• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

SerTapTap

man does this keyboard get smudgey if you have ANY oils on the fingers.

I just wipe it off every few days, I got my last laptop's company to replace it about once a year because of their insanely good warranty but I won't be able to do that so easily this time.

Found it, it was from Ms themselves:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/microsoft_u...-pro-3-for-use-in-a-clinical-environment.aspx

"Healthcare customers can sanitize Microsoft Surface Pro 3 devices using one of our recommended solutions—PDI Sani-Cloth Plus, CaviWipes, Covidien Alcohol Prep Pads, any similar wipes with IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) solution under 70%, Total Solutions Full Spectrum Disinfectant Wipes, or Clorox Healthcare Bleach Germicidal Wipes--without risk of damaging the device.

The alcohol-based solutions can also be used to clean the entire Surface Type Cover 3 without damage. Total Solutions Wipes may leave cotton fibers on the bottom side of the Type Cover 3, but these can be removed by hand. Clorox Healthcare Bleach Germicidal Wipes may discolour the bottom surface of the Type Cover 3 with prolonged use, and therefore are not recommended to sanitize the Type Cover 3.

SerTapTap

Healthcare customers

I always thought doctors and lawyers would be the perfect target (along with schools, university students) for PCs with pen input. Was really shocked I never saw the old style tablet PCs like the x200 advertised very much to that effect. Lenovo certainly had them there for business but they were pretty quiet about it. Cool to see MS specifically bringing up healthcare with SP3 info.

Paganmoon

I recall Microsoft reps visiting my university back in 2001 or 2002, talking about future products, and how they (Microsoft) imagined their technology would be used. I distinctly recall them showing (huge) tablet like devices in hospital environments amongst much else, they've been pushing for such things for a long time. They were a bit ahead of the times though, and had the wrong target in mind for mass-adoption,but not surprised they still, sort of, push for the surface within healthcare.

SerTapTap

Chrome has metro mode?! Well hell, I need to try that. Of course it'll still be annoying to not have the taskbar until Windows 10 is out

whitehawk

Banned
Chrome has metro mode?! Well hell, I need to try that. Of course it'll still be annoying to not have the taskbar until Windows 10 is out
Yup, I was surprised too. If you already have Chrome installed, just hit the settings button and click "Relaunch Chrome in Windows 8 mode". It's easy to switch between metro and desktop mode. This is on a Surface Pro 2 but I don't see why it wouldn't work on SP3.

Well here it does say it doesn't support high DPI devices, not sure if SP3 falls under that: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2762879?hl=en

SerTapTap

Yeah the Chrome "Windows 8 Mode" is really dumb. Also they need to fix touch scrolling in Chrome, it's awful.

You can change touch scrolling modes, I forget which one I'm on now. It's not as good as android chrome but it was better than stock unless they changed stock recently.

SerTapTap

gmail fonts look so funky on chrome on mine.

Are you using high DPI mode in chrome? It's a pain in the ass to set but it's a requirement for a good experience

How?

Also how do I get IE to launch in metro mode? Mine always launches in desktop.

It's in about:flags, Touch scrolling mode, I think I use Async touchmove?

IE has to be the default browser to launch in Metro mode. It sucks.

whitehawk

Banned
Are you using high DPI mode in chrome? It's a pain in the ass to set but it's a requirement for a good experience

It's in about:flags, Touch scrolling mode, I think I use Async touchmove?

IE has to be the default browser to launch in Metro mode. It sucks.
Thanks! I was also able to enable pinch zoom!

Corgi

Banned
weird, pinch zoom works fine out of the box... but then i installed chrome beta.

recommend me some cheap accessories!

usb hub.
bluetooth mouse

I feel like there should be a 3rd party solution that is way better than this stupid loop for the pen. It's a huge pain to get in and out.

RayStorm

I have a quick question regarding hibernation and the Surface Pro 3. I have the following three issues with it, does anyone else share those problems?

1) After waking from hibernation the WLAN has limited connectivity (aka no internet connection). This seems to be a rather common issue?

2) After waking from hibernation, the system and system process uses around 15% of the CPU power and continues to do so unless I open the "recording devices". Once those are opened, the system process is back to normal (aka close to 0% usage). That too seems to be rather commonplace. Apparently has also been present in the Surface Pro 2.

3) Which seems to be less common: After waking from hibernation, the Surface Pro 3 does not go back to hibernate on its own after the time specified in the power options. In fact, it simply stays awake perpetually (at least when in the dock). While I understand not being able to sleep, when you have just woken up, I did not quite expect that level of humanity from my Surface. :/

I'm also disappointed, that my hope of using only the Display Port from the dock to connect 3 DP-Monitors (by way of a DP-hub) does not quite work either. Does anyone have something (even with two external screens) working? For me it did work briefly with two screens, but then suddenly stopped. *sigh* And now I wonder, is it the DP-hub I bought? Is it my monitors, is it just that DP is the worst working "improvement" since the early days of W-LAN?

n64coder

I'm a member of the surface club. Have the i5/256 device. So far, I'm pretty pleased. Still learning how to best use it. I liked how some of the stuff that I discovered on my own were intuitive... like swiping left/right to go back/forward in metro IE.

A few questions I have:

- is there a way to easily go to the top/bottom of a page in IE?
- can I configure Xbox music to not download my collection? I want to keep it in the cloud for now.

I got the surface during the 12 days of deals online. It came with a free case and a $100 coupon. I'm glad to have ditched my Sony Vail which will be going to my wife. I hated how the cursor jumped around because I inadvertently touched the trackpad.

I just got issued one for work. They're damn nice. These will replace our laptops once we get a docking station along with our iPads.

We were given the i5/256GB model.

For people who have had their surface for a while, have you had any problems with wear on your trackpad? I've had it almost a year now and it' starting to show some wear. I'm afraid it'll die soon.

SerTapTap

I have a quick question regarding hibernation and the Surface Pro 3. I have the following three issues with it, does anyone else share those problems?

1) After waking from hibernation the WLAN has limited connectivity (aka no internet connection). This seems to be a rather common issue?

2) After waking from hibernation, the system and system process uses around 15% of the CPU power and continues to do so unless I open the "recording devices". Once those are opened, the system process is back to normal (aka close to 0% usage). That too seems to be rather commonplace. Apparently has also been present in the Surface Pro 2.

3) Which seems to be less common: After waking from hibernation, the Surface Pro 3 does not go back to hibernate on its own after the time specified in the power options. In fact, it simply stays awake perpetually (at least when in the dock). While I understand not being able to sleep, when you have just woken up, I did not quite expect that level of humanity from my Surface. :/

I'm also disappointed, that my hope of using only the Display Port from the dock to connect 3 DP-Monitors (by way of a DP-hub) does not quite work either. Does anyone have something (even with two external screens) working? For me it did work briefly with two screens, but then suddenly stopped. *sigh* And now I wonder, is it the DP-hub I bought? Is it my monitors, is it just that DP is the worst working "improvement" since the early days of W-LAN?

Your firmware is all up to date? No new updates from Windows update? I don't have those hibernate issues myself, but assorted patches were made to the wireless stuff.

I think you may need to daisy-chain to get 3 monitors? Here's an MS article about it, the SP3 i5 can power 3 1080p displays but I haven't done it myself, most I've done is extended desktop over DP ->HDMI. Might talk with MS support, they're pretty helpful.

RayStorm

Your firmware is all up to date? No new updates from Windows update? I don't have those hibernate issues myself, but assorted patches were made to the wireless stuff.

Thank you for your reply. As far as I am aware I have the latest firmware (middle of November) installed as well as all Windows Updates. At least when searching for new updates there are none found.

I think you may need to daisy-chain to get 3 monitors? Here's an MS article about it, the SP3 i5 can power 3 1080p displays but I haven't done it myself, most I've done is extended desktop over DP ->HDMI. Might talk with MS support, they're pretty helpful.

I might, but at least in a very theoretical sense it should work either way with a DP-hub or with a daisy-chain. In fact for a brief moment I actually got two monitors working via the hub. But alas, it was a fleeting moment.

SerTapTap

Dunno then, not really sure how all the displayport stuff works. All my displayport ports are immediately plugged into adapters because I have no displayport displays. Maybe someone else has done it, I know they advertise up to 3 displays, just haven't done that myself.

To the Surface Pro owners, was the Type Cover worth the $120 purchase?

How is the keyboard quality? Is it good as Macbook keyboards? I love the Macbook Trackpad and Keyboard; they are the best I've ever used in a laptop.

SerTapTap

To the Surface Pro owners, was the Type Cover worth the $120 purchase?

How is the keyboard quality? Is it good as Macbook keyboards? I love the Macbook Trackpad and Keyboard; they are the best I've ever used in a laptop.

Don't have a macbook, but I can't imagine using a Surface Pro without a type cover. Keys feel great on the typecover 3, it's so amazingly thin unlike every tablet keyboard Iv'e ever seen. Touchpad is good for a windows touchpad, not amazing. I use a bluetooth mouse and multitouch when possible instead. But for typing, use the type cover. It's going to be either far less portable or far less useful without it. I don't know why they sell them without type covers.

whitehawk

Banned
So all of a sudden a week or so ago, but Surface Pro 2 is acting up, a LOT.

- Apps won't open like Chrome
- Windows touch button often doesn't do anything
- Opening file explorer means it will crash 2 seconds later

I've tried running Windows Defender scan and Avast scan, but they crashed mid-way through the scan. Could I have a virus that's doing all this, and then stopping the scan?

I'm thinking I might have to do a recovery and start all over. Luckily I haven't had it for long and don't have too many important files on it.

edit: tried re-opening Windows Defender and get "This app has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer" "If you're using another app to check for malicious or unwanted software, use Action Center to check that app's status."

edit2: Avast came back with no results. I have no idea what's going on.

edit3: Wait, now everything seeems to be working. File explorer doesn't crash, chrome works... It didn't even find any virusus.... I am confused. Xbox Music also works. Before when I tried to use it, music simply wouldn't play and the app would pretty much freeze/crash.

Corgi

Banned
how do i boost the performance of my surface 3?

getting stuttering for streaming 60fps videos from giantbomb, or from the online player of broken age documentary.

haven't had issues streaming hd videos from a browser on a laptop in like a decade o_O

a bit disappointing when my ipad mini can handle these videos fine.

SerTapTap

how do i boost the performance of my surface 3?

getting stuttering for streaming 60fps videos from giantbomb, or from the online player of broken age documentary.

haven't had issues streaming hd videos from a browser on a laptop in like a decade o_O

a bit disappointing when my ipad mini can handle these videos fine.

I don't know what player they use, but flash stuff can be fucky no matter what you run it on. I've found Chrome has super weird problems on my SP3 it has nowhere else though, including totally randomly eating a whole CPU core until I force close and restart it. I really need to try using IE again.

If it's hot it'll throttle, though I get 60 FPS twitch streams fine (fan comes on but no issues beyond loltwitch on occasion)

Corgi

Banned
I don't know what player they use, but flash stuff can be fucky no matter what you run it on. I've found Chrome has super weird problems on my SP3 it has nowhere else though, including totally randomly eating a whole CPU core until I force close and restart it. I really need to try using IE again.

If it's hot it'll throttle, though I get 60 FPS twitch streams fine (fan comes on but no issues beyond loltwitch on occasion)
pretty sure most of the stuff is html5. hmmmm.

shame because the screen is great.

j-wood

Chrome has been such shit on my SP3. It's a shame because I love the features of Chrome but man.

I tried metro mode and it was just murdering the SP3. CPU got super hot and everything (i have the i5, 256GB model).

So I switched to using IE11 in metro mode, which is actually really good. Just wish it synced all my Google stuff. I have hopes for whatever browser MS is cooking up for Windows 10.

hmmm is firefox any good on surface?

working in IT, I just can't use IE outside of work situations... sorry lol.

Maybe I have biased blinders on, but I seriously think mobile IE is the best mobile browser out there. Now, I've only used iPad/iPad Mini, iPhone6, some android phones, and Nexus 7, but my surface 2's browser was by far the best experience when choosing between that lot

Now, if we're talking desktop browsers, I can understand wanting firefox/chrome. I'm still an IE user, since chrome made me switch for some reason back in college, but not for any particular reason.

hadareud

The Translator
working in IT, I just can't use IE outside of work situations... sorry lol.

Oh dear.

Anyway, do try the metro version. It's the best mobile/touch browser on any tablet.

Firefox is fine if you use the keyboard, if you don't, metro IE is the only way to go.

whitehawk

Banned
Finally got a keyboard for my Surface pro 2 and am finding out it doesn't turn the PC back on when you open the keyboard.

After a little research, this is only a surface 3 feature? Weird, and dissapointing. The whole point of a keyboard/screen protector is that it turns it on for you. One of the coolest things about the ipad I noticed.

Corgi

Banned
Finally got a keyboard for my Surface pro 2 and am finding out it doesn't turn the PC back on when you open the keyboard.

After a little research, this is only a surface 3 feature? Weird, and dissapointing. The whole point of a keyboard/screen protector is that it turns it on for you. One of the coolest things about the ipad I noticed.
Doesn't always work like that on 3 either. I guess it depends on her settings you have for sleep hibernate etc.

n64coder

Not really a surface feature but one cool thing I discovered about Windows live account is that it saves your Wi-Fi hotspot info. I migrated from a Sony laptop to the surface and it was awesome going to places and automatically connect to Wi-Fi because they're saved as part of the account.

*peaks in thread*

...yep, thinking about finally retiring my 2010 Macbook and iPad3 combo for a single SurfacePro3

What say you GAF?

why windows from mac?

Windows kid growing up from all the way since '95. I've also been doing IT since '03 in the USAF.

Wife wanted a Macbook though and I was curious. Eventually after 4 years or so, I just didn't care for either hardware or the OS's. She was mostly indifferent.

Now be both know that we want:

A - A windows based platform

B - Still want a dedicated tablet option

It's pretty nuts actually how much the SurfacePro3 looks like it's gonna fit the bill

Top Bottom