• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metaphor Re:Fantazio | Review Thread

What scores do you think Metaphor: ReFantazio will get?

• 55-60%

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • 61-64%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65-69%

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 70-74%

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 75-79%

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • 80-84%

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • 85-89%

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 48 29.8%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 9 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
No way in hell.

Maybe visually it's unappealing and too biege/brown (for me at least), but it's still a decent JRPG at it's core and I'm condfident in Studio Zero's wiriting skills.

They'll need to royally (sorry) eff up with the plot or systems to somehow break lower than their traditional corridor of 85-90.

From what I see, it looks dated, uninspiring, a copy and paste of persona, a reskin of persona, this type of lazy work shouldn't be rewarded annnnnnd 55 at best, AT BEST is what this game SHOULD GET.

I predict 85-90 just because it isn't Persona. Personally, I wonder if I will enjoy it more than Persona 5, which I considered a masterpiece at the time. I'm not really in the mood to tinker with demons and such. I just want a pure, character driven JRPG.

it's shallow of me to base my decision off a high score
I am really hoping this isnt one of those "from the creators of popular IP" that disappoints.
You could just play the demo. It's a great game and the progress carries over.

nikos

Was looking forward to this but so many things about the demo are so bad that I think I'm going to hold off. The only thing that would get me to give it a chance would be Lyall's mod completely fixing the HUD in ultrawide, which isn't an easy task, otherwise it's unplayable.

Actually considering picking up P3R since I've been putting it off for so long.

bender

What time is it?
No.

You played 1 Persona game, you played em all lol
fc083465b213d9f8e9ef83263482d87e.gif

Topher

Gold Member
Was looking forward to this but so many things about the demo are so bad that I think I'm going to hold off. The only thing that would get me to give it a chance would be Lyall's mod completely fixing the HUD in ultrawide, which isn't an easy task, otherwise it's unplayable.

Actually considering picking up P3R since I've been putting it off for so long.

P3R is fantastic. Definitely my favorite Persona game.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
I disagree with that, but it is fine. This game isn't for you. Plenty of others out there then....
lol i kid.

I have the special edition pre-ordered, but I actually didn't play the demo and have no plans to.

I want to go in fresh and did a media blackout of it.

Deerock71

I finally finished P5R this year after having to restart it a few times. Played P4G on the Vita. Loved both games.
You mention the restarting. I've tried The Witcher 3 on about 4 different systems, and the combat finally kicked in on this playthrough on my Steam Deck. Got stuck on the damn Bloody Baron on all the other systems. 😆

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Demo was absolute fire. Ready for full game.

Need to complete SH2 remake first then I’ll be on this until 150 hour completion.

May decide to do D4 expansion story first because once I’m on this it’s GG to anything else.

MMaRsu

I have a few niggles about the game.

The camera sway in dialogue is fucking annoying and stupid, and you cant turn it off

When you go fast on your sword, the main protag doesn't animate at all

The dumb speed lines

The dumb chanting in the battle theme

Little Mac

Gold Member
The dumb chanting in the battle theme

Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

I've played through the demo twice and loved it. I think it will score in the 85-90 range with the dated graphics/performance and time management system holding it back. This is my first foray into Atlus rpgs in decades and I'm surprised with how much fun the combat and leveling/class system is. Great story, great characters, great design, and great music.

SaniOYOYOY

I believe!

-The trpg element and the combat system is a step up from P5
-the ost went hard, like insanely hard

If they make the story stick, it should be a homerun. Who give a shit about graphic, as long as its not pokemon violet tier we gucci

90-95.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I started the demo on pc and the game looks decent, i don't understand some of the critics i read.

On the other hand, the music is nowhere as memorable as persona 5, like not even close, at least for now.

Little Mac

Gold Member
I started the demo on pc and the game looks decent, i don't understand some of the critics i read.

I'm playing it on PS5 and I think the lack of anti-aliasing makes it look more dated than it is. Regardless, I really enjoyed what I've played thus far. Hoping reviews today are positive in regards to the rest of the game.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm playing it on PS5 and I think the lack of anti-aliasing makes it look more dated that it is. Regardless, I really enjoyed what I've played thus far. Hoping reviews today are positive in regards to the rest of the game.
I'm playing on pc maxed out in 4k and it looks better than what i expected after hearing some comments, of course it looks like a ps3 game, but it's pretty clean and crisp, i was expecting much worse iq.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

I've played through the demo twice and loved it. I think it will score in the 85-90 range with the dated graphics/performance and time management system holding it back. This is my first foray into Atlus rpgs in decades and I'm surprised with how much fun the combat and leveling/class system is. Great story, great characters, great design, and great music.

Literally every other theme and bit of music is amazing.

Every time I hear the stupid chanting guy I hear this

MMaRsu

Therm’s fightin’ words. The battle music is awesome.

Did you only play a few minutes? I initially noticed this and didn’t like it, but later realized that I no longer even saw it.

I played for like 6/7 hours and it started to annoy me when I was high and chilling. Went to the Church ingame and just got a bit weird feeling.
When I talked to a person it just was swaying like crazy. With the dialogue boxes also being very jumpy, it just annoyed me and kinda made me feel weird.

I never have any problems with moving stuff or motion sickness or anything like that, but this made me feel a bit quasy.

Last edited:
I predict 85-90 just because it isn't Persona. Personally, I wonder if I will enjoy it more than Persona 5, which I considered a masterpiece at the time. I'm not really in the mood to tinker with demons and such. I just want a pure, character driven JRPG.

You could just play the demo. It's a great game and the progress carries over.
Just played the first couple hours of the demo and WOW. I'll stay away from spoilers but I'll give my full impressions once I complete it. Gotta say though, I'm surprised.

MMaRsu

Metaphor: ReFantazio is a masterfully crafted JRPG that seamlessly takes all that was excellent about the Persona series and weaves a fantasy tale like no other. It's a tale with layers and levels that is wonderfully paced, offering a wealth of familiar mechanics and systems. But crucially, Metaphor is more than just Fantasy Persona, as it carves out a unique identity for itself with a fully realized world, interesting characters, and fun new additions that tweak and galvanize the tried and tested ATLUS formula. Metaphor: ReFantazio is a Magla-fuelled medieval fantasy masterpiece bursting with style, flair, and charm, and it's a nailed-on contender for Game of the Year. Watch this space.

Top Bottom