• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metallica holds contest for a local band to open 5 shows on their tour: Winner is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local H.

Granted, the Chicago alt-rock boom of the '90s was a while ago now, but calling a band with a certified gold record a ”local" act seems like a bit of a misnomer. Sure, Local H is a ”local band" in the sense that it's a band with the word ”local" in its name, but it's not a local band in the sense that its 1996 hit ”Bound For The Floor" has been used as the soundtrack for motorcycle crash montages on America's Funniest Home Videos. That's an entire nation of uncles breaking femurs on their Yamahas, thanks.

Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich acknowledged the ambiguity of the distinction on Chicago classic-rock station 97.9 The Loop this morning, saying, ”I know that they are obviously local hometown heroes in Chicago and Local H has obviously been on my radar on and off for 20 years, so to have them come and join this summer at our stadium run and play five shows is gonna be awesome." So basically, anything that's not a stadium-level band is local as far as Metallica is concerned—either that, or Local H has gamed the system quite admirably. Regardless, it should have plenty of material to draw from on its five-city opening stint, considering it's released eight studio albums in its nearly 30 years of existence.

It seems rather hilarious that Metallica would give the "plucky underdog band" slot to a band that to me, has nearly as much notoriety as the bands they picked for the non-local slots on their tour (Avenged Sevenfold, Gojira, Volbeat). Certainly, "Bound to the Floor" was probably a bigger hit song than anything the other bands have produced on the charts.

Ah well, I guess we can all learn to accept it. This is probably the best reason to show up at a Metallica show anyway!

Local H is one of my favorite bands. I've seen them live 25+ times and they always put on an awesome show. If you are going to Metallica be sure to show up in time to see these guys.

SoulUnison

Banned
I've been a metalhead for nearly 30 years and have never heard of this band. So...

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Welp, close up shop. Some guy on the internet has never heard of a band, therefore nobody should care.
Seriously, I can't figure out the point of this post or how you'd expect it to get a positive reaction.

An old friend of mine was a huge Local H fan and has seen them countless times. They were also a regular act at this bar/club at my college. I never got into them myself.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
So what's your point?
Local H is fantastic. Seen them many times. They're not metal, though.

Metallica has had some pretty soft bands open for them who weren't even thrown in because they were local. I went to a show that had Candlebox playing.

Recommend me the two best Local H albums, and I'll give them a spin!

Pack Up the Cats
Here Comes the Zoo

PUTC is the absolute must listen and is my favorite rock record ever. Some would pick As Good As Dead over Here Comes the Zoo because it is the biggest album, but I think HCTZ beats it out.

pje122

Pack Up the Cats
Here Comes the Zoo

PUTC is the absolute must listen and is my favorite rock record ever. Some would pick As Good As Dead over Here Comes the Zoo because it is the biggest album, but I think HCTZ beats it out.
In my opinion As Good As Dead is by far their best album.

So what's your point?
Local H is fantastic. Seen them many times. They're not metal, though.

Welp, close up shop. Some guy on the internet has never heard of a band, therefore nobody should care.
Seriously, I can't figure out the point of this post or how you'd expect it to get a positive reaction.
My point, and I certainly don't need a positive reaction, is this is all a matter of perspective. I've never heard of these guys and I suspect I'm not alone among Metallica fans.

akira28

My point, and I certainly don't need a positive reaction, is this is all a matter of perspective. I've never heard of these guys and I suspect I'm not alone among Metallica fans.

some people think of local band as small band on the rise, doing good, needing some exposure. Not a band that a lot of people know of and already had a bit of pop buzz but haven't been in the public eye for a while.
but they are named Local H, so I guess technically they're qualified no matter what.

I mean, if you're a Metallica fan, the local openers probably aren't pulling you in. Metallica is. But any concert I go to, I want to see the local opener because they might be awesome.

This is a case where the local opener is guaranteed to be awesome.

some people think of local band as small band on the rise, doing good, needing some exposure. Not a band that a lot of people know of and already had a bit of pop buzz but haven't been in the public eye for a while.
but they are named Local H, so I guess technically they're qualified no matter what.
Sure, but that's a little semantic, isn't it? Is local band a defined term here? Fans voted for this. These guys had a minor hit 20 years ago. Who's to say a popular "local band" isn't bigger than them now? And is it local to these 5 shows? Weren't there other regions doing this too? Maybe they didn't have to drive far. This isn't a controversy, it isn't anything. There are some passionate people in this thread! A band you love is going to get a bump. m /

kirblar

edit: saw the age, did you just not own a radio?

This song was all over late '90s radio.

Jabronium

Man, I loved these guys when I was in HS. Didn't realize they were still around. Looks like they're not on the Detroit show I'm attending, but good for them.

Hale-XF11

Wow, Local H. Now there's a name I haven't heard in quite some time. I thought they were already established and popular though. I assumed this contest was something to give an up and coming band a chance at popularity.

Wow, Local H. Now there's a name I haven't heard in quite some time. I thought they were already established and popular though. I assumed this contest was something to give an up and coming band a chance at popularity.
Fan vote. Regional radio stations nominated bands, fans voted. Winners made it to Metallica.com, fans voted. "Name" won.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom