• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

Well just picked up mine :)

Only paid $30 for the keyboard due to instant Giftcard

Quite honestly fucking stoked to have a Windows machine again

Corgi

Banned
Well just picked up mine :)

Only paid $30 for the keyboard due to instant Giftcard

Quite honestly fucking stoked to have a Windows machine again
Be wary the keyboard and track pad is vastly inferior to Macbook. Still functional though.

It's a really slick piece of tech. Have fun!

Be wary the keyboard and track pad is vastly inferior to Macbook. Still functional though.

It's a really slick piece of tech. Have fun!

Yeah, typing with it right now and it's super impressive for the minimal footprint it has. I'm adjusting.
Now just got to get a decent mouse.

I use Chrome on my SP2. The touch scrolling leaves a LOT to be desired but it otherwise works fine in Desktop mode. The only thing that annoys the hell out of me about Chrome on my SP2 is that it pops up the stupid on-screen keyboard every time I select a text box to type in and I have to hit a key on my Touch Cover to make it go away.

Pooya

I use Chrome on my SP2. The touch scrolling leaves a LOT to be desired but it otherwise works fine in Desktop mode. The only thing that annoys the hell out of me about Chrome on my SP2 is that it pops up the stupid on-screen keyboard every time I select a text box to type in and I have to hit a key on my Touch Cover to make it go away.

That happens in desktop mode? shouldn't happen. If you're using the 'windows 8 mode' though yeah but why would you.

Corgi

Banned
That happens in desktop mode? shouldn't happen. If you're using the 'windows 8 mode' though yeah but why would you.

yep it does.

chrome is fine for me the most part, just have some issues playing videos. Some hitching.

Is there no way to turn up performance for surface?

Most laptops have 'high performance' profiles or what not, but not seeing anything here.

SerTapTap

Yes, it's Chrome's fault not Windows. It's absolutely infuriating and there's not even a way to disable it in about:flags

Go to About:flags in the URL bar and fiddle with the Touch Scrolling Mode. Async Touch Move seems to be the best. Not quite as good as mobile Chrome's scrolling, far better than the standard Chrome desktop scrolling

Is there no way to turn up performance for surface?

Most laptops have 'high performance' profiles or what not, but not seeing anything here.

Not really. Surface Pro 3 isn't most laptops. It will throttle to keep from damaging itself, but the fan is smart and it doesn't seem to throttle BEFORE turning on the fan, which is all most laptop high performance things do (actually, if they're smart, normal mode will not throttle and battery saver will). Other than (dangerously) disabling the throttling, which I'm not sure there's actually a way to do, there's really nothing left to do to improve the performance, it's already set up properly.

Not really. Surface Pro 3 isn't most laptops. It will throttle to keep from damaging itself, but the fan is smart and it doesn't seem to throttle BEFORE turning on the fan, which is all most laptop high performance things do (actually, if they're smart, normal mode will not throttle and battery saver will). Other than (dangerously) disabling the throttling, which I'm not sure there's actually a way to do, there's really nothing left to do to improve the performance, it's already set up properly.

I've seen a video on youtube that shows that actually the throttling starts happening way before the processor is close to the damage temperature, it's actually a measure to keep the body to overheating to a point it could harm our hands.

And so, even a usb fan pointed at the back of the surface is enough to cool it so it start throttling with higher voltages (and still far from the damage point), and way higher performance.

Seeing as this is essentially the Surface OT, I thought I'd quickly add my thoughts on the original Surface Pro I got about a month ago.

I REALLY like it! A lot of the features work really well...it wasn't my first foray into Windows 8, so there was little to no learning curve.

It's a really solid piece of hardware, I find little tweaks here and there (the pen goes into the battery slot via battery!) and it runs Football Manager 15 like a champ ;)

Totakeke

Someone let me know if there's ever a decent ~8" companion device with pen support for the SP3 that's also lightweight. There's often not enough display real estate to write while reading off another document comfortably.

The Yoga Tablet 2 with Windows 8 just announced seems a step in the right direction, but looks too bulky.
RP9ndHR.jpg

http://www.windowscentral.com/lenovos-yoga-tablet-2-windows-gets-refreshed-work-any-pen

Corgi

Banned
What are y'all's use cases for this with the pen and touch screen?

Love the device, but been mostly using it as a laptop.

Just feel like my ipad mini is better form factor for tablet use on the sofa. And I have no clue what to use the pen for.

this really is the first laptop i've had with a touch screen or stylus though.

SerTapTap

I use touch whenever possible to replace mouse/touchpad use, great for scrolling...when possible. I use max DPI settings so (most) things are fairly touchable (surprised desktop win 8 is still pretty bad about this though). It's also my only real tablet anymore, I neglect the old iPad 3 especially since it runs like ass with iOS 8.

Pen is AMAZING for notes, love one note, unfortunately I don't have much use for it beyond that. It's also great for very specific sorts of point and click games like Peggle, all depends on how the game handles the mouse though--stuff like FPS judges mouse movement instead of position on screen, and thus don't work. Lots of other games are..weird, to say the least, about mouse movement.

I've seen a video on youtube that shows that actually the throttling starts happening way before the processor is close to the damage temperature, it's actually a measure to keep the body to overheating to a point it could harm our hands.

And so, even a usb fan pointed at the back of the surface is enough to cool it so it start throttling with higher voltages (and still far from the damage point), and way higher performance.

Huh. Do we have any solid info on disabling throttling, what risks it has and what performance impact it has? I remember it being a huge bitchfest at launch, but perf has mostly been fine here. I never have issues with perf (other than chrome just dying, I think that's just chrome's fault though), games even seem okay considering laptop-like performance.

Nero3000

Just feel like my ipad mini is better form factor for tablet use on the sofa. And I have no clue what to use the pen for.

I use the pen (pro 1) all the time in the office. Note taking, sketching powerpoint slides (in powerpoint), document annotating are the main uses. Touch screen - some time can display a useable dashboard in excel, flicking though documents.

Someone let me know if there's ever a decent ~8" companion device with pen support for the SP3 that's also lightweight. There's often not enough display real estate to write while reading off another document comfortably.

The Yoga Tablet 2 with Windows 8 just announced seems a step in the right direction, but looks too bulky.
RP9ndHR.jpg

http://www.windowscentral.com/lenovos-yoga-tablet-2-windows-gets-refreshed-work-any-pen

Toshiba Encore 2 Write?

8 inch wacom enabled - $349

(picture may be of the 10 inch version)

Huh. Do we have any solid info on disabling throttling, what risks it has and what performance impact it has? I remember it being a huge bitchfest at launch, but perf has mostly been fine here. I never have issues with perf (other than chrome just dying, I think that's just chrome's fault though), games even seem okay considering laptop-like performance.

I dunno if anyone found out how to disable the throttling yet. The video I saw the guy just used a usb fan to vent the back of the surface and the framerate increased a lot in many games. He also said he was extensively monitoring the temperatures and that it never got close to the danger zone, so he expected he wasn't damaging the unit in the long term.

It did sound safe, but who knows XD

Note taking is fantastic. The best part (for me) is being able to select a block of text and move it around. Sometimes I'll be in a meeting, and we'll move onto a new discussion matter, just to have someone go, "Oh yeah, I forgot about..." and then go back to a previous matter. It's amazing to be able to select the written text, move it down, and then take notes where they belong on my "paper."

Being able to change pen colors is nice, too. I'll usually switch to red or something for important notes.

SerTapTap

I dunno if anyone found out how to disable the throttling yet. The video I saw the guy just used a usb fan to vent the back of the surface and the framerate increased a lot in many games. He also said he was extensively monitoring the temperatures and that it never got close to the danger zone, so he expected he wasn't damaging the unit in the long term.

It did sound safe, but who knows XD

Huh, just watched the video...I Think I'll get one of those ($8 on Amazon) just in case I ever need to use the SP3 as a portable console.Only time I've noticed throttling (I think) was when messing with random Steam games.

Couldn't help myself from yelling at an idiot in the video comments...

Huh, just watched the video...I Think I'll get one of those ($8 on Amazon) just in case I ever need to use the SP3 as a portable console.Only time I've noticed throttling (I think) was when messing with random Steam games.

Couldn't help myself from yelling at an idiot in the video comments...
Yeah, don't get that fan. I have that fan, and it's a piece of shit. The "bendable" metal part always snaps back into straight instantly, and most of the time my fan ends up blowing at nothing because of that.

I'd definitely recommend a different fan if you're going to get one.

SerTapTap

Yeah, don't get that fan. I have that fan, and it's a piece of shit. The "bendable" metal part always snaps back into straight instantly, and most of the time my fan ends up blowing at nothing because of that.

Oh, huh. Did you get one that works? I haven't bought anything yet

Hmmm... Have you tried plugging it in on the charger? It could be easier to positioning around.

That's how I would do, since I would need the USB port to plug in the controller.

SerTapTap

Speaking of USB ports, in search ong a "hang off" USB port expander, I got this, will let you guys know how it works. Got 4 USB ports, should be enough for most of what I need and much more portable than most expansion things

Hmmm... Have you tried plugging it in on the charger? It could be easier to positioning around.

That's how I would do, since I would need the USB port to plug in the controller.
I actually have it on an Amazon USB 3.0 hub, which is plugged into my dock. It doesn't really help, though, because the bend never holds on the fan, so it just sits straight. I'd have to set the USB hub on its side to get the optimal angle; otherwise, I can just kind of tilt the fan toward the Surface, but it'll wrench itself away eventually.

SerTapTap

Hm, the USB thing I linked is okay...it'd be amazing if not for the fact that it has no power adapter and the Surface Pro's USB port apparently has pretty low power on it's own too. It can operate 4 USB sticks (I didn't try writing to all 4 at once or anything scientific, but it recognized all 4 and accessed them correctly), it can only handle 2 DS4s. Basically assume you get 2 NOT high power devices (USB HDDs are a no no unless they have an external power adapter). Anything that doesn't take power over USB would be fine I think.

It's a perfect size though. Small as possible, swivels to any 90 degree angle, perfectly sits without blocking the power connector when plugged in (either way!), won't block the mini DP port if it's pointed downward. Damn I really wish it had more power, even if I had to plug it in to an outlet somehow.

SerTapTap

Yeah it's 3.0. I don't have enough 3.0 to make it worth it, and yeah I think 3.0 is too intensive to split that much (splitting 2.0 doesn't work well unpowered either). It's a shame, but USB isn't really designed to be split so much. I was sorta hoping the USB port might magically work with the data port if the Surface is plugged in, but no that one's power only. Not sure I'll bother getting anything else unless I find a cheap plugged in one. It'd be nice to be able to use my mic and USB capture card from the surface but it's really not a big deal.

Someone broke into my apartment and stole my roommate and my surface pro 3s. :( :(.

Also got my camera (luckily only a 600$ one, not a dslr), roomie's (old) mbp, kindle.

hurts.

AlexMogil

I was just getting ready to offer both a new and used Surface Pro 3 for sale and riiiight now it seems a little inappropriate.

Really sorry man.

Someone broke into my apartment and stole my roommate and my surface pro 3s. :( :(.

Also got my camera (luckily only a 600$ one, not a dslr), roomie's (old) mbp, kindle.

hurts.

Every time I travel, I put my prized electronics in the trunk of my car that stays at the airport. I'm afraid of them being stolen in a break-in while I'm gone.

I have a strange attachment to my favorite electronics and I mourn your loss. I hope you got that inchoorance.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

hurts.

Fuck, that sucks :(

My brother had his housed broken into just before Xmas, took his laptop, X1, 360, etc.. I feel for you guys.

hurts.
Ouch. Sorry to hear. I sometimes take my Surface with me when I go somewhere, but that still leaves all my other stuff vulnerable.

I actually just got a note last week from one of my neighbors, saying there've been more burglaries in my area in the last four months than she's seen in the past 25 years. It's scary as fuck.

So I'm looking for a mouse for my Surface Pro 3. I'm getting a little tired of having a wireless adapter plugged into the only USB port so this will be a convienence for me.

I'm pretty much down to the Microsoft Wedge Touch and the Microsoft Sculpt Comfort. I was wondering if anyone has used either and would be able to offer a recommendation.. or if they could recommend another one, it would help out alot. If it helps I have large hands and use the mouse right handed.

AlexMogil

So I'm looking for a mouse for my Surface Pro 3. I'm getting a little tired of having a wireless adapter plugged into the only USB port so this will be a convienence for me.

I'm pretty much down to the Microsoft Wedge Touch and the Microsoft Sculpt Comfort. I was wondering if anyone has used either and would be able to offer a recommendation.. or if they could recommend another one, it would help out alot. If it helps I have large hands and use the mouse right handed.

I hate wireless mouses and I used the Sculpt Comfort. I still hate wireless mouses but that mouse was ok. My issue is that I can never find 'North' with a wireless mouse so I end up sliding all over the place. I also used to get severe delays when doing wireless transfers when I used the Sculpt. I don't know if it was related to the Sculpt or just crummy Bluetooth.

I currently use the Arc Touch Surface Edition. It's neat but I still don't like wireless mouses!!! Maybe my hands are just too big or something.

I still use my MX518 whenever I can. It's wired and comfortable and big.

bedlamite

Just got a Pro 3, absolutely loving it so far but the kickstand seems to be loose; it firms up as I swing it farther out but it's all flappy for the first 30 degrees or so. Is this normal or should I get this unit replaced?

SerTapTap

I just use a wireless bluetooth logitech travel mouse, don't really see the need for weird touch mice, definitely get something bluetooth and travel-worthy though, it's great to have.
Just got a Pro 3, absolutely loving it so far but the kickstand seems to be loose; it firms up as I swing it farther out but it's all flappy for the first 30 degrees or so. Is this normal or should I get this unit replaced?

Not sure how standard it is, but the first 20 degrees or so are a bit loose on mine, certainly a different feel to the rest of angles, I think it's intended as they're not really great angles to have the SP3 at anyway. They should kinda work but they're not as stable (just due to the angle) since the SP3 is almost straight up. As long as the hinge stays where you put it it should be alright.

hurts.

That's terrible :(

I have the Sculpt Comfort. It's a very competent mouse for me, though I don't really game on PC, so I wouldn't know if it would be good for that. I love that it doesn't require a dongle and doesn't use up your USB port, and I also like how seamlessly it connects with the Surface.

One nifty feature (that I honestly don't really use) is that the Windows button on the mouse is actually also a touch pad, so you can conceivably create and use gestures with it.

I'm thinking about getting an SP3 but I have arrived at a conundrum. SP2 seems to be cheaper and I kinda want to do recreational drawing so with the wacom tech would it be a better fit aside from the screen real estate?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'm thinking about getting an SP3 but I have arrived at a conundrum. SP2 seems to be cheaper and I kinda want to do recreational drawing so with the wacom tech would it be a better fit aside from the screen real estate?

The N-Trig pen is very capable and has been fine for me for drawing and sculpting. The extra screen size does make a difference. There are a couple of pros and cons to each. With the Wacom it gets less precise the further you get to the edge of the screen, meaning the cursor is offset from where the pen is. The N-Trig is consistent across the entire screen.

On the flip-side the N-Trig get's jittery if you draw very slowly, meaning your line will be a bit wavy. Personally I don't tend to draw slowly enough that this happens so it's not a problem for me.

Aside from that I would recommend getting the SP3 for 2 reasons. Not only is the SP3 screen bigger but the unit is actually lighter than the SP2 and secondly the multi-angle kickstand means you can place the SP3 in much more comfortable positions for drawing. When I'm at my desk I tend to have it with the kickstand all the way back which is the most comfortable for drawing. Like this:

post-76958-0-01926000-1400667166.png

The N-Trig pen is very capable and has been fine for me for drawing and sculpting. The extra screen size does make a difference. There are a couple of pros and cons to each. With the Wacom it gets less precise the further you get to the edge of the screen, meaning the cursor is offset from where the pen is. The N-Trig is consistent across the entire screen.

On the flip-side the N-Trig get's jittery if you draw very slowly, meaning your line will be a bit wavy. Personally I don't tend to draw slowly enough that this happens so it's not a problem for me.

Aside from that I would recommend getting the SP3 for 2 reasons. Not only is the SP3 screen bigger but the unit is actually lighter than the SP2 and secondly the multi-angle kickstand means you can place the SP3 in much more comfortable positions for drawing. When I'm at my desk I tend to have it with the kickstand all the way back which is the most comfortable for drawing. Like this:

post-76958-0-01926000-1400667166.png
Thanks for the feedback. That settles it. SP3 it is!

Pooya

Toshiba Encore 2 Write looks interesting, want to try, I haven't used anything Toshiba made in over a decade I think. It could replace Asus Vivo Note 8 well, that wasn't very good. Almost one year later still waiting for Surface Mini. Somebody get a 8" note device right already.

Quick update: those alleged AAAA batteries I bought from Amazon a while back turned out to be "AAA Alkaline" batteries. Who in the world would call alkaline AAA batteries AAAA? Come on!

Luckily, I found out because I happened to need some AAA batteries, so it works out, but come on.

Dash27

I'm really hyped up for one of these. I'm trying to figure out what version I'd want and then compare that to a similarly priced laptop.

I'd be mainly using it for Office apps: Excel, Word, I've never used OneNote but it sounds great especially with the pen, One Drive, Outlook too possibly although I'm still digging GMail.

So would the i5 128GB be enough I wonder? With OneDrive, Google Drive, an SD Card... even a USB for a stand alone back up drive... that should be ok? or just suck it up and do 256GB.

128GB for 999.00
Keyboard 129.99
Docking Station 199.00

Top Bottom