• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

I just picked one of these up. Not happy with it at all. Cant customize the pen buttons, onscreen keyboard is one of the worst I've used. Screen is just to big to use comfortable as a tablet. Had to spend a good couple hours troubleshooting issues with surface hub and getting updates to work. Man, this thing has just been problem after problem.

valeo

I just picked one of these up. Not happy with it at all. Cant customize the pen buttons, onscreen keyboard is one of the worst I've used. Screen is just to big to use comfortable as a tablet. Had to spend a good couple hours troubleshooting issues with surface hub and getting updates to work. Man, this thing has just been problem after problem.

Do you not try things at the store prior to buying?...

Do you not try things at the store prior to buying?...

Store Trail ≠ Real World Use.

The time I spent on it at the store was great actually. Both the Microsoft rep I spoke to and the sales rep told me the buttons were remapable. When you go to the store you cant not sit down in a chair and use this as a typical tablet. Spending more time with it I realized this tablet works a strange middle ground where it's not fully functional in tablet mode, but doesn't work as well as a laptop because of the weight on the screen so normal laptop use was not comfortable for me. Fans were always kicking on for me too, they were pretty loud.

I think I'm going to stick with having my tablet and laptop separate devices.

Store Trail ≠ Real World Use.

The time I spent on it at the store was great actually. Both the Microsoft rep I spoke to and the sales rep told me the buttons were remapable. When you go to the store you cant not sit down in a chair and use this as a typical tablet. Spending more time with it I realized this tablet works a strange middle ground where it's not fully functional in tablet mode, but doesn't work as well as a laptop because of the weight on the screen so normal laptop use was not comfortable for me. Fans were always kicking on for me too, they were pretty loud.

I think I'm going to stick with having my tablet and laptop separate devices.

Which model do you have?

SerTapTap

My fan on the i5 only kicks on when playing games, doing videos or other intensive things (usually videos, I use it as a laptop/tablet replacement and have a desktop for games). Though sometimes Chrome derps up and uses a full CPU core for no reason at all and I have to close and reopen. Chrome seems to hate it but everything else works well. I've actually been using IE since metroIE is so much more touch friendly than desktop chrome.

You're 100% up to date now, right? Might as well not even use devices like this until they're fully up to date.

Functions perfectly well for me in tablet mode, but I never bought into any "ecosystem" and have almost no "tablet" apps. I just use the web browser like 90% of the time in tablet mode, use it to read stuff or watch stuff.

Lucifon

My fan on the i5 only kicks on when playing games, doing videos or other intensive things (usually videos, I use it as a laptop/tablet replacement and have a desktop for games). Though sometimes Chrome derps up and uses a full CPU core for no reason at all and I have to close and reopen. Chrome seems to hate it but everything else works well. I've actually been using IE since metroIE is so much more touch friendly than desktop chrome.

You're 100% up to date now, right? Might as well not even use devices like this until they're fully up to date.

Functions perfectly well for me in tablet mode, but I never bought into any "ecosystem" and have almost no "tablet" apps. I just use the web browser like 90% of the time in tablet mode, use it to read stuff or watch stuff.

Don't suppose you know if the fans kick up when watching Youtube videos through Hyper?

Surface UK tweeted me back today after asking if they were doing any Black Friday deals with "we'll be posting information about that soon ;-)"

SerTapTap

Don't suppose you know if the fans kick up when watching Youtube videos through Hyper?

Surface UK tweeted me back today after asking if they were doing any Black Friday deals with "we'll be posting information about that soon ;-)"

I kind of assume so? Almost anyting with video decoding seems to be just enough to kick it on a bit. Anything over about 10% sustained CPU usage.

It's not bad fan noise, the first step is something like a pretty quiet laptop, though at the very top range (only heard it while gaming) it's about as loud as a standard laptop will get (but not as loud as many monstrosities I've heard). It's in the same "not loud enough to hear over what I'm playing" bracket sort of like my PS4 (the PS4 is MUCH louder, but also farther away and I play games with much higher volume on it.)

Corgi

Banned
thinking of picking one of these up during black fridays. Is the official keyboard necessary?

Seems ridiculously expensive for something that looks pretty crummy built quality wise (from hands on at best buy).

Are there any alternative keyboards/trackpads worth a damn?

SerTapTap

thinking of picking one of these up during black fridays. Is the official keyboard necessary?

Seems ridiculously expensive for something that looks pretty crummy built quality wise (from hands on at best buy).

Are there any alternative keyboards/trackpads worth a damn?

There is basically no reason to get this without a typecover. It's completely amazing and every iPad/tablet keyboard is complete trash next to the typecover 3. Keys feel surprisingly great, it adds practically no weight or thickness to the device, it doesn't need to be removed to use it in tablet mode, it props up for proper laptop-like typing. I strongly recommend getting the typecover and maybe a bluetooth travel mouse (the touchpad isn't great--better than basically any windows one, but still not great. I touch the screen instead or use a mouse whenever possible). Like, do not even get the Surface Pro 3 if you're not going to get the new typecover, they really shouldn't sell it without it.

Corgi

Banned
There is basically no reason to get this without a typecover. It's completely amazing and every iPad/tablet keyboard is complete trash next to the typecover 3. Keys feel surprisingly great, it adds practically no weight or thickness to the device, it doesn't need to be removed to use it in tablet mode, it props up for proper laptop-like typing. I strongly recommend getting the typecover and maybe a bluetooth travel mouse (the touchpad isn't great--better than basically any windows one, but still not great. I touch the screen instead or use a mouse whenever possible). Like, do not even get the Surface Pro 3 if you're not going to get the new typecover, they really shouldn't sell it without it.

hows the built quality of the cover? the non black ones look like the material is something that would fade in color pretty quickly. The stylus loop looks kind of flimsy too.

There no other big name companies that do keyboards for surface 3?

DaveH

hows the built quality of the cover? the non black ones look like the material is something that would fade in color pretty quickly. The stylus loop looks kind of flimsy too.
The build quality is incredible compared to any other type-cover I've experienced that isn't a straight tablet-to-laptop conversion, and even better than many of those.

The material is like suede so it can pick up dust and appear lightened for that reason, but my office has every color available and there's no fading so far. The brighter colors are less likely to show lighter colored dust / fuzz.

The loop that comes with the type-cover is perhaps flimsy but functional. I keep the pen in the carrying case so it's a non-issue for me, but employees who use it constantly have yet to complain. If you want a more robust loop, they are available.

I'm not aware of any third-party snap-on keyboards.

SerTapTap

the stylus loop does kinda suck, probably the worst part of the device. But I mean, it works and I haven't had it tear off or anything. I'd probably recommend a non-black one actually. The black (actually grey) shows stuff more than I imagine the others do.

I seriously doubt there are third party ones, there is a special port for the type cover which is part of why it works so well; it is physically attached and it's magnets are strong enough that you can pretty much only remove it on purpose. It's exactly the right balance of easy to remove without coming off by accident (just don't hold it BY the type cover...it holds stronger than you think but still don't).

I'd only even consider a different keyboard if I were using it as a desktop replacement, then I'd get a nice mechanical one for where it's "parked". Also, as I said, no one makes anything remotely as good as the typecover in that form factor anyway. Typecover was probably my biggest concern, but along with the stand it's surprisingly extremely vital in what makes this a useful and unique device. And is also why I ditched my X200 tablet and probably won't ever buy a laptop or "tablet" again.

Edit: I know at least one of you got that Wireless Display Adapter right? What's the final verdict on that? Any reason to get that over the cheapo $20 ones I see? Can it operate in 1080/60 (properly)? What;s the lag like?If it works as well as Steam Big Picture I'm sold, I guess, I don't see why it should be significantly worse?

Corgi

Banned
how is it for consulting use? I assume the light weight is nice and its a decent conversation starter.

what adaptors are required for VGA? They included or require buying?

SerTapTap

how is it for consulting use? I assume the light weight is nice and its a decent conversation starter.

what adaptors are required for VGA? They included or require buying?

It's a little big, but if you hold it like a legal pad instead of like a phone it's fine for fairly long term use. Weight is about what a 3rd gen iPad is but it feels lighter if you cradle it because of the large size. I frequently hold it one handed too and it's alright. Pen works great, though how well depends on the application--onenote is basically flawless, I can't recommend anything else for notes. For art stuff you'd have to ask someone else.

BTW, you can use it in tablet form without removing the type cover. I was surprised by this, but you just peel it all the way back and it won't register "key presses" since it knows the cover is pulled back and not being used as a keyboard. Or you can pop it off if you need it for a long time since it does feel slightly weird, but it's pretty neat that it works like that.

It's got a mini displayport as an output, pretty easy to get an adapter for mini DP to displayport/VGA/DVI/HDMI for around $20-$30. Should be a single, unpowered adapter in each case, nothing too nasty. I use an HDMI one not VGA but they all seem pretty simple to use. It's like an instant console/projector machine with an HDMI adapter.

Corgi

Banned
oh ok, got a few adaptors of those type for my old zenbook.

I mean i'd probably mostly use it as a laptop, but buying a 'normal' laptop is just so boring, especially if the company won't expense it anyhow (they keep insisting on their 4 year old laptop).

Might as well get something interesting.

So as a laptop, what are the biggest flaws? I know its not the best thing to use on the lap, but i've never used laptops on my lap because every one i had seem to be all for burning my balls. 1 usb slot sucks too. It does have built in blutooth though right? Could just pair a mouse I think right?

Edit: I know at least one of you got that Wireless Display Adapter right? What's the final verdict on that? Any reason to get that over the cheapo $20 ones I see? Can it operate in 1080/60 (properly)? What;s the lag like?If it works as well as Steam Big Picture I'm sold, I guess, I don't see why it should be significantly worse?
Seems I might be the only one.

My final verdict is that it works quite well, but I don't think it does 1080p60 as an extended display. 1080p, sure, but the frame rate stuttered a bit when I tried playing videos.

SerTapTap

Seems I might be the only one.

My final verdict is that it works quite well, but I don't think it does 1080p60 as an extended display. 1080p, sure, but the frame rate stuttered a bit when I tried playing videos.

Ah, might not be for me then. I see lots of "1080p 60hz" plastered all over Miracast dongles but I kinda suspected that was theoretical not guaranteed performance. I honestly wouldn't use it too much anyway, I've got the DP to HDMI adapter and all anyway, and a desktop PC that goes to my TVs.

oh ok, got a few adaptors of those type for my old zenbook.

I mean i'd probably mostly use it as a laptop, but buying a 'normal' laptop is just so boring, especially if the company won't expense it anyhow (they keep insisting on their 4 year old laptop).

Might as well get something interesting.

So as a laptop, what are the biggest flaws? I know its not the best thing to use on the lap, but i've never used laptops on my lap because every one i had seem to be all for burning my balls. 1 usb slot sucks too. It does have built in blutooth though right? Could just pair a mouse I think right?

As a laptop the biggest flaw is not perfectly fitting on all lap/awkward positions. That said, it works amazingly well in a wide variety of positions other tablets wouldn't at all, the adjustable kickstand and snap-up keyboard really make a world of difference. It's amazing on a flat surface, pretty damn good on reasonably-straight legs or irregular surfaces like a bed.

Compared to my (old, I'll admit) Lenovo X200 Tablet the SP3 is faster, far, far lighter, far far thinner, bigger, much better screen, much better battery life, pretty much better in every way that isn't rigidty or keys. And the keys aren't that much worse considering the X200's keys themselves are thicker than the typecover as a whole. Also, speakers really aren't that bad. Real stereo, won't make your ears bleed. For prolonged listening the headphone jack is of course preferable.

There's things to give it more USB ports which I asked about earlier--there are a couple that hang off the USB port which is brilliant, but they give 2 USB and 2...not useful ports, which would be better used on 4 USB. You can always use a more proper USB hub for using it at a dedicated location or situations where you absolutely need more.

Yeah it has built in bluetooth. Just use everything bluetooth that you can and I've found USB to rarely be a significant limit.

One thing you might not think of, touch is actually really nice even in laptop mode. Not all applications support it well, but any MS app should, it works mostly well in Chrome, but it's also clearly not programmed right for touch. Tapping input fields brings up the virtual keyboard which is surprisingly infuriating. But I often use touch instead of the touchpad, and I have DPI set to max to help out with touchability of buttons.

DaveH

Quick tip for SP3 owners looking for a docking station:
3Q9-00001 is the OEM retail unit with MSRP of $200
6Z2-00001 is the OEM demo unit typically sold for $90-99

The latter is IDENTICAL in every way (new-in-box, full warranty, etc) and priced simply to incentivize stores into putting out demo units to promote the product (but in limited quantities). Considering an OEM Power Adapter is already $80, this is a great deal.

If you find out other demo-unit SKU numbers, be sure to share.

SerTapTap

Quick tip for SP3 owners looking for a docking station:
3Q9-00001 is the OEM retail unit with MSRP of $200
6Z2-00001 is the OEM demo unit typically sold for $90-99

The latter is IDENTICAL in every way (new-in-box, full warranty, etc) and priced simply to incentivize stores into putting out demo units to promote the product (but in limited quantities). Considering an OEM Power Adapter is already $80, this is a great deal.

If you find out other demo-unit SKU numbers, be sure to share.

Oh wow, anyone sell that demo unit online? I don't urgently need a dock but for $100...

I guess I lucked out more than I thought if that power adapter is $80...my first Surface had a discolored splotch, so they sent me a new one (new in retail packaging) I only removed the Surface and put mine in and sent it back...they mailed back the power adapter and pen for some reason. So I get two pens and two adapters. Been nice, I keep one adapter in the kitchen and one in the living room. A backup pen is nice, I've damaged a pen before, they're pretty damn expensive.

whitehawk

Banned
This is a Surface Pro 2 question, but is it normal for the pen calibration to be really far off in the corners/sides of the screen? It's really annoying. Particularly in the top right of my screen, the input is like a full inch left from where my pen actually is. Just wondering if I have a defect.

SerTapTap

This is a Surface Pro 2 question, but is it normal for the pen calibration to be really far off in the corners/sides of the screen? It's really annoying. Particularly in the top right of my screen, the input is like a full inch left from where my pen actually is. Just wondering if I have a defect.

Have you recalibrated? There's a stock Windows tool to do it, just press Windows key and type "view pen", first result. I had issues at the edge of my screen on my x200 tablet, but half of that was due to bezel rising above the screen making touching the corners right impossible

whitehawk

Banned
Have you recalibrated? There's a stock Windows tool to do it, just press Windows key and type "view pen", first result. I had issues at the edge of my screen on my x200 tablet, but half of that was due to bezel rising above the screen making touching the corners right impossible
Yeah I tried the calibration tool twice already. Didn't change anything.

What do you mean by x200 tablet?

Have you tried installing the Wacom drivers and using the Wacom calibration tool?

AlexMogil

I upgraded from a i5 256 to an i7 512. The i7 heat/fan noise is really something else. It really feels like the i5 is the winner for price/performance/noise.

Lucifon

Microsoft Store in the UK has dropped the price by £100 on the SP3. John Lewis have pricematched it and thrown in 3 years guarantee, but no quidco/topcashback. Worth waiting til tomorrow to see if someone has a better deal?

It's normal, you can try make it smaller by recalibrating, but due the tech of the pen, it's not going away completely.

There is an user here who explained in better detail once, I think he's called Shogmaster, but I'm not sure XD

AlexMogil

Microsoft Store in the UK has dropped the price by £100 on the SP3. John Lewis have pricematched it and thrown in 3 years guarantee, but no quidco/topcashback. Worth waiting til tomorrow to see if someone has a better deal?

Can't imagine pricing getting better than that unless you get used. The 3 year is a nice benefit.

I mean there's a baseline price! Anything past a certain point is just loss.

Lucifon

Can't imagine pricing getting better than that unless you get used. The 3 year is a nice benefit.

I mean there's a baseline price! Anything past a certain point is just loss.

Indeed it's unlikely, but you never know, only a day afterall so I'm going to hold off. If no change I'll order it first thing in the morning from JohnLewis. Even if it's just a discount on the Type Cover somewhere, seems that's full price everywhere.

Going to shift my Surface 2 + type cover 2 + case next week.

whitehawk

Banned
It's normal, you can try make it smaller by recalibrating, but due the tech of the pen, it's not going away completely.

There is an user here who explained in better detail once, I think he's called Shogmaster, but I'm not sure XD
Well damn. Yeah the Wacom calibration seemed to have helped a bit, but it's not perfect. Once I get to the corners the cursors starts moving at a different rate than my pen.

It's hard to play Roller Coaster Tycoon this way when there is a close window button right at the top right corner lol

AlexMogil

Oh wow, anyone sell that demo unit online? I don't urgently need a dock but for $100...

I guess I lucked out more than I thought if that power adapter is $80...my first Surface had a discolored splotch, so they sent me a new one (new in retail packaging) I only removed the Surface and put mine in and sent it back...they mailed back the power adapter and pen for some reason. So I get two pens and two adapters. Been nice, I keep one adapter in the kitchen and one in the living room. A backup pen is nice, I've damaged a pen before, they're pretty damn expensive.

Maybe:

http://www.provantage.com/microsoft-6z2-00001~7MIC94Q1.htm

http://www.macmall.com/p/Microsoft-Docking-Stations/product~dpno~13191084~pdp.iiadhbb

dLMN8R

I don't know if it's the same for Surface Pro 2, but on my 3 when I tried to use the in-box calibration thing it screwed everything up. Recalibrating over and over again wouldn't fix it.

Only thing that fixed it is clicking Reset from the calibration control panel.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I don't know if it's the same for Surface Pro 2, but on my 3 when I tried to use the in-box calibration thing it screwed everything up. Recalibrating over and over again wouldn't fix it.

Only thing that fixed it is clicking Reset from the calibration control panel.

It's not related, the Ntrig and Wacom techs are quite different. Even Cintiqs suffer from becoming more offset the closer to get to the edge of the screen.

MS has never offered steep discounts on the Surface Pros. There has always been steady if lukewarm demand for those.

Only the disastrously selling Surfaces that run WinRT get deep discounts.

Corgi

Banned
surprised there are still selling RT's. are there even other vendors selling devices with RT on them anymore?

even the $100 windows tablets have full windows.

SerTapTap

only $100 off is pretty weak for BF for laptops. I'm guessing MS is happy with the sales vs xb1?

It's a premium device, the SP3 probably isn't going to come down much in price at all. I'm sure it's a mix of that (they sold out fairly quickly at launch) and they don't want to train people to just wait until the price tanks, which was true of the RT. Note they haven't updated the RT line lately. RT doesn't really serve a need beyond basic web browsing and MS apps, that MIGHT stop being the case if Windows 10 and "real" windows tablets start cultivating a decent ecosystem.

Pretty sure the RTs have steep discounts because they made too many and are getting rid of 'em. There are $200 RT refurbs all the time, I kinda wonder how many are like Wii U "refurbs" that seem to be unsold stock

Kinan

So, my wife finally pulled the trigger on i5/128 SP3 and i'm reading sites preparing to aid with installation and stuff.
I've read some disturbing things about throttling on i5/i7 models, is that still a thing after all the updates? How severe can it be? She would use it for notes/office stuff/browsing mostly, so I do not expect heavy sustained load on it.

So, my wife finally pulled the trigger on i5/128 SP3 and i'm reading sites preparing to aid with installation and stuff.
I've read some disturbing things about throttling on i5/i7 models, is that still a thing after all the updates? How severe can it be? She would use it for notes/office stuff/browsing mostly, so I do not expect heavy sustained load on it.

It's still a thing, but I only make mine throttle under two circumstances:

- Leave Unity editor running with my project and still try to work on VS.
- Try to chromecast a video through chrome (all the extensions I tried to use rely on software decoding, so they turn the fans up pretty quickly.)

The result is pretty bad, if I'm casting the video starts to stutter, if I'm coding compile times get a lot longer...

But when gaming, I don't notice much throttling, perhaps they don't throttle the gpu, just the cpu (which could be a problem for cpu bound games).

SerTapTap

You will probably not notice it at all with that use case. Most "throttling" complaints are from people who heard it throttles and immediately went online to complain that throttling exists at all without ever purchasing one.

Kinan

Thanks for reply guys, looks like it will be fine then. Anything else I need to install/update as soon as we get the thing? Any "must have" interface or performance tweeks? Chrome is no go, as it seems, right?

SerTapTap

Thanks for reply guys, looks like it will be fine then. Anything else I need to install/update as soon as we get the thing? Any "must have" interface or performance tweeks? Chrome is no go, as it seems, right?

Chrome works, but it's a bit fucky. If you don't need chrome specific features, IE especially metro IE work great.

With Chrome you're going to have to manually set up high DPI mode and you'll want to change the touch scrolling style unless they've fixed that. Touch doesn't work 100% in Chrome apps (tweetdeck is where I have problems) and it has a freeze-up issue I never get on desktop, but I actually still use chrome, for all the minor annoyance it gives me. I wish they'd actually fix their high dpi/touch issues though especially since the Android version of chrome works fine

Been thinking about getting a Surface Pro 3 since September. My laptop is from 2006 and my tablet is a first generation iPad. I wanted to upgrade both and this device seemed like a good match. Got some hands-on time with one two weeks ago to convince myself, and then finally took advantage of the Thanksgiving sale to pick one up today.

Had a question though: Without setting IE11 as my default internet browser, is there a way to force IE11 to always open in Metro mode? I prefer its interface when using the device as a tablet, but most often I'll be using it as a laptop and stick to Firefox.

Had a question though: Without setting IE11 as my default internet browser, is there a way to force IE11 to always open in Metro mode? I prefer its interface when using the device as a tablet, but most often I'll be using it as a laptop and stick to Firefox.

AFAIK I believe you need to have IE set as default to have the Modern version enabled. Unless they changed it recently.

Enron

Banned
If anyone lives near a Microcenter, they have Surface Pro and Pro 2 refurbs dirt freakin' cheap.

Pro1 i5/64gb refurb for 299
Pro1 i5/128gb refurb for 339
Pro2 i5/64gb refurb for 549
Pro2 i5/128gb refurb for 629

Top Bottom