• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 on PC requires 64GB of RAM and RTX 4080 for Ideal Specs

Draugoth

Gold Member
According to the release specs, Microsoft recommends players have at least a AMD Ryzen 7 2700X or Intel Core i7-10700K CPU, an AMD 5700 XT or Nvidia RTX 2080 GPU, and 32GB of RAM for the game. For an “ideal” experience, though, it’s suggested players have a Ryzen 9 7900X or i7-14700K CPU, an RX 7900 XT or RTX 4080 GPU, and a whopping 64GB of RAM in their machine.

There are lower minimum specs for players who just want to play on the lowest-available settings. Those require just a Ryzen 5 2600X or Core i7-6800X CPU, an RX 5700 or RTX 970 GPU, and just 16GB of RAM. So, if you’re worried about not being able to play it at all, you should be able to in some way if you have a remotely modern PC.

bafkreig46bttnxfur6pik4hr3jplhpbvxkzwypbv5u4dvmmdclahhjkw5m@jpeg

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
What happened to that whole power of the cloud marketing speak.
I think the cloud will be stuck using Series X hardware for years, I don't expect it to get an upgrade, If ever.
I fully expect future games for the next 10 years will be using Series X(S) as the minimum system requirements.

Adding S The real minimum

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
anyone know some good super fast DDR5 memory that works well with a 14900KS

I've currently got 32GB 7200MHz so would like the same speed but 2 x 32GB

intbal

I think the cloud will be stuck using Series X hardware for years, I don't expect it to get an upgrade, If ever.
I fully expect future games for the next 10 years will be using Series X(S) as the minimum system requirements.

Adding S The real minimum
If the XCloud boards have the same configuration as the devkits, then they are all 40GB at the full 560GB/s bandwidth.
I think xcloud should be fine for a few years when it comes to RAM.

Killer8

Doesn't really make sense since the 4080 has 16gb of VRAM and yet 12gb is marked as ideal.

It will run just fine on a 4070.

kevboard

this is the only game that actually uses the "power of the cloud" in ways that would make it impossible to reach the same fidelity without it.

I feel like the "ideal" specs here are for people who don't want to overly rely on cloud streaming, as I'm pretty sure you have options to download certain routes and play them offline.
I bet some enthusiasts will want to do that, to have some routes ready to go n stuff.

so these ideal specs are probably for those usecases, where everything is being streamed in from your PC, which will fill your ram to "stream" the data

Three

this is the only game that actually uses the "power of the cloud" in ways that would make it impossible to reach the same fidelity without it.

I feel like the "ideal" specs here are for people who don't want to overly rely on cloud streaming, as I'm pretty sure you have options to download certain routes and play them offline.
I bet some enthusiasts will want to do that, to have some routes ready to go n stuff.

so these ideal specs are probably for those usecases, where everything is being streamed in from your PC, which will fill your ram to "stream" the data
Requiring 64GB of RAM is like storing the entire game in RAM. I've seen entire games smaller than that. That's crazy. I don't think it's related to being "less reliant" on cloud though. Probably just IO not being up to snuff to keep that streaming fast enough without degradation of the experience when you're flying fast. You would be streaming in any case it wouldn't be for offline play (that would be from storage and not a requirement for more RAM)

StereoVsn

Requiring 64GB of RAM is like storing the entire game in RAM. I've seen entire games smaller than that. That's crazy. I don't think it's related to being "less reliant" on cloud though. Probably just IO not being up to snuff to keep that streaming fast enough without degradation of the experience when you're flying fast. You would be streaming in any case it wouldn't be for offline play (that would be from storage and not a requirement for more RAM)
Yeah, considering flight speed, quality of graphics and size of the map (i.e. Earth), its not surprising. Same as 16GB VRAM or more for "Ideal" settings.

kevboard

if it was for offline maps then they'd be recommending specific kinds of SSDS (capacity/pcie version).

also, the difference between recommended and ideal specs is 50Mb/s internet speed.

edit: and holy shit i just realised 50GB is the required storage. so it seems they are going harder with cloud streaming. My 2020 install is currently at 223GB. ~120GB of that is the mandatory install without any addons. I don't have any offline maps either lol.

depends on how the game works. It probably streams a lot of data off of the SSD already during gameplay. so I could absolutely see them loading a shitload into memory should you play offline routes simply because that more closely resembles how the game loads data when playing online.

Top Bottom