• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Has there been any information on whether or not Japanese Peacewalker HD will be able to play multiplayer with the US version? MGS4's MP was segregated by region so I want to make sure that's not the case this time.

So, for those of you playing Peace Walker for the first time, what on your thoughts? Do you think it deserved the initial title of MGS5? And, damned, that whole opening sequence in PW is so well directed and acted.

Falcs

Banned
Yes!!! My US version just arrived from Amazon!
Can't fricken wait to get home from work!!!!!@$!%#!^!@#$!@^#$$&@$%!@#!@#$!@#%!@#$^%!@#$^!@#$!@$#%^@#$^!@%!@#$!@#%!@#$!@#%#%&^#$*&!@#$%!@#%!@#%@#$^$%&#$^#$*@#$%@#$^&@^#$^!#$^@#$%!@#%$!@#$%^@#$&@#$%@#$^@#$%^@#$^#@$@^#$^@#$%1

Tomasooie

i_am_not_jon_ames said:
Sorry if this has been covered but has the MGS3
"nightmare"
been cut?
That's what I've heard. Supposedly it's on a completely different game engine, so it wouldn't make much sense to spend time porting it over.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
SpaceBridge said:
So, for those of you playing Peace Walker for the first time, what on your thoughts? Do you think it deserved the initial title of MGS5? And, damned, that whole opening sequence in PW is so well directed and acted.

Been posting impressions here and there in the thread myself, but yes I am pretty damn pleased.

The game succeeds at delivering a constant stream of new mechanics on a very regular basis. Base operations continue to expand, equipment options and variety continually develops, improves, and creates a compelling incentive to keep playing(well beyond the scope of even the core plot). Effectively this game re-introduces the VR mission concept and inserts them into the core experience in a very cohesive way(without feeling like a completely segregated bonus feature). Everything is persistent and ties in amazingly well, progress feels constant, and the core narrative is just one aspect of the game.

As for being MGS5? Yea, I guess. The story is just as expansive as any of the MGS games, but don't expect any new revelations. It's really just one component of what is easily the largest Metal Gear experience yet. You get lots of callbacks and it clearly is a continuation to the events of MGS3...very clearly. Closing in on 30 hours and am only halfway through the narrative campaign. Much of that time is dedicated to everything else going on however, but this is a HUGE experience and highly addictive, and again everything feeds into each other quite well.

Only real dissapointment is the Outer Ops mode. Really poorly structured and executed. But the narrative missions, the Extra Ops, the Co-op, and the item creation stuff...awesome.

The sheer fact that I am letting Skyrim sit while I continue to play this speaks volumes(well waiting for the Skyrim 360 patch, but still!)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
jett said:
Yeah, there's no point to keep playing after you get an alert on extreme.

BTW playing MGS2 on extreme is a must if only for the bosses. They all get new patterns and attacks. In the case of the
Metal Gear Ray battle, you have to defeat twenty of them
. BTW you die in two hits.

I was disappointed that MGS3's bosses remained the same on extreme.

Olga was a bitch and why I never completed Extreme in MGS2:Sub ever. I'm a pussy but being shot with no cover while she gets a bunch of cover and you have to first person shoot her was too much bullshit for me. :(

jett

D-Member
TheSeks said:
Olga was a bitch and why I never completed Extreme in MGS2:Sub ever. I'm a pussy but being shot with no cover while she gets a bunch of cover and you have to first person shoot her was too much bullshit for me. :(

lolz it took me about 50~ tries to learn how to beat each boss in extreme. Never felt cheated though. Olga btw is the easiest. It's tricky at first because you can't shoot out her lights or the cloth, but it's doable.

Brandon F

jett said:
lolz it took me about 50~ tries to learn how to beat each boss in extreme. Never felt cheated though. Olga btw is the easiest. It's tricky at first because you can't shoot out her lights or the cloth, but it's doable.

Yea, mostly loved all those fights on Extreme. Real challenging, but satisfying. Spent the longest on the Metal Gear Ray battle I think, they never stop coming.

Oh and the Solidus choking bullshit. The biggest problem with the 'Extreme' experience by far.

Falcs

Banned
Tomasooie said:
That's what I've heard. Supposedly it's on a completely different game engine, so it wouldn't make much sense to spend time porting it over.

Noooooooooo!! That means they've probably cut out the codec conversations between Para-medic and Snake about
vampires
too.

I've got a question...
I've never played Peace Walker, but I have seen the first few mins of it and I noticed Big Boss has a scar on his chest. I recently watched a "Full-story-mode" version of Portable Ops on Youtube coz I didn't really enjoy playing it but I wanted to know the story.
The thing is I don't remember seeing anything about Snake getting a scar. Did I miss something? Or will this be explained in Peace Walker. I'm too scared to google it coz I don't want to spoil anything in Peace Walker before I play it.

Brandon F

Falcs00 said:
Noooooooooo!! That means they've probably cut out the codec conversations between Para-medic and Snake about
vampires
too.

I've got a question...
I've never played Peace Walker, but I have seen the first few mins of it and I noticed Big Boss has a scar on his chest. I recently watched a "Full-story-mode" version of Portable Ops on Youtube coz I didn't really enjoy playing it but I wanted to know the story.
The thing is I don't remember seeing anything about Snake getting a scar. Did I miss something? Or will this be explained in Peace Walker. I'm too scared to google it coz I don't want to spoil anything in Peace Walker before I play it.

Been wondering that too and it has yet to come up in my play of PW(Act 3 out of 5 so far). I think it's a retcon thing added as it is sort of hinted Snake already had the scar in MGS3...but no explanation yet, or even a single reference to it.

Brandon F said:
Been wondering that too and it has yet to come up in my play of PW(Act 3 out of 5 so far). I think it's a retcon thing added as it is sort of hinted Snake already had the scar in MGS3...but no explanation yet, or even a single reference to it.

I somehow faintly remember a clip where he gets it (MGS3 Ending Spoiler)
after the fight with the Boss.
I'll try and find it when I get home, must be on YouTube somewhere.

-Winnie-

Brandon F said:

It's not a retcon and is kind of explained in Peace Walker.
Depends on how you handle the torture sequence.

Brandon F

DualShadow said:
I somehow faintly remember a clip where he gets it (MGS3 Ending Spoiler)
after the fight with the Boss.
I'll try and find it when I get home, must be on YouTube somewhere.

Yea its possible.
Though I swear I saw he had it already when PW does the animated flashback to 'The Boss' fight from MGS3. Again, maybe I am seeing just seeing things

-Winnie- said:
It's not a retcon and is kind of explained in Peace Walker.
Depends on how you handle the torture sequence.

Ok not that far yet. But I suppose it will be explained.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Tomasooie said:

MGS series is just too ahead of its time, lol.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
jett said:

It was wayyyyy too much for me. I'll stick to hard and no alerts, at least I don't have to avoid two bullets while popping in and out of first person view to kill her. >_>

AntMurda

I'm a huge Metal Gear fan and consider Metal Gear Solid 3 one of my top ten games of all-tiime. But replaying MGS2 HD is really a chore. The controls / camera are just awkward and cumbersome. It literally feels like you are driving with a blindfold on sometimes.

luka said:
Not out yet. I'm still waiting to be able to preorder that LE.
Ah, I am wondering about Peace Walker as that is out already. I am still waiting for them to ship my CE for MGS2 + 3. :/

PS: Anyone have an idea on the surround sound issue during cinematics I posted earlier (only left rear speaker having sound, nothing on the right rear)?

TUROK

Man, I need a comparison between the 360 and PS3 versions. I heard on here that the AA for the PS3 version looks great, but apparently the 360 version's AA sucks.

Ace_235 said:
When you 1st start mgs3 what does it make a difference which metal gear you pick as your favorite?
You will play as Raiden for the whole game if you choose MGS2 and the whole storyline will change because of this. ;p

AntMurda said:
I'm a huge Metal Gear fan and consider Metal Gear Solid 3 one of my top ten games of all-tiime. But replaying MGS2 HD is really a chore. The controls / camera are just awkward and cumbersome. It literally feels like you are driving with a blindfold on sometimes.

wat. MGS3 has exactly the same controls as MGS2.

Supa

Is it worth picking up this Metal Gear Solid HD Collection if your first encounter with the series was Metal Gear Solid 4?

With the previous 3 games it was more me looking at others play, so I could watch the cutscenes. But that was so long ago, and I liked playing the 4th game by myself a lot, so now I'm worrying if the possibly outdated controls would make me stop playing the game or not.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
rvy said:
People are crazy. Crazy to the point of taking down a harrier with a SOCOM.

24gmxwo.gif
where is this harrier vs socom video!??!?!?!

Yazuka

Falcs00 said:
vampires
too.

No, its still in. I got that conversation yesterday while playing. Just captured a live bat in the cave before The Pain. Then contacted Para-Medic.
But I'm a bit dissapointed that they removed the nightmare part, never did that in the original so I was hoping to do it now. =/

Falcs

Banned
Ah, that's good.
Well then they've surely removed the other conversations that you can have in the cell after you've had the
nightmare
. - Do I really need to spoiler it??

Falcs00 said:
Yes!!! My US version just arrived from Amazon!
Can't fricken wait to get home from work!!!!!@$!%#!^!@#$!@^#$$&@$%!@#!@#$!@#%!@#$^%!@#$^!@#$!@$#%^@#$^!@%!@#$!@#%!@#$!@#%#%&^#$*&!@#$%!@#%!@#%@#$^$%&#$^#$*@#$%@#$^&@^#$^!#$^@#$%!@#%$!@#$%^@#$&@#$%@#$^@#$%^@#$^#@$@^#$^@#$%1
Wow, so Amazon US will ship to Australia, hell maybe even the UK, but Amazon UK won't ship games to the US? WTF?! BOOO!

Daigoro

Yazuka said:
No, its still in. I got that conversation yesterday while playing. Just captured a live bat in the cave before The Pain. Then contacted Para-Medic.
But I'm a bit dissapointed that they removed the nightmare part, never did that in the original so I was hoping to do it now. =/

how do you capture a live bat? mousetrap?

Brandon F said:
Been posting impressions here and there in the thread myself, but yes I am pretty damn pleased.

The game succeeds at delivering a constant stream of new mechanics on a very regular basis. Base operations continue to expand, equipment options and variety continually develops, improves, and creates a compelling incentive to keep playing(well beyond the scope of even the core plot). Effectively this game re-introduces the VR mission concept and inserts them into the core experience in a very cohesive way(without feeling like a completely segregated bonus feature). Everything is persistent and ties in amazingly well, progress feels constant, and the core narrative is just one aspect of the game.

As for being MGS5? Yea, I guess. The story is just as expansive as any of the MGS games, but don't expect any new revelations. It's really just one component of what is easily the largest Metal Gear experience yet. You get lots of callbacks and it clearly is a continuation to the events of MGS3...very clearly. Closing in on 30 hours and am only halfway through the narrative campaign. Much of that time is dedicated to everything else going on however, but this is a HUGE experience and highly addictive, and again everything feeds into each other quite well.

Only real dissapointment is the Outer Ops mode. Really poorly structured and executed. But the narrative missions, the Extra Ops, the Co-op, and the item creation stuff...awesome.

The sheer fact that I am letting Skyrim sit while I continue to play this speaks volumes(well waiting for the Skyrim 360 patch, but still!)

Good info.

So, is it still hard as fuck in the boss fights when playing alone? Or more reasonable?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just realised this isn't out until next year here. I Play-Asiaed that shit so fast.

Top Bottom