• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

Enron

Banned
i was going to buy the arc touch surface mouse but i decided that no buttons = fuck this and passed. poking the screen is good enough for me for now.

Future

Everything was actually super smooth for me until I installed all those updates. Making the love affair with this thing a little sour.

I actually like it a lot. I think the keyboard, touchpad and everything is fine. People bitch about windows 8 but it's actually pretty good for the surface. When i am chillin in tablet mode I tend to use the metro apps. When I want to be productive I go to the desktop and run productivity software. Transition between is fast since the windows key goes right to metro, and win+d goes right to the desktop (like in all windows versions).

I don't have any pen problems. Downloaded sketchbook and was doodling just fine. Entered one note and got used to handwriting on this thing....pretty good once you get used to the sensitivity

But man, it lost its polish once I did these updates. Now it's freezing and becoming unresponsive once in awhile without me doing much besides running Firefox. This is actually the kind of thing I was worried about with windows...updates or installing certain software can often fuck shit up across the board. Installing an app or update for ipad would never do anything like this... Especially after 3 days of release!

Will keep my eye on this. 30 day return policy. I hope I don't have to return it do to software bugs and shit, cuz it's a pretty damn sleek device. But a brand new flagship device like this should be smooth as butter. If there are hitches now, things aren't lookin good when there are serious windows updates in the future

Apath

i was going to buy the arc touch surface mouse but i decided that no buttons = fuck this and passed. poking the screen is good enough for me for now.
What do you mean by no buttons? The left and right click are mechanical buttons if that's what you mean.

I wonder if I could pick one of these up, use it for work and claim it as a tax deduction in the coming financial year.

Will have to ask an accountant or something how that shit all works.

It is far from a perfect product. Hardly anything is intuitive on it. The touchpad is small, terribad and hardly recognizes any gestures. Most things look like shit due to the resolution, which makes gaming kind of an oddball too. The constant switching from desktop to 'surface' is a headache. The keyboard feels cheap and overpriced. I hate that the start button takes you to the stupid tile mode which makes any refining/deep setup digging a headache. Apps are limited. All text is small because of the rez, and zooming/adjusting causes more issues than it's worth. I've had several hard locks. The pen is neat, but writing in OneNote is still not good In a traditional sense- it's hard to write small and for it to register it. There are a dozen of neat concepts, but it lacks a streamlined experience. It's a concern that in it's 3rd iteration, I'm experiencing all this stuff. I could honestly keep going, but yeah, at $1200 for the entire package, I expect a better product. All my complaints are just my own and I acknowledge that, and I'm sure there's a workaround for most, but that shouldn't be needed- it should just be a better experience. I'm sorry if I'm shitting on it too much, but I was really psyched for this product and I'm left somewhat disappointed.

Sounds like most of your complaints are about windows 8.1 rather than the device itself. (Outside of the complaints about the keyboard and trackpad)

If you're used to a mac (which if I remember correctly from earlier in the thread, you have a macbook air that you love) and you moved to a Surface your complaints make a lot more sense. Windows 8 is a jarring experience, particularly to people who don't spend most of their time in windows. The trackpad on the new typecover is far superior than the one on the previous 2 surface pro models, but it still doesn't come close to the macbook air's trackpad. I think Microsoft was foolish to make that comparison, because there are many ways in which the Air is a superior machine.

Hopefully by the time Windows 9 comes out they'll have streamlined the experience a bit more than it currently is, because I know that a lot of people have trouble with windows 8 and hate using it.

Draper

Sounds like most of your complaints are about windows 8.1 rather than the device itself. (Outside of the complaints about the keyboard and trackpad)

If you're used to a mac (which if I remember correctly from earlier in the thread, you have a macbook air that you love) and you moved to a Surface your complaints make a lot more sense. Windows 8 is a jarring experience, particularly to people who don't spend most of their time in windows. The trackpad on the new typecover is far superior than the one on the previous 2 surface pro models, but it still doesn't come close to the macbook air's trackpad. I think Microsoft was foolish to make that comparison, because there are many ways in which the Air is a superior machine.

Hopefully by the time Windows 9 comes out they'll have streamlined the experience a bit more than it currently is, because I know that a lot of people have trouble with windows 8 and hate using it.

Yeah, I definitely do believe that my time with a MacBook Air for the past few years makes the transition to Windows a jarring and bitter experience. Regardless, I'm still trying to give it all a fighting chance. So what's the go-to drawing app/program that utilizes the ntrig's potential?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual

I do think there are some existing issues with these things that don't seem to have been addressed (still) - the Wifi issues have been rampant since the SP1, the Type Covers are riddled with bugs registering ctrl/alt/shift etc as being held down when they aren't (causing problems with Creative Suite and keyboard shortcuts). The "Metro" style UI grafted onto desktop Win8 is still super jarring - and stuff like not allowing fullscreen Metro IE unless it's set as the default browser is just puzzling and downright annoying. It isn't polished enough for what they're trying to achieve (yet), IMO.

There is a lot to like, and I've had a lot of goodwill built up by this product over the last few months of owning it, but i'm a little sour on it now because after those niggles, mine totally packed it in last week and I had to ship it off to MS. Thank god I use a daily backup service.

They were supposed to be keeping me updated with what's going on with it but its been over 5 days and I haven't heard a peep. Their 'status' tool online just says 'in progress' which isn't helpful at all.

I mean, failures happen, but I guess I'm just used to Apple's excellent and super fast service/swapovers. Microsoft market this thing as a 'Pro' device then expect professionals to wait upwards of a week for a replacement when it breaks. Pretty poor. I'm having to use my bf's shitty HP laptop in the meantime.

While I love the small form factor of the SP and the Wacom integration, part of me is regretting moving over from my MBP now. I doubt I'd go with a Surface again - the support isn't good enough if something goes wrong.

Tablo

^Woot woot.
I'm green with envy still being on my Surface Pro 1...
Though I won't drop 1K more on a portable device until Broadwell comes to the Surface line. That's going to be insanely great tech wise.

Nero3000

^Woot woot.
I'm green with envy still being on my Surface Pro 1...
Though I won't drop 1K more on a portable device until Broadwell comes to the Surface line. That's going to be insanely great tech wise.

Same boat.

Although "Windows 9" is going to be the main driver of a big jump and that applies to all Surface Pros.

Zaptruder

Banned
After learning about the forced throttling of the SP3, I decided to buy a SP2 instead.

Oh well. Save $800 on similar hardware. Could be much worse. Here's hoping I don't regret the decision right away D:

Alx

That new stand seems great functionally, but I think I'll always love the inconvenient, single-position stand on my Surface RT1, if only for its "click" sound (the one that was meant to remember slamming the door of a Porsche, according to the designers).

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
WiFi issues still not solved? Wow

Had those since the first Surface RT.

Looks like its been solved now. btw I have a question. I don't see sleep option on mine. Even in the power setting there is Hibernate, Shut Down and Restart.

Totakeke

Didn't know OS X extends the idle battery life quite significantly compared to Win8. Certainly an awesome review. I wonder if Microsoft will come out and acknowledge the performance drops due to throttling. I also wonder if Microsoft has closing the duration gap from wake as one of their main agendas moving forward.

Edit: I just realized his SP3 looks like a white version. What's up with that? :p

kazinova

The Surface Pro 3 might have taken the crown of "nicest piece of technology I've ever owned". It's almost the perfect device for me.

Thinking about picking up the 256 GB SP3 after work today. Had the first Pro since Day 1 and kinda want the new one for next semester. Was gonna wait for the i7 but can't justify the cost to myself.

IronChef

Banned

It seems to me that the new form factor is just begging for the next gen chip (Broadwell) to be put in it. Performance seems to have taken a hit from the SP2 due to less space available for cooling, but should leap ahead again in all categories with the next upgrade.

I predict there will be a refresh of the SP3 at this Christmas, and become one of the first devices with Broadwell.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
It seems to me that the new form factor is just begging for the next gen chip (Broadwell) to be put in it. Performance seems to have taken a hit from the SP2 due to less space available for cooling, but should leap ahead again in all categories with the next upgrade.

I predict there will be a refresh of the SP3 at this Christmas, and become one of the first devices with Broadwell.

With 3 versions of SP in 16 or so months, I think it's nearly certain that we'll see a refresh this winter. I honestly expect the next version to perfect. MS is listening and responding to complaints pretty well so far when it comes to SP.

IronChef

Banned
With 3 versions of SP in 16 or so months, I think it's nearly certain that we'll see a refresh this winter. I honestly expect the next version to perfect. MS is listening and responding to complaints pretty well so far when it comes to SP.

Not expecting perfection, but expecting "good enough" on the next revision.

For perfection, they've still got a ways to go to reach the following targets of what I would consider perfect:
- Weighs less than 1 pound
- Actually fanless (no vents), but still high performance
- 12hr battery (on heavy use)
- USB charging as an option (in addition to quicker powerbrick charging)
- No lag in waking up (Anandtech reports 1.3 seconds of lag)
- <10ms pen latency (currently 75ms)
- Back to 1024 levels of pen pressure
- At least 1 more USB port (maybe an extra microUSB 3.1 port at least)
- A solid keyboard attachment option (that doubles as extended 24hr battery)
- Built-in GPS and LTE option (make it a fully independent device)

Those are probably 5+ revisions away (if ever).

God, that $650 trade-in offer for the Macbook Air is pretty tempting. I have a 2010 one I want to dump, but it really sucks that the base i3 model only has 64GB. Been spoiled as my Air has 256gb of space.

f0lken

Not expecting perfection, but expecting "good enough" on the next revision.

For perfection, they've still got a ways to go to reach the following targets of what I would consider perfect:
- Weighs less than 1 pound
- Actually fanless (no vents), but still high performance
- 12hr battery (on heavy use)
- USB charging as an option (in addition to quicker powerbrick charging)
- No lag in waking up (Anandtech reports 1.3 seconds of lag)
- <10ms pen latency (currently 75ms)
- Back to 1024 levels of pen pressure
- At least 1 more USB port (maybe an extra microUSB 3.1 port at least)
- A solid keyboard attachment option (that doubles as extended 24hr battery)
- Built-in GPS and LTE option (make it a fully independent device)

Those are probably 5+ revisions away (if ever).

An extra USB port, and no lag in waking up are two of my most waited features. but lets be realistic, a 12hr battery on heavy use means like 20+ hours on normal, light use, no one is reaching that level in the coming years, especially because we demand lighter devices and batteries are one of the heaviest components of a tablet/pc

God, that $650 trade-in offer for the Macbook Air is pretty tempting. I have a 2010 one I want to dump, but it really sucks that the base i3 model only has 64GB. Been spoiled as my Air has 256gb of space.

The kicker is "up to". You may need a 2013 MBA to get $650.

I think if it's still working you'll be better off selling your MBA locally or even eBay.

I wish it told you upfront what you would get. I'd rather not drive 20 miles just to be told I might only get $500 or less for my 2012 model.

Sai

Might be a bit unrealistic to hope for any of the later iterations in the near future to be 1lb and have 12-hours of heavy-use battery life. :p

Definitely needs GPS & LTE. Don't think I'll be replacing my Pro 2 until that's in.

dLMN8R

I don't think you should expect any full PC to get built-in mobile broadband any time soon. Certifying Windows RT devices was difficult enough since mobile operators are (rightfully) paranoid about rogue services using too much bandwidth, but a fully x86 device? Probably never going to happen any time in the next few years.

Internet sharing FTW

dLMN8R

I don't think so. Best I've seen is PCs coming with a USB dongle or something.

It's not just the complexities of certification, it's also the simple fact that it's far more expensive to add a mobile broadband chip to a laptop than it is to get an integrated SOC that already has mobile broadband.

IronChef

Banned
An extra USB port, and no lag in waking up are two of my most waited features. but lets be realistic, a 12hr battery on heavy use means like 20+ hours on normal, light use, no one is reaching that level in the coming years, especially because we demand lighter devices and batteries are one of the heaviest components of a tablet/pc

Yeah I wasn't being realistic, I was being idealistic on a potential perfect device.

A revolution in battery tech can't come soon enough. I've heard of plenty of reports of alternative battery techs over the years, none of which has seen the light of day.

That said, kudos to MS for what they've already achieved with the SP3. It is almost shocking how much thinner and lighter it is compared to the original, in only 16 months.

Sai

I don't think you should expect any full PC to get built-in mobile broadband any time soon. Certifying Windows RT devices was difficult enough since mobile operators are (rightfully) paranoid about rogue services using too much bandwidth, but a fully x86 device? Probably never going to happen any time in the next few years.

Internet sharing FTW
Doesn't that Dell Venue Pro have LTE?

[EDIT] - Whoops. Should've read ahead.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Since my online order isn't shipping anytime soon apparently, I just decided to buy it locally. Ordered a 256 gig online. Go, pick it up, get home, and set it up. Awesome... until I realized that they gave me the 128 gig version :\ I hope they don't give me any grief.

Dead

well not really...yet
Rdio app is pretty decent. I am using that instead of the browser one now.
Ive never used rdio before and im finding it to be pretty decent.

To be honest, I grew to quite like Beats music. Doubtful we'll see a W8 app now that Apple's bought em...

In the meantime I got the Sonos desktop app since theres no mobile Windows app, so hopefully thats in the pipeline at some point in the future. I guess Ill install the Spotify program as well...

As far as video apps, the only one im missing is the crunchyroll app, but since they have a WP app, hopefully an 8 one is in the works, either way, the site itself works fine.

Top Bottom