• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metaphor: ReFantazio | Preview Thread

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
vnEy4kV.png

Previews:

IGN Nordic
Playing five hours of Metaphor ReFantazio proved what I’d been thinking for years since I fell in love with Persona – that the series foundation could reach new heights if used in a different context. And the context here is a violent political fantasy drama. The daily structure and social sim mechanics built around a turn-based RPG are so familiar but have been revamped in several small yet impactful ways, and it’s shaping up to be a brilliant, synergistic way of exploring an entirely new and fascinating fiction in the comfort of a framework I already know and love.

Aside from the bold new soundtrack from longtime Atlus composer Shoji Meguro (who’s now wielding classical orchestras and a Latin-style choir), Metaphor’s lasting impact will be in how its political storytelling comes together.

The Gamer
  • Metaphor: ReFantazio creates a unique experience that blends familiar Atlus elements with fresh mechanics and high fantasy lore.
  • The game delves into racial tensions, royal intrigue, and combat strategy with over 40 diverse Archetypes offering unique skills and affinities.
  • Boss battles feature horrifying humanoid creations, while the protagonist navigates a fantastical world with ties to a mundane reality.

RPG Fan
I can’t overstate how much I enjoyed my limited time with Metaphor: ReFantazio. Everything felt so polished, like a game I had been waiting for as both an SMT and Persona fan for a long while. The music was also so great to finally get to listen to. Shoji Meguro has created such beautiful pieces for the game that sometimes I just wanted to sit back and listen to them if I had the time. The standard battle track was a real standout, which fits the game’s tone so well. He is still a master of his craft.

I can’t wait to get my hands on the game this October, and I am even more hyped than ever for it.

Metro
Playing through four hours of Metaphor: ReFantazio left us feeling that it will more than live up to the legacy of Persona and Atlus’ other work. In fact, it may be their best game yet. It’s clearly an attempt to bring the Japanese role-playing genre more fully into the mainstream, and it felt like it had the depth of gameplay and personality to achieve that aim.

Plus, it looked fantastic, at times occupying Studio Ghibli territory in visual terms. It has real graphical style and great attention to detail; even the transition screens after battles are a joy to behold. We were only able to scratch the surface of the game’s election mechanics, but they seem intriguing, and the battle and archetype system demonstrated the requisite tactical depth demanded by fans.

Some will deride the turn-based battles as an anachronism, but despite its roots being very clear the game still felt more like a Western role-player than anything else Atlus has ever produced. Given the high fantasy setting, and mainstream pretensions, it provoked obvious comparisons with Final Fantasy 16, but Metaphor: ReFantazio’s game world, from the off, felt much more vibrant, alive and imbued with personality than that of Square Enix’s game.

Like the best role-playing games, it puts you in a world that is enticing and compelling to explore – some achievement since it had been crafted from scratch by a team mostly used only to recreating Tokyo. Of course, we couldn’t tell how well it will hang together as a whole, even after four hours of hands-on play, but it clearly has all the ingredients required to satisfy the most demanding of genre aficionados.

Tech Radar
Another Persona alumni who departed Atlus entirely returns for Metaphor, that being composer Shoji Meguro, and those of you who know these games know that his name being attached automatically sends the game right into best soundtrack of the year contention. And so far, it hasn't disappointed. While it does have the sweeping orchestral sounds you’d expect from the fantasy genre, it’s a fast-paced and epic-feeling soundtrack that keeps the excitement up during battle, plus, its use of chanting helps it stand out from anything the Meguro / Atlus collab has given us before.

Even from the opening minutes, Metaphor: ReFantazio sets up an interesting premise, a well-realized world, and a lovable cast of characters. But you’ll probably have noticed that I haven’t really talked about the gameplay, which is what I alluded to in the ‘unique’ demo comment before.

Push Square
Metaphor: ReFantazio is almost certainly going to be one of the best RPGs of 2024, but this Gamescom demo felt like a misfire. Time is a premium at a video game expo, so it was never going to be realistic to gain three or so hours of access to the Atlus title. However, to simply start a new game and have to button through so much setup and basic tutorials meant we had little time to see how the game actually plays.

What we said having played the game at Summer Game Fest in June can pretty much be reiterated due to the confines of the demo: "Frankly, an hour isn’t enough time to grasp everything Metaphor: ReFantazio is trying to do. It’s brash, bold, and brilliant in many ways, but it’s also a lot to take in – overwhelmingly so. The visuals, while fantastic, can sometimes drown out some of the text during fights. And there are lots of new systems involved that it’ll definitely take a while to ease into combat. But even with all that, Metaphor is truly shaping up to be an incredibly addictive RPG."

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
That retard YTer with the “worth it” click bait thumbnail is a boob.

You’re in preview mode and you’re phrasing it like it’s a review for a buy.

Thumbnail should be “is it any good?” “Does it live up to the hype?” Things of that nature.

Game is a day one and likely will end up my GOTY. I’m trying to ignore it so I don’t get so excited then time moves slow…

Last edited:

Metnut

Game looks great. Atlus has done a nice job promoting. Have to decide whether I’m gonna to get it Day1 or wait a few years for the complete version. I really got burned on SMT5 for the Switch.

Astray

Game looks very good and has a lot of unique things about it.

The only thing stopping me from making a day 1 purchase is Atlus' typical double-dip bait. Been hit with that for Persona 5 and don't want it to happen again.

Natsuko

It reads quite well from what I've glanced over. I'm not going to bother looking at the videos and texts any closer, previews are far too often overly euphoric and positive.

My decision to buy has long been made anyway. It says Atlus on it, that's all I need. But I'm happy that the previews confirm my hopes and that another great game from Atlus might be on the way. If only it were already October. :messenger_sad_relieved:

MagusMajul

This is a Day one purchase for me I already have the launch edition preordered on ps5. I have yet to get into shin mega 5 I will play both games tat the same time. I just wish that it were M rated

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I want to like it. New IP, etc. Lots of interesting guest artists. Turn based / action RPG hybrid.

I watched this video yesterday and it really soured me on the game. It just looks cheap, and nearly a copy of Persona 3 Reloaded again with different art assets. The music still doesn't sound like it's live instruments but maybe I'm wrong. The static 2D faces with mouths moving looks bad since nothing syncs up. The main character looks kind of dumb with the 2 colored eyes. Everything looks a bit cheap honestly. And I'll say it, even the UI seems like a bit of a mess and a step down from the ultra-high quality UI they usually do. Lots of multi-second load times as well. But somehow I don't think anyone is going to care. I just don't think this has earned the right to be a $70 game.

None of this is commenting on the story. That might be awesome, and I have no idea. I'll definitely pick this up since it's still a big turn based RPG, but not until a price cut or two. Atlus needs to be a bit more ambitious with the kinds of reviews and sales they get these days, and they're not doing it yet.

Last edited:
So i had written this game off previously. This actually looks like it has promise. BUT…damn does it have a lot of talking. Needs to be a little more SMT, and a little less social interaction of Persona.

But if this is indeed, Atlus’s version of Fire Emblem, Game of Thrones, or other fantasy series then there could be something here.

Punished Miku

First 3 minutes: Let me tell you why this is nothing like fantasy Persona.
Rest of the video: Let me explain why nearly every element is almost exactly like Persona.

I am starting to think that Atlus are the masters of buttering people up in specialty events.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Watched a few B-roll videos.

I just can't stand the outdated af look of this game, by which I mean the art is good (characters, illustrations), but 3D realization of it on a level of PS3/X360 at best and it's just abysmal and bad, along with UI and stuff. There's literally no lighting, shadows, any kind of AO, textures are terrible and... Man, how can you release a game looking like this in 2024? Persona 5 even looks way better with its excellent combination of 3D and 2D illustrations with incredibly slick overall look, UI etc. where as here everything is brown, grey, bland, dead and devoid of color.

giphy.gif

near

Gold Member
The media blow out on this game has been on going for a while. I feel like I know everything there is to know except how it's story ends. Pretty hyped for it now tho. I wasn't too happy at first how it sort of deviated from the original concept art, but the characters and art direction has grown on me.

the whole art style and visuals look really awful to me. i love persona and shin megami tensei (well i've only played V) but not sure if i'll be buying this.
Likewise here and I'm really an old school SMT and Persona fan.
This game is a new IP though, so I want to see it speak for itself, but many of the decisions in art direction with characters and UI... really puts me off.

Hudo

Yup, just like Nier I think im gonna prefer playing this game with English voice instead of Japanese.
It seems like I'm the only one who genuinely likes the English dub of Like A Dragon.

Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth, however, has really dropped the ball with the voice of Kiryu. It sounded like a teenager tryharding. Bothered me so much that I ended up playing with the Japanese dub.

Ferdimage

Was already sold on the game from the very first trailer.
I'm just glad that the previews are very positive.

Been very disciplined not watching any of the daily videos thread.
Cant wait to play it in October.

First 3 minutes: Let me tell you why this is nothing like fantasy Persona.
Rest of the video: Let me explain why nearly every element is almost exactly like Persona.

I am starting to think that Atlus are the masters of buttering people up in specialty events.

Good video, very informative. Looks like there is also a calendar system in this game too. This is all very underwhelming to me. I thought they would do more to make the game stand on its own, with its own new systems and such, but this is literally just a Persona clone but messier. The UI is also way overdone and in combat it's more distracting than cool.

Punished Miku

Good video, very informative. Looks like there is also a calendar system in this game too. This is all very underwhelming to me. I thought they would do more to make the game stand on its own, with its own new systems and such, but this is literally just a Persona clone but messier. The UI is also way overdone and in combat it's more distracting than cool.
100% agree. I will pick it up on sale eventually. It has cool elements but I was hoping for a lot more, and hoping for more of a difference. Fans of Persona should be excited. Looks like that plus a new setting, and some battle tweaks.

Biggest surprising flaw though was his analysis of the real time attack thing and how limited it is, particularly when compared to Trails. Having to enter another screen and attack one enemy at a time if there's a group seems pretty cumbersome.

LordCBH

It seems like I'm the only one who genuinely likes the English dub of Like A Dragon.

There are dozens of us…DOZENS.

The English dub of 7 was a damn treasure. The English dub of 8 is….great other than the talentless baboon they hired to be Kiryu.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I just made my pre orders for the next few months and passed on this. I want to see a little more before committing.

I already have Fantasian and DQ3HD and whatever comes to Gamepass. Not sure if this will fit into my schedule.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Too many games but man, I have to make time for this one.

Atlus JRPG with Meguro's music, a job system and press turn combat is just too good to skip on it, plus both the setting and visual design look quite interesting.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Too many games but man, I have to make time for this one.

Atlus JRPG with Meguro's music, a job system and press turn combat is just too good to skip on it, plus both the setting and visual design look quite interesting.
Yup. I'm super hyped for this......Press turn with job system is gonna be so much fun.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yup. I'm super hyped for this......Press turn with job system is gonna be so much fun.
Indeed! I might miss demon fusing, but Metaphor sort of reminds me of Digital Devil Saga with it's fixed set of characters and they being customizable and having transformations and man, I enjoyed those games a LOT.

Ah shit, I'm getting hyped now. :goog_relieved:

TintoConCasera

Beyond excited for this. The art style is incredible ...
I can't get enough of the side-profile view of the characters on the menu screen. It looks neat! :pie_starstruck:
Hell yeah. I think Atlus has the best UI designers in the industry, can't think of anybody else doing it better.

Dynasty8

Not for me personally, but this is sounding like a GotY contender for the people interested. Happy for y'all.

Top Bottom