• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Closes Redfall Developer Arkane Austin, HiFi Rush Developer Tango Gameworks, and More in Devastating Cuts at Bethesda

One of the games I've enjoyed the most, I lost all hopes of a sequel since it bombed but now I'm completely saying good bye to it, the small spark that was already left just fade away :pie_crying:

I mean, I get the others and that lots of those people being moved to other teams, but why Tango?
It sucks 🥹. The potential of Tango exclusives to Xbox is what kept the door open for me. Xbox just slammed the door in my face.

GHG

Gold Member
“They are only human”
“ Toxic console war”
“ Haters”
“He saved the brand”

"Sony have made it difficult for them to survive"

"consumers are sheep"

sokGJxJ.jpeg

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It's not about just closing studios. Studios get closed all the time.

It's about why this is happening. Microsoft created a model in GamePass that devalued games. People warned that it would lead to studio closures. Then they bought ABK, and again people were warned about what the result of this would be.

Redfall was a disaster, but it probably shouldn't have been released when it was. It was released because Microsoft needed it to be released. The same with Starfield. Both games were already delayed and Microsoft couldn't abide additional delays for games that aren't actually going to sell but just be added to GamePass.

The only way to make GamePass profitable is to increase subs or decrease costs... So if subscriptions aren't increasing, what do you think will happen?

Microsoft first started with doing away with big 3rd party exclusives and now the only thing left to do is to close studios that aren't performing or the talent has already left, but eventually it will cave in on itself.

They're about to release a number of games that are all going to disappoint: Hellblade, Avowed, Indiana Jones, Perfect Dark... a lot of these studios are going to get closed.

Turn10 is also on red alert...

That's a whole bunch of bs. Ms closes one studio that released a turd and one small studio and now your saying some of thier largest and most talented groups will be axed? Please.

Gamepass has nothing to do with any of this, there is constant pressure on all devs to deliver games that people play, regardless of how they pay for them.

Releasing sub standard games will result in less sales, just like releasing sub standard games on gamepass yields you less subs.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Buying a third party dev, artificially reducing their customer base by making their games console exclusive and free at launch for subscribers, and then firing them after sales were lackluster is just mean and cold hearted.
Ghostwire, Hi-Fi Rush, and Deathloop all bombed on PS5. I honestly think the main thing they had going for them was GP money.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm curious how much of Tango will be reallocated to different studios.

Microsoft is bloated. That is undeniable. Let's see folks be so willing to be acquired after this. It would be the equivalent of sending your studio out to pasture.

I imagine Undead Labs will be next on the chopping board after State of Decay 3 is released. They haven't put out a damn thing since being acquired.

This is what happens when you buy failing studios and have preactically zero oversight on them. How lazy and disinterested can you be?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Not according to Greenberg and co.
That honestly doesn't bother me like it seems to bother other people here. The guy is in charge of marketing, and he's trying to put a positive spin on engagement numbers. That's what he's supposed to do. It's not his job to comment on sales numbers or to call things a failure and drive interest lower. Saying it's popular helps the game's chances. They're trying to convince people to check the game out through sub or sale.

And the post you quoted from me was talking about PS5. I haven't heard anyone hardly speak of the game since it released there. On Xbox there was huge buzz about it. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think they've said a word about how it did on PS5.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
That's a whole bunch of bs. Ms closes one studio that released a turd and one small studio and now your saying some of thier largest and most talented groups will be axed? Please.

Gamepass has nothing to do with any of this, there is constant pressure on all devs to deliver games that people play, regardless of how they pay for them.

Releasing sub standard games will result in less sales, just like releasing sub standard games on gamepass yields you less subs.

... Were you not awake when Forza Motorsport released? It had a completely middling response and debuted at #17 in the NPDs below The Crew: Motorfest before falling off.

Most people played it on Game Pass, didn't enjoy it, and moved on. They're very much going to be in the crosshairs.

TheMan

Pretty baffling, especially Tango. Maybe Hifi had a target to hit in ps5 and it didn’t hit? And as for arkne…yeah redfall was a colossal fuckup but with their pedigree they could have bounced back with their next game.

I think with so much money dumped into ABK they’re just gonna focus and leveraging that (which for some reason they’ve barely done) and then trim the fat.

LordCBH

And what do you think happens when they're releasing fantastic games and gamepass is still stays within the 30 million sub range and barely moves

Didn’t they actually lose subscribers when they rebranded Gold? They had what like 25 million, merged 11 million Gold subs into Gamepass by rebranding Gold, and somehow resulted in like 34 million total.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Man that is both shitty and dumb. You don't get rid of a celebrated company even if they aren't bringing in the money or engagement. When your image is already in the toilet, you don't flush.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Sony "Ouf, that was a tough weekend, WTF guys? Good thing we fixed it on monday"

Microsoft "Tough weekend?"

pushed move over GIF by Blindspot

Microsoft "How about a tough gen"

Fuck me, so right.

Just as Sony make themselves look like greedy ass clowns of the highest order.... along comes Phil with something a thousand times worse.

Fuck 'em both.

LordCBH

Fuck me, so right.

Just as Sony make themselves look like greedy ass clowns of the highest order.... along comes Phil with something a thousand times worse.

Fuck 'em both.

Like right before their big Xbox showcase too. How they gonna convince the world they know what they’re doing when they close a well-liked studio that released a critically loved game right before hand?

THE DUCK

Except no one really gives a shit about Austin being closed, so your argument falls flat on its beak.
But do you know what leads to more substandard games?

Defending substandard games, promoting their substandard games and constantly making excuses for them.

Congratulations, you're very much part of the equation.

If your referring to games like halo infinite and forza motorsport, I happen to enjoy them and don't find them to be substandard. I'm not alone. Redfall on the other hand......
And as much as hifi rush is beloved here, it had limited appeal, I personally didn't care for it.

Mr Moose

That honestly doesn't bother me like it seems to bother other people here. The guy is in charge of marketing, and he's trying to put a positive spin on engagement numbers. That's what he's supposed to do. It's not his job to comment on sales numbers or to call things a failure and drive interest lower. Saying it's popular helps the game's chances. They're trying to convince people to check the game out through sub or sale.
His job is a professional liar, got it. Must've came from the same school as Spencer.
I didn't buy Hi-Fi Rush myself, I'm not into rhythm games, but I really enjoyed Ghostwire and Evil Within was decent from what I've played of it. Was hoping to get some more Ghostwire.

Banjo64

cumsessed
No mate, Gamepass is profitable. Its not about that, it's about producing content that generates interest and excitement that people want to play. Redfall for instance was disastrous, that very few actually played or enjoyed.
Hilarious.

Your very first line:

Studio's that don't make money, don't produce games that make money will always be in danger

Now it’s about interest and excitement.

They can’t make money because they are hamstrung by Microsoft’s shitty business model.

THE DUCK

And what do you think happens when they're releasing fantastic games and gamepass is still stays within the 30 million sub range and barely moves

What exactly makes you think that's the case?
Lack of console sales may put a ceiling on it, but the same thing happens for traditional sales. It's the same.

Top Bottom