• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light |OT| Last bullet. Last breath. Last chance.

• Thread starter Deleted member 102362
  • Start date

Lima

Afraid of some little spiders?

Conceptually or in reality?

In reality you get all the DLC they're putting out at a discount.

All of the DLC they planned to put in the season pass. See Borderlands 2 and Halo 4. They will get new content now that the season passes for these games are done.

Afraid of some little spiders?

You have no idea. I was so scared in the main game. Where did that obsession with spiders come from?

Zep

Banned
After the
swamp chapter where you have to find gas and get to the church
this game really starts to pick up. I just
went through the caverns, beat BIG MOMMA! saved Anna through awesome looking fire and had sex.

I
killed big momma with no ammo and just my blade.
I think that makes me a badass.

This game was testing my nerves for a little while(mostly the lack of direction), but its all coming together...I can feel it. I can respect a game that doesn't hold your hand. Its just when you're on a time meter it can get frustrating.

Zep

Banned
Going through the
apartment buildings
its so damn eerie and I'm on edge because of how still everything is around me. Almost like you're being stalked.

Just completed the game. Really good all things considered. The beginning is pretty average and there's still a lot of weird dialogue and things that don't make sense in relation to the books, but that aside the game was really good. The enemy encounters are like ten times better than before. Fighting humans are no longer a chore.

On normal difficulty the game overdid it a bit with filters and ammo -- I was almost always full for the second half of the game. Will definitely re-play it again in the future.

Double-posting because I'm Swedish and handsome. Unsure if I should buy the season pass or not. It's essentially like getting four DLC's for the price of three. Then again, the DLC might just show up for half price later, which would be cheaper than buying the season pass. The tower DLC doesn't sound too interesting, but the other ones do. I'm really curious what the museum is. Could be something amazing if done well, but it could just as well be crap. No idea what the "AI arena" is supposed to be.

Zep

Banned
Looking at the DLC packs, I think I'll pick up the Faction Pack and then the Chronicles Pack. The other two at this moment don't seem to warrant buying the season pas..

Double-posting because I'm Swedish and handsome. Unsure if I should buy the season pass or not. It's essentially like getting four DLC's for the price of three. Then again, the DLC might just show up for half price later, which would be cheaper than buying the season pass. The tower DLC doesn't sound too interesting, but the other ones do. I'm really curious what the museum is. Could be something amazing if done well, but it could just as well be crap. No idea what the "AI arena" is supposed to be.
I bought it giving 4A the benefit of the doubt and was pleased by 2/3rds of the first pack, the library and the stealth sniper mission are both awesome. In fact the style of gameplay in the Library I feel could easily be expanded into its own game as you go out into the world to scavenge for artifacts, returning to base to resupply and upgrade your gear.

As for the future who can say. I imagine the arena will let you choose your loadouts and what enemies are in there and let you loose in a 'sandbox.' The spider thing sounds cool as does the DLC with the different people's stories. I think 4A will deliver, personally, and 4 packs for $15 seems like a good deal to me.

Well, I decided to buy the season pass. I might regret it but hey, what's done is done.

I hope 4A are working on more Metro for next-gen. Imagine an open-world Metro game, where you can go between stations, do side-quests and trading and such. Would be glorious.

Lima

I hope 4A are working on more Metro for next-gen. Imagine an open-world Metro game, where you can go between stations, do side-quests and trading and such. Would be glorious.

This would be my dream Metro game. Like the library level in the DLC. You go to the surface and stuff, all alone to scavenge and upgrade your weapons and suits and shit. The narrative would be a little hard to pull off but I think they could make it work.

televator

Not being able to just explore the outside took some getting used to for me. I like taking my time with games, but Metro doesn't let you be idle for a minute on the surface before some other nightmarish monster comes at you. Also those flying dragon things... fuck them, I'm out. I just book it when they're around. Trying to take one out is an exercise in wasting resources.

This would be my dream Metro game. Like the library level in the DLC. You go to the surface and stuff, all alone to scavenge and upgrade your weapons and suits and shit. The narrative would be a little hard to pull off but I think they could make it work.
Yes!

I would be ok with the narrative taking a bit of a back seat if it gave me more agency about where I went and how I got around.

legacyzero

Banned
60% off on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/43160/

ibxqxKfabr9AYA.gif

Uh yeah. It's as bad as Lima says. I hate horde mode type things and this is especially egregious as there's no where to hide and enemies spawn in at certain places, no matter if you're standing right next to them. It's a shame because the virtual reality premise isn't bad.

Sullichin

Started playing this a couple days ago. It looks absolutely incredible. If it didn't, the really slow beginning would have been more of a chore.. but when it picks up it's really fun. I couldn't really get into Metro 2033, but I think the shooting feels a lot better here. Hardcore seems like a well balanced difficulty. I'm dying when I go guns blazing in some of the encounters, but it doesn't feel cheap.

I find it really odd that Artyom doesn't speak during gameplay. I'm not a big fan of the silently following someone around over and over thing.

The atmosphere makes up for the shortcomings though and I'm enjoying the hell out of this. I'm in the rail cart section, I can't seem to push the car in front of me any further but my compass is suggesting otherwise. Died of suffocation before I figured out what I'm supposed to do.

Zep

Banned
Started playing this a couple days ago. It looks absolutely incredible. If it didn't, the really slow beginning would have been more of a chore.. but when it picks up it's really fun. I couldn't really get into Metro 2033, but I think the shooting feels a lot better here. Hardcore seems like a well balanced difficulty. I'm dying when I go guns blazing in some of the encounters, but it doesn't feel cheap.

I find it really odd that Artyom doesn't speak during gameplay. I'm not a big fan of the silently following someone around over and over thing.

The atmosphere makes up for the shortcomings though and I'm enjoying the hell out of this. I'm in the rail cart section, I can't seem to push the car in front of me any further but my compass is suggesting otherwise. Died of suffocation before I figured out what I'm supposed to do.

Push the rail cart back behind the arrow on the side of tracks. After you do that walk to the arrow and you should be able to change the track.

d1rtn4p

I just started this game, and it's odd. For some reason it feels like I'm walking around in a euphoric state, why is everything so blurred? I thought it might of been the motion blur setting, but I turned it to low and I'm still having a problem.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Played around 3 hours so far and loving it, only real complaint is how some parts don't have subtitles at all. Playing it in Russian and the entire talent show scene didn't have any subtitles.

d1rtn4p

Hmmm, guess I'm having performance issues. I have 2 7970 HDs in crossfire mode and the game's frame rate is almost unplayable. I do have it on the highest settings however. Any ideas of what it takes to run this game maxed out at a smooth framerate these days?

NEO0MJ

Hmmm, guess I'm having performance issues. I have 2 7970 HDs in crossfire mode and the game's frame rate is almost unplayable. I do have it on the highest settings however. Any ideas of what it takes to run this game maxed out at a smooth framerate these days?

That's strange. I played the game with a single AMD Radeon HD 8870M on med at 1920X1080 with a solid framerate of 60 FPS (and at least 30 FPS on high, though I don't play in that setting much) on my laptop. Maybe it doesn't support AMD crossfire?

I love it. Being a chatty cathy seldom improves main characters and this is one of few games that still lets me put myself into a character without being jarred out of it every time he opens his/her mouth.

Sullichin

I love it. Being a chatty cathy seldom improves main characters and this is one of few games that still lets me put myself into a character without being jarred out of it every time he opens his/her mouth.

It's not so much the fact that he doesn't talk, it's that people are always talking to him and you always seem to be following people around without saying a word

Push the rail cart back behind the arrow on the side of tracks. After you do that walk to the arrow and you should be able to change the track.
Don't know how I missed that, thanks

I'm at the chapter after Pavlel gets away in Venice. Getting some Metroid vibes from this outside area with all of the creatures. It makes me wish that so much of the game up to this point wasn't in tunnels and stuff. Although it all looks really beautiful. There was one firefight in particular against guys with laser-sight combat shotguns in a dark room that looked pretty insane.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Just finished the game right now and wow... the game found ways to amaze me at every turn. Definitely more impressed with this game than I was with Last of Us (which is amazing too but a little... basic).

The story is gripping, the characters are all believable and flawed, the atmosphere is thick and tense, the visuals are amazing. The story twists and turns and each line of dialogue immerses you in the world of Metro even more. There is so much dialogue and attention to detail packed into random NPC interactions which can be completely missed if you ignore it.

On the surface, it may be just another post-apocalyptic shooter but it is so much more deeper than that. There is so much here that kept me coming back for more. Not every encounter has to be fought, resources have to be conserved. The mutants own the wasteland, you are a stranger there and the audio design keeps you on your toes without knowing which way you may get attacked from.

When you have the choice to save or leave Pavel, there is a picture of Jesus hanging on the wall right.
That part really stuck with me and I stopped to think of my actions.

After fighting the mutated bear, you could just ignore it and keep moving but the game gives you the option to save the bear, without any gameplay cues whatsoever.
Any other game would have put that into a cutscene and gotten it over with.

The Dead City part was very surreal, I actually got chills down my spine at one point.

It's the little things and attention to detail like that which engrosses the player. Even though its a linear game, the scenery and map design is designed in such a way that it never feels like going from point A to B except in the tunnel sections. This is definitely one of my favorite games of the year. I don't know how well it did commercially but I'm a 4A fan from here on in, day 1 for whatever they might be working on next.

Sullichin

I was checking out the DLC for this game and I'm amazed that Ranger mode is 5 dollars. Isn't it just a harder difficulty with no HUD?

TJP

I was checking out the DLC for this game and I'm amazed that Ranger mode is 5 dollars. Isn't it just a harder difficulty with no HUD?
Yes, that's all it is. I too got the Ranger mode free for pre-ordering the game. Blame lies with the former publisher of Last Light - 4A got a lot of undeserved hate for this 'dlc' at the time it was announced.

The Tower Pack has been released in case anyones wondering by the way. I'll play it later when I have time. Also noticed that all my save files got deleted in the last update for the game. Oh well.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
After playing this then Infinite I can't believe how such a small budget studio can produce such a great game while a multi million one produces such trash like BioShock infinite.

I hope they release a GOTY edition with all the DLC on disc. So far this had been the best game I've played all year.

Raptor

Im 8 hours in and I will say this is the best FPS I have ever played in my life.

I don't want it to end ever, if this was a MMO I would totally pay a monthly fee for missions.

That's how much I like this game.

Raptor

Finished it, what a great game, resonated with me in so many levels that I will say only this is indeed the greatest campaign since maybe Halo CE to me, from start to finish everything was top notch, and from
where you begin to do stuff with the little Dark One it became a masterpiece to me

I will start another playthrough just because I like it a lot, not doing anythign specifically maybe hunt some achievements but mainly just to admire that setting one more time.

If I play on Hardcore I still get the HUD and all right?

Not sure, never tried hardcore.

Just fyi, the first DLC was excellent (well, 2/3 missions were anyway) but the second one (it's a very un-fun horde mode) was terrible. I'm crossing my fingers that the next two are good otherwise I'll regret the season pass.

Oh right, this reminded me that I haven't even had time to try the second DLC yet. Yeah, the first one was alright. The heavy grunt mission is pretty bad though and it even crashed for me so I never even finished it. The other two mission are pretty good, although they feel rushed.

Raptor

Not sure, never tried hardcore.

Just fyi, the first DLC was excellent (well, 2/3 missions were anyway) but the second one (it's a very un-fun horde mode) was terrible. I'm crossing my fingers that the next two are good otherwise I'll regret the season pass.

The Season Pass gives you a discount for this DLCs right?

Top Bottom