• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

Enron

Banned
Help GAF, I can't find the perfect mouse. I need a bluetooth mouse without a dongle that has a physical forward/back button and a mouse wheel. I couldn't stand the arc surface. Amazon searching is coming up with nothing real good. Most I can find that fit my description are low-rated.
This one looked fitting but people say it idles too fast and takes long to restablish connection

There's a MS bluetooth mouse branded especially for windows 8 that might work. not sure if its got a forward/back button on it, though.

Sketchbook Pro works with the new pen on the SP3? I know it's compatible with Manga Studio, I remember seeing that.

Sounds like Sketchbook Pro will probably be a better deal if it works. I guess I have to see how much use I get out of Lightroom.

Manga Studio 5 or better yet, Clip Studio Paint is $50. For $5 more, you get a much better app.

ksdixon

What can the usb port on the surface pro powerbrick 'actually' be used for?

it never seems to power my usb mouse or usb pendrive, is it literally a charging plug only?

Surface Pro could do with one more usb port, if only because using a bluetooth mouse interfers with the wifi, so I currently have to swap my usb mouse and my usb pendrive all the damn time.

What can the usb port on the surface pro powerbrick 'actually' be used for?

it never seems to power my usb mouse or usb pendrive, is it literally a charging plug only?

Surface Pro could do with one more usb port, if only because using a bluetooth mouse interfers with the wifi, so I currently have to swap my usb mouse and my usb pendrive all the damn time.

It is literally a charging plug only, yes.

Manga Studio 5 or better yet, Clip Studio Paint is $50. For $5 more, you get a much better app.

So Manga Studio and Clip Studio Paint are better than Sketchbook?

I was going to buy Sketchbook quite a while ago but ended up holding off on it for whatever reason. But when I do buy it I can buy other apps if they're generally better. What's Manga Studio and CSP doing that are better than Sketchbook?

So what's the general opinion on this device for GAF? Still going back and forth between this and a rMBP but sort of leaning on towards this because I have a 2012 MBP that's still performing pretty well while I don't have a reliable Windows device outside of my half dead Toshiba. lol

Schlep

Only odd thing about GAF on it is the text is a bit small at 150% (standard) zoom. Seems to be one of the few websites where that's the case.

Kibbles

There's a MS bluetooth mouse branded especially for windows 8 that might work. not sure if its got a forward/back button on it, though.
It doesn't which makes me sad. I just got the gigabyte once since apparently the reports about it losing connection after being idle for a short time are just because people didn't change their Bluetooth power saving settings.

segasonic

You plugged your mouse into the USB port of the power adapter and expected it to work?

94408-Ice-Cube-HUH-wtf-WHAT-THE-FUCK-4pAG.gif

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So what's the general opinion on this device for GAF? Still going back and forth between this and a rMBP but sort of leaning on towards this because I have a 2012 MBP that's still performing pretty well while I don't have a reliable Windows device outside of my half dead Toshiba. lol

What are you going to be using it for?

I think the general consensus seems to be that it's neither the best pure tablet nor the best pure laptop but can be both things to a reasonably high degree so the benefit is not having to have 2 devices. The best thing it's a very light tablet that can run full windows software but it's not as light as an iPad Air, for example.

The other thing is the pen which makes it great for drawing and note taking.

Personally I love it. I find it light enough to use a tablet, the screen is gorgeous, the kickstand makes finding a comfortable position for drawing or browsing really easy and if I need to I can attach the keyboard and it becomes a very good ultrabook.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
If any of you ordered a Surface, and it was scheduled to ship by the 20th, but shipped after the 20th, then call MS and complain. They refunded me $110 on my 256g version.

What are you going to be using it for?

I think the general consensus seems to be that it's neither the best pure tablet nor the best pure laptop but can be both things to a reasonably high degree so the benefit is not having to have 2 devices. The best thing it's a very light tablet that can run full windows software but it's not as light as an iPad Air, for example.

The other thing is the pen which makes it great for drawing and note taking.

Personally I love it. I find it light enough to use a tablet, the screen is gorgeous, the kickstand makes finding a comfortable position for drawing or browsing really easy and if I need to I can attach the keyboard and it becomes a very good ultrabook.

Using CS6 for school (Web Design), Microsoft Office, Skype, some light gaming, and of course the usuals like browsing.

So Manga Studio and Clip Studio Paint are better than Sketchbook?

I was going to buy Sketchbook quite a while ago but ended up holding off on it for whatever reason. But when I do buy it I can buy other apps if they're generally better. What's Manga Studio and CSP doing that are better than Sketchbook?

The brush engine on CSP/MS5 is so much smoother nuanced and more responsive then SBP, there is no comparison. Also, the latest version of CSP/MS5 does not allow touch to make makrs, which means the best possible palm rejection as well.

The brush engine on CSP/MS5 is so much smoother nuanced and more responsive then SBP, there is no comparison. Also, the latest version of CSP/MS5 does not allow touch to make makrs, which means the best possible palm rejection as well.

Neat. The stray marks were a little frustrating when I was on the Sketchbook trial. I might have to check out the both of them.

Are CSP and MS5 neck-and-neck or is one better than the other?

bill0527

This device is very tempting but I have some serious concerns about Microsofts app availability.

I work in real estate and many of the apps I use aren't available on Microsofts store. None of the trulia apps or homes app.

So then the obvious answer is, just use the websites themselves since you have access to a desktop environment.

So then my retort is: if I wanted to do that, then why not just buy a full fledged laptop.

I am very intrigued though by the stylus as I think in theory, can have my clients digitally sign their listing agreements or purchase agreements right there on the device and I can immediately email them the signed copy.

And I'm also somewhat into the Microsoft ecosystem already because I subscribe to office 365 and I'm looking forward to that 1TB of OneDrive storage next month.

I don't know...I'm really on the fence about this one.

bill0527 said:
This device is very tempting but I have some serious concerns about Microsofts app availability.

I work in real estate and many of the apps I use aren't available on Microsofts store. None of the trulia apps or homes app.

So then the obvious answer is, just use the websites themselves since you have access to a desktop environment.

So then my retort is: if I wanted to do that, then why not just buy a full fledged laptop.

I am very intrigued though by the stylus as I think in theory, can have my clients digitally sign their listing agreements or purchase agreements right there on the device and I can immediately email them the signed copy.

And I'm also somewhat into the Microsoft ecosystem already because I subscribe to office 365 and I'm looking forward to that 1TB of OneDrive storage next month.

I think you should get it, if not for the added convenience of having your clients sign their agreements and have that emailed on the post. Yes at a whopping 12" it does not feel as portable as it's predecessor, and at that cost you could probably just get a yoga 2 or something.

Going back to portability and convenience, I think you should go for it. Unless you want to use the app version of trulia, in that case you can't go wrong buying a keyboard cover and since you have office 365, kind of seems like an obvious choice. Your clients can still sign their agreements on an ipad.

kazinova

looooving this device. I'm biased though.

What a homer!

Seriously, though, have you not had access to any SP3s until release?

I used to tell people that the SP1 was a great device with some drawbacks. Now I'm happy to report that the SP3 is my favorite piece of tech ever.

Jeff-DSA

I just know that if I walk into a Microsoft store that I'll walk out with an SP3 (or at least have one ordered). I kinda want to go by the Microsoft store at lunch...

Lucis

does CTRL ALT A zoom in the screen? (only happen on my SP3)
I have another program I use that uses that hot key and I would like to disable the zoom. My other windows 8 and windows 8.1 pc does not have this key registered for some reason. Anyone know which program/system setting this is?

What a homer!

Seriously, though, have you not had access to any SP3s until release?

I used to tell people that the SP1 was a great device with some drawbacks. Now I'm happy to report that the SP3 is my favorite piece of tech ever.

I have not. My roommate is working on stuff related to touch, so he had some access before it was announced. He recently moved into that group, and has to use touch screens (tablets) on a daily basis for development.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

I think the main difference is portability and being able to use it as a tablet. I don't know how it is in real estate but I imagine it would be quite handy to be able to be holding the device in one hand while showing information about houses to the clients, plus being able to take notes with the pen at the same time in something like One Note and then if you needed to you could snap on the keyboard and still use it as a laptop.

The point is having all your desktop software with you but having the convenience of being able to use it as a tablet.

Animator said:
It is way more portable than it's predecessor due to being half the thickness and weight.

Seems to me the actual size is kind of cumbersome. Personally I would consider other solutions. However, the stylus features(if I was an artist or needed to take notes) seem to make it worth the purchase to some or rather, is the deciding factor for most.

The thickness and weight do not seem to be much of a factor to me being at around 8 inches and some change. 12 just seems like it's to big.

AlexMogil

I'd like to ask people what they think of Windows 8 now that it is on a tablet that takes real advantage of it? Do *you* think Metro is good now?

I'd like to ask people what they think of Windows 8 now that it is on a tablet that takes real advantage of it? Do *you* think Metro is good now?

For the brief time I had it (sent it to my Mom for her birthday) I can say Metro is still just as useless as it ever was. I used the desktop for everything except comics and drawing, even using just the touchscreen.

dLMN8R

In general across all devices, I've found that the metro side of things is far better about battery efficiency. If I'm using any desktop application - especially Chrome - battery life absolutely tanks. Same with most Destkop video players, especially VLC.

If I use metro apps for everything, battery drains much slower and far more consistently, even if I'm multitasking.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I use metro for just about everything on my surface unless there is something that is not available or doesn't work, then I fall back to the desktop. On my desktop, it is the opposite, stick to the desktop and only use metro for a few things like netflix.
In general across all devices, I've found that the metro side of things is far better about battery efficiency. If I'm using any desktop application - especially Chrome - battery life absolutely tanks. Same with most Destkop video players, especially VLC.

If I use metro apps for everything, battery drains much slower and far more consistently, even if I'm multitasking.
yep, same experience here.

fauxtrot

Banned
I'm thinking about picking up one of these, but I'm curious about whether or not I should put a screen protector on it... I've heard people talk about getting scratches on their SP1s, but I'm not sure if they're using the same glass in the SP3s. Has anyone heard?

Also, do you think if I bought one online (to get my student discount), I could take it into the local MS store and have them put on a screen protector for me? I really don't want to deal with bubbles/dust under the thing!

Enron

Banned
I'm thinking about picking up one of these, but I'm curious about whether or not I should put a screen protector on it... I've heard people talk about getting scratches on their SP1s, but I'm not sure if they're using the same glass in the SP3s. Has anyone heard?

Also, do you think if I bought one online (to get my student discount), I could take it into the local MS store and have them put on a screen protector for me? I really don't want to deal with bubbles/dust under the thing!

I honestly have no idea how people put scratches on their SPs. i have an sp1 and unless you are jabbing your screen with something harder than the glass, you shouldnt get scratches. keep it out of the sand i guess? Dont tap it with your keys?

Dead

well not really...yet
Bought an arc mouse and surprised how nice it feels. Was worried I wouldnt be able to turn off the dumb sound and vibration for scrolling, but there is a surface app to edit the settings for the mouse. Love the convenience of being able to flatten it. Seems perfect for traveling.

dLMN8R

I love the Arc mouse because its design is so obvious: If I want to travel with it, I want it to be flat, and I also want it to be off. So, naturally, flat = off.

Personally I love the haptic feedback on the scrolling but can understand why someone wouldn't.

bill0527

Ok so I decided to pick one up and wow...what a terrible experience at Best Buy. There is no Microsoft Store near me and I know Best Buy had them because they were in this weeks ad.

The salesperson insisted that I had to buy the Stylus because it didn't come with the device. So I paid $50 for the stylus. I also bought the Type Cover.

Get home - uhhh yeah it comes with a Stylus. And...he sent me home with a Type 2 cover, which does work but it doesn't cover the tablet.

So I made the drive back to Best Buy, got refunded for the extra stylus, went to swap the Type 2 cover for a Type 3 cover and they didn't have any. None nada, never once even received any in the store. And the salespeople in that department were all kinds of confused. I had to get the ad to show them that yes there is such a thing as a Type 2 cover and a Type 3 cover, and the ad specifically says Type 3 cover right there with the device.

I can't be too hard on retail salespeople because I worked my decade of retail hell myself many years ago. But seriously...I guess all you need to collect a paycheck at Best Buy is enthusiasm because you apparently don't need the first clue about what you're actually selling.

I guess I'll order the correct keyboard directly from Microsoft. In the meantime, I guess any generic USB keyboard will work if I plug it into the USB port?

dLMN8R

Ok so I decided to pick one up and wow...what a terrible experience at Best Buy. There is no Microsoft Store near me and I know Best Buy had them because they were in this weeks ad.

The salesperson insisted that I had to buy the Stylus because it didn't come with the device. So I paid $50 for the stylus. I also bought the Type Cover.

Get home - uhhh yeah it comes with a Stylus. And...he sent me home with a Type 2 cover, which does work but it doesn't cover the tablet.

So I made the drive back to Best Buy, got refunded for the extra stylus, went to swap the Type 2 cover for a Type 3 cover and they didn't have any. None nada, never once even received any in the store. And the salespeople in that department were all kinds of confused. I had to get the ad to show them that yes there is such a thing as a Type 2 cover and a Type 3 cover, and the ad specifically says Type 3 cover right there with the device.

I can't be too hard on retail salespeople because I worked my decade of retail hell myself many years ago. But seriously...I guess all you need to collect a paycheck at Best Buy is enthusiasm because you apparently don't need the first clue about what you're actually selling.

I guess I'll order the correct keyboard directly from Microsoft. In the meantime, I guess any generic USB keyboard will work if I plug it into the USB port?

Let me know which specific Best Buy it was and I can forward it along to the right people who can improve things. PM is fine if you don't want to put it out there.

Jeff-DSA

WTF, Best Buy? I went in to look at them and a salesman approached. Told him I was interested and he starts talking about laptops that the screen folds flat. I said that I had one of those and due to the bulk I didn't use it as a tablet much at all. He then starts telling me about how the Surface is a flimsy product and that's why he doesn't like it. He went on to say that iPads won head to head in all his tests as well. Cool.

I bet Microsoft would be thrilled to know that the Best Buy salesman here is just dissing the product. It made me uncomfortable trying to look at it while he was bashing it, so I tried the pen out for a bit (impressive!) and bailed out.

I'll check it out more at a Microsoft store this weekend.

rtcn63

I worked at Best Buy. Quite a few people would just straight up lie, and not always out of ignorance. Had one guy tell a customer I was ringing up that you needed a Wii Motion Plus remote to play all Wii games from then (the release of the remote) onward.

bill0527

I don't know the store number but the one I went to is located in Evansville, IN.

Fake edit: oh wait, I've got my receipt right here. It's store number 227.

Real edit: Just so you know this isn't internet BS.

image-11.jpg

Top Bottom