• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

I really want to play this and would consider picking up a PSP to do so. I guess then I'd finally have an excuse to play through some other PSP games.

Here's my question though - I haven't played a Metal Gear game since Metal Gear Solid on the PS1. Will this ruin this game for me?

Thanks GAF.

ezekial45

Banned
Gorilla Shark said:
I really want to play this and would consider picking up a PSP to do so. I guess then I'd finally have an excuse to play through some other PSP games.

Here's my question though - I haven't played a Metal Gear game since Metal Gear Solid on the PS1. Will this ruin this game for me?

Thanks GAF.
While the gameplay is really great, I'd have to strongly recommend you at least play MGS3 first, since the story is pretty much a sequel to that. You'd really be missing out on a lot.

Grinchy

Banned
The lack of Infrastructure in this game disappoints me :(

I used to be able to use Adhoc Party, but I'm no longer connected by wire on my PS3. If only I could play this game in coop mode...

ezekial45 said:
While the gameplay is really great, I'd have to strongly recommend you at least play MGS3 first, since the story is pretty much a sequel to that. You'd really be missing out on a lot.

Thanks for the info. Is there a version you would recommend of MGS3?

Slime

Banned
Subsistence. It has a 3D camera and includes ports of the original MSX Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2. Great package.

I'm planning on picking this up, but I have a question - does Night 2 and Night 3 of YT videos (Co-Op action) feature just live players, or can I (OMFG!) direct A.I. to do missions with me?

Len1978

I am loving this game!! I come back to it every night. My backlog is growing quick. I just wish more people played on Adhoc Party though

Just started playing this and it's incredible. Easily the best game I've played on PSP.

Between this and Persona 3 Portable, my PSP Go is getting some major love and taking time away from Bad Company 2 PC + Portal 2 + Crysis 2.

How I'm going to get away from these games for the Witcher 2 is an absolute mystery, but I'm just loving how polished and engaging this game is.

Akainu

So I got this a while ago and I love it. I just finished the second peace walker battle and that shit was intense. I got so many near nuke launches and one where I was out of rockets and had to start gunning it down with the pkm with like seconds to spare. Madness!

dock

Was thinking about this game earlier, it's one of my most-wanted when I buy a PSP-Go later in the year. I'm slightly dreading the controls, based upon the hour I spent with Portable Missions, but I'm mostly excited to play it.

ezekial45

Banned
Couple questions;

1. Does anyone know if there's a specific outer ops mission that unlocks the CAW (the auto shotgun, iirc)?
2. Do you get anything for clearing all the Outer Ops missions?

Edgeward

The_Darkest_Red said:
I started playing this last night and I'm having a blast. Is anyone interested in Ad-HOC Partying it up when PSN comes back around?
I'll play with you. I havent touched it since i played an hour of it when i first got it last year. Friend me on psn, edgeward34 if you're still interested. I will probably be terrible tho considering i havent played in over a year.

Edgeward said:
I'll play with you. I havent touched it since i played an hour of it when i first got it last year. Friend me on psn, edgeward34 if you're still interested. I will probably be terrible tho considering i havent played in over a year.
Awesome, I'll add you sometime soon. Hopefully the store will be back up soon as well, I still need to download AdHoc Party.

ezekial45

Banned
I feel like such a dumbass. The weapons you arm your soldiers with are what they carry into Extra ops. :O

It's so obvious. I'll give everyone the Kamphpistol.

warpaint

gave up on the back log and started this over the weekend not really sure why i stopped playing it. It is really a fun metal gear game and it looks very nice on the PSP screen

So far I have put in about 11.5 hours in to the game
right now I am battling Peace Walker for the second time and having a hard time
And as someone who bought all MGS games pretty much on day 1 or near release (except for MGS4) I think this is by far the best MGS game to date and also the best game by Kojima Pro.

What an amazing ride it has been so far! I can't wait to replay the HD version on PSVita

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Since this popped up, what's the idea behind S-ranking the target practice courses? Headshots? Speed?

Those are the last things I need to S-rank before I have S's in all the solo portions of the missions.

Ellis Kim

Banned
@SniperViper Indeed, the best MGS game to date. But why so late to the party?
@TheSeks Speed, I think. That and not killing anyone.

Ellis Kim said:
@SniperViper Indeed, the best MGS game to date. But why so late to the party?

hmm I bought the game the day it was released but the moving stick on the PSP 1000 is broken, it kept moving the character without any input. So finally after messing around various forums I discovered that the game had a sensitivity option, I set that 50 and finally started enjoying the game.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Dreams-Visions said:
anyone think they'll be releasing MGS5 Substance for Vita with the second analog stick enabled?

I think they'll make a new game for PSV and PS3 instead

Since this popped up, what's the idea behind S-ranking the target practice courses? Headshots? Speed?

Those are the last things I need to S-rank before I have S's in all the solo portions of the missions.

I'm pretty sure it's just completion time and no miss

but it's been a while so don't quote me

Grinchy

Banned
Every time I see a picture of PW Big Boss, or see the name "Peace Walker" it makes me want to play this game.

It really sucks that I'm back to wireless now though. No more ad-hoc for me :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Dreams-Visions said:
anyone think they'll be releasing MGS5 Substance for Vita with the second analog stick enabled?

Uh, that's basically the port to PS3 is doing. PS3 version includes PSP2 copies.

Retro said:
I'm pretty sure it's just completion time and no miss

What qualifies as a "no miss?" Do I simply have to hit the target, or the body/head/arms of the target itself and not the "target" target (if you get what I mean).

Edit: Wow, what did SniperViper get banned for? 60 posts so it's a perma, but crazy to see him post and four hours later dead.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
TheSeks said:
What qualifies as a "no miss?" Do I simply have to hit the target, or the body/head/arms of the target itself and not the "target" target (if you get what I mean).

Don't miss any of the targets

again don't quote me if that's not it

warpaint

Still not to deep into it ,but still having a great time with it even if i am try to s rank some thing before moving on the next item or mission on the list

Ellis Kim

Banned
I was just thinking about
the scene at the end where Big Boss calls the dude in DC to tell them that the ICBM strike signal is actually false, and just how chilling/high adrenaline that whole scene was to just watch.

Soooooo good :D :D :D Gives me the chills just thinking about it.

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I have picked up the MGS HD Collection as a rental, I have already completed the other games, but due to not having a PSP did not ever get a chance to try this one out.

Is it worth me renting the game? I know its pretty damn long, how linear is it? Long but linear may work out as a rental as I have a week or two to blitz it out, if its not linear at all though I would be scared of rushing and missing things. Should I pass on renting and just buy instead?

Also, I do not own a PS3, so have never played MGS4, would that hurt my enjoyment of this game? I assume not, but I dont want to take risks as MGS is awesome franchise and I dont want to spoil things for myself for when I do finally eventually get to play 4.

Top Bottom