• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Ridley327

Red Blaster said:
lawl talk about missing the forest for the tress. MGS3 at 60 fps (95% of the time anyway) easily trumps any of these other petty squabbles that I'm reading.
After finding out that Guy Savage was at one point the direction they were going with a potential ZOE3, I am glad that it has been erased from the book of history.

::still bitter::

Don

I'm pretty disappointed about them removing the Nightmare stuff mainly because of the codec that was associated with it. Both the boss survival and secret theatre would have been nice to have too.

It was expected that MGO and Snake vs Monkey wouldn't be included, and the Existence movie wasn't all that great anyway, especially considering how bad the video quality was for it. Also if I remember correctly the order in which certain scenes played out was really weird too.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
They cut the nightmare section? How disappointing. That was a real highlight the first time through (and 100% unexpected).

However, that was using a different graphics engine entirely so I can see why porting it over may have been difficult. Same deal for the Snake on a skateboard bits in MGS2.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Chairhome said:
Just read on CAG that K-Mart will have this game for sale on Black Friday between 5am-11am for $35. Not a huge savings, but man, I kinda wish there was a K-mart near me.
I may go for it since I still have a $20 gaming coupon at Kmart.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
GANGSTERKILLER said:
So there is much more cut off, that's fucking great... This is unacceptable for MGS fans. Why has Kojima given his approval to Bluepoint? I don't understand.

I'm holding on to my PS2 copies for sure.

Blue Submarine No. 6 said:
Why not?

(ftr, I absolutely consider PW "cannon", a full-fledged MGS title - I've put 160 hours into my PSP save, ffs...)

I was expecting a 'console-sized' game, but no, it definitely follows MGS PO's formula, that's all.

Don said:
It was expected that MGO and Snake vs Monkey wouldn't be included, and the Existence movie wasn't all that great anyway, especially considering how bad the video quality was for it. Also if I remember correctly the order in which certain scenes played out was really weird too.
I remember one chapter that had the Volgin beatdown sequence intercut by the scenes from The Fury, weird stuff. The most offending thing for me was watchinggameplay sequences basically shot with Snake wearing Tigerstripe camo ALL THE TIME and gunning people down with an AK, never doing any stealth play whatsoever.

The post has since disappeared from the english Hideoblog archive, but I know I read this and I have no idea why it's gone. Maybe I'm delusional and it never really existed, someone help me out here. Remember that the Japanese release of Subsistence was the end of 2005, and one of the selling points was that it would have the MGS4 TGS trailer on the disc? If I recall right, they had trouble getting the trailer on there because the DVD ran out of space or something, and they found a compromise, which I guess was the weird compression that had a line split down the middle of the video or something. I wish they had at least kept the Secret Theater clips, compression be damned.

GANGSTERKILLER said:
So there is much more cut off, that's fucking great... This is unacceptable. Why has Kojima given his approval to Bluepoint? I don't understand.
They could have just ported over bare-bones Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater U.S. releases, you know. I wish they went 110% too but who knows how HD refreshes factor into the big scheme of game development or whatnot...

Ridley327

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
I remember one chapter that had the Volgin beatdown sequence intercut by the scenes from The Fury, weird stuff. The most offending thing for me was watchinggameplay sequences basically shot with Snake wearing Tigerstripe camo ALL THE TIME and gunning people down with an AK, never doing any stealth play whatsoever.

The post has since disappeared from the english Hideoblog archive, but I know I read this and I have no idea why it's gone. Maybe I'm delusional and it never really existed, someone help me out here. Remember that the Japanese release of Subsistence was the end of 2005, and one of the selling points was that it would have the MGS4 TGS trailer on the disc? If I recall right, they had trouble getting the trailer on there because the DVD ran out of space or something, and they found a compromise, which I guess was the weird compression that had a line split down the middle of the video or something. I wish they had at least kept the Secret Theater clips, compression be damned.
I don't think the proper MGS4 trailer was ever a part of MGS3:S; they did have the announcement trailer with Snake and Raiden fighting over who got to be the star, if that's what you're thinking of.

CosmicGroinPull said:
I was expecting a 'console-sized' game, but no, it definitely follows MGS PO's formula, that's all.

Console-sized? It's the largest MGS by far, imo. Plot-wise, I don't think it's as robust as the console games, but the gameplay is pretty awesome. I love the variety of gadgets and they way they unlock new approaches to the missions. The way I played the game after 70 hours was completely different to what I was doing at 20.

Is it that you find it too broken up due to the shorted missions? That was a concession to the handheld format but as a whole I don't think it's a bad thing. The later missions can go on pretty long.

dark10x

fuzzyreactor said:
can anyone confirm what all has been cut from MGS2

so far i just have:

1. Awesome rain effects

lice are in my game
Wait, what? The rain still looks awesome. I'll have to compare the two to see if they've been modified, but it didn't stand out.

So there is much more cut off, that's fucking great... This is unacceptable. Why has Kojima given his approval to Bluepoint? I don't understand.
The packages here are still more complete than the original releases, though, and some of those changes make sense. I'm disappointed by the removal of the nightmare, for instance, but that was a totally different graphics engine that may not have been easy to port (or worth the effort). Snake VS Monkey was a licensing issue (couldn't show up on XBOX). They wouldn't bring MGO back as it doesn't make sense to support it again (it's not really good enough in 2011 either) and the Existence movie would not have fit on the 360 discs.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
GANGSTERKILLER said:
You should, it's disappointing PS3 isn't backwards compatible with PS2 games. My 60 GB died a long time ago. I will never sell my MGS games.

I still have a PS2 and also, PCSX2 works well on my computer.

Ridley327 said:
I don't think the proper MGS4 trailer was ever a part of MGS3:S; they did have the announcement trailer with Snake and Raiden fighting over who got to be the star, if that's what you're thinking of.
It was the TGS 2005 trailer, and it was on the 3rd disc with the Existence cut of the game.

I just remembered that I ran into codec lag for MGS2 Substance back on the PS2 version too, on my pre-slim PS2. Funny thing was that the Substance cut never had codec lag on a slim PS2 so I wonder what's up.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
fuzzyreactor said:

so far i just have:

1. Awesome rain effects

lice are in my game
Rain looked pretty much the same to me. In fact I think they kept all the effect 1:1 even if it sometimes caused a slowdown (like in that one scene in the MGS2 intro where the car beams on the bridge shine into the camera) OK, that's the only place I noticed a slowdown, but it shows they didn't sacrifice effects.

vid

It's worth nothing that MOST copies of Subsistence didn't include the Existence movie either. Remember, that was on a third disc, which was only included with Subsistence Limited Edition.

Ridley327

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
It was the TGS 2005 trailer, and it was on the 3rd disc with the Existence cut of the game.

I just remembered that I ran into codec lag for MGS2 Substance back on the PS2 version too, on my pre-slim PS2. Funny thing was that the Substance cut never had codec lag on a slim PS2 so I wonder what's up.
The Slims were better equipped to handle dual layer games like MGS2:S.

fuzzyreactor said:

so far i just have:

1. Awesome rain effects

lice are in my game
2. Terrible skateboarding minigame

Is nothing sacred, Konami? Next you're going to tell me they cut that bizarre scene where Eva pulls out the tracking device behind the waterfall if you fail to dig it out with a fork.

dark10x said:
The packages here are still more complete than the original releases, though, and some of those changes make sense. I'm disappointed by the removal of the nightmare, for instance, but that was a totally different graphics engine that may not have been easy to port (or worth the effort). Snake VS Monkey was a licensing issue (couldn't show up on XBOX). They wouldn't bring MGO back as it doesn't make sense to support it again (it's not really good enough in 2011 either) and the Existence movie would not have fit on the 360 discs.
This explains a lot, Snake VS Monkey was funny (Ape Escape was a nice PSX game!). Shame this collection has to come to 360... And this says a gamer with a Xbox.

icarus-daedelus said:
2. Terrible skateboarding minigame

Is nothing sacred, Konami? Next you're going to tell me they cut that bizarre scene where Eva pulls out the tracking device behind the waterfall if you fail to dig it out with a fork.
Yeah, what's next? Olga with shaved armpits? :(

vid said:
It's worth nothing that MOST copies of Subsistence didn't include the Existence movie either. Remember, that was on a third disc, which was only included with Subsistence Limited Edition.
It has a red cover. I still have a sealed copy.

Ridley327

GANGSTERKILLER said:
This explains a lot, Snake VS Monkey was funny (Ape Escape was a nice PS2 game!). Shame this collection has to come to 360... And this says a gamer with a Xbox.

What's next? Olga with shaved armpits? :(
Whatever misgivings I could have had with them dropping the second disc's content of MGS3:S instantly vanishes when you actually play the game. It's miraculous how well it looks and runs and really does a credit to just how immensely talented KojiPro were during last gen.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
electroshockwave said:
Is that delay when the codec screen opens up just in the 360 version?

For the PS3 version;

- MGS2 has a delay when you answer codec calls
- MGS3 has a delay when you press SELECT to go into your codec, at least it seems much longer than the PS2 version

dark10x

Good lord, I'm watching the Giant Bomb QL on this and I can't BELIEVE how awful Patrick is at figuring this out. Him spending 20 minutes on the roof of the Big Shell reminds me of Opa Opa getting stuck in the bathroom at the beginning of Silent Hill 2.

How the hell did he even play games back then?

For the PS3 version;

- MGS2 has a delay when you answer codec calls
- MGS3 has a delay when you press SELECT to go into your codec, at least it seems much longer than the PS2 version
No no no no, not at all. The PS2 versions take just as long or longer. In fact, the first release of MGS3 had a lot of problems with reading the disc on a lot of systems and opening the codec could long enough that the audio would stop until it finished. It was pretty bad.

Based on the above Quick Look, however, the 360 version takes longer to get into the codec screen than the PS3 version.

XOMTOR

Kagari said:
I'm holding on to my PS2 copies for sure.

Same here, don't think I'd ever sell 'em (still have my PS2 thankfully). I'll definitely pick up the collection when it drops in price a bit. Not paying $50 for versions that have stuff missing. No biggie, too many other games to play right now anyway.

How does MGS3 run with PCSX2? Last time I looked into it, there were issues with the sound or something.

Ridley327

dark10x said:
Good lord, I'm watching the Giant Bomb QL on this and I can't BELIEVE how awful Patrick is at figuring this out. Him spending 20 minutes on the roof of the Big Shell reminds me of Opa Opa getting stuck in the bathroom at the beginning of Silent Hill 2.

How the hell did he even play games back then?
Like reviewers actually played games back then. :D

Ridley327 said:
Whatever misgivings I could have had with them dropping the second disc's content of MGS3:S instantly vanishes when you actually play the game. It's miraculous how well it looks and runs and really does a credit to just how immensely talented KojiPro were during last gen.
Do you remember The Sorrow part? Back then it looks almost next-gen. I was blown away by my PS2.

dark10x

Ridley327 said:
Like reviewers actually played games back then. :D
It's not even about reviewing, just playing. It just blows my mind how much trouble they had with it.

When I see professional game reviewers who play games constantly struggle to figure out something this simple, it really makes it clear why games have become so simple these days.

Grip in SotC remaster... I thought there was something difficult about it I don't remember from the original, regarding losing grip or stabbing. So I'm not crazy? Where can I see more info?

randomwab

What the fuck is this shit. In MGS2, at the start of the Plant chapter after using the node, coming out of the codec usually triggers the guards to slowly begin waking up. However, I just played that part, and coming out of the codec had both guards fully awake and pointing in my direction. What the fuck?

randomwab said:
What the fuck is this shit. In MGS2, at the start of the Plant chapter after using the node, coming out of the codec usually triggers the guards to slowly begin waking up. However, I just played that part, and coming out of the codec had both guards fully awake and pointing in my direction. What the fuck?

Maybe some weird timing thing? I guess the node may not stop time? Because it worked as usual when I tried it last night.

Top Bottom