• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

The MS Store raised the price of the SP3 in Canada to compensate for the weaker dollar. The cheapest model is now $949. I guess it was inevitable considering the Surface 3 is $639.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I might go pick up a SP3 tomorrow. Probably a floor model or return from a local electronics dealer (all factory guaranteed, etc.)

What is the best price I can hope for (optimally, I will get them down to the lowest amount) Probably looking at either the 64GB or 128GB i5 models

derFeef

Any idea as to what the firmware update was the other day?

Apparently this:

Surface Pro 3 UEFI update (v3.11.850.0) includes changes needed for compatibility with the updated graphics driver.

HD Graphics Family driver update (v10.18.14.4170) improves graphics performance and includes better Miracast (wireless display) support.

Display Audio driver update (v6.16.00.3172) improves audio experience and supports compatibility with the updated graphics driver.

SerTapTap

How good is Miracast after the updates, anyway? Still not good enough for gaming, I assume? If it's at least as good as Steam In Home Steaming I guess it could be nicer than plugging in my mini displayport cord.

I think I found part of my "keyboard cuts out" problem--it stops working if the device is rotated so far. I try to use it sideways in bed and stuff sometimes, I guess it doesn't like that. I can kinda see why it would assume you wouldn't be typing, but it'd be nice for that to be an option instead of forced.

The only issue I've had with Miracast before is that sometimes the SP3 and wireless display adaptor won't detect each other. I hope that the update resolves that issue.

ShdwDrake

Banned
So guys I have a MSI gaming laptop. I use it to surf the web mainly and sometimes play Lol on the go. Its a core i5 4200u with a GTX 840m 2GB. I got offered a Surface pro 3 core 13 model with the keyboard and other accessories for it.

I have a gaming PC (phenom II x4 965 BE, GTX 770) that I actually use for gaming. I used to have an ipad loved it but it went out on me a while back. I was just wondering if GAF thought that this was a good trade?

Edit: Also, can you use an SD card as like a 2nd harddrive?

Josh5890

I wouldn't mind getting one as an upgrade over my Kindle Fire but I'll probably have to wait a year and try to get it as a graduation gift to myself for finishing my Bachelor's Degree

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I had to exchange my SP3 due to yellowing along one side of the screen. It's actually been there for a while but I figured I'd wait a bit to exchange it so that I got a new one just before the warrantee expired.

I just wanted to say that dealing with MS support was fantastic. I called before heading to the MS store to make sure they'd exchange it since I didn't buy it there and the guy at MS support couldn't have been more helpful. He even offered to call me back later just to make sure I was able to exchange it and if not then schedule a mail exchange.

The guy at the store was also very helpful and I was in and out with a new Surface in less than 10 minutes.

hadareud

The Translator
That's cool, my screen is yellowing on the left as well. I didn't really care about it too much, but if they're reasonable about it I might as well get it exchanged too.

derFeef

Good to know, have not noticed anything yet though.
Last firmware improved Flash/HTML5 performance a little bit. Still getting stuttering/pausing but maybe some tweaks can help.

RayStorm

This might be a Rambo 3 - blue light kind of answer, but... How do you notice the screen yellowing? Is that something that occurs over time or is there from the start?

So the Surface Pro 3 I bought at launch last year had to be replaced. Popping sound started happening, sounded like a capacitor was going bad. I assume it was a known issue because customer service asked like one question before letting me get a new one. With a month left on warranty I'm happy it didn't happen later.

SerTapTap

So the Surface Pro 3 I bought at launch last year had to be replaced. Popping sound started happening, sounded like a capacitor was going bad. I assume it was a known issue because customer service asked like one question before letting me get a new one. With a month left on warranty I'm happy it didn't happen later.

Popping sound in alternating speakers? I just started getting that too, I guess I'll have to check if warranty is still in effect, bought mine day one

This might be a Rambo 3 - blue light kind of answer, but... How do you notice the screen yellowing? Is that something that occurs over time or is there from the start?

Very first SP3 I had got some sort of weird color issue but it was instantly visible. No problem with the current one. I've also got a TN monitor doing something like that, white makes it the most obvious. If pure white looks "wrong" (moreso than standard slightly-blueish LED backlighting) then it might be messed up. The telltale sign in both of my cases were inconsistent color though.

So guys I have a MSI gaming laptop. I use it to surf the web mainly and sometimes play Lol on the go. Its a core i5 4200u with a GTX 840m 2GB. I got offered a Surface pro 3 core 13 model with the keyboard and other accessories for it.

I have a gaming PC (phenom II x4 965 BE, GTX 770) that I actually use for gaming. I used to have an ipad loved it but it went out on me a while back. I was just wondering if GAF thought that this was a good trade?

Edit: Also, can you use an SD card as like a 2nd harddrive?

I've barely touched my ipad and gave away my Nexus 7 and x200 tablet laptop since getting the Surface Pro 3. It's a better laptop and tablet for around the home use. It's big but that's not a problem in my use case, and I don't need the iOS/Android ecosystems.

Yes, it has a microSD card slot internally, though it's treated as a removable drive. This doesn't matter much, but File History doesn't let you back up to it I think (you should back up to an external drive anyway). I use mine for larger Steam games I rarely play.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

It happens over time. My guess is it's something with the screen lifting on one side maybe due to heat? Once it happens it's always there, you can even notice a line when the screen is off. It looks like this:

uploadfromtaptalk1408168693686-jpg.3042

SerTapTap

It happens over time. My guess is it's something with the screen lifting on one side maybe due to heat? Once it happens it's always there, you can even notice a line when the screen is off. It looks like this:

That's weird, is that "normal" orientation, keyboard at bottom? Heat is focused on the top right so I'd expect any heat damage to manifest on that side.

I forget if that's what the color damage looked like when I first got mine...I know that right at first boot it had a color smear. Support rep I talked to wasn't familiar with the issue but this was right at launch. Could just be a manufacturing defect.

StudioTan

That's weird, is that "normal" orientation, keyboard at bottom? Heat is focused on the top right so I'd expect any heat damage to manifest on that side.

I forget if that's what the color damage looked like when I first got mine...I know that right at first boot it had a color smear. Support rep I talked to wasn't familiar with the issue but this was right at launch. Could just be a manufacturing defect.

Actually, you may be right, it may not be a heat issue since it's on the left side of the screen. It's not an uncommon issue, there is a long thread about it on the Surface forums.

The guy I spoke to didn't even question it, he just said we want to stand behind our products so we'll replace it right away.

The new unit I got actually has a fair bit of light bleed about an inch long on the right side that my other one didn't have. I only see on black screens though, not sure if it's worth trying to exchange it again.

SerTapTap

The new unit I got actually has a fair bit of light bleed about an inch long on the right side that my other one didn't have. I only see on black screens though, not sure if it's worth trying to exchange it again.

Oh mine does that too and I didn't even question it. I only notice it when turning the screen on/off and the backlight is on but the screen is blank. Just assumed it was a normal quality of the screen sort of like the mura effect on the Vita's OLED. Mine's on all edges, though it's a little uneven. I'd get a picture though I doubt it'd show well.

StudioTan

Oh mine does that too and I didn't even question it. I only notice it when turning the screen on/off and the backlight is on but the screen is blank. Just assumed it was a normal quality of the screen sort of like the mura effect on the Vita's OLED. Mine's on all edges, though it's a little uneven. I'd get a picture though I doubt it'd show well.

Yeah, there's light leak around most of the outside on both but this one has a brighter spot on the right side about an inch long and comes out further from the edge than the rest. It's probably not something I'll worry about but it was noticeable.

DaveH

Actually, you may be right, it may not be a heat issue since it's on the left side of the screen. It's not an uncommon issue, there is a long thread about it on the Surface forums.

The guy I spoke to didn't even question it, he just said we want to stand behind our products so we'll replace it right away.

Quick question on replacement... do they transfer everything from machine to machine for you or do you have to do that yourself / in anticipation of swapping (was the transfer seamless?) and did you have to provide any proofs to get that service?

I'm curious about DRM'ed software and other stuff typically tied to machines and whether I need to find a receipt or something.

StudioTan

Quick question on replacement... do they transfer everything from machine to machine for you or do you have to do that yourself / in anticipation of swapping (was the transfer seamless?) and did you have to provide any proofs to get that service?

I'm curious about DRM'ed software and other stuff typically tied to machines and whether I need to find a receipt or something.

They don't transfer anything, you need to take care of any backup yourself. I did a backup and then reset mine so it was wiped when I returned it.

They didn't need a receipt because a) the device has 1 year warrantee and it hasn't been out for a year so it has to still be covered and b) they can apparently check when you bought via the serial number.

DaveH

They don't transfer anything, you need to take care of any backup yourself. I did a backup and then reset mine so it was wiped when I returned it.

They didn't need a receipt because a) the device has 1 year warrantee and it hasn't been out for a year so it has to still be covered and b) they can apparently check when you bought via the serial number.
Thanks!

hadareud

The Translator
Odd, I'm not having any problems in metro IE with youtube. There's a few flash video players that are a bit shitty, but YT works well no matter the resolution. I'd go mental if it didn't, it's probably my most used thing on my Surface.

Yes, I know that's of no help whatsoever.

derFeef

Well I have not tried metro IE, that's one thing I can check. But to me it seems like a video memory issue because audio keeps going, but video pauses and I get a "buffering" circle. Which is odd.

SerTapTap

Haven't really noticed video perf problems in chrome on my i5. It kicks on the fan, always, but the video plays and doesn't overheat or anything. Does it even do it for fully buffered videos?

SerTapTap

Metro IE seems great, shame it's basically useless to me since I really do need my taskbar/desktop. Hoping (ow the) Edge is surprisingly good and still touch friendly on desktop and I might actually be able to use it over chrome. For now I'll deal with chrome's memory/performance problems.

SerTapTap

Ugh that "get windows 10" notification cocktease. Is anyone running the latest tech preview of win 10 on a Surface Pro 3? Has it improved/does it have any issues? I heard it wasn't as good on tablets as it was on desktops, only ever tried the tech preview on desktop. I'm hoping I can upgrade to win 10 day 1 because I need a fresh install on my desktop and metro-in-window would be great for my surface.

SerTapTap

I didn't get that notification yet on my surface pro 1 :(

It's just a reservation so don't panic unless you don't get it by July 28th. I've heard rebooting your PC may make it appear. All it does is tell you a bit about win 10 and give you a single button to click to reserve it. Best I can tell you'll still have to wait for July 29th like everyone else

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Ugh that "get windows 10" notification cocktease. Is anyone running the latest tech preview of win 10 on a Surface Pro 3? Has it improved/does it have any issues? I heard it wasn't as good on tablets as it was on desktops, only ever tried the tech preview on desktop. I'm hoping I can upgrade to win 10 day 1 because I need a fresh install on my desktop and metro-in-window would be great for my surface.

If you use your surface like a laptop, windows 10 would be great for you.

If you use it primarily as a tablet... avoid until MS redos the tablet UI

SerTapTap

If you use your surface like a laptop, windows 10 would be great for you.

If you use it primarily as a tablet... avoid until MS redos the tablet UI

Huh, what's wrong with it? I currently use it 99% of the time as a laptop (most of it's "tablet time" is just Chrome in portrait mode) but was hoping Win 10 would make it easier not harder to use like a tablet. Granted the main tablet feature I'm looking forward to is MS Edge with easy desktop/metro mode switching

DopeyFish

Huh, what's wrong with it? I currently use it 99% of the time as a laptop (most of it's "tablet time" is just Chrome in portrait mode) but was hoping Win 10 would make it easier not harder to use like a tablet. Granted the main tablet feature I'm looking forward to is MS Edge with easy desktop/metro mode switching

Just about everything.

It's cumbersome. Just imagine windows 7 but with an auto pop up keyboard and when you swipe from the left you get a nasty full screen app list and when you swap from the right you get the action center which is shit compared to charms.

Oh and you always have the damn taskbar at the bottom at all times...

It's so bad.

Trying to split screen apps is a chore and edge browser is complete garbage compared to metroIE...

SerTapTap

Taskbar is Metro is fine to me, but what happened to Charms? I don't see any reason not to keep Charms when in "tablet mode"

BTW, anyone tried keeping their whole Steam library on the microSD card? I'm trying that out but unsure how majorly it impacts performance. Is stuff slow to load but plays fine or have people noticed issues?

DopeyFish

Well... imagine when you're using edge browser, which doesnt full screen in tablet mode like metro IE does... and you always have your tabs, your address bar and the taskbar visible at all times.

If you've ever used windows xp or 7 on a tablet, you'll understand the awfulness that awaits you

SerTapTap

which doesnt full screen in tablet mode like metro IE does

I thought that was the whole point of the tablet mode...easily switch between full screen style mode and not. If it doesn't I don't see much use for it.

Drifters

Well... imagine when you're using edge browser, which doesnt full screen in tablet mode like metro IE does... and you always have your tabs, your address bar and the taskbar visible at all times.

If you've ever used windows xp or 7 on a tablet, you'll understand the awfulness that awaits you

It's a space issue and I get it, however, the browser is far from finished. I would imagine before the RTM they will fix that.

hadareud

The Translator
I really hope there will be tablet mode similar to Metro IE for Spartan. Also, there should be an option for disabling the taskbar. Personally I just don't see the use of it in tablet mode at all, if others (and MS) do that's cool, but let me get rid of it if I want to.

I think the charms have been relatively adequately replaced by the settings/notification centre, though there's still some tuning that can be done.

What I will really miss is the quick app switching/snapping by swiping in from the left. I don't see why it's no longer there - a quick swipe gets you to your last application, a slow one gets you to all the apps/desktops. I think that would make sense, and as it currently is it's really annoying if you are used to W8.

Btw, I very much doubt that we'll see any of this or anything UX wise changed for launch. I suspect the time for new features and changes is now gone and it's time to bug fix and streamline what's actually there and leave it in its current form.

I need a new laptop, but is it even worth buying a surface pro 3 at this point? Should I wait for the pro 4? I'll be using photoshop every once and a while, but I do want to use it for game streaming from the Xbox One to Windows 10. I don't think that would work well on the Surface 3.

How is gaming on the pro 3?

What does the Pro have over a regular mid-grade laptop from HP or Toshiba besides the detachable keyboard?

I need a new laptop, but is it even worth buying a surface pro 3 at this point? Should I wait for the pro 4? I'll be using photoshop every once and a while, but I do want to use it for game streaming from the Xbox One to Windows 10. I don't think that would work well on the Surface 3.

How is gaming on the pro 3?

What does the Pro have over a regular mid-grade laptop from HP or Toshiba besides the detachable keyboard?
Why do you think game streaming wouldn't work well on a SP3?

Top Bottom