• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light |OT| Last bullet. Last breath. Last chance.

• Thread starter Deleted member 102362
  • Start date

epmode

So I picked up Last Light in the new Steam sale. Is there any way to make it so that the horizontal and vertical mouse sensitivity settings are equal? As it is, it's far easier to look left and right than up and down.

edit: Just looked around. The only fix appears to be screwing with your mouse drivers. Judging from the awful options screen and default FOV, it looks like I picked up another shitty port. At least they patched in the ability to change your FOV.

But honestly, the sensitivity thing is distracting. It doesn't control like any other FPS I play. Back to other games I guess.

leng jai

Man I'm pretty disappointed in this game. I thought it would be a marked improvement over 2033. In some ways it is but by the end of the game I felt like it was about the same. Too much time spent in dark underground tunnels, the same Metro jank and some terribly tedious monster encounters. It was incredibly good looking in the outdoor segments though.

Today I saw a picture in one online newspaper I scroll from time to time, and my initial thought was (without reading the headline) "hey, I will read this game review later, looks interesting, CoD or Metro maybe"

But then I realized that it's an actual picture from the present Ukraine. I decided use this one together with 3 Metro LL screenshots. It's amazing.

RFGunl5.jpg

I don't know why I skipped out on this when it was originally released. Maybe I didn't think there was enough positive buzz or something?

I'm kind of sorry I didn't get this game back when it was first released. I'm even more sorry that I don't have a proper PC/gaming rig and am strictly a console gamer...because holy hell would this game look amazing at the maxed/ideal settings.

So this bump is because the game hit the PS+, and I downloaded it expecting to give it a try and then maybe move on...but boy has this one managed to captivate me like no other shooter I've played recently.

THIS is the kind of FPS I can dig. It boasts a nuanced and gritty game play that focuses heavily on exploration, scavenging, and giving you an opportunity to choose stealth over straight up bro'd out "SHOOT 'EM, SHOOT' EM, SHOOT' EM" style of gunplay that is so damn tiresome.

It has an intriguing setting, the story has something going for it (it's not great, but it's definitely above average for the genre) and the lighting and visuals are damn nice (even though I'm playing it on the PS3).

If they released a "definitive edition" for the PS4 with all of the DLC...I'd bite.

Eusis

I got it on PC, but sorta considering just going through on PS3 anyway because it's surprisingly good looking there, and testing with the benchmarks I'm a little annoyed that even Medium settings run kinda bad. 560 Ti by the way.

EDIT: Ok not so bad once down to Normal with all the other stuff turned off but motion blur... but I got some hiccups in performance for some reason, so that may be enough justification. I feel like on PC it'd be neater if there were an opportunity to blast it maxed anyway.

Stainless

Got the game on PS3. Have been meaning to pick it up on PC but I couldn't pass it up being free on PS+. Played a couple chapters. Obviously not very far in, but already really dig the game.

Hey Metro GAF.

I got this on Plus and have been really enjoying it. I need some help/advice. I have not read this thread fully for fear of spoilers so I apologise if the answer is already in here.

I have made it to the gardens. Unfortunately I am now ammo less for all my weapons and my checkpoint is just before the confrontation. I am playing on normal diff. Should I just restart the level and play better at conserving my ammo? Or is this encounter do-able with the 12 shells for shottie I found in a bush in the arena? Lol. I am fully tooled with Claymores, nades, incendiary & throwing knives! Useful hey?

Don't know how I have ended up doing so poorly with ammo and filters in the last few stages, but for some reason I have struggled with them. Earlier in the game I was having no issues?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
the game has great atmosphere, story telling, and pacing but it fumbles on some design choices that could easily be omitted from from the next game:

1. brain dead stealth. you're essentially invisible in the dark while crouching. even when you're one foot away from an enemy, it's way too easy and immersion-breakingly unrealistic.

2. the moral system. this should just be dropped. the shooting is much improved from 2033 but the game punishes you for shooting human opponents altogether. the mutant creatures aren't half as fun to fight and stealth is way too easy, so it turns out that the most enjoyable way to play the game is the one they punish you for. Also, even in the story context, considering the stakes, killing a dude here and there isn't all that immoral. you're preventing
all out nuclear war here

edit: oh, and the silent protagonist doesn't fit well in a game as dialogue heavy as this in my opinion.

Thorgal

the game has great atmosphere, story telling, and pacing but it fumbles on some design choices that could easily be omitted from from the next game:

1. brain dead stealth. you're essentially invisible in the dark while crouching. even when you're one foot away from an enemy, it's way too easy and immersion-breakingly unrealistic.

2. the moral system. this should just be dropped. the shooting is much improved from 2033 but the game punishes you for shooting human opponents altogether. the mutant creatures aren't half as fun to fight and stealth is way too easy, so it turns out that the most enjoyable way to play the game is the one they punish you for. Also, even in the story context, considering the stakes, killing a dude here and there isn't all that immoral. you're preventing
all out nuclear war here

edit: oh, and the silent protagonist doesn't fit well in a game as dialogue heavy as this in my opinion.

1 While it's true that the stealth is unrealistic i consider it a necessary evil in stealth games because otherwise the Game would be almost impossible to clear it Stealthy.

2 While opinions may differ , i got way more a sense of accomplishment Sneaking through an area then simply shooting up the place.

As for The moral system at least for the enemies part the game was basically punishing you for needlessly killing someone .
I feel the game asks : are you a "the end justifies the means so a few corpses are acceptable type of person " ?

Or are you a " does this guy really need/ deserve to die type of person ?

Perhaps i am reading too much into it but that's how i rationalized it .

Sepp

Banned
So I'm in the caves with the monsters. I sneak by them and arrive at a water wheel. Even the monsters right in front of it do not notice me. I pull the lever, checkpoint is being saved, and right after all the monsters I sneaked by and a ton more attack me. I die, reload the checkpoint and the same shit happens again. WTF??

RoKKeR

Anybody heard any rumblings on when we might be hearing more about Metro: Redux? Was hoping they would have spilled the beans by now.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
bump!

I noticed one of the new features in Last Light Redux is the "Check Watch" feature. I haven't played LL yet, but can you not hold a button to bring up your watch like in 2033? If not how does it work?

Just finished the game, and I'm happy to see how some of the STALKER team has evolved. I could never get that into Metro 2033, but Last Light was completely different. Some of the fantasy elements in the game were very reminiscent of STALKER SOC, which I enjoyed. And while the weapons didn't have the same levels of customization, the weapons were varied enough to encourage trying different weapons out. I know the game is completely scripted, they did a great job of concealing that in combat.

Overall, I loved it and I can't wait to play it again.

Hypereides

Gold Member
So I completed the game recently. It was an offering on PS+.

I sequently played through it twice and managed to achieve both the "Good" and "Bad" Ending. First one being the "Bad". Unlocking the "Good" afterwards, felt imo more fulfilling and better.

The moral system

I've read some opinions and impressions in this thread citing the moral point system being difficult, complicated and/or unfair - its not. Its kind of straight forward, it just requires you to make decisions based on rational thinking. The better a person you are, the more good you do, the more likely you are to get rewarded for it. Basically the more geniunely good you are the better the odds of the good ending. There are crucial and deciding points in the game that play a significant role in determining your outcome. Aside from that avoiding killing anybody in a given area, even grants you one moral point. Primarily anything that is directed towards the benefit of others and peaceful resolution is what counts.

I liked it. It actively engages and involves you, in a way that most games fail to accomplish. I would even argue that 4A games has a minor agenda provoking a discussion about what is considered morally good or wrong.

The setting

As mentioned by most posters in the thread, the sense of immersion is well executed. Both below and above. Imo thats an artistic feat. The surface looks like hell (heaven?) on earth. Nature has reclaimed its wild right with fury. The beautifully tragic ruins of Moscow. The atmosphere is dense. Recognizable landmarks add to rich, colorful, depressing landscapes. Minor gameplay mechanic details like the gasmask, add an effective touch to the immersion. Despite the fact that I played the PS3 version, I was not disappointed. It managed to capture some pleasing visuals, and well made motion captures and animation.

Some of my personal favourite set pieces were mostly above ground.
The crossing, the bridge and the park, with the mutated bear
were some moments I won't forget for some time. I would dare to say, many scenic parts bring other developers/studios to shame. Pacing, as mentioned, is also satisfying. It's an enjoyable ride with a graceful and precise length imo. A standard that is rare.

The Story

Its a simple storyline, but with depth imo. The lore and Metro universe is rich. Layers are gradually uncovered and optional information in the diary manage to forge a very competent story compared to most games these days. The dialogue is neither horrible nor great. It strikes above average, and it seems kind of clear that its written by the author of the Metro books. Its actually somewhat intelligent and doesn't patronise the player in any significant way - even minor dialogues between grunts and other enemies indicate that the game mocks itself for brief comedy. Which is something that I enjoy.

Thematic is also broad: war, love, discrimination, politics, ideologies, nature, survival, tolerance, understanding etc. etc. Just highlight some examples.

The Gameplay

Its solid. Nothing revolutionary. But taking full advantage of the shadows is almost like playing in godmode. Despite that its fun. To paraphrase someone else in the thread it feels "like an accomplishment". Which is good.

The greatness shines through in the details though. Pumping your Helsing. Charging your NVG or flashlight, Whiping your gasmask. Changing the pollution filter. Small, but yet effective touches that add to the illusion of being in the post-apocalyptic landscape.

Imo, 4A games has a great gameplay base to work with. Hopefully they'll expand and rework it in the next iteration. Obviously they have the right mindset. I like where they are going with it.

Conclusion

I dig it. Its pretty dope. A very competent effort. Almost everything in the game seems like it has a purpose and meaning. I like this trend of games bringing in competent writers to focus on the story developement. Usually only good things come out of such decisions. Im considering buying the ranger mode DLC just give myself an excuse to replay it.

I would even dare to say that in some regards it even bested the original Bioshock.

Just my 2 cents

Asgaro

beat it in 10 hours, was expecting it to be a bit longer. Nonetheless it was def a badass game

Why do people rush in beautiful games like this one? I've even read someone did it in 8 hours.
I'm at 10 hours and I'm exactly halfway through the game.
(Consulted a guide to see the chapter I'm in.)

I play on Hard though: no reason to rush through this wonderful game guns blazing!

RoKKeR

Cross-posting to gauge for any possible interest, even though this thread is pretty quiet these days.

Anybody interest in doing the Metro: Redux OP? I head back to university right around the time the game comes out but would be interested in collaborating.

Bah, completed the game without killing anyone except for The Chase, Red Square and the flamethrower dude on the final level, Shadow Ranger didn't unlock :( 69/70's it will have to be.

Il get over it :'(

Top Bottom