• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dries

Holy SHIT.

I just (ACT 4 spoilers)
returned to Shadow Moses and you get the to play that segment of MGS1 which was pretty cool. But then you come upon the site and the music starts playing.

It really helps that I started this game unspoiled.

HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT.

leng jai

Dries said:
Holy SHIT.

I just (ACT 4 spoilers)
returned to Shadow Moses and you get the to play that segment of MGS1 which was pretty cool. But then you come upon the site and the music starts playing.

It really helps that I started this game unspoiled.

HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT.

That level could have been epic, but that really screwed it up.

Dries

So I'm fighting Crying Wolf now. Truly the most annoying and frustrating piece of gaming I've played in a long time.

That crying wolf fight is pretty annoying, one of my least favorite bosses for sure.

I just started a big boss extreme difficulty save, two hours later I had made it through the first middle east section with guards (the spot where the APC drives up and the gun looks back and forth). Now I have to learn the pattern for the next room, hopefully it doesn't take me 2 hours per section haha.

I'm trying to get through each section with 0 spots, 0 kills, etc. There have been times where I am very far away and an enemy will do the whole "Hey who's that!" and walk over, but by that time I am hidden. Still not sure if that counts as being spotted, I restarted every time that happened too.

LALILULELO

Neo Member
nismogrendel said:
There have been times where I am very far away and an enemy will do the whole "Hey who's that!" and walk over, but by that time I am hidden. Still not sure if that counts as being spotted, I restarted every time that happened too.

If the game doesnt go into alert mode, you are not spotted.

onken

Dries said:
So I'm fighting Crying Wolf now. Truly the most annoying and frustrating piece of gaming I've played in a long time.

That boss is awesome, also easy. Just wear face camo, ignore all the guards and find a good spot to go prone near the edge. Put on night vision and scan the edges of the map and you should eventually spot her coming out of her shell to snipe (she'll be the only heat source near the edge of the map). She shouldn't be able to see you so just take your time with the sniper rifle of your choice (silenced is best but use your mk2 to knock-out any nearby guards if you're using Mosin Nagent). Once you've hit her, stay low and run round the edge of the map until you find another good spot. Rinse, repeat. Easiest boss in the game imo, just need to play it quiet and be patient.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
nismogrendel said:
I'm trying to get through each section with 0 spots, 0 kills, etc. There have been times where I am very far away and an enemy will do the whole "Hey who's that!" and walk over, but by that time I am hidden. Still not sure if that counts as being spotted, I restarted every time that happened too.

Unless it's an "!".mp3 + ALERT PHASE, you aren't spotted.

Crying Wolf is mostly a sniper battle and I've hated the majority of Sniper Battles in MGS. So yeah, I agree: Annoying boss.

revolverjgw said:
It seriously is ALL MGS2's fault. There was no way to explain shit like Ocelot's arm in a way that wasn't totally stupid.

I know this is an old post, but that's the point. MGS2 is full of things that weren't supposed to really be explained.

The game gets a lot of flak for trying to be deep (and I would partially agree) but this is one thing that it did a good job on. Snake even says "it doesn't matter, just believe what you want". There's a reason MGS3 was a prequel and not a continuation of MGS2's story.

TheSeks

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
I know this is an old post, but that's the point. MGS2 is full of things that weren't supposed to really be explained.

The game gets a lot of flak for trying to be deep (and I would partially agree) but this is one thing that it did a good job on. Snake even says "it doesn't matter, just believe what you want". There's a reason MGS3 was a prequel and not a continuation of MGS2's story.

And then there is a reason that MGS4 tried to bring MGS3 in.

Kojima. And KP not slapping him and going "BAD, KOJIMA! GO SIT IN THE CORNER!" when it came to the pants-on-head stupid story connections.

Why the hell did they have to ruin the cast of MGS3, WHY!?

MGS4 and 2 don't exist to me because they ruin perfectly fine stories and characters that were in MGS1/3.

I agree, MGS4 fell into the trap of trying to tie absolutely everything together and suffered from it (although I still like it). But I think MGS4 is the only game that really "ruined" anything else. Everything else is fine.

TheSeks

MGS2 wouldn't be so bad if it didn't Thelma and Louise off the story cliff after
You go to rescue the President.

"Who are the Patriots!?"
(Story goes down hill into nonsense and not-easy-to-follow-anymore-ville)

The whole last half was "What the shit am I playing?"
And what I got out of it was that S3 was a simulation of MGS1 OH WAIT NO IT WASN'T, and that internet spouting memes is bad and the Patriots/AI we didn't know were AI was trying to censor it so the internet wasn't bloated. Oh and Rose being real but you were talking to an AI the whole time Rose was bitching up until the last five minutes.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Yeah OP's been fucked for a while now. Was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Still, pretty damn sad.

Strike

Catalix said:
Yeah OP's been fucked for a while now. Was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Still, pretty damn sad.
You know what even sadder? Someone is probably going to come in here and complain (troll) about how they were expecting some news about trophies.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
AW SHIT SON I THOUGHT THIS WAS A TROPHY BUMP

good times

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh my fucking God, please fix the OT... it's the best thing to ever happen GAF imo.

Dries

Arrgh the respawning guards are so annoying.. I want to clear camps silently but I guess that's not allowed. How could respawning guards ever benefit gameplay? Why do we have all these weapons + silencers if you're not allowed to use them.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Dries said:
Arrgh the respawning guards are so annoying.. I want to clear camps silently but I guess that's not allowed. How could respawning guards ever benefit gameplay? Why do we have all these weapons + silencers if you're not allowed to use them.
Go in deep son. Melee those mofos. Or at least shoot em from only a few foot away

Dries

Teetris said:
Go in deep son. Melee those mofos. Or at least shoot em from only a few foot away

I guess I'm the only one with this issue, I can't find a lot of others with this issue. Which surprises me. :O

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Dries said:
otherwise this game would be waaaay too easy. taking guards out from a distance is cake. youre suppose to clear out an area then press in and put your self in some kind of danger while reinforcements come.

Dries

Also I hear everyone raving about Act 3. I really didn't have any fun on that chapter. Was I playing it wrong? Someone give me the lowdown on how to play Act 3. I was trying to just
kill every enemy who was standing in the way of the resistance dude. But often he got scared or something and ran the other way. I was just really confused on this act.

-Winnie-

Dries said:
Also I hear everyone raving about Act 3. I really didn't have any fun on that chapter. Was I playing it wrong? Someone give me the lowdown on how to play Act 3. I was trying to just
kill every enemy who was standing in the way of the resistance dude. But often he got scared or something and ran the other way. I was just really confused on this act.

It'd probably help if you stopped killing the enemies. I just knocked them out most of the time, or just avoided them from memory.

master15

Anytime I see this thread I get angry at how disappointing and at times infuriating MGS 4 was.

Dries said:
Also I hear everyone raving about Act 3. I really didn't have any fun on that chapter. Was I playing it wrong? Someone give me the lowdown on how to play Act 3.

I really enjoyed it the first time through however it really doesn't stand up on repeat plays. For such a long stretch of gameplay it's so incredibly linear and such a missed opportunity for branching paths, or at least multiple ways to reach same objective.

Only nice easter-egg is being able to see mini-gex disguised person wondering around the playing field.

Dries said:

Really? I wasn't on GAF at the time but I thought it was the worst act. Anyway, like Winnie said I think it's better to use the tranquilizers or just avoid guards.

Catalix

Dries said:
Also I hear everyone raving about Act 3.
How the heck did you come to that conclusion? :lol it's easily one of the most divisive chapters in the game.

and stop killing guards, dude, it's obviously causing a lot of your problems. If you need to incapacitate them, just knock them out.

Minamu

rvy said:
Will you no good motherfuckers stop giving me hope that this a Trophy Patch bump?!
finding_nemo_seagulls_sydney_harbour.jpg

Patch? Patch?

Dries

Catalix said:
and stop killing guards, dude, it's obviously causing a lot of your problems. If you need to incapacitate them, just knock them out.

I will, but I just thought that's why they put weapons in the game.. So you could.. err shoot people? :lol

How do we find out about Raiden rescuing Sunny from Area 51? Is it in the game (a codec call maybe) or is it one of those needless Database add ons?

I'm trying to seive through the Database rubbish :D

It doesn't even say that REX was in MGS4! You play as it!!! Naomi died of cancer, not because of radiation. Ok, that could of caused the cancer, but at least mention it! There's a section for Ocelot that is fake...what's the point??? "Ocelot used to play for the Russian National Football team and is their leading top scorer" However this report turned out to be faulse :lol You could say anything :D And it wasn't like it was even very interesting, and certainly didn't contradict anything. And why make up a story to explain the whole Dr Clark changing to a woman thing? Dr Clark could of had a son, Gray Fox could of killed the wrong person...but no, very little was known about her, so she thought she was a man?! Yet she covered up for Gray Fox...what with her eyes closed? :lol

It annoys me because the series only really has these stupid mistakes, peoples names and silly stuff. Big Boss was in his late 50s when they made the clones, that is the most stupid one because he didn't look in his early 80s in Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, he looked in his late 50s, Snake was very alive already, so if they hadn't have said anything it would of been alright. It was needless. Although in a way it fits, because the person who said it was a dead man talking through an arm of a known backstabbing spy :lol And Liquid is never right, he said that Snake got all the dominant genes as well. You can have that for Rising :D Put right what once went wrong...hoping the next leap will be the leap home :lol

After two and a half years I've finally gotten to playing, and beating, MGS4. I'm a huge fan of MGS1 and 3, with disdain for 2, but didn't get a PS3 until this year. After finally sifting through much of my backlog, it just felt right to finally play MGS4.

And what a disappointment! I had fun with the game, sure, but I'm just left scratching my head. Not because of confusion, but because this is what us fans of the series are left with? The story in MGS4 marks the end of the legacy of the MGS series?! The story even seemed to become self-parody at parts. I felt it was that bad.

Part of me still loves the game, as a MGS fan, but the other part of me, the realist, just can't believe this jumbled mess. The gameplay was fantastic, there's no doubt about that. I just expected more from this game, after all of the praise I've heard for the past 2 years.

DJ Lushious said:
After two and a half years I've finally gotten to playing, and beating, MGS4. I'm a huge fan of MGS1 and 3, with disdain for 2, but didn't get a PS3 until this year. After finally sifting through much of my backlog, it just felt right to finally play MGS4.

And what a disappointment! I had fun with the game, sure, but I'm just left scratching my head. Not because of confusion, but because this is what us fans of the series are left with? The story in MGS4 marks the end of the legacy of the MGS series?! The story even seemed to become self-parody at parts. I felt it was that bad.

Part of me still loves the game, as a MGS fan, but the other part of me, the realist, just can't believe this jumbled mess. The gameplay was fantastic, there's no doubt about that. I just expected more from this game, after all of the praise I've heard for the past 2 years.

Where have you been? GAF's been hating on this game ever since right after it was elected GAF GOTY 2008.

Pai Pai Master said:
Where have you been? GAF's been hating on this game ever since right after it was elected GAF GOTY 2008.
Biding my time.

I can't honestly believe that the hate isn't partially justified. It's not like, say, simply hating on Mario 'cause he's a fan of overalls.

My expectations were very high coming into MGS4. Everyone I spoke to had nothing but praise for the game. Maybe they were just being tricksters?

Tarin02543 said:
I hated MGS4 but I loved playing it. I was like a parody of a good game.
An excellent way of putting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom