• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

Corgi

Banned
hmmmmm.... with holiday return policies for most stores, I guess it can't hurt to buy a surface pro 3 with the holiday discount and play around with it to see if its to my liking for a few weeks.

Think best buy is you have up until jan 15. hmmmm

SerTapTap

hmmmmm.... with holiday return policies for most stores, I guess it can't hurt to buy a surface pro 3 with the holiday discount and play around with it to see if its to my liking for a few weeks.

Think best buy is you have up until jan 15. hmmmm

Also MS store has 30 day returns year round I believe, part of why I pulled the trigger

AFAIK I believe you need to have IE set as default to have the Modern version enabled. Unless they changed it recently.

It's still this way, and probably will be until Windows 10 if I had to guess

DaveH

If you're a Costco member, their return policy is incredibly generous:

"We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. Exceptions: Televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, touchscreen tablets, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund."

Three months to determine if you're happy with major electronics that tend to be luxury purchases!

Corgi

Banned
its the same if you have an AMEX card, but thats more of a process.

MS is no question open box return in 30 days?

debating to go to best buy or the microsoft kiosk at the local mall.

jan 15 is longer than 30 days...

Corgi

Banned
snagged one of these up to play with.

Does office 2010 work fine on this? Can get those codes way cheaper from work. For some reason i feel like the newer one is required.

Haven't really used office suite on a personal computer since college though which was windows 7 years, so not too familiar with how that works.

Dramos

I can't stand not having latest versions of Visual Studio and Office. Everything so much better on SP3 when I'm up-to-date, but that's just me. You should double check with your work. Office 365 useful integration with OneDrive.

SerTapTap

Yes. I have office 2010 installed on my Surface Pro.

Just make sure you use the latest desktop/metro versions of Onenote, they're free anyway. It's also secretly one of the best products MS has ever made. Almost wish I had more reason to take notes. This SP3 would have been amazing in college

Enron

Banned
Just make sure you use the latest desktop/metro versions of Onenote, they're free anyway. It's also secretly one of the best products MS has ever made. Almost wish I had more reason to take notes. This SP3 would have been amazing in college

Onenote comes with win 8, did it not? I don't remember downloading it, yet I have the metro version.

SerTapTap

Onenote comes with win 8, did it not? I don't remember downloading it, yet I have the metro version.

SP3 comes with Metro onenote, I think you still have to download desktop onenote. Either way they're both free to download. I don't think it comes with stock win 8

hadareud

The Translator
Microsoft really should pay me commission.

Since I had mine delivered to my office back in September, 4 people in my office bought one. One bought 2.

All I did was set it up and when people saw it they wanted one too.

Since I had mine delivered to my office back in September, 4 people in my office bought one. One bought 2.

Im my office there are already 3 people as well that are just waiting for someone to go to the US to bring one for them.

They are all currently iPad users XD

SerTapTap

It is, sort of unfortunately, the sort of device you really need to see/use to believe. I hope they have lots of demo kiosks in best buys and stuff. This is what I always dreamed tablets/laptops could be, not this iPad and netbook crap. This is a real computer

Corgi

Banned
hmmm the pen for this isn't rechargable like the older ones.... how long does the battery usually last? should be a while i'd hope.

SerTapTap

hmmm the pen for this isn't rechargable like the older ones.... how long does the battery usually last? should be a while i'd hope.

Battery drain should be pretty minimal when not in use. I'm not sure we have figures yet, but it seems to be roughly in the ballpark of battery operated mice. I'm on the same AAAA on my pen and I got mine at launch, however I don't use the pen super much either. The ntrig over wacom induction pen is a bit of an odd choice, but holy crap the ink is fast so I'm okay with it.

SerTapTap

I have the black, I think it shows wear/stains more than the others, and it's not BLACK black. I think I'll get the cyan if I need to buy a different typecover for SP4 or 5 or something.

Speaking of, what would people recommend to clean finger print grease off the typecover? I think I'm pretty decent at keeping things clean and I wipe it down every week or so, but it's still getting some shiny spots.

dLMN8R

I started with the cyan type cover but it got all smudged up easily. "Luckily" I had a problem with it that required an exchange, so they let me pick a new color and I went with the dark blue. Much better!

I also have "black," which really should be called grey. I like it, but it does get dirty easily. It goes well with the dock, though, which is black.

you can try the tech preview of windows 10 for free....

I'm glad we did that, because it's become much more stable as a result. My dev box at work no longer cries when an update pops up.

Paganmoon

you can try the tech preview of windows 10 for free....

I'm glad we did that, because it's become much more stable as a result. My dev box at work no longer cries when an update pops up.

ETA on consumer preview? Not keen on running dev preview on production machines (as recommended by MS).

SerTapTap

ETA on consumer preview? Not keen on running dev preview on production machines (as recommended by MS).

I think the more open preview was up a few months before release for win 8. The preview seems pretty solid, but I wouldn't run it if I didn't have a spare hard drive to boot it from, which precludes me from running it on the SP3. Which is a shame, it adds some stuff I've been aching for on the SP3 (metro apps with taskbar!). I can't wait to use Metro IE (or heaven forbid a version of Chrome properly designed for touch) without switching "modes"

Corgi

Banned
now that i think about it... surface pro 3 is a pretty decent game box for certain genres.

Indies with a xbox controller. visual novels, emulators etc.

SerTapTap

now that i think about it... surface pro 3 is a pretty decent game box for certain genres.

Indies with a xbox controller. visual novels, emulators etc.

With a bluetooth controller and mini displayport to HDMI it's a great, portable emulator and last gen console replacement. Runs most stuff about as well as any mid grade laptop in a far more portable size.

dLMN8R

My Surface Pro 3 has been my Binding of Isaac Rebirth machine pretty much nonstop since it came out.

It runs anything well except for high-end 3D games.

SerTapTap

Anyone found games that play well with the pen? It's been years since I tried, though PVZ and Peggle were great on my old touch laptop. I assume unlike art apps (due to pen sensitivity) games work exactly the same across ntrig and wacom pens?

My Surface Pro 3 has been my Binding of Isaac Rebirth machine pretty much nonstop since it came out.

It runs anything well except for high-end 3D games.

There are some last gen 3d games that run better than Bastion does on mine XD

Bastion does run fine most of the time, but some more chaotic areas get choppy.

But overall I'm impressed with it's graphical performance. It's basically a slightly better than 360 ultra portable console.

Corgi

Banned
FINALLY have time to set surface up.

the fuck is with this pen loop though? I can't get it on good. everytime i try to put the pen through, it just comes off.

SerTapTap

FINALLY have time to set surface up.

the fuck is with this pen loop though? I can't get it on good. everytime i try to put the pen through, it just comes off.

Attach it with a perfectly flush surface and give it some time to bind. Mine was a little loose during first application but it hasn't come loose since

Corgi

Banned
what are some recommended bluetooth mice yall use?

That 1 usb port :/

And this trackpad sucks balls. When i feel like its easier to just use my finger at 100% screen size to tap stuff than the trackpad... something is wrong.

what are some recommended bluetooth mice yall use?

That 1 usb port :/

And this trackpad sucks balls. When i feel like its easier to just use my finger at 100% screen size to tap stuff than the trackpad... something is wrong.
I use a Razer Orochi, which for my money is the best feeling travel size mouse out there.

Corgi

Banned
is there any tweaks i can do so the keyboard doesn't automatically disable when you are at any angle?

I'm one that enjoys typing on a laptop while in bed sideways.

SerTapTap

I think my chrome random overheating issue is actually just too many GIFs (thanks, GAF). I noticed my fan kept kicking on even when I just opened Chrome, turned out to be because of that Druckmann photobomb thread which has like dozens of gifs per page. DRUCKMANNNNNN!

is there any tweaks i can do so the keyboard doesn't automatically disable when you are at any angle?

I'm one that enjoys typing on a laptop while in bed sideways.

Keyboard should always work if the magnetic strip is up. Only disables for me when the keyboard is pulled back, I just always leave it magnetically attached unless I'm not using the keyboard. Unless you mean...the device is actually on it's side? If so how do you depress the keys...?

I've found multitouch to be pretty much universally superior to trackpads for anything where the target isn't like 4 pixels wide. Trackpads gonna trackpad. I just use a standard logitec bluetooh travel mouse, plenty of cheap effective ones.

Corgi

Banned
I think my chrome random overheating issue is actually just too many GIFs (thanks, GAF). I noticed my fan kept kicking on even when I just opened Chrome, turned out to be because of that Druckmann photobomb thread which has like dozens of gifs per page. DRUCKMANNNNNN!

Keyboard should always work if the magnetic strip is up. Only disables for me when the keyboard is pulled back, I just always leave it magnetically attached unless I'm not using the keyboard. Unless you mean...the device is actually on it's side? If so how do you depress the keys...?

I've found multitouch to be pretty much universally superior to trackpads for anything where the target isn't like 4 pixels wide. Trackpads gonna trackpad. I just use a standard logitec bluetooh travel mouse, plenty of cheap effective ones.

keyboard on will switch to tablet mode when you tilt sidewise to a certain degree. I mean these buttons depress :p

SerTapTap

You can lock the screen but I'm not aware of any way to make the keyboard work like that. Can you even press the keys like that? without holding the typecover in place? I just use it as a touch-tablet with a locked screen orientation when using it "sideways"

hwalker84

Any way to reset the touch keyboard and all of it's predictive features? Mine is having some weird issues. Double tapping space making a period then removing it, auto correct working then changing the work to something else as soon as I start typing the next word, etc.

I guess I missed it. So there's no cost to these raffles unless you win?

No cost unless you win, yes. I think that if you lose like 10 in a row, you even get entered into a special "Loser's Circle" raffle for a prize, too.

Heard about this site from that iPad thread a few weeks ago. I think they had an iPhone 6 raffle last week for like $100.

Top Bottom