• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

JEKKI said:
I still dont get it... so do I need to use the walkman to listen to tapes??

and I have to replay each mission to use the walkman in every mission??

that sounds like a pain o_O

nah just pick any mission and go to the briefing (don't start the mission).

you will see people who can help you on this mission, instead press a button (convinced its the shoulder button) and it will show everyone.

go to chico and listen EVERYTHING (yes new one will pop up at times) then go on the mission to locate.

for me i used the briefing on extra op 29 since thats the mission where you need to locate the particular person.

as for the briefings they are cool and give great insight to MGS lore (Huey and Strangelove in particular)

JEKKI

oh I see...

the whole time I thought briefings were when you hit the triangle button and it tells you how many enemies and prisoners are in the stage...

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Chopperman said:
Wait what.

You're playing with stealth camo on your first run? Really?!

With Sonic eye, fulton, hold-up and extremely easy patrol patterns, I thought this was the easiest metal gear game to date.(even though they're all pretty easy)

I tried ta give it my best shot but the way this game is/was just not for me. I couldn't play it well at all even with cheating! Doing so let me bypass so much BS grinding stuff so I could just ya know do the story. An that was enough for me.

Now I'm trading it away for $16 essentially making it a 4 month $5 rental for me. This is only the third game I've ever tossed so its in rare company alongside Sonic Heroes and NSMB. Lesson learned: don't even fret over not having played Portable Ops!

entremet

Near end game help:
So how do I complete chapter 5? I created Zeke, captured Zadornov 6 times, and went on the date with Paz. The only optional missions I have left are vehicle battles in Extra Ops, which are such a grind. Do I need to complete those too? Great game, but I wish it was more clear in regards to completing it.

Kuran

Banned
Killed 5 or so choppers in extra ops whilst on the plane today... this game is so impressive, both visually and the scenarios/tension that it brings up during gameplay.

It's not just the graphics (models/textures) that are insane, but the way the camera swivels and pans, combined with the quality of the sound production..

I really hope they release some sort of secondary edition with extra content, infrastructure play, etc... I would pick it up in a heartbeat.

Kuran

Banned
Managed to solo Tigrex on first try, fingers hurt.

Edit: also the twilight version...a bit easy

Edit: and gear Rex! WTF

I must be ready for MHP3d

Edit: I can't move my left hand

Edit: gear Rex twilight, solod and firstt, WTF, my knuckles... gotta sleep

aerts1js

Since this game is on sale on PSN I was thinking about picking it up but I have a few questions.

I probably won't have the chance to play through the game in co-op and I was wondering if that made getting through the story mode nearly impossible?

If so, I'll probably give it a pass even though I'm a big Metal Gear fan..

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
aerts1js said:
Since this game is on sale on PSN I was thinking about picking it up but I have a few questions.

I probably won't have the chance to play through the game in co-op and I was wondering if that made getting through the story mode nearly impossible?

If so, I'll probably give it a pass even though I'm a big Metal Gear fan..

You can beat the whole game by yourself. You just have to know which equipment get into each mission along with a little practice.

bernardobri said:
You can beat the whole game by yourself. You just have to know which equipment get into each mission along with a little practice.

Thats good to hear. I just got it from amazon for $10. any pointer I should know?

The only problems people might have running solo are the boss battles against the mechs. And as for "what equipment to get"

Use Combat armor, 2 rocketlaunchers and a heavy MG. Ammo drop as an item + all the rations and Curry you can get.

Not really any problems there. The big problems regarding solomissions comes AFTER the main storyline with the bonus stages.

So yes, you can easily play through it alone. Just have patience in the boss fights.

zlatko

Banned
I'm curious to see if Peace Walker gets nominations for GOTY in big public places. Handheld game or not it is an incredible game that was some of the best this year had to offer.

Salaadin

zlatko said:
I'm curious to see if Peace Walker gets nominations for GOTY in big public places. Handheld game or not it is an incredible game that was some of the best this year had to offer.

Id like to see that but I get the feeling that it will be ignored outside of the PSP only GOTY awards. I do agree that its one of the best this year. I certainly didnt expect it to be as good as it was. I honestly felt that it was better, more complete, and more polished than MGS4.

Ataturk

Just downloaded a save file with everything unlocked. Some of those boss battles are far too long (one took me 10 mins to get a third of the way through). I would've just left the game unfinished otherwise because I am not prepared to grind to improve my stuff.

zlatko said:

i don't think handheld games have a chance at crossover awards. however, PW will most certainly get plenty awards restricted to handelds.

Kuran

Banned
Ataturk said:
Just downloaded a save file with everything unlocked. Some of those boss battles are far too long (one took me 10 mins to get a third of the way through). I would've just left the game unfinished otherwise because I am not prepared to grind to improve my stuff.

Uh, why did you not just play the game the way it was meant to be played?

There is no need to grind in this game, just do the main missions, and the extra ops missions when they appear.

It took you 10 minutes to get halfway through those boss battles because you suck. If you would have played through the game you may not have sucked at this point.

I am in the last chapter, and have not done a single mission twice, unless I failed it the first time.

Ataturk

Kuran said:
Uh, why did you not just play the game the way it was meant to be played?

There is no need to grind in this game, just do the main missions, and the extra ops missions when they appear.

It took you 10 minutes to get halfway through those boss battles because you suck. If you would have played through the game you may not have sucked at this point.

I am in the last chapter, and have not done a single mission twice, unless I failed it the first time.
Well, I've played most of the extra ops, my stuff still wasn't good enough. So I would have had to grind in order to make the bosses tolerable.

Bosses are a major pain in this game because you spend so much time with supply markers getting more ammo and rations. That's just my experience.

Maybe I suck, but I couldn't care less. The bosses are a grind and are not fun at all for me, so I cheated, otherwise I would've just stopped playing.

Kuran

Banned
Ataturk said:
Well, I've played most of the extra ops, my stuff still wasn't good enough. So I would have had to grind in order to make the bosses tolerable.

Bosses are a major pain in this game because you spend so much time with supply markers getting more ammo and rations. That's just my experience.

Maybe I suck, but I couldn't care less. The bosses are a grind and are not fun at all for me, so I cheated, otherwise I would've just stopped playing.

Well something must be wrong, most bosses are pretty easy if you use a nice big machine gun, a suitably researched rocket launcher of your choice, and of course supply markers.

Choppers can be taken down in five minutes, just focus on the troops until they run out, and then just destroy the cockpit, and the pilot after he appears. (Single rocket to the head, always)

Tanks can be a little difficult, since you need to wittle their health much more, in order for the pilot to appear. At least using my technique, nothing exceptionally tricky though...

And seeing my post above, even the agressive Monster Hunter bosses I managed to take out on my first try.. but it might have helped that I know the attack patterns from those bosses.

Salaadin

What bosses? Actual story mode bosses or the EX OPS bosses?

I hardly had any issues with the story bosses. Sure, they were difficult but I welcome it in MGS games especially when stealth is still an option in some of them. I dont recall any of them taking me too long except for the first chopper.
The EX OPs bosses are tough especially once you go into 4+ star difficulty range...even when you have souped up gear.

Ataturk

Peace Walker battle 2. Took me 10 -15 mins to whittle down 3 of the 10 health bars. That was using the lock-on RPG at rank 3, a machine gun and strike markers.

mehdi_san

I know it's supposed to be funny, but I think the VA for Cecile did a very bad French accent in English :( Especially when they made her say French words, it didn't sound French at all :( I still enjoyed the briefings though, because the dialogues were really funny...

Ellis Kim

Banned
mehdi_san said:
I know it's supposed to be funny, but I think the VA for Cecile did a very bad French accent in English :( Especially when they made her say French words, it didn't sound French at all :( I still enjoyed the briefings though, because the dialogues were really funny...
Well, you could always chalk it up with needing to speak in english at the same time. Hearing Kojima call out the Rising producer on-stage at the Microsoft e3 press conference with an american pronounciation is just odd and awkward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vvSy1yCiho#t=0m50s

Oyashiro

I got this for Christmas a few days ago and I'm super excited to get started on it :D I have a couple questions about the multi-player, though.

I'm going to visit my best friend for a week and he's the only other person I know that has a PSP, so we wanna take advantage of the co-op mode (he hasn't played the game either). Is the co-op just ad-hoc or do we have to connect some other way? Also, can we play through all the missions in co-op? If not, can we skip around to the co-op only missions, or do we have to go through the non co-op ones first?

Oni Jazar

Pretty much the entire game is co-op for 2 people (or more on certain maps). You may need to do the first tutorial/mission solo. Ad Hoc is the most common way the other is using Ad Hoc Party on PS3.

Oyashiro

Ok, that's great. My friend just started playing through it and he told me the first couple of missions didn't seem to be co-op, so we got a little discouraged by that.

Also, how much easier is the game in co-op? Should we bump up the difficulty, or would Normal mode still be fine with two people? And while we're at it, how long does the game take to beat (with 2 people)? Thanks so much, and sorry for all the questions!

Oni Jazar

I don't think there's a difficulty setting in the game. The game will take a very long time to beat all the way through - at least 15 hours if you rush everything and skip the side missions.

It should still be a lot of fun to play together co-op though! I wish I had someone to play through it all with.

deim0s

Just picked this game up over the X'mas weekend - wow, better controls! Just finished ch. 4 - God! that 1min nuke timer is epic! Fumbling with the support marker and reloading the Gustav surely adds tension!

I have ZEKE up - I'm wondering how would I get the Radome?

deim0s said:
Just picked this game up over the X'mas weekend - wow, better controls! Just finished ch. 4 - God! that 1min nuke timer is epic! Fumbling with the support marker and reloading the Gustav surely adds tension!

I have ZEKE up - I'm wondering how would I get the Radome?
The Radome comes from beating Chrysalis, the second unmanned AI boss if I recall right.

deim0s

Tried doing multiple Chrysalis runs... still couldn't get parts for the radome (and the armor as well). Any part of it that I should hit aside from the AI head?

To clarify... should I be just targeting the AI head/module and try not to damage other parts or should I completely destroy the radome and/or the M/S/C(?)/A parts?

Oyashiro

I'm having problems getting the co-op mode to work. My friend and I have tried everything at this point. I hosted, he hosted. We tried several different channels, both online and offline. We made sure our ad-hoc and wi-fi was working, just in case. We just cannot get it working :( It just stays there and searches for other players but never finds them.

If it makes any difference, I'm on Prome-4 and he's using OFW (probably 6.20 I'm guessing?) He's using the UMD and I'm using an iso.

Oni Jazar

Oyashiro said:
I'm having problems getting the co-op mode to work. My friend and I have tried everything at this point. I hosted, he hosted. We tried several different channels, both online and offline. We made sure our ad-hoc and wi-fi was working, just in case. We just cannot get it working :( It just stays there and searches for other players but never finds them.

If it makes any difference, I'm on Prome-4 and he's using OFW (probably 6.20 I'm guessing?) He's using the UMD and I'm using an iso.

Make sure you're not running on a different clock (Mhz) setting then the OFW? Dunno what else to say...

Oyashiro

Oni Jazar said:
Make sure you're not running on a different clock (Mhz) setting then the OFW? Dunno what else to say...
Hm... Okay, I 'll try that. Thank you.

edit: Tried and it still doesn't work. I noticed something strange, though. Regardless of whether he hosts or searches for a host, his PSP's little ad-hoc light (or whatever it is) never blinks. Mine blinks when I'm hosting or searching for a host, his doesn't at all. Could this be a problem with his PSP? He just bought it not too long ago... It's a PSP-3000, the one that comes with the Kingdom Hearts:BbS special edition.

deim0s

Just played an Extra Ops mission with a PSP 3000 (6.36) and a PSP 2000 (5.00 m33) a while ago, played fine.

Check the basic settings, in and out of the game - same channel?

deim0s

Extra Ops #76(?) The one with the T-72 tank. We're getting trounced by it's rapid firing!

Are AT mines a must? It seems it ain't doing much damage! :S

@Oyashiro
With other games both of you can connect and see each other?

Oyashiro

We finally got it working. I had to go back home and get my UMD, but it was worth it. I guess it was a problem with the iso or something. Anyway, we're having a ton of fun in co-op :D

One questions though: We were messing around with the Snake Formation thing and out of nowhere a tiny yellow bar popped up that said "Syncing" or something like that. What exactly does that do? We let the bar fill up but didn't notice any difference.

Is there a good guide for this online that goes into detail on how to unlock everything (weapons, items, extra ops, etc)? I can't seem to find one.

Dibbz

Man the bosses are so god damn hard in this. I'm up to chapter 2 and about to fight the helicopter but they recommend 4 people to play that mission. I managed to beat the boss in chapter 1 somehow
the singing shagohod thing
but screw it if they're all going to be that hard.

Is there a way to tune the game for one player or something?

If you don't have any co-op partners, you basically have to do extra ops and improve your equipment. The game will be very hard if you don't keep upgrading your weapons and items.

The US version actually is more balanced for single-player than the Japanese version.

Dibbz

Well I got the UK version. Guess that doesn't bode well for me since we always get Euro extreme and stuff like that.

I just watched the official clip of the battle i'm up to and the guys had shields and rail guns and all sort of crazy ass weapons.

I just finished installing Adhoc party and wtf I can't use it with a wireless network?

Sipowicz

Banned
i got the secret ending recently and fucking hell it was hilarious (spoilers below)

-peace rocket!
-pacifico ocean!
-12 year old girl in underwear getting soaked while trying to unleash nuclear armageddon from giant robot

Kazzy

Looking for some help with equipment for a late game boss battle...

I'm at the second Peace Walker battle and have managed to get my R&D team to about level 55, I've just about finished the development of the level 3 Law, I'm about the same level with the rations etc.

Will this be enough to finish the battle on my own? I did a test run before I had my new weapon and it's health seemed to whittle down very slowly, I usually have a rocket launcher or two along with a LMG and up until now they have seen me through. Also how do you avoid the attack when it slides from one side of the area to the other? I tried hiding on the far edges but I seemed to get hit every time.

deim0s

Bring two RL's (gustav and law or RPG or whatever you have) and a LMG and supply markers.

When it slides, try not to get caught in the middle or near a foot. Try running towards the barricaded alley and not to the dock's edge.

Kazzy

I went into the fight last night and managed to do it on my first try.

The chapter 5 missions, how do I get them to roll out quicker? I don't really want to be waiting to get the true ending, I want get to the end.

Top Bottom