• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

SerTapTap

I'm really hyped up for one of these. I'm trying to figure out what version I'd want and then compare that to a similarly priced laptop.

I'd be mainly using it for Office apps: Excel, Word, I've never used OneNote but it sounds great especially with the pen, One Drive, Outlook too possibly although I'm still digging GMail.

So would the i5 128GB be enough I wonder? With OneDrive, Google Drive, an SD Card... even a USB for a stand alone back up drive... that should be ok? or just suck it up and do 256GB.

128GB for 999.00
Keyboard 129.99
Docking Station 199.00

128GB/4GB RAM has been amazing, but I don't really use too much space, I have a desktop for most games and the big storage. The MicroSD card slot can very cheaply be upgraded to 64, or at a bit more cost you can get 128, and it's fast enough for minor stuff. But I've lived off a 128gb laptop for years before. I didn't want to get too crazy either, as I figure it'll make more sense to get the medium grade version and upgrade every couple years than to pay twice as much upfront.

Onenote is an amazing program, one of the best MS has ever made IMO. In a more sensible world, cheap versions of these with One Note would be in schools not read-only iPads.

Toshiba Encore 2 Write looks interesting, want to try, I haven't used anything Toshiba made in over a decade I think. It could replace Asus Vivo Note 8 well, that wasn't very good. Almost one year later still waiting for Surface Mini. Somebody get a 8" note device right already.

I'm not too surprised over the apparent lack of Surface Mini, I think they got burned by jumping into Surface + Surface RT before it was all together, but a real win OS with Onenote and a pen would be sweet.

TKR92

Suddenly, my SP3 did not recognize any wireless network.
I tried re-install driver, refresh Windows, and even recovery with Windows image did not work.

Anyways, contacted with MS customer service and they will replace the unit.

This is 2nd time I replace SP3, because of hardware issue (1st one had touch screen issue).

Groof

Hey everyone. I've been looking at laptops recently and for some reason the SP3 keeps popping into my head. But I have two questions for you peeps who own one.
1. Does anyone use it for painting? If so, how do you find that it works? Would it be a nice Wacom replacement?
2. How does it fare in light gaming? Would it say be able to handle a game of LoL on whatever settings? Not that I'm planning on gaming a lot on it, but once every now and then wouldn't hurt when my desktop is out of reach.

Thanks!

epicnemesis

So after months of deliberation I finally jumped away from OSX for my laptop and got a surface and I love it thus far. The only thing is now I'm deliberating on if I want to upgrade from the i5 to the i7 so I can run games better. I'm surprised to read that battery life is actually better on the i7 but I am also reading that heat is a bigger issue. I have a USB fan that is really effective at cooling this unit while I'm gaming and I suspect it will be equally up to task with the i7. I'm more concerned with whether the heat will be an issue with regular web browsing and light word/excel. Anyone here with the i7 that can comment on how quickly the fan kicks on? I think it would be annoying if the fan decided it needs to kick on as soon as I decide to open chrome or word or whatever.

SerTapTap

2. How does it fare in light gaming? Would it say be able to handle a game of LoL on whatever settings? Not that I'm planning on gaming a lot on it, but once every now and then wouldn't hurt when my desktop is out of reach.

Thanks!

It's capable for non-intensive games and can be thought of as slightly better than an Xbox 360. In Home Streaming is basically flawless (but probably not native res unless your "server" PC can output to the Surface's weird 1440 3:2 res), non-intensive 2D games run fine, 3D games usually work but will require settings changes similar to running games on a non-gaming laptop. I would say the SP3 is still better than the average laptop in gaming, but there's no dedicated GPU and the bigger games you throw at it the more you'll need to fuss with settings. I haven't played LoL, but people seem to run it on just about anything so I assume it'll be fine.

Works well with a bluetooth controller (or a USB one) + mini displayport -> HDMI for a sort of super portable console too. I don't really use it for that much but it's a cool possibility.

Corgi

Banned
works pretty much perfect with steam streaming.

for a tablet targeted work folks, does this support laptop locks? Don't see any ports on the side. Does the dock have sort of locking mechanism?

SerTapTap

works pretty much perfect with steam streaming.

for a tablet targeted work folks, does this support laptop locks? Don't see any ports on the side. Does the dock have sort of locking mechanism?

The docking station has one...I'm not sure how well that really works or if it really secures the tablet or just the station. I don't have a dock or a kensington lock

Groof

It's capable for non-intensive games and can be thought of as slightly better than an Xbox 360. In Home Streaming is basically flawless (but probably not native res unless your "server" PC can output to the Surface's weird 1440 3:2 res), non-intensive 2D games run fine, 3D games usually work but will require settings changes similar to running games on a non-gaming laptop. I would say the SP3 is still better than the average laptop in gaming, but there's no dedicated GPU and the bigger games you throw at it the more you'll need to fuss with settings. I haven't played LoL, but people seem to run it on just about anything so I assume it'll be fine.

Works well with a bluetooth controller (or a USB one) + mini displayport -> HDMI for a sort of super portable console too. I don't really use it for that much but it's a cool possibility.

Yeah I didn't expect much from it anyway. Like I said, not the main priority, just would be doubly cool if it could handle it even on lowest settings. Thanks for the reply!

So after months of deliberation I finally jumped away from OSX for my laptop and got a surface and I love it thus far. The only thing is now I'm deliberating on if I want to upgrade from the i5 to the i7 so I can run games better. I'm surprised to read that battery life is actually better on the i7 but I am also reading that heat is a bigger issue. I have a USB fan that is really effective at cooling this unit while I'm gaming and I suspect it will be equally up to task with the i7. I'm more concerned with whether the heat will be an issue with regular web browsing and light word/excel. Anyone here with the i7 that can comment on how quickly the fan kicks on? I think it would be annoying if the fan decided it needs to kick on as soon as I decide to open chrome or word or whatever.
i7 here. It does get warm pretty quickly, and I don't even really game with mine.

After just about a month of use, the touchpad area on my Type Cover 2 is starting to look worn...is this normal? Is there a way to clean it or anything?

SerTapTap

After just about a month of use, the touchpad area on my Type Cover 2 is starting to look worn...is this normal? Is there a way to clean it or anything?

Worn as in fingerprint grease? They get dirty with that fairly quick like every other keyboard. Isopropyl alcohol (70% or less) is recommended by MS and safe to use (this was for SP3 I think, but the typecovers are mostly all the same material I think). I try to wipe off the typecover every few days but it still ends up with grease stains, I need to try the alcohol

Husker86

So close to getting one of these, but am hesitating only because the Surface Pro 4 can't be that far out.

I'd really hate to buy something that is using the same CPUs from the SP2 (right?) and then it get replaced within 2 months.

I don't need to be educated about the "waiting game", I know full well that I could be caught in it forever. But am I wrong in thinking the SP4 is only a few months away at most?

edit: I'm likely going for the base model, I have a beastly Macbook Pro Retina and am looking for something for the times I want portability.

SerTapTap

So close to getting one of these, but am hesitating only because the Surface Pro 4 can't be that far out.

I'd really hate to buy something that is using the same CPUs from the SP2 (right?) and then it get replaced within 2 months.

I don't need to be educated about the "waiting game", I know full well that I could be caught in it forever. But am I wrong in thinking the SP4 is only a few months away at most?

edit: I'm likely going for the base model, I have a beastly Macbook Pro Retina and am looking for something for the times I want portability.

The most recent SP2 has the same CPU as the SP3, but the SP3 has a wider range of options (higher and lower). But you're not getting a Surface Pro for the CPU (other than the fact it's x86 and runs everything). I can't recommend anything less than the SP3 except for extremely specific use cases.

IMO the Pro line will probably stabilize with 1 release a year not the >1 a year recently now that they've found a great ergonomic balance (and, apparently, shed the albatross around their neck that was RT). If you can wait a bit, sure, wait for the 4. Personally I got the midrange (i5) because it was the best bang per buck and doesn't hurt to upgrade. Not sure how well the i3 performs, I didn't want anything too slow. Not worth the $200 you save IMO but maybe someone with an i3 has impressions.

The CPU in the SP3 is more than enough really, throttling and fan noise is the only issue. That and a better pen attachment are my biggest wishes for SP4. A better touchpad would be nice but...how good can touchpads even get. They're basically all terrible. I use multitouch more than the touchpad.

Husker86

The most recent SP2 has the same CPU as the SP3, but the SP3 has a wider range of options (higher and lower). But you're not getting a Surface Pro for the CPU (other than the fact it's x86 and runs everything). I can't recommend anything less than the SP3 except for extremely specific use cases.

IMO the Pro line will probably stabilize with 1 release a year not the >1 a year recently now that they've found a great ergonomic balance (and, apparently, shed the albatross around their neck that was RT). If you can wait a bit, sure, wait for the 4. Personally I got the midrange (i5) because it was the best bang per buck and doesn't hurt to upgrade. Not sure how well the i3 performs, I didn't want anything too slow. Not worth the $200 you save IMO but maybe someone with an i3 has impressions.

The CPU in the SP3 is more than enough really, throttling and fan noise is the only issue. That and a better pen attachment are my biggest wishes for SP4. A better touchpad would be nice but...how good can touchpads even get. They're basically all terrible. I use multitouch more than the touchpad.

The reason I'm going for the i3 (or leaning that way at least) is because I spent a lot of money in November on my MBPr, and I'm already having a hard time justifying getting another computer just for portability, but I really don't want to take my Macbook around with me often.

I was going to go for a nice tablet+keyboard, but then I'm at ~$700 there and thought to myself...why would I spend that much on a tablet with a mobile OS when I can throw a couple hundred more and get a SP3+type cover?

We'll see, I'm pretty impulsive so I may get one soon. I use my Nexus 7 at my desk at work and want something better. I have a work PC but I try not to use it for non-work stuff ('try' being the keyword).

edit: I'll definitely do some more research on the i3 performance, though.

SerTapTap

The reason I'm going for the i3 (or leaning that way at least) is because I spent a lot of money in November on my MBPr, and I'm already having a hard time justifying getting another computer just for portability, but I really don't want to take my Macbook around with me often.

I was going to go for a nice tablet+keyboard, but then I'm at ~$700 there and thought to myself...why would I spend that much on a tablet with a mobile OS when I can throw a couple hundred more and get a SP3+type cover?

We'll see, I'm pretty impulsive so I may get one soon. I use my Nexus 7 at my desk at work and want something better. I have a work PC but I try not to use it for non-work stuff ('try' being the keyword).

If you can really survive on the 64GB (you can add a microSD card for storage, but it's going to be very low speed), the i3 is probably still fine for most basic and productivity tasks. Certainly will be enough for any "tablet" workload, but mine is tablet + laptop. I'd be slightly worried about video playback--it's enough to kick on the fan on my i5, but no stutters. Can anyone with an i3 confirm how well that stuff works?

Sort of like you said, I can't go back to "mobile" tablets ever again after using this thing, or laptops for that matter. It's my desktop or the SP3. I think that's the market MS needs to focus on. Tablets were barely acceptable for me, because of productivity. Now I don't need 'em, or a laptop, since I have the desktop for resource intensive stuff.

For tablet use, an iPad Air 2 with a keyboard case like the Belkin QODE is surprisingly versatile. It's no SP3 with typecover by a longshot, but it can get the job done and is quite mobile.

Husker86

For tablet use, an iPad Air 2 with a keyboard case like the Belkin QODE is surprisingly versatile. It's no SP3 with typecover by a longshot, but it can get the job done and is quite mobile.

That's what I was going to get (or the new Kensington X3 Plus one announced at CES). But like I said, it's just $150-200 shy of a SP3+typecover. Plus, I really think I would use the pen at least a little, I always want to jot down something, or quickly scribble an app design down while I'm at work.

Decisions, decisions; sometimes I envy my friends who give no fucks about technology...

SerTapTap

The pen is sooooo nice. I'm really annoyed the tech didn't take off, the iPad pens are very much not the same and it's so convenient. Only minus is they're not perfectly graceful on the SP3--my old pens used to fit right in the tablet PC, but these were MUCH larger units too. On the SP3 it sticks in a little loop you slap on the typecover. It works, but it looks and feels a bit cheap

Husker86

i3 version is getting here tomorrow, got a type cover waiting for it. I think it will be good enough for my needs; I'm excited!

Groof

Studio Tan does. I think it's a bit late to tempt most of that market from Cintiq and Wacom stuff but it seems capable as well. Ntrig seems more focused on note taking though, due to the far lower latency in apps like Onenote.

Sweet, thanks! That actually sounds like some good trade-offs from the Wacom accuracy. The SP3 is alluring, that made it even more so. But maybe I'll wait for the SP4 and see what they do.

BumRush

Posted this in regular OT (didn't know there was a SP3 thread) so I'll repost here:

How viable would the SP3 be as a complete desktop replacement if I already have a monitor / external blu-ray / external HDD / etc.?

Thanks

Posted this in regular OT (didn't know there was a SP3 thread) so I'll repost here:

How viable would the SP3 be as a complete desktop replacement if I already have a monitor / external blu-ray / external HDD / etc.?

Thanks

It will be no different from owning an ultrabook or laptop and using it for that purpose. The SP3 only has 1 USB port though so you'll need to buy a small external USB hub to plug in multiple devices.

Husker86

Got my i3 today. I really like the form factor, and the type keyboard is pretty great. The touchpad scrolling isn't the best (but scrolling with touchscreen is smooth, so I don't think it's a performance issue).

Overall, it's not as silky smooth as an iPad, but it is better than I was expecting and I'm happy so far.

The pen is pretty amazing as far as responsiveness goes.

BumRush

It will be no different from owning an ultrabook or laptop and using it for that purpose. The SP3 only has 1 USB port though so you'll need to buy a small external USB hub to plug in multiple devices.

Thanks! if you buy a USB hub, does it degrade the speed of each thing plugged in? (sorry for the questions)

My surface pro keeps randomly turning off whenever I close it up or lock it. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. And no, the battery is fully charged. Its really, really, really, really annoying. I lieterally cant work on anything because the moment I lock it theres a high chance I'll lose my stuff, and the way I use it it would require saving literally every minute to keep my data from being lost. This problem is making my surface pro almost unusable. Anyone have any idea what might be causing it?

SerTapTap

My surface pro keeps randomly turning off whenever I close it up or lock it. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. And no, the battery is fully charged. Its really, really, really, really annoying. I lieterally cant work on anything because the moment I lock it theres a high chance I'll lose my stuff, and the way I use it it would require saving literally every minute to keep my data from being lost. This problem is making my surface pro almost unusable. Anyone have any idea what might be causing it?

Check your power settings? You're talking about a real, all the way off state, everything closes, right? Because the SP3 has a weird connected standby state between "screen is off" and what is a more normal Windows hibernate state. If there's nothing weird in power settings, something must be wrong with the OS or hardware. You can try a refresh if it was fine before or if you think it's a hardware think you'd have to contact MS support. They're pretty decent as far as customer support goes.

Dash27

Ok I'll probably wait til March and decide. March will mark the end of my car payments and possibly information on the Surface 4:

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...he-microsoft-corporation-surface-pro-4-c.aspx

Intel has made a very big deal about the fact that the last generation Haswell chips and the new Broadwell chips are "socket compatible." This means, in theory, it should take relatively little work for Microsoft to just take the latest batch of Broadwell chips from Intel and launch a more powerful and power efficient Surface Pro 4.

Other than the new chip, these devices could be physically identical to the Surface Pro 3.

If Microsoft goes down this route, then I would expect that the software giant to launch the "Surface Pro 4" (if it ends up actually calling it that) sometime in the next month or two. This would presumably last until Microsoft launches the real "next generation" tablet powered by its new Windows 10 operating system and Intel's new Skylake processors.

The Surface Pro 5 could be the big improvement
In moving from Haswell to Broadwell, Intel brings significant power efficiency improvements. In theory, this should allow for a sleeker device while offering the same or even higher performance than the prior generation Surface Pro 3.

However, given that a thinner/new chassis would necessitate the design of a new motherboard, it probably makes sense from an R&D efficiency perspective to wait on the full redesign until Skylake, where a new motherboard would be required anyway.

At any rate, I'm expecting Broadwell in Surface soon
Since Microsoft has repeatedly claimed that the Surface Pro family of tablets is quite suitable for replacing a laptop, and since most thin and light laptops will likely transition to Broadwell quite shortly, Microsoft is very likely to update its Surface Pro lineup with Broadwell.

In my view, the biggest unanswered question is simply what Microsoft is ultimately going to do about branding. There is obviously precedent within the tablet market, and within the Surface family of products, for relatively short product cycles, so a Broadwell Surface Pro 4 in February and then a Skylake Surface Pro 5 in July wouldn't be unheard of.

At the same time, customers who may not be privy to Intel's public statements that it plans to ramp Skylake this year could feel annoyed at having bought the "new" Surface Pro 4 only to have it obsoleted relatively quickly.

I look forward to seeing what Microsoft ultimately ends up doing, but my guess is that any Broadwell-based Surface Pro product will be quite short-lived.

By the time Skylake is close, there will be something greater on the horizon. It's pretty much exactly like how they announced Broadwell the day I received my Haswell SP3.

Corgi

Banned
Just hope they keep the same keyboard connector and aspect ratio screen size for more than a year.

don't have any problems with the surface 3... but the keyboard could always use improvements.

Doffen

Adobe and Microsoft are offering me a pretty sweet deal for SP3.
It's the i7 512gb version with a typecover for 12695 NOK (about $1662,94 included 25% tax).

So what's the verdict? Will Broadwell/Skylake improve enough to make the higher price worth it. Or should I jump in?

Work just bought me a SP3. Super happy. I love my original Pro, and this is an upgrade in basically every way. It's the i7 8 gig version with the 250 GB hard drive. Are there any drivers I should throw on this thing other than the default ones?

I know with the Pro sometimes you were better off using the intel graphics drivers.

SerTapTap

Ugh, w key on my typecover randomly stopped working (the rubber dome would actuate, no input sent). Free replacement since it's in warranty, MS chat support was pretty decent (ran me around a fair bit with the generic troubleshooting but hell, that's their job I guess)

Work just bought me a SP3. Super happy. I love my original Pro, and this is an upgrade in basically every way. It's the i7 8 gig version with the 250 GB hard drive. Are there any drivers I should throw on this thing other than the default ones?

I know with the Pro sometimes you were better off using the intel graphics drivers.

Should pull latest drivers from Windows Update. Haven't heard of any non-standard stuff to try.

Just hope they keep the same keyboard connector and aspect ratio screen size for more than a year.

don't have any problems with the surface 3... but the keyboard could always use improvements.

I imagine they'll settle on 3:2. They haven't changed the keyboard connector ever that I'm aware of? I never had the others, but I thought they're all the same connector.

SerTapTap

Not impressed with Cortana on my desktop (with a $150 Blue Yeti mic), definitely not risking windows 10 on the SP3 until she's working great or win 10 is released official. When she works it's great, but she works like 5% of the time. Google Now is much better, but I'm sure she'll improve.

So if I'm eyeing one of these with March bonus money, should I be thinking Surface Pro 3 or holding out until Surface Pro 4?

This article is NUTS. There's zero chance Microsoft is releasing a Surface Pro 4 AND 5 this year.

Some people assume they're going to keep up the rapid release cycle, but they're forgetting that the cycle was rapid because it's a new product and they needed to find the the right balance. The SP3 is the right balance, so I expect standard annual updates now and probably a quiet drop of the Surface RT (and RT in general) brand

Can't say about 3 or 4. 3 is pretty great, 4 will likely be an iterative rather than transformative upgrade. Personally I bought at the ~$1k level thinking they'll retain value decently and I can upgrade every other year or so rather than buy the big best GPU one first. Hoping the heat is the main issue addressed in Surface 4 but we won't know what's new until it's announced.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Cross posting this from the Windows 10 thread:

Ok, so I installed the latest version of the Windows 10 preview on my Surface Pro 3 and the results are really not good.

Aside from the fact that performance is terrible (screen redraws are extremely slow) there are other issues.

I can understand why they removed the charm bar for desktops but on a tablet it was the quickest way to access the Start screen, especially when using it portrait mode. Now I need to press the button which is on the bottom of the device when holding it in portrait and that requires 2 hands. Really hate this change.

The taskbar is visible at all times when in tablet mode. This is terrible. I don't want to see the taskbar when I'm trying to read a comic. I think there is a way to change this behaviour but I haven't found it yet.

Speaking of comics, my reader doesn't work any more. It says it can't read that format. No idea what's up there.

All my apps are unpinned after updating. When you first update you're greeted with a mostly blank start screen with a text list on the left. A text list is pretty useless, especially on a tablet, I just want to have a full start screen like in 8.

Also, and this is likely the bug they were talking about in the known issues, the tablet doesn't turn off the screen when pressing the power button. It goes black but I can see the screen is still lit. The machine is off right now but I can hear the fan going and it's really hot. This is actually the first time I've ever noticed the fan since getting this when is launched.

So far I'm really not seeing this as an improvement. Very disappointed.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
First off... Beta software. Secondly, Win10 and a SP4 are a lock for later this year.

I understand it's beta software, the things that are bothering me most are design changes. Namely not having one handed access to the Start screen, having a useless text list on the Start screen when in tablet mode and having the taskbar always visible in tablet mode.

Corgi

Banned
dont know if the coating was done wrong on mine... but its really easy to see fingerprints/marks on the screen when I try to use it as a touch screen :/

never had that issue on my iphone or ipad. hmmmm

kr2t0s

So nobody uses one of these for drawing and painting?

All I use mine is for painting. The screen size is perfect and stylus is really good. There is a slight jitter if you go really slow doing line work but lazy neumi can solve that. I do more painting than drawing these days so I never notice it

The other thing you must learn are software toolbars. Using Photoshop without a keyboard takes a little bit of getting used to. Check out surfaceproartist.com - he links to a couple of toolbars that work great for SP3.

Noah Bradley uses a surface pro 3 also. So yeah, it's great for painting in Photoshop or Manga Studio.

SerTapTap

I've enjoyed windows 10 a ton on my desktop but wouldn't put it on the SP3 yet. I thought the charm bar was here to say for touch devices only? Haven't had many problems but I suspect the first thing they wanted was to get all the desktop stuff right since the win 7 (or worse!) stragglers are staying behind because of the desktop experience.

Don't forget to send issues via the feedback app btw and upvote issues that you also have. They've already fixed some issues I had (like win shift left/right being broken! that was scary)

Biggest things I wanted win 10 on SP3 were Cortana and taskbar everywhere/metro in windows. Cortana is currently not worth putting a preview build on a device with only one OS or drive.

Top Bottom