• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

Just finished this one. I must admit, it immediately didn't grab me at all...but I got hooked lately. Playing through this game co-op is a ton of fun!

It also reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally makes me want to play through MGS3: Snake Eater again...

TheMissingLink said:
Just finished this one. I must admit, it immediately didn't grab me at all...but I got hooked lately. Playing through this game co-op is a ton of fun!

It also reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally makes me want to play through MGS3: Snake Eater again...
The first thing I did after completing all the missions in Peace Walker was replay Snake Eater... and it felt great!! Do it!

Suzzopher

Wonder if someone can help me. I am going to buy the digital copy of this whilst it is on sale so I can use it on NGP later in the year. But, I was wondering if the download of 1.4gb still needs the 800mb install? I know it shouldn't do, but you never know with how backward PSN is.

Suzzopher said:
Wonder if someone can help me. I am going to buy the digital copy of this whilst it is on sale so I can use it on NGP later in the year. But, I was wondering if the download of 1.4gb still needs the 800mb install? I know it shouldn't do, but you never know with how backward PSN is.

No you dont need to.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Suzzopher said:

Have fun. I played this game all summer, so awesome. I can't wait to see what the next MGS on NGP is going to be like!

mehdi_san

Suzzopher said:
I don't think it will change anything, but if you want to be sure, try to use the codec during a mission. On the UMD version, it's text only (no voice) if you don't do the install. I don't remember how it was for the PSN version.

Suzzopher

Cheers guys.

I played through the UMD version last July, but with it being so cheap on PSN and my UMD not backwards compatible I thought I had better get it downloaded. And I want another play through :D

So close to being my GOTY last was this.

Why has it taken me this long to get around to playing this game?

It is such a delight and discovering adhoc party last night as just increased my enjoyment exponentially.

I wish I could afford that ridiculous Big Boss Edition PSP, I will get it in the end.

2nd peace walker battle is freaking giving me arthritis-level psp cramps! Lowest i've got it is down to is 2 bars and then it invariably ends up behind the buildings launching the nukes, and for some reason the usual 3-4 missiles aren't doing shit to stop it :( I missed the RPG at first, so i've only just got it at lvl 1, and my LAW is only at lvl2, - i dont think i can take another attempt tonight, but should i be lvl'ing up a bit more? I wish these bosses gave you better feedback as to how you're doing or how prepared you should be beforehand.

the androgyne said:
2nd peace walker battle is freaking giving me arthritis-level psp cramps! Lowest i've got it is down to is 2 bars and then it invariably ends up behind the buildings launching the nukes, and for some reason the usual 3-4 missiles aren't doing shit to stop it :( I missed the RPG at first, so i've only just got it at lvl 1, and my LAW is only at lvl2, - i dont think i can take another attempt tonight, but should i be lvl'ing up a bit more? I wish these bosses gave you better feedback as to how you're doing or how prepared you should be beforehand.

Get your rocket launchers leveled up man.

I also carried a machine gun during my fight to help with the deflector and its not a bad method to use in stopping the launch (its faster, though weaker)

Slime

Banned
I would so buy this again for NGP, if they rerelease it with online multiplayer. I gave up on the harder missions because I couldn't do them solo, and it's too much of a hassle to hook my PS3 up to a wired connection in order to use Adhoc Party. I'm sure I'll do it someday regardless though. Game was so damn fun.

the androgyne said:

Preparedness isn't too bad as they at least let you know a boss battle is coming! For the whole battle you want to aim at the AI pod and nothing else, otherwise you are wasting the potential of your rockets. Your weapons do sound pretty low so I'm not sure it's possible like that.

Slime said:
I would so buy this again for NGP, if they rerelease it with online multiplayer.

It sounds very likely to me that a sequel of sorts will be announced at E3, hopefully it will have direct online multiplayer.

Slime

Banned
Graphics Horse said:
It sounds very likely to me that a sequel of sorts will be announced at E3, hopefully it will have direct online multiplayer.

So is the theory that the cross-PS3/NGP game he's announcing is basically Peace Walker Substance, with more levels, online and playability on both platforms? Because I would be so in.

Salaadin

I want to start watching for PW digital version deals so I can buy it and play it on NGP. I already have an 80+ hour save file for the UMD version. Will both versions work with this save file? I dont have to start over if I buy the digital?

Thrakier said:
I have no chance with the last boss. Any help?

Depending on your level of rocket launchers that might be true. Build up your rocket launchers through R&D. Especially the Gustav. It seems impossible at first, and don't be afraid to grind a bit to raise your R&D level. Much better than getting extremely frustrated in a half an hour long battle that you will probably end up losing unless you upgrade a bit. A good place to get R&D staff quickly is the "Dead Mans Treasure" extra op. Just doing that mission over and over raised my R&D incredibly fast.

And only concentrate on hitting the Ai pod, but I am sure you probably knew that. Good luck, it isn't that bad once you get some better gear.

Any reason why I couldn't get this to work with my friend locally?

I have a Go, he has a 1000, I click the second mission and click "host- Ch1", he goes to "Coop" and searches for my room but nothing shows up. Both of the green lights were on. It was his first time playing it, he was originally on an old firmware, 3.something and it prompted him to upgrade to 6.2 (my fw as well). He played the tutorial and I think the first snake mission fyi.

I think we are going to play through the PS3 instead but I'd like to know why it didn't work if you guys have any idea.

Thrakier

GrumpyAlien said:
Depending on your level of rocket launchers that might be true. Build up your rocket launchers through R&D. Especially the Gustav. It seems impossible at first, and don't be afraid to grind a bit to raise your R&D level. Much better than getting extremely frustrated in a half an hour long battle that you will probably end up losing unless you upgrade a bit. A good place to get R&D staff quickly is the "Dead Mans Treasure" extra op. Just doing that mission over and over raised my R&D incredibly fast.

And only concentrate on hitting the Ai pod, but I am sure you probably knew that. Good luck, it isn't that bad once you get some better gear.

WTF? I don't want to grind to finish a game. Which level do I need? Also, I don't have the Dead Mans Treasure Mission. I'm missing a lot of sidemissions and I don't know why. That's annoying.

Thrakier said:
Also I finally build MG Zeke, but I donät know what to do with it. I can't use it for extra ops, can I?

Yes you can, I think it tells you once you can use it.

Thrakier said:
WTF? I don't want to grind to finish a game. Which level do I need? Also, I don't have the Dead Mans Treasure Mission. I'm missing a lot of sidemissions and I don't know why. That's annoying.

You don't need to do any grinding, but do some uncompleted side missions if you're having problems, they will also unlock others.
I think it is possible to do that boss without any leveling, just two rockets and supply markers, and only hitting the A.I. pod. Planting C4 under its head will take it out of the E.M. pulse state.

Only use a missile on it when you have a clear shot.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Thrakier

Graphics Horse said:
Yes you can, I think it tells you once you can use it.

You don't need to do any grinding, but do some uncompleted side missions if you're having problems, they will also unlock others.
I think it is possible to do that boss without any leveling, just two rockets and supply markers, and only hitting the A.I. pod. Planting C4 under its head will take it out of the E.M. pulse state.

Only use a missile on it when you have a clear shot.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Waz zat link about?

I completed all available side missions. My F&E is at 42.

deim0s

Graphics Horse said:
Planting C4 under its head will take it out of the E.M. pulse state.

That I didn't know. Will try it sometime.

@Thrakier
Yeah, you need to do the Extra Missions to unlock further missions and other items along the way. You don't need to grind actually, you'll level them up to an adequate level as you use them on story and extra ops missions.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Salaadin said:
I want to start watching for PW digital version deals so I can buy it and play it on NGP. I already have an 80+ hour save file for the UMD version. Will both versions work with this save file? I dont have to start over if I buy the digital?
I did the same thing, having bought the UMD version. My save/settings carried over, no problem.

Salaadin

Cataferal said:
I did the same thing, having bought the UMD version. My save/settings carried over, no problem.

Thanks a lot. Just the confirmation I needed.
I hope I can catch a deal on the digital version...maybe something this summer or whatnot. Ill probably see about grabbing my other must have PSP games in digital format too so then maybe I can trade in my PSP 2000 towards an NGP.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Salaadin said:
Thanks a lot. Just the confirmation I needed.
I hope I can catch a deal on the digital version...maybe something this summer or whatnot. Ill probably see about grabbing my other must have PSP games in digital format too so then maybe I can trade in my PSP 2000 towards an NGP.
Konami are more than willing to drop the price on Peace Walker from time to time. I picked it up for £16 on the EU PSN store during the January sale, which is equivalent to the boxed price. There should be plenty more sales to come as Sony's marketing team migrates towards the NGP lineup.

I'm especially looking forward to finally playing this game with two analogue sticks, rather than that sticky nub. Apparently dual-stick control works beautifully on the PSP GO (via the dualshock 3), so the functionality is clearly in place for NGP. Exciting times!

B.K.

I was just checking Gamestop's site. Did the Collector's Edition get a reprint? Their site says there are three stores near me with it in stock.

Onion_Relish said:
I paid full price and I would do it again tomorrow without hesitating. 20 bucks is a steal. Top 3 Best psp game. Believe it.

same here. this is the longest MGS game and well worth the launch price. the amount of voice acting is sick!

So is there any real payoff for finishing the
Chapter 5 Search Missions
? I kinda feel like I've already hit the end of the game and I'm ready to move on to something new, but if there are only a few of these missions and they have some type of nice finale then I wouldn't mind polishing them off.

Overall though I was quite happy with the game. Seemed to me like it did a really good job of capturing the essence of a game series but still making concessions to work well in a portable form. I play on the bus, and the quick little missions were perfect for me to do without losing context when playing for short time periods. The base / personal management was well done, and as I guy who likes stats I found it a nice diversion from the main missions. As usual for a MGS title the massive amount of moves and broad toolset was the highlight of the game, and I appreciated the extra missions that let you just blast away at enemies so I didn't just have to go sneaky all the time. I've never been a fan of Metal Gear stories, but this one actually was quite inoffensive compared to something like MGS4. The tight focus on both a small main plot and a small set of characters really helped in that regard. Controls also worked pretty well for me after just an hour or three in, which was nice as I was a little concerned at the start that that the controls were fiddly with too many options.

Still only the third best portable Metal Gear game though
behind Ac!d, way behind Ac!d 2

TheFightingFish said:
? I kinda feel like I've already hit the end of the game and I'm ready to move on to something new, but if there are only a few of these missions and they have some type of nice finale then I wouldn't mind polishing them off.

Overall though I was quite happy with the game. Seemed to me like it did a really good job of capturing the essence of a game series but still making concessions to work well in a portable form. I play on the bus, and the quick little missions were perfect for me to do without losing context when playing for short time periods. The base / personal management was well done, and as I guy who likes stats I found it a nice diversion from the main missions. As usual for a MGS title the massive amount of moves and broad toolset was the highlight of the game, and I appreciated the extra missions that let you just blast away at enemies so I didn't just have to go sneaky all the time. I've never been a fan of Metal Gear stories, but this one actually was quite inoffensive compared to something like MGS4. The tight focus on both a small main plot and a small set of characters really helped in that regard. Controls also worked pretty well for me after just an hour or three in, which was nice as I was a little concerned at the start that that the controls were fiddly with too many options.

If you reached this far I don't see why not, there's only six(seven?) of these missions
left, but remember to visit Extra Ops 1 using Snake to trigger the last mission, You'll thank me later :)

/XX/

TheFightingFish said:

I think that maybe I'm going a bit off-topic, but this seems the most related thread to ask this; Are any of the two METAL GEAR AC!D games available for download in the PlayStation Store (in whichever region)?

The last information I saw that mentioned something about this question was this:

Tom Bramwell said:
I'll say yes to that idea, but not because it is already running or anything," Kojima told Eurogamer when asked about the possibility of porting the turn-based strategy titles to PSN.

"I'm just saying yes because it's possible, I think it is possible. Sorry to say we don't have specific plans at the moment, but it is possible, yes."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/mg-acid-for-psn-possible-kojima

Anyone knows information more recent about the status of a possible port?

TheFightingFish said:

Keep playing until you finish CH5, it is really worth it. You will be glad you did, as the payoff is great.

ezekial45

Banned
Just a couple questions:

1. Whats the best way to increase my unit levels? I'm playing the post game portion now, and my combat unit is at lvl 62, R&D lvl 62, mess hall lvl 49, medical lvl 44, and intel lvl 61. I feel like i'm really behind, but i'm also near maxed out on space.

2. Are there any guides online that show a complete listing of all the Extra Ops and the requirements to unlock them?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I just picked this up today and happened to view IGNs video review, after that I have one question, is it possible to finish the entire story campaign in solo play? Only reason I ask is IGN reckons there are a few missions where you wished you had a co-op partner.

daffy

Banned
Gen X said:
I just picked this up today and happened to view IGNs video review, after that I have one question, is it possible to finish the entire story campaign in solo play? Only reason I ask is IGN reckons there are a few missions where you wished you had a co-op partner.
It's possible. Boss missions are quite a challenge without co op though.

Gen X said:

yes you can

Gen X said:

I was able to finish the entire story campaign solo. Some of the bosses can be kind of difficult at first, but you can always level up/create new weapons. As long as you don't ignore the R&D aspect and recruit the right people you should do fine.

I wish I could play this from the beginning again. You are really in for a great game. Also, try and master a control scheme the works best for you. For me personally the Action (MGS4) style of controls were the one I found to be most comfortable.

Gen X said:
You can solo all the missions, not just the story ones. You'll just need to equip yourself accordingly.

Gen X

Cheers guys. Haven't progressed much but already played it more and liking it more than Portable Ops, was very disappointed in that.

Any tips for people assigning? The game doesn't really explain much so I am just auto assigning for now.

Gen X said:
Cheers guys. Haven't progressed much but already played it more and liking it more than Portable Ops, was very disappointed in that.

Any tips for people assigning? The game doesn't really explain much so I am just auto assigning for now.

Keep auto assigning till you fill all of you units, by the time that happens you'll have a better grasp of the system so you can assign them accordingly.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Gen X said:

I wish I could play this again for the first time, this game is WAY better than Portable Ops! Maybe better than some of the console games as well... but that's open to debate. Definitely one of the best on the PSP.

As for tips: Just auto assign, you really only need to worry about their stats once you hit your people limit in a category. Just try to fill up every slot with people in the beginning, just having people there will help your cateogory ranks go up. Once you hit your limit in a cateogyr, then assign a person to the Unit where their highest rank is, and remove someone from the bottom of the list.

For example if you recruit a guy with B in Soldier and C in everything else, remove the bottom tiered soldier that you have on your solider list, and replace him with the new guy. That's the general strategy. Some soldiers might have a "skill" that helps in a category, put them in that category, duh. Also if you're close to researching a new technology, it's best to stack your best guys into that category, then change them back after you're done researching.

Gen X

Cheers for those tips. Really trying not to play this too much before I jump on the plane on Friday but I can't help it hahaha. Currently just blown up a security wall with some C4 after the 2nd tank. Loving the extra missions too.

Really glad I bought this now after my PSP gathering dust for over 12 months.

Top Bottom