• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft rolls out Windows 24H2 update

winjer

Gold Member

For most people, however, you can install Windows 11 version 24H2 starting on October 1st, 2024, when the update began rolling out. It won't be available to everyone immediately, but you can get it faster by enabling the option to get the latest updates as soon as they're available (in the Windows Update section of the Settings app).

PCs that launched with WIndows 11 version 24H2 out of the box will also receive a major update enabling some additional features in version 24H2. The update wasn;t fully completed in time for the launch of those devices, but it contained some fundamental changes to enable new AI-powered experiences, so it had to be released in an unconventional way.
The Windows 11 File Explorer isn't getting a major redesign this time, but it is getting some notable upgrades with this update. For starters, after version 23H2 added support for opening 7Z and TAR files (among other archive types), you'll now be able to create them. Microsoft has added a new dialog that lets you compress files into one of these archives, and you can even choose the compression method and settings you want to use if you need the extra degree of control.
If you're used to the Linux terminal, you may be overjoyed to learn that support for the sudo command is finally coming to Windows 11 with the 2024 Update. Sudo is a simple instructions that allows you to elevate permissions for a command, which is to say, run the command as an administrator. With this command, even if you open a Command prompt as a regular user, you can now run prompts that require administrator privileges within the same window. All you need to do is type sudo before the command you want to run as an administrator.

Windows 11 will include options for how sudo works, such as running the command in a new window or inline, so you can tailor the experience to your preferences.
Microsoft is also doubling down on power-saving features with this update, introducing an Energy Saver mode that can reduce power consumption on both laptops and desktops that don't have batteries. This is an extension of battery saver, which, as the name suggests, was only available on laptops with batteries. With this change, you can reduce the power consumption of your PC at the expense of overall performance, potentially lowering your electricity bill and carbon emissions, which has been a big focus for Microsoft.
While it's not a new feature, it's been confirmed that the next version of Windows will not support 32-bit Arm apps, following in the footsteps of other Arm-centric platforms like Android and iOS.

This release will also include notable improvements for Arm devices, which is a big reason why new devices with the Qualcomm Snapdragon X Elite are launching in the summer. It's not completely clear what these improvements are, but improved performance and efficiency on these kinds of devices would certainly be welcome.
Windows 11 version 24H2 also comes with some improvements for the Quick Settings panel. Now, rather than stacking indefinitely, the quick actions you add show up in pages, so you can scroll between them and not make the Quick Settings panel bigger by adding more actions.

How to get Windows 11 version 24H2​

Installing Windows 11 version 24H2 should be a fairly straightforward process, as has been the case for most Windows updates in the past decade. All you need to do is open the Settings app and click Check for updates. If you want to get the update sooner, you'll have to enable the toggle that says Get the latest updates as soon as they're available.

Get the latest updates as soon as they're available Windows 11 update

The update will download and install automatically after that, and you just have to restart your PC when prompted. It's always recommended to back up important data before an update, though in theory, nothing should happen to it during the process.

This update brings several improvements to the UI. New features like Copilot and support for USB4 and Wifi 7.
And optimizations that improve gaming performance in Intel and AMD CPUs.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
How do i check if an update actually get installed or not? Where do i see the latest update that was installed.

With this fucking broken windows i don't know if i actually install shit or not.

Open the Settings menu. Then click on System. Then click on About.

Then look at Windows Specifications.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Still on Windows 10. Tempted to install it now that its promising a CPU uplift. I wonder if it will help with RT games, but i have an intel CPU so the performance improvements are minor.

winjer

Gold Member
On 23H2 11 Pro, turned on "get latest updates ASAP", don't see it.

They release the update in waves, for random users.
If the update doesn't show for you, you can download the ISO, extract it, then run the exe.
It will ask you if you want to upgrade and if you want to keep your files and settings.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Yea I'll just wait for the 9800x3d. Rumors saying it comes out this year. The 7800x3d is over 400 dollars right now. If I'm spending over $400 on a CPU, might as well go all in and get current gen tech.

Last edited:
Will this one fix the issue where my work PC doesn’t render the desktop when I unlock it in the morning?

Literally, I wait 5 minutes for the taskbar to appear.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Still on Windows 10. Tempted to install it now that its promising a CPU uplift. I wonder if it will help with RT games, but i have an intel CPU so the performance improvements are minor.
I recommend it. As someone who's had access to Windows 11 for years, I just did it at the behest of some fine gentlemen on this forum and that CPU uplift is the real deal. I updated everything, including my bios. Sitting prettier when streaming and running a demanding game, at the same time. No regrets.... so far.

What about the Media Creation Tool?
Yea I'll try it. I am stuck at the "Validating your request. This may take several minutes. Do not refresh the page or select back, doing so will cancel the request." screen.

Edit: That worked - thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:

El Muerto

Gold Member
Must.... resist... updating to win11....
Windows releases always had a bad version after a good one -eg. Win98>Win2000, Xp>Vista, Win7>Win8. But the jump from Win10 to Win11 seems like going from Win95 to Win98. I might cave and update tonight after seeing these optimizations.

winjer

Gold Member
Day 2, still not available via windows update for me
They must be rolling it out slooooowly

Microsoft is a bit busy now, as they just released another broken update for Windows 23H2, that is causing lot's crashes. MS is doing a rollback, but a lot of people are affected.
The update is an optional one for Windows 23H2 with the number KB5043145. So if you see it on the Windows update, avoid it like the plague.

Bojji

Microsoft is a bit busy now, as they just released another broken update for Windows 23H2, that is causing lot's crashes. MS is doing a rollback, but a lot of people are affected.
The update is an optional one for Windows 23H2 with the number KB5043145. So if you see it on the Windows update, avoid it like the plague.

Started installing it 10 seconds before reading this post, holy shit :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I will force install 24H2 after that.

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
Did the update last night, Didn't take but a few seconds. I was expecting some long updating progress bars, but it went fast. Also updated the Nvidia Drivers. Tuesdays be like that.

RespawnX

Must.... resist... updating to win11....
Windows releases always had a bad version after a good one -eg. Win98>Win2000, Xp>Vista, Win7>Win8. But the jump from Win10 to Win11 seems like going from Win95 to Win98. I might cave and update tonight after seeing these optimizations.

After a rather rough start from a user experience perspective (Win8 vibes), Windows 11 has actually blossomed into a solid system. With Windows 8(.1), Microsoft pulled the ripcord faster and released 10 instead ... which felt more like an 8.2. Vista was a gigantic leap compared to XP and failed mainly due to the increased hardware requirements.. 11 performs well and the bottom line is that I have fewer bugs and problems than with 10. The Windows Store in particular works much better and more smoothly with 11.

The fact that Windows updates tend to blow up from time to time is a continuous development at Microsoft. This happens when you outsource quality assurance to the community and AI instead of paying experts to do it.

Celcius

°Temp. member
oof I just installed that update yesterday :messenger_face_screaming:
Haven't had any issues so far though thankfully

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
oof I just installed that update yesterday :messenger_face_screaming:
Haven't had any issues so far though thankfully

It's not the end of the world. But if you get any bsods, now you know the reason.
Regardless, MS is removing that update and will release a fixed update in the next few days.

Did not appeared here yet, hope it installs smoothly.

Don't know if you remember @ winjer winjer , I was getting constant errors no matter what i tried. Thankfully "Reinstall current version of Windows to repair windows system files and components." worked.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Just a heads up, people that have installed 24H2, might see an optional update named KB5043178.
And of course, it's also broken. For this one, the scf /scannow will constantly report there are errors with the Windows installation, when in reality there are not.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I still only see Cumulative Update Preview 23H2 (which I keep avoiding anyway) for around the past fortnight.

Haven't seen any finalised update.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Just a heads up, people that have installed 24H2, might see an optional update named KB5043178.
And of course, it's also broken. For this one, the scf /scannow will constantly report there are errors with the Windows installation, when in reality there are not.
Well of course 'scf' will result in an error, the command is 'sfc'!

Joking aside, for all the times I ran that piece of shit I don't know if it has ever actually fixed a problem with my Windows install.

Biggest QoL upgrade with Windows in recent years is the WSL stuff... whenever I actually have to use a DOS window for something it's like I'm in purgatory. PowerShell could almost be okay, but the absurd verbosity of the commands is just too much.

Win 11 definitely needed a couple of years but it's pretty okay now by Windows standards. But you still have to reboot it. Second day and you're already feeling that patented crustiness.

winjer

Gold Member
Well of course 'scf' will result in an error, the command is 'sfc'!

Joking aside, for all the times I ran that piece of shit I don't know if it has ever actually fixed a problem with my Windows install.

Biggest QoL upgrade with Windows in recent years is the WSL stuff... whenever I actually have to use a DOS window for something it's like I'm in purgatory. PowerShell could almost be okay, but the absurd verbosity of the commands is just too much.

Win 11 definitely needed a couple of years but it's pretty okay now by Windows standards. But you still have to reboot it. Second day and you're already feeling that patented crustiness.

Yeah, SFC is only good for smaller problems.
It's better to use DISM to repair Windows.

Top Bottom