• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 on PC requires 64GB of RAM and RTX 4080 for Ideal Specs

T4keD0wN

Feels bad to clear everything but the internet bandwith speed.
im-gonna-have-to-pack-this-all-up-and-find-a-new-place-to-live-theodora-crain.gif

Last edited:

skneogaf

I'd like to see the difference between a 10700k and a 14700k with everything else the same like a 64GB of ram and a 4090 etc.

I'm using a 9700k and a 4090 and not once have I noticed a cpu bottleneck.

I play at 4k 120hz so it's obviously gpu bottleneck so maybe the difference in cpu will be purely for lower resolutions like 1080p or 1440p?

If I found that the difference in cpu takes it from 4k 100fps to 4k 120fps just by changing the cpu then I'm game to change but I'm yet to actually find that when I compare my fps to figures on hardware unboxed etc

nemiroff

Gold Member
What happened to that whole power of the cloud marketing speak.

First of all, it's a clickbait title. 64GB RAM and a 4080 is not a requirement. And also worth mentioning that MSFS2024 has better CPU utilization over 2020.

Second, MSFS as it is wouldn't be possible without the cloud, both direct and indirect.

And interestingly enough the title's install size is heavily reduced even though the detail levels are massively increased.

Last edited:

MacReady13

The exact same game will come out on the Series X, wont it? Why would you want to spend thousands of dollars when you can play the exact same game on a console for FAR less money? I get the argument about frame rate/resolution but who gives a fuck? So long as you get the same (similar) experience, play it on console instead. Fucking hell PC gaming can be so frustrating with this shit. Upgrade a year ago and already the specs are not enough to play this at the best settings?!? Crazy.

avin

That is actually fantastically good news. Something to make that monster build worthwhile.

avin

Thanks for sharing this. It shows what specs are becoming mainstream going forward. I thought 32 GB was enough, but I guess not.

I am saving for a 4080 12GB 64 Ram i9 gaming rig for playing games such as this.
It will cost about $3300 but I think it will be value for money due to its multipurpose use - work, play, emulate, mod, and so much more.

DavidGzz

The exact same game will come out on the Series X, wont it? Why would you want to spend thousands of dollars when you can play the exact same game on a console for FAR less money? I get the argument about frame rate/resolution but who gives a fuck? So long as you get the same (similar) experience, play it on console instead. Fucking hell PC gaming can be so frustrating with this shit. Upgrade a year ago and already the specs are not enough to play this at the best settings?!? Crazy.

There is no going back. It's like taking the red pill or being content with the blue. Once you get used to PC gaming with mods, choice(Waaaaaay more games on Steam), no paid online, no sacrifices in visuals or framerstes, etc. It's my only expensive hobby so a couple thousand is nothing.

It's like comparing a Camry with a Lamborghini. Sure, they both get you from A to B, but tell a car enthusiast to quit spending extra on customizing his car or spending more on a new engine, etc. Fat chance.

Last edited:
When I bought my PC, I got 64GB RAM just so I can have some buffer, in the event I would be multi-tasking to an extreme degree. But I'd never imagine a game that will actually use the that much RAM (true next-gen experience?)

And what's with that bandwidth, does this game have to be online to play?

S0ULZB0URNE

Bit clickbaity using the word ‘requires’ in the title - 64GB is isn’t for the required or even recommend specs, it’s a whole tier above that!
You do know many times required is just being generous and sometimes it's even higher in real time results.

Crayon

When I bought my PC, I got 64GB RAM just so I can have some buffer, in the event I would be multi-tasking to an extreme degree. But I'd never imagine a game that will actually use the that much RAM (true next-gen experience?)

And what's with that bandwidth, does this game have to be online to play?

I think it pulls down data for the map. It pulls it from a google earth kind of thing. Maybe someone can correct me on that.

I think it pulls down data for the map. It pulls it from a google earth kind of thing. Maybe someone can correct me on that.
A part of game data streams from MS servers so that users don't have to install 100GB+ game.
I think the game download is 50GB.

Still, I would rather download all data then stream it online due to fluctuating speed.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Imagine paying top of the line hardware to play Microsoft flight simulator

DryvBy

Time for these hardcore PC-only bros to flex on us that also use consoles and how their $2500 rig is able to handle what the Series S will be able to handle.

At the end of the day it's more a simulator than a game. Most people who buy this are actual pilots or aviation nerds which I fall under. The casuals will turn it on a couple of times, get annoyed why the commercial plane wont turn as fast as a fighter jet, realize they cant crash into a building with a loud bang, and realize you have to push like 10 buttons just to take-off, see that it took up 200GB+ without any world update, and uninstall it lol.

My only gripe with FS2020 on XsX is that it felt like they ported the good and the bad from the PC. The UI, atrocious download speeds, insane file size. At least for consoles, they should have another team just to make it a little less cluttered with stuff that is better done with a mouse. I dont get what is up with the DL speeds but if I can download the whole game in under an hour, why does it take an hour to download 6GB of world update for which you have to stare at the DL screen because if you go fly, it stops the download. But yeah its a breathtaking looking game for sure......as long as you are at least 5000ft in the air :p

Last edited:

Rockman33

Flight sim is not my kind of game. But I personally love games that really push the hardware and need a beefy computer. Makes it that much better for people who have the proper setup and gives people who upgrade later a new experience.

(Talking about games that push the current boundaries and not just shit optimization)

nemiroff

Gold Member
A part of game data streams from MS servers so that users don't have to install 100GB+ game.

Still, I would rather download all data then stream it online due to fluctuating speed.

To fly around the world offline in MSFS, you'd need 2 Petabytes (that's 2,000,000 GB) of data, which is more than most drives can handle.. However, you actually can download smaller sections of the world for offline flying.

The installation size has been significantly reduced by better streaming tech, data compression and resource management, also resulting in faster loading times.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

According to the release specs, Microsoft recommends players have at least a AMD Ryzen 7 2700X or Intel Core i7-10700K CPU, an AMD 5700 XT or Nvidia RTX 2080 GPU, and 32GB of RAM for the game. For an “ideal” experience, though, it’s suggested players have a Ryzen 9 7900X or i7-14700K CPU, an RX 7900 XT or RTX 4080 GPU, and a whopping 64GB of RAM in their machine.

There are lower minimum specs for players who just want to play on the lowest-available settings. Those require just a Ryzen 5 2600X or Core i7-6800X CPU, an RX 5700 or RTX 970 GPU, and just 16GB of RAM. So, if you’re worried about not being able to play it at all, you should be able to in some way if you have a remotely modern PC.

bafkreig46bttnxfur6pik4hr3jplhpbvxkzwypbv5u4dvmmdclahhjkw5m@jpeg

In what hell is the gtx970 comparable to an rx5700?

Ozriel

M$FT
What happened to that whole power of the cloud marketing speak.

Low tier shitpost.

You’re not going to have enough storage to download the high res models of the entire earth that they’ve come up with.

Dumb question but I’m confused and concerned - is this being treated as a patch or a standalone that we need to buy as if it’s the next madden?

nemiroff

Gold Member
Dumb question but I’m confused and concerned - is this being treated as a patch or a standalone that we need to buy as if it’s the next madden?

MSFS2024 is a new standalone flight simulator. The Standard Edition is "free" with Game Pass. Otherwise, all the MSFS2024 editions will have to be purchased separately.

Btw, all MSFS2020 content purchased in the MSFS marketplace will transfer to MSFS2024.

If you're not interested in MSFS2024, MSFS2020 will continue on with a 10-year or so support plan.

Last edited:
Top Bottom