• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection |OT| The Naked, the Solid and the Lightning

Santar

Verboten said:
Yeah, by that wikia page and various people in this thread.
That's a real shame.
Why can't they do things properly when redoing games in "HD"?
Is it really too much to ask to get the entire game?

I'm still not over the grip meter problem in the Ico/Shadow HD remakes, but this omission isn't a game-breaker. The slowdown during the rain/explosions is. Even more reason for me to never let go of the originals.

I probably won't pick up this game now. If this port is indeed missing those rain effects and the lice (never mind the missing Guy Savage content, Duel mode, Snake VS Monkey, Secret Theatre and Snakeboarding) I'll stick with my original copies.

Shame, I was really looking forward to it too. Here's hoping that we eventually get properly emulated PS2 versions running in HD on the PS4, until then, I'll carry on playing in SD.

Thanks for nothing Konami/Bluepoint!

Are people really that angry about having the potential of a couple of missing effects? I have a hard time understanding how someone would prefer the originals... unless they are stuck with SDTVs.
I think these ports are amazing and they look very very good to me.

I also had no trouble with the grip meter in SOTC, felt about the same to me honestly. Definitely was not a gamebreaker or anything. I think people are just being to nitpicky about the minuscule things. I played through the rainy section of MGS2 the other day and it looked great, though if the lice effect is missing in the Fortune scene when I get there, that will be a disappointment for me as that is pretty major in my opinion. I would still prefer to play it with such an effect missing than having to play the SD version on my SDTV though. ;P

If you're oblivious to the grip meter problem in Shadow of the Colossus, then I can't reason with you. :) With these HD remakes, they should really be masterpiece editions that omit nothing and solely improve visual quality. I'd love to agree with you, but I don't want to make some kind of compromise when playing these games that I love and adore so much. I wouldn't have minded waiting another full year for them to get everything perfect. Kojima's minutia and attention to detail in these games are what made them so phenomenal when they were first released. I don't fault Bluepoint, I fault Konami.

Is the grip problem primarily in the hard difficulty mode or was it prevalent in the normal mode too? I breezed through normal mode without much difficulty (save for the last boss perhaps), and that was the only reason why I am saying it didn't feel much different to me. I haven't played the original in a while so I did not do a direct comparison obviously, but it just did not hinder my ability to defeat the colossus at all.

Tizoc

Thanks for the links, seeing that the game was canceled, is prob. the reason it removed?
EDIT: BTW, a bit off topic, but does the PAL ver. of MGS1 have anything the NTSC ver. doesn't have?

Verboten said:
If you're oblivious to the grip meter problem in Shadow of the Colossus, then I can't reason with you. :) With these HD remakes, they should really be masterpiece editions that omit nothing and solely improve visual quality. I'd love to agree with you, but I don't want to make some kind of compromise when playing these games that I love and adore so much. I wouldn't have minded waiting another full year for them to get everything perfect. Kojima's minutia and attention to detail in these games are what made them so phenomenal when they were first released. I don't fault Bluepoint, I fault Konami.

This is why I don't really like these HD remasters. Since they're ports rather than emulations, there's always going to be something in each game that is just off. I want the original game rendered in HD, not an imitation.

I want to see PS2 games get the Virtual Console treatment (perfect emulation of the original ROM/ISO, but rendered in HD ALA N64 VC games being rendered in 4x the resolution)

What they're doing with the Silent Hill HD Collection is nothing short of a complete bastardisation.

Cartman86

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
This is why I don't really like these HD remasters. Since they're ports rather than emulations, there's always going to be something in each game that is just off.

I want to see PS2 games get the Virtual Console treatment (perfect emulation, but rendered in HD ALA N64 VC games being rendered in 4x the resolution)

But trophies!!!

Tizoc said:
Thanks for the links, seeing that the game was canceled, is prob. the reason it removed?
EDIT: BTW, a bit off topic, but does the PAL ver. of MGS1 have anything the NTSC ver. doesn't have?

European Extreme (Game Over if seen) and I bet the real reason why the Guy Savage content was removed was because it ran on a completely different game engine (which would take a lot of time to port over for this collection, so it was probably dropped for time and budget reasons. Same goes for Snakeboarding - which was based on Evolution Skateboarding's engine)

Tizoc

I did not know about Snakeboarding...AND THEY REMOVED IT FROM THE COLLECTION?!?!?!?!
CURSE YOU LICENSING/TIME CONSTRAINTS!!!!!
EDIT: Wait we own MGS2 Sub on PS2, now I feel like firing it up just to play that.

BTW MGS1 PAL runs 50 FPS/Hz right? Does this affect any part of the game?

Tizoc said:
I did not know about Snakeboarding...AND THEY REMOVED IT FROM THE COLLECTION?!?!?!?!
EDIT: Wait we own MGS2 Sub on PS2, now I feel like firing it up just to play that.

No specific part is affected in particular, but of course you'll get a worse experience overall since it runs slower.

Tizoc

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Will prob. get this collection this week unless something else I want is out.

Yamibito

Tizoc said:

Snakeboarding is garbage though lol

aaaaaaaaaand got my LE today! (^___^)

Artbook was totally worth it IF you're a fan. At first I didn't dig that it was just sort of mostly promo art splashes, then I was delighted to see there is indeed actual character concept art, which is all I ask for when it comes to artbooks. Stuff is the epitome of cool!
Still wish it had MGS in there though =/
Any places to buy a good proper Metal Gear Solid artbook?

rvy

Banned
Did KP confirm that the JPN releases have Japanese voice-overs? Because Substance and Subsistence got English voice-overs when they were released in Japan land.

Yagharek

Just out of interest, the MGS3
nightmare
is confirmed as cut ... how about the Subsistence mode of Ape Escape where you had to capture the monkeys in the jungle? I assume that was cut too. :(

Erigu

rvy said:
Did KP confirm that the JPN releases have Japanese voice-overs?
Yes, they did.

Substance and Subsistence got English voice-overs when they were released in Japan land.
Substance did, but not Subsistence.

RandomVince said:
how about the Subsistence mode of Ape Escape where you had to capture the monkeys in the jungle? I assume that was cut too. :(
Yup. That, and the Boss Rush mode. And the Secret Theater, too, I believe.

Cartman86

Banned
RandomVince said:
Just out of interest, the MGS3
nightmare
is confirmed as cut ... how about the Subsistence mode of Ape Escape where you had to capture the monkeys in the jungle? I assume that was cut too. :(

CUT from MGS3
Nightmare
Snake vs. Monkey
*Boss Survival Mode
*Secret Theater (funny alternate cutscenes)
*Metal Gear Online (MGS3 version)
*Existence Disc (cut scenes from the game made into a movie)

*from Subsistance version

rvy

Banned
Erigu said:
Only the Japanese voice acting though, I believe. Don't expect a bilingual version (not saying you do, but just in case).
I don't, I just always wanted to check out the Japanese voice-acting. I've finished both games more times than I can count, some change would be nice.

Erigu

rvy said:
I just always wanted to check out the Japanese voice-acting. I've finished both games more times than I can count, some change would be nice.
I hope you'll enjoy it; I always found it to be far superior to the English dub.
Too bad the collection doesn't include both tracks, actually, but I have no idea how much room there's left on the Blu-ray (I imagine the Xbox 360 version is a lost cause in that area anyway)...

Tizoc

Cartman86 said:
CUT from MGS3
Nightmare
Snake vs. Monkey
*Boss Survival Mode

Wait the Collection doesn't have Secret Theater? LAME if true...

Playing through Peace Walker now. It controls really well with MGS4's settings, is fluid and looks great (for its PSP origins), but this is definitely not a 'full fledged MGS game'. Having to constantly resupply during boss fights is also a major annoyance. Also, too much MGS3 milking. Well, I'm only half-way through, so I might change my mind.

Btw, what I wouldn't give to see Cecile's cutscene fully rendered....drool

ScOULaris

Cartman86 said:
CUT from MGS3
Nightmare
Snake vs. Monkey
*Boss Survival Mode

I can understand the omission of Guy Savage (different engine), but why Boss Survival and Snake vs Monkey? That pisses me off more than anything.

I see that Secret Theater is missing, but is the regular theater mode at least available after beating the game? I will be crushed if that was removed.

Also, what was changed by patch 1.01? I'm still holding off on it for fear that it may have caused some of the visual discrepancies that those rain/lice pics show.

randomwab

Cartman86 said:
CUT from MGS3
Nightmare
Snake vs. Monkey
*Boss Survival Mode

We were never going to get MGO.
and I cry because it's the best version of that game and I loved it

Also, Snake vs Monkey is probably gone because the collection is multiplatform. Ape Escape is a Sony owned franchise, so they probably thought it'd be easier to just rip it out.

Sad to see Guy Savage was cut, but all things considered I'm glad we still got the main theme tune in there.

People wondering about why Snake has the Boss's scar in PW? MGS3 and PW spoilers:

In MGS3 the Boss had a snake-shaped scar on her body because of the in-battle c-section she had in order to give birth to Ocelot. Her child was taken away but the scar serves as a reminder that she was a mother. Snake has the same scar in PW, and we first assume it to be a self-inflicted reminder of her, like the bandana which has emotional significance to him. After being imprisoned and tortured by Strangelove, Snake removes the 'scar', revealing it to be a razor-thin saw, taped to his body that he uses to escape his cell, a safety measure in case he ever got captured again.

rvy

Banned
Erigu said:
I hope you'll enjoy it; I always found it to be far superior to the English dub.
Too bad the collection doesn't include both tracks, actually, but I have no idea how much room there's left on the Blu-ray (I imagine the Xbox 360 version is a lost cause in that area anyway)...
I only have the MGS 2 demo to go on, but I feel the same way. Not to mention Raiden is going to sound much better. Western people realized that Raiden wasn't Snake as soon as he opened his mouth.

Yamibito

ScOULaris said:
I can understand the omission of Guy Savage (different engine), but why Boss Survival and Snake vs Monkey? That pisses me off more than anything.

I see that Secret Theater is missing, but is the regular theater mode at least available after beating the game? I will be crushed if that was removed.

Also, what was changed by patch 1.01? I'm still holding off on it for fear that it may have caused some of the visual discrepancies that those rain/lice pics show.
Snake Vs Monkey is pretty obvious as Ape Escape is a Sony Franchise, many issues arise from that alone.

Erigu

Tizoc said:
Wait the Collection doesn't have Secret Theater? LAME if true...
I imagine the issue was that those were pre-rendered videos...

randomwab said:
nake vs Monkey is probably gone because the collection is multiplatform. Ape Escape is a Sony owned franchise, so they probably thought it'd be easier to just rip it out.
Most likely, yeah... But it's annoying that they wouldn't keep it for the PlayStation 3 version (after all, the Skateboarding was missing from the Xbox version, back then, I believe, right?).
And wasn't there a Banana Camo, by the way? What happened to that one, then?

Erigu

Tizoc said:
What would be the best way to have them look good on currenct gen consoles?
Re-render them, I guess?
I imagine that would be pretty easy (far easier than remaking the opening movies, for instance, anyway)... supposing they kept the data from back then.

Erigu said:
I imagine the issue was that those were pre-rendered videos...

That didn't stop Bluepoint from making the GOW Collection. They could've just done a basic upscaling job if they didn't have the original assets used to make them anymore.

Erigu said:
Most likely, yeah... But it's annoying that they wouldn't keep it for the PlayStation 3 version (after all, the Skateboarding was missing from the Xbox version, back then, I believe, right?).
And wasn't there a Banana Camo, by the way? What happened to that one, then?

It was probably cut because you'd have people complaining about how the PS3 version was getting more content than the 360 version.

Erigu

Nuclear Muffin said:
That didn't stop Bluepoint from making the GOW Collection. They could've just done a basic upscaling job if they didn't have the original assets used to make them anymore.
I believe that's what they did for the opening movies, yes, but I wonder what kind of resolution the Secret Theater videos were encoded at... They were first uploaded on the official site, if I remember well? How good/bad did they look, in the game?
(by the way, I believe somebody said earlier that the "snake eating" video looked pretty awful, in the HD Collection)

It was probably cut because you'd have people complaining about how the PS3 version was getting more content than the 360 version.
Yeah, I guess, but like I said, there would be a precedent anyway...
Ah, well.

Erigu said:
I believe that's what they did for the opening movies, yes, but I wonder what kind of resolution the Secret Theater videos were encoded at... They were first uploaded on the official site, if I remember well? How good/bad did they look, in the game?
(by the way, I believe somebody said earlier that the "snake eating" video looked pretty awful, in the HD Collection).

From what I remember, they were the same resolution/quality as the other videos used in the game. I don't remember them looking noticeably worse.

ScOULaris

But is regular theater mode still in? I don't see it listed in the menu, but I'm hoping that it will be available after I play through the game. I don't see why that would be removed, since it lets you view real-time cinematics. No upscaling issues there.

Yagharek

Itchy//Tasty said:
Sad to see Guy Savage was cut, but all things considered I'm glad we still got the main theme tune in there.

People wondering about why Snake has the Boss's scar in PW? MGS3 and PW spoilers:

In MGS3 the Boss had a snake-shaped scar on her body because of the in-battle c-section she had in order to give birth to Ocelot. Her child was taken away but the scar serves as a reminder that she was a mother. Snake has the same scar in PW, and we first assume it to be a self-inflicted reminder of her, like the bandana which has emotional significance to him. After being imprisoned and tortured by Strangelove, Snake removes the 'scar', revealing it to be a razor-thin saw, taped to his body that he uses to escape his cell, a safety measure in case he ever got captured again.

Regarding the spoilers - I saw that on an episode of MacGuyver last week.

CosmicGroinPull said:
Playing through Peace Walker now. It controls really well with MGS4's settings, is fluid and looks great (for its PSP origins), but this is definitely not a 'full fledged MGS game'. Having to constantly resupply during boss fights is also a major annoyance. Also, too much MGS3 milking. Well, I'm only half-way through, so I might change my mind.
Why not?

(ftr, I absolutely consider PW "cannon", a full-fledged MGS title - I've put 160 hours into my PSP save, ffs...)

lawl talk about missing the forest for the tress. MGS3 at 60 fps (95% of the time anyway) easily trumps any of these other petty squabbles that I'm reading.

Chairhome

Just read on CAG that K-Mart will have this game for sale on Black Friday between 5am-11am for $35. Not a huge savings, but man, I kinda wish there was a K-mart near me.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Cartman86 said:
CUT from MGS3
Nightmare
Snake vs. Monkey
*Boss Survival Mode

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Top Bottom