• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

SerTapTap

Is there a specific manipulation to do in order for the button on the pen to launch one note etc ? Never worked for me, but I remember that it was supposed to be a shortcut to launch the app ?

As long as the pen is synced it should automatically do it. I think you can disable it with the Surface Hub app but it should work by default. You're pressing the purple button, right? I think it should even wake the device up.

Fox1304

As long as the pen is synced it should automatically do it. I think you can disable it with the Surface Hub app but it should work by default. You're pressing the purple button, right? I think it should even wake the device up.

Yep, purple button but nothing is working.

Fox1304

This this stuff I guess. Never had it happen so I don't know where to start otherwise: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en...-and-search/troubleshoot-surface-pen#Clicking

Batteries shouldn't be low unless you use your pen a ton (does that actually drain it faster I assume?) I got my SP3 at launch and no battery issues yet.
Thank you, I'll try those, especially the BT one since I've barely used the pen.

Edit : holy crap double click the button takes a screenshot ! Lifesaver !

SerTapTap

Sort of specific issue, but has anyone noticed their SP3 seems to introduce lag to a PS4 controller if it's in the way? Would disabling bluetooth help with that or what? I use both in bed somewhat often and I think that's why I sometimes get wonky input lag.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I got an i7 SP3 for work last week but I still have the MacBook Pro they issued me that I'm more comfortable using, so I haven't been able to put the Surface through its paces yet. I took a stab at OneNote, which I really want to like, but it didn't seem super intuitive.

Rehynn

I've been loving my new SP3, but noticed that wi-fi is kinda slow... is there any solution to this? I know the Docking Station has a more powerful wi-fi receiver, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much (and take the SP3 out of the awesome case I got for it everytime I want faster internet).

SerTapTap

I've been loving my new SP3, but noticed that wi-fi is kinda slow... is there any solution to this? I know the Docking Station has a more powerful wi-fi receiver, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much (and take the SP3 out of the awesome case I got for it everytime I want faster internet).

Haven't noticed slow wifi though I use 5Ghz--up/down on speedtest.net seems about the same as my wired connection. Are you using 2.4? I upgraded to a dual band router a while ago, pretty nice, I think there's less interference this way too since half my devices are 5ghz and the other half are 2.4.

Rehynn

Haven't noticed slow wifi though I use 5Ghz--up/down on speedtest.net seems about the same as my wired connection. Are you using 2.4? I upgraded to a dual band router a while ago, pretty nice, I think there's less interference this way too since half my devices are 5ghz and the other half are 2.4.

Yeah, it must be my router, I'm in a different apartment at the moment, and the wi-fi speeds are much nicer here. Thanks!

SerTapTap

Anyone had any issues with multitouch? A moderately sized chunk of the top left of my screen occasionally stops responding to multitouch or starts getting phantom touches. Pen and mouse (of course) still work in the region. Wondering if I can reinstall the multitouch drivers or something? Calibrating the touch display doesn't do anything about it

So my surface pro 3 is stuck on the 'no power' screen, cant boot it even though the charger is plugged in, light is on. I tried the two button fix but it's still showing the no power icon.

SerTapTap

My cat spilled water (and salt--he's very talented) under my SP3 (fortunately it was sitting upright with the stand) and there was corrosion on the Typecover contacts. How worried should I be? Corrosion easily came off with a q tip and rubbing alcohol. I guess it should be no different than old console cartridges, right? I've cleaned some nasty stuff off of those and don't think I've seen permanent damage to any yet. The contacts seem perfectly intact and it worked fine after cleaning. Never seen that much corrosion form overnight though.

So my surface pro 3 is stuck on the 'no power' screen, cant boot it even though the charger is plugged in, light is on. I tried the two button fix but it's still showing the no power icon.

Talk to their chat I guess. Sounds like a hardware issue, assuming it doesn't power on even after a very long time on the charger. My phone once got so dead it wouldn't respond at all but it came back after about a half hour on the charger, SP3 might be the same.

Totakeke

Just saw this today, from Build 2015.

7dwDDST.jpg

1njLWzy.jpg

The Surface Pro 3-in-1 is the first device that can be all three. With our simple VESA-mounted dock, you can finally use the bright and beautiful Surface Pro 3 screen at eye-level right next to 1 or 2 desktop monitors for productivity. And with our optional lock, you can finally secure the tablet so it doesn’t go walking. Docking is easier than ever because we use the zero-insertion force 40-pin magnetic edge connector which breaks out into DisplayPort, power, and USB. So you just drop in your tablet and you're up and running with a full desktop experience in seconds. No moving parts. No cables to plug in. Simple one step docking.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/danchar/archive/2015/04/30/surface-pro-3-in-1-vesa-mounted-dock.aspx

Certainly way more useful as a second screen compared to the current dock setup.

derFeef

I think I will jump on a i5 SP3 soon. I was debating a S3 but Photoshop will like the additional power and ram I hope. Ir is there any reason, rumors to wait for a SP4?

derFeef

There's always something better/newer around the corner, though.

Might as well jump in at some stage.

That's what I think too. Either a laptop with gaming capabilities or a SP3 for on-the-go-work/sketches. That's what I was debating with but a SP3 might as well be it. As long as the SP4 does not have a super GPU inside I will not kick myself, I think.

Schlep

The emerging pattern seems to be that even numbered Surface Pros are the step upgrades where the odd numbered ones are the major upgrades. If you can find a cheap SP3, it's probably worth it. Only rumors I've seen of the 4 are slightly thinner, and fanless due to Broadwell being a die shrink from Haswell. SP5, on the other hand, should be Skylake based. That means entirely new architecture and significant power jump compared with the SP3/4.

You won't have the latest and greatest with a 3, but the 4 looks like a very minor upgrade the same way the 2 was.

SerTapTap

Wait a few more months. SP4 has to be close.

Since they announced Surface 3 this year I'm not so sure about that anymore. They could be going into a Surface/Pro alternating 2 year cycle. Would make more sense IMO, yearly releases are a bit much for an expensive computer. Especially since they may have finally found a worthy non-pro Surface. RT had to go.

Just saw this today, from Build 2015.
Certainly way more useful as a second screen compared to the current dock setup.

Hey that's pretty sweet. Will they make that a real product or is it just a hackathon what-if thing? Though it'd be even better if you could take video-in.

derFeef

so far its all good. setting up takes time but I am almost done. I have to say that the type cover feels weird if you turn it to the back and hold the Surface in your hands.

Q: Do i need to manually download the new firmware or is that covered by windows update?

hwalker84

so far its all good. setting up takes time but I am almost done. I have to say that the type cover feels weird if you turn it to the back and hold the Surface in your hands.

Q: Do i need to manually download the new firmware or is that covered by windows update?
Covered by Windows Updates.

derFeef

Yeah the updates keep coming. Should I get a screen protection? I fear they might interfere with the stylus. Sorry for those questions, probably asked a hundred times :)

Enjoying it so far!

derFeef

Any essentials I should install/setup? Like tweaks/tools for performance and power.
I will get a microSD today and a LTE stick for on-thego-internet.

Also should I disable Bitlocker? I don't think I need an encrypted drive.

Any essentials I should install/setup? Like tweaks/tools for performance and power.

Just leave the system be when it comes to things like that. Microsoft has really good out of the box experience, especially after you have done any pending updates.

I'm planning to get the Surface 3, but it's priced rather ridiculously compared to, well, attempts by other OEMs. Although they might not have the latest Intel chips, I suspect they'd be plenty fast anyway.

It's just that I really want the Surface 3 just for the build quality.

(I see no Surface "Lite" 3 OT. Is someone working on it?)

Drifters

Just leave the system be when it comes to things like that. Microsoft has really good out of the box experience, especially after you have done any pending updates.

I'm planning to get the Surface 3, but it's priced rather ridiculously compared to, well, attempts by other OEMs. Although they might not have the latest Intel chips, I suspect they'd be plenty fast anyway.

Keep everything as "stock" as possible on the SP3 and you will have a lovely experience. I've had mine now for 3 months and I will probably never NOT own a device like this again, it just is so smooth. You'll get used to the type cover just make sure to trim your finger nails. ;)

What micro SD cards are people using for SP3 ?

Do you go for those 90Mb/s read cards or slower 40+ types ? I've noticed that they only make 128 in the slower variant so faster one would be only 64 GB.

derFeef

Hmm I am having some troubles with HTML5 / flash videos. They are buffering/hanging like crazy. Connection should be fine I just checked. I tried in IE and Firefox, both with the same problem.

Also any way to switch the Fn keys permanently fo F keys? I know the Fn+Caps trick but that only lasts for one session.

Hmm I am having some troubles with HTML5 / flash videos. They are buffering/hanging like crazy. Connection should be fine I just checked. I tried in IE and Firefox, both with the same problem.

Also any way to switch the Fn keys permanently fo F keys? I know the Fn+Caps trick but that only lasts for one session.
I have that issue with my SP2, haven't been able to fix it myself.

TylerD

I'm doing the no-fuss trade in Here of my 32gb Surface 2 to get the $150 towards a Surface 3 4gb ram / 128gb. It will come to the same price I paid for my Surface 2. I never got a touch\type cover and use it as a tablet mainly but will probably be picking up a stylus. The updates, being able to run desktop applications and being able to upgrade to Win 10 are enough for me.

did you change the CPU max speed in power saving settings?

Top Bottom