plus an extra option to play certain chapters with human enemies

MORE weapons? It has loads of weapons. And as for customisation??? There is too much if anything. Extra grips and flash lights? Who needs them?

And what ending is that? The one where Snake and Otacon get hung...because Hideo once said that was the way he wanted to end it...even though it didn't end like that...and never will end like that. It ended how it ended. How many writers of books or movies, thought about a different ending to their work, doesn't mean that's the way they should end it. Luc Besson might have (and probably did) think "I'm going to let Jean Reno and Natalie Portman
walk off into the sunset and plant that tree
", but he didn't. Why not murder Macaulay Culkin in Home Alone, why not let the bus in Speed blow up and kill Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves.

And I don't get the last one?

But of course trophies ;)

evilgreg

Neo Member
Super LTTP, but I just started this game and I'm absolutely loving it. I just started act 2.

I've played all main MGS games except for 3, but the writeup on the first page helped a lot. Thanks OP.

legacyzero

Banned
evilgreg said:
Super LTTP, but I just started this game and I'm absolutely loving it. I just started act 2.

I've played all main MGS games except for 3, but the writeup on the first page helped a lot. Thanks OP.

I know I'm late saying this, but DAT OP!!

OT: I love this game, would REALLY like some trophies though so I can have a reason to play through again.

legacyzero said:
I know I'm late saying this, but DAT OP!!

OT: I love this game, would REALLY like some trophies though so I can have a reason to play through again.

You need trophies to replay one of the greatest games ever made? Sickening.

legacyzero

Banned
Square Triangle said:
You need trophies to replay one of the greatest games ever made? Sickening.
Considering the 5 playthroughs I've racked up since release...........Well, yeah.

besides, is it so bad to want trophies?

Epcott

Wow, blast from the past. Every now and then I think about popping the game in and playing... then I remember the cheesy ending and decide not to.

And damn it, if Kojima brings Snake back from the dead after this after hinting to bring back a dead character, I'm officially done with MGS

I'll keep buying them, I am kojima's abused bitch :(

Can't wait for the semester to end, and do another run through this amazing game. I should finally get around to doing an extreme playthrough too. For some reason I just can't stay away from MGS4, even after five or so playthroughs. It seems like every time I find some new little thing, or try out a weapon I never used before. Can't get enough of it, and I love the short length of the game.

Persona7

Banned
I put this in today just to play round and I noticed that all the things I downloaded (camo,music and podcasts) were gone? I specifically remember downloading every single thing.

Are the downloads tied to something? Another weird thing is the downloads still work even though PSN is down.

I wish they would include all that stuff on new copies of the game...

Persona7 said:
I put this in today just to play round and I noticed that all the things I downloaded (camo,music and podcasts) were gone? I specifically remember downloading every single thing.

Are the downloads tied to something? Another weird thing is the downloads still work even though PSN is down.

I wish they would include all that stuff on new copies of the game...

No idea whats up with that.

Decided to read through the epic OP again, I remember nerdgasming about this so much when it came out. Still love this game. Had to grab one of those avatars that was expertly crafted.

<3 MGS4

Grinchy

Banned
legacyzero said:
Considering the 5 playthroughs I've racked up since release...........Well, yeah.

besides, is it so bad to want trophies?

Only if you are the kind of person who wants to show that they are such a hardcore gamer that they are above achievements. For everyone else, it makes perfect sense. I would love to play MGS4 again, but I always have that weird glimmer of hope that trophies are coming. Less so now than I used to, however.

MrPliskin

Banned
Everytime this thread is bumped...

broken_heart_emo-1500.jpg

3dmodeler

I fired this game up about a week ago, and boy is this game hard. Trying to stealth the beginning where you have none of your gear is tough as hell.

Zen

Banned
Mannn... I wish PSN would come back up so i could play MGO, there are still a great amount of people playing it too, last time I was on.

I'm working on a no-alert play-through right now. I just started Act 4 and because I foolishly wasted all my chaffs last game, I have only two that I procured from the heliport. Are there any masters of stealth here who can give me suggestions on reaching the boss fight with those two chaff grenades?

I forgot what a great game it is. The only real flaw is that it likes to hear itself talk way too much.

Grinchy

Banned
RadioHeadAche said:
I'm working on a no-alert play-through right now. I just started Act 4 and because I foolishly wasted all my chaffs last game, I have only two that I procured from the heliport. Are there any masters of stealth here who can give me suggestions on reaching the boss fight with those two chaff grenades?

I forgot what a great game it is. The only real flaw is that it likes to hear itself talk way too much.
I can't help your stealth situation but I agree a little bit about how it likes to hear itself talk way too much. I love MGS cutscenes, but it can really drag out subsequent playthroughs.

Peace Walker does things so perfectly. In fact, Peace Walker is probably the reason I feel that way about MGS4 at this point.

RadioHeadAche said:

Use the rail gun or 50cal sniper on the Gekko's.

For the tank hangar filled with scarabs, crawl through the 2nd floor ventilation duct and drop down when the 3 on the catwalk roll into the doorway; hide behind the box and watch the 3 below you, when they roll away from directly beneath you drop down and enter the hall, easily avoid the lasers and go outside.

For the blast furnace, shimmy along the ledge on the left side, when across go to the north wall and jump over the 2 railings on the left when the scarabs turn away. Press the elevator button twice and it'll get there faster.

After the elevator go straight and hide behind the stuff until the gekko turns to go to the right of the room, crouchwalk to the left and stay on the left. Not too sure about the next section but stay behind things and watch the scarab's and gekko's patterns, you want to go as far north as you can then cross over the conveyor when the gekko turns away. There are 3 more scarabs on the other side but just hide behind something and crawl to the door when they turn away.

Next area is what was the camera hall, when the scarab rolls away follow it but lean against the wall to watch until it goes up the steps, follow it up the first steps and lay down in the middle of the bridge, the scarab will scan right over you. When the scarab rolls to the right after scanning, crawl up the steps and over a bit, then crouchwalk through the door.

I think that's it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You can't buy Chaff from Drebin once his store becomes available?

No, you have to find them in the game. Plus, they are in very limited quantities and a lot of them are easily missed unless you know exactly where they are or just happen to find them.

mr.hands

Banned
The game was really nice (aside from act3 which looked and played like a ps2 game).
But as one of the biggest fans of the franchise, the story was the greatest disappointment ever.

Think about it;
I grew up with MGS1. I was there with Snake and Meryl.
10 years passed in real life, and in-game.
Then they meet up again.. The conversation and the chemistry in that scene is absolutely horrible. Even for a video game.

MGS1 and 3 felt like political thrillers or something. 4 is straight up primary school fan-fiction imo.

The story certainly had good ideas, but overall it's really hard to take the 4th MGS seriously.
It would have been so easy to create a great story/finale. The shadow moses part was absolutely epical, and also the first act was not too overly convoluted. With better writing it could have been the game of the generation, like MGS1 was, imo.

PokéKong

Grinchy said:
Only if you are the kind of person who wants to show that they are such a hardcore gamer that they are above achievements. For everyone else, it makes perfect sense. I would love to play MGS4 again, but I always have that weird glimmer of hope that trophies are coming. Less so now than I used to, however.

And if all you want is a nice pat on the shoulder for completing difficult tasks, then what the heck is wrong with the legitimately built into the game ranking system? Plus it actually unlock things in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom