• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
They cut prices on these again.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-chops-price-on-surface-pro-3-tablets-again/

Surface Pro 4 should be coming pretty soon.

It's coming, it's coming! I'm 100% set on getting a SP4, despite my love for the SP3, but only because I think I can convince my job to fork over the cash for one for me since they are going to be replacing a bunch of laptops anyway. Interestingly enough, I think SP4 being on Windows 10 might be the biggest hurdle to getting one for work. I want to make the move to 10 but I don't think that will jive with our IT structure here, at least not for a while after release.

Think the form factor will change much? I am considering getting a dock, as I just ordered a new monitor for my desktop. Would love to bring a monitor into my bedroom to use my SP3 on, but I'm worried about a new dock coming out and SP3/4 compatibility.

SerTapTap

Think the form factor will change much? I am considering getting a dock, as I just ordered a new monitor for my desktop. Would love to bring a monitor into my bedroom to use my SP3 on, but I'm worried about a new dock coming out and SP3/4 compatibility.

Probably not, but you never know. IMO they've probably found their ideal form factor here and keeping compatibility is a nice plus (even the old surface pro 1 keyboards work with SP3s...they just don't cover the whole screen). They don't have an established upgrade cycle yet, but I'm personally expecting an SP4 that's completely compatible with SP3 covers/docks/etc and I'm assuming/hoping the heat/performance are the primary things they improve on.

They already broke away from the generic 16:9 form factor and it seems to work great. I don't see it getting THAT much thinner, and they've kept the same keyboard slot. But it's hard to say, this stuff moves fast.

BTW, does USB C push more power or something? Would a single USB C -> many USB 2&3 things be possible on a new SP4? Not sure they'll go to C that early, but it'd be cool, and the SP3's USB port is a bit under powered. I can only power about two low-ish power devices with it.

USB type C can juice 100w. Based on my cursory searching, the SP3 adaptors go up to 48w at the high end, so a single Type C port would be more than adequate for powering the SP4. I hope to god we get multiple ports though!

As it happens, we have more rumours about an announcement to a "Surface 2" successor coming from Build conf.

WinBeta claims that the new device will be launched "soon", and calls it "a successor to the Surface 2", despite not being based upon Windows RT as its implied predecessors were. Instead, the new tablet is expected to launch with Windows 8.1 onboard, and will be upgradeable to Windows 10 later this year.

The death of the Surface 2 left a big gap in Microsoft's product range, between its Lumia smartphones and the premium Surface Pro 3, which starts at $799. The new tablet will slot into that gap with more modest specs than the Pro 3 - but unlike the earlier Windows RT models, it won't be limited to only running 'Modern' apps.

The device is said to run either an Intel Atom or Core M processor with a fanless design, and will be "marketed as a non-pro" device, according to the report.

This all makes a lot of sense to me, the non-X86 tablets were always DoA and got discontinued a while ago. Intel low end stuff is now cheap and powerful enough to give us full windows for 99 dollar tablets at the ultra-low end, so a 399-499 "Surface 4" or whatever that runs full windows on an Atom processor and a smaller screen (10" probably would be my guess, just like the older Surface models) seems like a very attractive prospect.

They have started discounting SP3s on the MS store and bundling it with cashbacks, discounts or whatever. It seems like they're starting to move towards phasing it out, which they wouldn't do if they didn't intend to replace it with something. People don't upgrade tablets every year necessarily, but some people will replace every other year, or every 3rd year.

Broadwell (or Skylake if we're lucky) laptop CPU will probably power the SP4, which is likely to ship with Win10 ~halfway through the year. Maybe Julyish. A win 8.1 "windows 10 ready" machine on the latest atom seems logical to break into the lower end market.

We might see a resurrected Surface Mini eventually on Intel as well. Can't guarantee that, but it's possible.

Dash27

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Microsoft said the docking stations would work for the 3 and 4.

Here: http://www.techradar.com/us/news/mo...-release-date-price-news-and-features-1285416

That seems to be the case judging by a company blog post by general manager for Microsoft's Surface line Brian Hall, which says that the Surface Pro 3's accessories will be compatible with "the next generation of the 'Pro' line of Surface".

He wrote: "We are pleased to share that the following Surface Pro 3 accessories are designed with our product roadmap in mind and will be compatible with the next generation of the "Pro" line of Surface:

Today's Surface Pro 3 Type Covers
Our "infrastructure" accessories such as our power adapter, Ethernet adapter, and more
The Surface Pro 3 Docking Station

"This commitment helps validate an investment in Surface Pro 3 and solidifies Microsoft's overall commitment to the continued growth of the Surface brand."

eznark

Banned
I wonder if they will forgo the SP4 in this case, since people probably aren't down to buy new $1000 tablets annually.

No, but I do think people are really starting to realize how functional the SP's are compared to ultrabooks and ipads and it would be foolish to not capitalize on that with some sort of line refresh, especially in conjunction with Windows 10.

Probably not, but you never know. IMO they've probably found their ideal form factor here and keeping compatibility is a nice plus (even the old surface pro 1 keyboards work with SP3s...they just don't cover the whole screen). They don't have an established upgrade cycle yet, but I'm personally expecting an SP4 that's completely compatible with SP3 covers/docks/etc and I'm assuming/hoping the heat/performance are the primary things they improve on.

They already broke away from the generic 16:9 form factor and it seems to work great. I don't see it getting THAT much thinner, and they've kept the same keyboard slot. But it's hard to say, this stuff moves fast.

BTW, does USB C push more power or something? Would a single USB C -> many USB 2&3 things be possible on a new SP4? Not sure they'll go to C that early, but it'd be cool, and the SP3's USB port is a bit under powered. I can only power about two low-ish power devices with it.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Microsoft said the docking stations would work for the 3 and 4.

Here: http://www.techradar.com/us/news/mo...-release-date-price-news-and-features-1285416

Good stuff, thanks.

And yeah, if they go USB-C, that's awesome, but I still want a separate charger port...or just two USB-C ports!

SerTapTap

Will be interested to see what they release this year for sure, if it's just annual spec bumps or a new line or something. The SP2 seemed like a popular idea but I dont' know many people that really bought them. The SP3 feels like the first real success and I'm not sure how valuable it is to focus on much other than that. RT was definitely a dead end. Surface Mini could be interesting IF it has proper x86 and the keyboard isn't a nightmare.

Glad they're being upfront. Being antsy about stuff like this definitely affects my purchases. Would be more willing to buy digital things on PS4 if they'd promise PS5 would have backwards compatibility, for instance.

Good stuff, thanks.

And yeah, if they go USB-C, that's awesome, but I still want a separate charger port...or just two USB-C ports!

Never thought I'd praise a proprietary port, but I rather like the SP3's charge port (and the typecover port). But if USB C is used for charging yeah, they either need two ports, or they need to let us use the port on the brick for data too! (yes, there's a USB port on the power brick BTW, good for charging another device)

I think I might return my SP3 today. I'll get one again when the SP4 is announced and released, hopefully lighter, thinner and running a lot cooler. It's between that and the new Macbook at this point.

Never thought I'd praise a proprietary port, but I rather like the SP3's charge port (and the typecover port). But if USB C is used for charging yeah, they either need two ports, or they need to let us use the port on the brick for data too! (yes, there's a USB port on the power brick BTW, good for charging another device)

Yeah, I love that extra USB port. Charge my phone and SP3 from one charger=wonderful.

dLMN8R

I love that I can easily charge my SP3, my phone, and another device all through one outlet without getting any splitters.

One device plugged into the charger, another plugged into the SP3's USB port....whooo!

Corgi

Banned
I love that I can easily charge my SP3, my phone, and another device all through one outlet without getting any splitters.

One device plugged into the charger, another plugged into the SP3's USB port....whooo!

yeah. It's one of those 'people should have been doing this ages ago!' moments.

hyped for SP4, as in i'm hyped for a new keyboard. Need the excuse to have another color one, might as well get an improved one.

Problem is that new bluetooth keyboard looks really similar to SP3 keyboard, so i'm not expecting many changes.

Whats a good 'portable' usb hub y'all are using? Typical ones just dangle on the side which is a bit... ugly.

SerTapTap

Whats a good 'portable' usb hub y'all are using? Typical ones just dangle on the side which is a bit... ugly.

I use this one, it fits perfectly but unfortunately only powers 1-3 devices, depending on how much power they need. USB sticks work very well with it, but it only powers 2 DS4s, or one high power device like an external HDD. It's not too ugly IMO but it's also not too useful since it's really only 2 extra USBs for the most part. Use bluetooth for everything possible, or a powered hub if you actually need more than 2 USB things. I have a powered hub but it's for the desktop not the SP3.

I use this one, it fits perfectly but unfortunately only powers 1-3 devices, depending on how much power they need. USB sticks work very well with it, but it only powers 2 DS4s, or one high power device like an external HDD. It's not too ugly IMO but it's also not too useful since it's really only 2 extra USBs for the most part. Use bluetooth for everything possible, or a powered hub if you actually need more than 2 USB things.
Do they have those in usb 3.0?

The idea of Core M in the SP4 like TR was saying up there is terrible. Like fanless shit is nice but I don't want to go backwards in performance. The Core M stuff comes with hd5300 graphics, which is actually worse than the 4400 in the old SP2/3. The processing power isn't shit hot either. If they want to go with the Core M or even a bloody atom for a lower end device, that would be cool (e.g. the x86 Surface 3/4/whatever) but the Pro line shouldn't be backsliding on that front.

RayStorm

The 4 port powered hub is USB 3.0, the hang-off one isn't. You can get this hang-off one with 2 USB 3.0s, Micro and normal SD card inputs. I guess they don't do more than 2 ports since that usually doesn't work anyway.

However due to the card reader (there's also a similar with a LAN-Port instead of the card reader, which I had for a brief moment) the surface won't fit into the dock anymore, also the DP is likely going to be covered as well. And it might not lie flat on a table (but that's probably not an issue with the card reader version)... and as had been said, powering an external 2.5USB HDD and a logitech unifying receiver (or other usb device) will likely not work...

I really wish there was a version of that plug without a card reader, so simply a 2 port USB 3.x hub, so I could still dock the surface with it attached and have a second port for an USB stick, while the DP is uncovered and the surface may still lie flat on its back... but no, apparently there has to be somethign more in it than just a second flat usb port :/

SerTapTap

However due to the card reader (there's also a similar with a LAN-Port instead of the card reader, which I had for a brief moment) the surface won't fit into the dock anymore, also the DP is likely going to be covered as well. And it might not lie flat on a table (but that's probably not an issue with the card reader version)... and as had been said, powering an external 2.5USB HDD and a logitech unifying receiver (or other usb device) will likely not work...

I really wish there was a version of that plug without a card reader, so simply a 2 port USB 3.x hub, so I could still dock the surface with it attached and have a second port for an USB stick, while the DP is uncovered and the surface may still lie flat on its back... but no, apparently there has to be somethign more in it than just a second flat usb port :/

Hm. The USB 2.0 hangoff I posted earlier rotates into 3 positions, so it's easy to not block ports with it. But of course, it's USB 2.0

aaaaa0

For the SP4, I think they should make the USB port on the power supply into a real USB port.

They already have the pins for the USB ports in the power/dock connector, so why not run the wires out to the power supply and make the USB port on the power supply into a real one?

SerTapTap

It still needs a higher resolution screen imo. Almost there :/

Great to see Microsoft has added LTE and Pen options. I'd prefer a ~7"/8" tablet but tempted to grab this when it launches.

It's a budget option, higher resolution than I was expecting honestly. Plus it's smaller, could it be the same/higher PPI?

I'm meh on separate data plans per device, but the pen, get the pen.

Corgi

Banned
surface3-14.0.jpg

shit... never realize I can do this with the keyboard cover with the pen lol... but it totally works!

seems like the surface 3 keyboard is noticeably better than the pro 3's. can't wait to pick up the surface 4 keyboard :3

gizmodo said:
I've spent a good amount of time typing on the Surface Pro 3's keyboard—which I thought was very good—and I can tell you that the Surface 3 Type Cover is noticeably better, and that's despite it being smaller, which is really impressive.

The biggest difference is that the keys have more travel, better click, and just feel awesome to type on. I was able to blaze through some text almost immediately. I actually started chuckling as I remembered how much I hated typing on the original Surface keyboard. This new one is extremely useable. The track pad also has more click, and it has a really nice texture that my finger glided over very easily.

SerTapTap

shit... never realize I can do this with the keyboard cover with the pen lol... but it totally works!

seems like the surface 3 keyboard is noticeably better than the pro 3's. can't wait to pick up the surface 4 keyboard :3

YOU CAN DO THAT?! Well fuck. And yeah, more travel and click for the keys sounds great.

Blackhead

Redarse
It's a budget option, higher resolution than I was expecting honestly. Plus it's smaller, could it be the same/higher PPI?

I'm meh on separate data plans per device, but the pen, get the pen.

1080p on a 500-dollar device is acceptable, assuming it's got a high enough PPI

1080p on a $500 Windows laptop might be the norm but 1080p on a $500 tablet is not acceptable. Not only have $400 iOS and and Android tablets offered better for years but now $300 Chinese Windows tablets have better than 1080p

Even the Surface Pro is borderline high resolution imo. Microsoft is still trying to figure out their high-res mode while retina Macbooks and Chromebook Pixels both offer the option of greater desktop real estate. If makes the Surface Pro 3 seem very small in comparison :/

Corgi

Banned
honestly, i'd keep windows tablet resolutions low until they get their shit together for high res displays.

how is that for win 10?

YOU CAN DO THAT?! Well fuck. And yeah, more travel and click for the keys sounds great.

Same reaction for me on the pen, lol.

I'm so close to throwing away that stupid pen loop from my cover now.

And imo, the SP3 keyboard is already good enough, but any improvement is always welcomed.

SerTapTap

1080p on a $500 Windows laptop might be the norm but 1080p on a $500 tablet is not acceptable. Not only have $400 iOS and and Android tablets offered better for years but now $300 Chinese Windows tablets have better than 1080p

Even the Surface Pro is borderline high resolution imo. Microsoft is still trying to figure out their high-res mode while retina Macbooks and Chromebook Pixels both offer the option of greater desktop real estate. If makes the Surface Pro 3 seem very small in comparison :/

This is much closer to a $500 laptop than it is a $500 tablet. It's not reasonable to compare the surface to far less useful devices in the same price range, of course a less useful device needs a better screen to justify itself.

Corgi

Banned
hmmm messing around with the pen and the keyboard... I wonder if the surface 3 one is designed differently.

When I try clipping the pen to the keyboard like the pic above, you can't do the 'raised keyboard mode' with the pen clipped.

SerTapTap

hmmm messing around with the pen and the keyboard... I wonder if the surface 3 one is designed differently.

When I try clipping the pen to the keyboard like the pic above, you can't do the 'raised keyboard mode' with the pen clipped.
You probably have to take the pen out since I bet it's blocking the magnet, but it still looks nice for transport (I don't have mine with me to try).

I wonder if they can just have some sort of special magnet spot for the Surface Pro 4 to stick on the pen even when moving. The typecover/power cord magnets are nice.

Blackhead

Redarse
This is much closer to a $500 laptop than it is a $500 tablet. It's not reasonable to compare the surface to far less useful devices in the same price range, of course a less useful device needs a better screen to justify itself.

Again, you can get full Windows 8 Atom tablets right now for $300. Add a Bluetooth mouse+keyboard and they are just as useful as a Surface. Heck some of those Chinese high-res tablets dualboot Windows and Android so you could argue that they are more useful. You can also get Windows ultrabooks/convertibles with better resolution than a Surface Pro. I prefer the build quality of the Surface line and Microsoft's signature Windows experience but there's no excuse for continuing to lag behind in screen resolution

SerTapTap

I really don't feel the SP3 is lagging behind in display resolution, the display is beautiful IMO. High DPI is handled weirdly in Windows which is a problem, but that's really about it. I can't imagine buying a more limited device just for higher numbers at this point. Text reads great at 1440p and the SP3's PPI. Games would benefit, but the SP3 can't push major 3D games at 1440p so raising the resolution won't have any particularly positive effect on gaming.

And you couldn't PAY me to use a $300 atom laptop and lug around an external bluetooth keyboard and mouse. The surface is a great bundle and I'm glad they're not sacrificing other areas or price just to say "yeah boyyeee higher res than a $2000 macbook". The Surface is a holistic experience that cannot be compared spec point by specpoint in a meaningful manner.

Blackhead

Redarse
I really don't feel the SP3 is lagging behind in display resolution, the display is beautiful IMO. High DPI is handled weirdly in Windows which is a problem, but that's really about it. I can't imagine buying a more limited device just for higher numbers at this point. Text reads great at 1440p and the SP3's PPI. Games would benefit, but the SP3 can't push major 3D games at 1440p so raising the resolution won't have any particularly positive effect on gaming.

And you couldn't PAY me to use a $300 atom laptop and lug around an external bluetooth keyboard and mouse. The surface is a great bundle and I'm glad they're not sacrificing other areas or price just to say "yeah boyyeee higher res than a $2000 macbook". The Surface is a holistic experience that cannot be compared spec point by specpoint in a meaningful manner.

Eh, I'm not interested in it for gaming. Text reads only ok imo and I could notice the difference when I had one. And the scaling modes of ChromeOS and Mac OS helps a lot when doing work.

I'm not getting one of those Onda tablets either just pointing out that a higher resolution screen is doable. I expect better from Microsoft

Corgi

Banned
I hope they change the keyboard button material feel. Something about the matteish texture just feels... icky with me :(

Fox1304

Is there a specific manipulation to do in order for the button on the pen to launch one note etc ? Never worked for me, but I remember that it was supposed to be a shortcut to launch the app ?

Top Bottom