• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

Sai

Tom Warren teased the Pro 4 on Twitter. No Core-M, no fanless design, October 4 reveal.
So it's really happening this year. Think they'll keep the form factor the same? Seems like it would be a gigantic waste to whip out a new line of peripherals after the Pro 3's.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So it's really happening this year. Think they'll keep the form factor the same? Seems like it would be a gigantic waste to whip out a new line of peripherals after the Pro 3's.

They've said that peripherals etc would work on future surface devices, in an attempt to reassure enterprise that it was safe to buy in to SP3. So I'd expect the basic form factor to remain - same bottom mounting for type cover, same width/height so the type cover fits, same location and magnetic charger (which works as the data connection for the docking station). They could tweak ports and port locations, and possibly thickness though.

BTW, where are the vents for this thing? My wife often uses it in portrait mode resting on her lap and I want to make sure she isn't blocking anything.

SerTapTap

They've said that peripherals etc would work on future surface devices, in an attempt to reassure enterprise that it was safe to buy in to SP3. So I'd expect the basic form factor to remain - same bottom mounting for type cover, same width/height so the type cover fits, same location and magnetic charger (which works as the data connection for the docking station). They could tweak ports and port locations, and possibly thickness though.

BTW, where are the vents for this thing? My wife often uses it in portrait mode resting on her lap and I want to make sure she isn't blocking anything.

If you look there are vents all around it, in the dimpled line all around the device. The CPU is in the top right when the device is in laptop mode, right near the USB (fan blows towards the USB.) You should be able to feel which part gets hot if the fan is on high. I usually hold it with the USB side up in portrait for that reason. Also I don't bump the windows button on accident that way

derFeef

I am rocking this case right now. I can only recommend it, especially to environmentalists ;) although it's a bit tight but it gets better after some time.

cork_case_surface_lightbrown_open_grande.jpg

They have other variants too.
http://www.corkor.com/collections/surface-pro-3

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How do you unlock/log in if you left the surface in PC mode,then disconnect the keyboard? Can't see a way to get the touch keyboard to appear

Think I'm reverting to 8.1. Getting lots of unresponsive issues with internet explorer (not edge), and even chrome.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If it wasn't clear before, Mary Jo Foley and Paul Thurrott confirmed the new Surface Pro for October.

Have we seen info on skylake mobile chips yet? I think I remember seeing something about iris graphics and the same 15w TDP but I can't find it again.

Futureman

I have the Surface type cover and I like the keyboard and trackpad, but scrolling through pages on Chrome is very jerky. Is there some "smooth scroll" option in Windows or Chrome I can set?

also, on a Mac, Photoshop files show little thumbnail previews of the file, is there some way to get Windows explorer to do this?

edit: actually it seems to scroll pretty smoothly, but the actual trackpad is so small that you have to constantly life your fingers. I guess if I keep the Surface I can buy a real mouse to use as well.

lol, another Windows 10 feature for Surface Pro 3.

I can't log into it now after what's likely a recent update. I can log into my other laptops, but not the Surface Pro 3. It says my password is incorrect via both onscreen keyboard and the physical keyboard. It suggest to reset it, which I stupidly did. Neither the old password or the new password works.

I think I'm going to sell this thing. This isn't for me. POS.

SerTapTap

I have the Surface type cover and I like the keyboard and trackpad, but scrolling through pages on Chrome is very jerky. Is there some "smooth scroll" option in Windows or Chrome I can set?

also, on a Mac, Photoshop files show little thumbnail previews of the file, is there some way to get Windows explorer to do this?

edit: actually it seems to scroll pretty smoothly, but the actual trackpad is so small that you have to constantly life your fingers. I guess if I keep the Surface I can buy a real mouse to use as well.

I scroll with my finger (as in, on the screen), though I think there's a more ideal touch scrolling setting you should use in Chrome unless they finally changed it. Like asynch touchmove or something? name was really weird

golem

Yeah its annoying that the trackpad area is so small. I just end up reaching for the screen now. Will probably end up getting a mouse

maeh2k

If it wasn't clear before, Mary Jo Foley and Paul Thurrott confirmed the new Surface Pro for October.

Can't imagine it'll change much. With a CPU of similar power, I doubt they can get the size or the cooling down. I'm basically expecting a Surface Pro 3 with some support for Windows Hello.

That's not a bad thing, though. The Surface Pro 3 is pretty nice. At the office there are probably more than a dozen people using Surface Pro 3s.

Futureman

I really want to keep my Surface 3 but I guess I will return it and just wait for the 4 (I have about a week left on my Best Buy return).

The main decision I need to make is whether to buy the low end Pro (currently $700, Core i3, 4 GB RAM) and onlyuse it as a drawing tablet.... or get the top of the line Surface Pro and sell my 2013 retina 15" MacBook Pro.

I did a few tests so far and the Surface 3 Pro i7 boots faster and opens the Photoshop files I typically use faster than the MacBook Pro. I want to run some video editing tests this week.

I think I might be most interested in a possible graphics processor bump in the Pro 4.

Currently the top of the line Surface uses the Intel HD Graphics 5000 chip. What will the processor and integrated graphics bump look like with the Pro 4?

Futureman

so I looked up the Intel HD 5000... and that is part of the Haswell family released in 2012? In the 2014 Surface Pro 3?

are there any rumors on whether the Pro 4 will use Broadwell or Skylake?

did MS ever state why they went with the year old Haswell? If the 4 uses Skylake it seems like it will be a very nice performance/energy upgrade.

edit: digging around... and as the Pro 3 is over a year old at this point and MS didn't launch the Pro 4 with Windows 10.... it's possible they are holding out until October so they can use Skylake?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
so I looked up the Intel HD 5000... and that is part of the Haswell family released in 2012? In the 2014 Surface Pro 3?

did MS ever state why they went with the year old Haswell? If the 4 uses Skylake it seems like it will be a very nice performance/energy upgrade.

edit: digging around... and as the Pro 3 is over a year old at this point and MS didn't launch the Pro 4 with Windows 10.... it's possible they are holding out until October so they can use Skylake?
Windows 10 was originally scheduled for October, they moved the date up. Harder to move Hardware dates up. October is what everyone is hearing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

my hope would be it'll come with skylake. If so, then I think the mobile chips will be coming with Iris 6100 graphics which is a pretty big bump from Haswell (see this link) The -U chips still seem to be 15W though, so I'm a little worried there will be similar thermal/throttling issues as the pro 3. But for my usage, which will be more CPU and less GPU, I think would be better than SP3 - CPU will be a smaller percentage of the die and with the die shrink the wattage for the CPU should see a decent decrease - the balance of the 15W TDP will be taken up by the GPU.

Worth holding off until October if possible because you should at least get Windows Hello support and a decent bump in battery life (Haswell-Broadwell-Skylake + die shrink). And if the performance isn't much different, you should be able to benefit from reduced prices on SP3 being cleared from shelves.

Futureman

Hmmm cool.

I didn't know what Windows Hello was... so like a fingerprint or facial recognition log in? I've been a Mac user for 10 years and it's kinda scary moving back to Windows, but if the Pro 4 is the right price/performance I may go all in and sell my MacBook Pro.

dLMN8R

Windows 10 was originally scheduled for October, they moved the date up. Harder to move Hardware dates up. October is what everyone is hearing.

It's weird how Paul or Mary Jo heard this from a couple of unverified sources, then they repeated it a couple of times on their show, and now suddenly it's accepted truth :)

Look, you don't have to believe me of course, but I worked on the entire Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 product releases from beginning to end. I saw all the schedules, the revisions to schedules, and pretty much everything else that happened internally.

There was never an instant where Windows 10 was scheduled for this Fall and then moved up. The sheer idea of that is hilarious to me because everything about it is so ridiculously infeasible I don't know where to start!

The release date for Windows 10 was one of the most solid, unmoving release dates I've ever seen in my long history of working for Microsoft. It was set for July of 2015 for more than a year - and before that the release date wasn't October, it simply didn't have a release date yet. At most it moved by two weeks at one point, and that's it.

So this story that Paul and Mary Jo keep repeating that it was October and then moved up to July? Doesn't exist, never existed. And not because "moving hardware is harder than moving software", it just never happened at all.

(And when you have a worldwide release date with marketing plans, partner plans, and a billion other moving parts? It's not necessarily easier to move that software release date anyway, if that was the case in the first place)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
A wireless Bluetooth mouse is probably the best solution

My wife has a little unified receiver poking out so whe can use her Logitech kb&m when she has he surface connected to her monitor. A decent Bluetooth replacement for both would be over £100 just to lose the little sticking out thing. At that point I might as well look for a cheap used dock which would save connecting the displayport too.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well I mean, if the iPad pro isn't running OSX, it simply won't be able to compete no matter how good the hardware is.

It will though. As much as I'd like OS X on it, an iPad pro running iOS would a omst instantly have more touch and stylus friendly apps on it than surface pro. And those that weren't would be updated damn quickly. While I'd want proper OSX, apple's recent changes to bring limited multitasking and cursor control could be an indication that they want to blur the lines even more between the two platforms. If they can get enough critical features into iOS, they may not need OSX on an iPad pro.

The good news is we'll hopefully have time to see what they are up to (and possibly even have them in stores) before Sp4 comes out.

I didn't think about a possible iPad Pro at all. Huh. This might change things. Question is when it could be revealed. The September event is for the iPhone, right?

Lucius86

Banned
It will though. As much as I'd like OS X on it, an iPad pro running iOS would a lost instantly have more touch and stylus friendly apps on it than surface pro. And those that weren't would be updated damn quickly. While I'd want proper OSX, apple's recent changes to bring limited multitasking and cursor control could be an indication that they want to blur the lines even more between the two platforms. If they can get enough critical features into iOS, they may not need OSX on an iPad pro.

The good news is we'll hopefully have time to see what they are up to (and possibly even have them in stores) before Sp4 comes out.

I can definitely see a use case for this with some users, but I would have thought digital artists need more horsepower from their device which an iPad form factor can't supply - yet.

Futureman

I would just never consider iPad Pro because it does not have Photoshop and that's what I need for my specific digital illustration needs.

How does the iPad Photoshop compare now to the full featured one? Can you do stuff on the iPad and then transfer to a laptop/desktop running full Photoshop and continue working?

I'm holding out for Surface 4 for my first drawing tablet where you draw directly on the screen, but if the iPad Pro is announced next month with a real stylus that is specifically designed for drawing and Photoshop gets an update for better support I may consider that as well.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
It will though. As much as I'd like OS X on it, an iPad pro running iOS would a omst instantly have more touch and stylus friendly apps on it than surface pro. And those that weren't would be updated damn quickly. While I'd want proper OSX, apple's recent changes to bring limited multitasking and cursor control could be an indication that they want to blur the lines even more between the two platforms. If they can get enough critical features into iOS, they may not need OSX on an iPad pro.

I'd buy an ipad pro in a heartbeat if it gives me what I want better than a surface pro. I have no loyalty haha. But I would really have a hard time moving to an ipad pro if it's just ios in a bigger device. At least give me a proper file management system and some customization options.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
can you set it up so you can use the tablet as an extension of a more powerful computer? So like the photoshop example you'd have the tablet as a drawing surface with the photo on, but also the main screen with other things on too, and doing the processing? I suppose you could run it all from the surface with a monitor as a secondary display though.

I wonder if Apple might do something like that with ipad pro, so it can work well alongside a mac?

Will be interesting to see what they both come up with (although SP4 is unlikely to be a surprise - can't imagine much more than a CPU bump and depth camera)

maeh2k

can you set it up so you can use the tablet as an extension of a more powerful computer? So like the photoshop example you'd have the tablet as a drawing surface with the photo on, but also the main screen with other things on too, and doing the processing? I suppose you could run it all from the surface with a monitor as a secondary display though.

I wonder if Apple might do something like that with ipad pro, so it can work well alongside a mac?

Will be interesting to see what they both come up with (although SP4 is unlikely to be a surprise - can't imagine much more than a CPU bump and depth camera)

You can't use the Surface Pro as an accessory for a more powerful pc. For that kind of solution, you'd have to look at Wacom. You can of course attach external displays.
With its Ultrabook-hardware the Surface Pro can handle plenty of photoshopping.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
It's weird how Paul or Mary Jo heard this from a couple of unverified sources, then they repeated it a couple of times on their show, and now suddenly it's accepted truth :)

Look, you don't have to believe me of course, but I worked on the entire Windows 8, 8.1, and 10 product releases from beginning to end. I saw all the schedules, the revisions to schedules, and pretty much everything else that happened internally.

There was never an instant where Windows 10 was scheduled for this Fall and then moved up. The sheer idea of that is hilarious to me because everything about it is so ridiculously infeasible I don't know where to start!

The release date for Windows 10 was one of the most solid, unmoving release dates I've ever seen in my long history of working for Microsoft. It was set for July of 2015 for more than a year - and before that the release date wasn't October, it simply didn't have a release date yet. At most it moved by two weeks at one point, and that's it.

So this story that Paul and Mary Jo keep repeating that it was October and then moved up to July? Doesn't exist, never existed. And not because "moving hardware is harder than moving software", it just never happened at all.

(And when you have a worldwide release date with marketing plans, partner plans, and a billion other moving parts? It's not necessarily easier to move that software release date anyway, if that was the case in the first place)
i shall defer to your expertise. interesting info to know. thanks.

Mobius 1

I'm actually wondering now if I should just buy the Wacom 13HD instead of a Surface as my MAIN reason for wanting one is to draw?

The 13HD is a tethered pen display, it needs to be plugged to a computer. You may be thinking of the Cintiq Companion, which is a standalone computer much like the Surface.

Damn damn damn.

I was cleaning the keyboard but i must have used too much force when dusting it off with a cloth, because I broke at least 3 keys, and some now doesn't feel the same.

:'(

I'm so pissed at myself right now XD

Damn damn damn.

I was cleaning the keyboard but i must have used too much force when dusting it off with a cloth, because I broke at least 3 keys, and some now doesn't feel the same.

I'm so pissed at myself right now XD

Thankfully Microsoft is not putting a super high margin on the keyboards, just because they feel like it.

Oooooooh...

Futureman

I have two days left to return my Pro 3...

sucks, I love it, but I think it makes sense to return and wait for the Pro 4.

My hope is to get the base Pro 4. I wonder what the bump will be like from the current i3, 4 GB RAM, 64 GB storage...

They really should package it together at B&M and allow you to choose color for online orders.

Build it into the price. Microsoft really pisses me off.

Oh, but they have bundles for retail stores. Including special packaging and all that (looks the same, but has more space to slide the keyboard packaging in as well).

The Surface 3 64/2GB + Type Cover is a super cheap 749.99 EUR here. That's almost a steal! (base SKU is 599, Type Cover is 149)

My hope is to get the base Pro 4. I wonder what the bump will be like from the current i3, 4 GB RAM, 64 GB storage...

Soon. https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/632213554914029568

Thankfully Microsoft is not putting a super high margin on the keyboards, just because they feel like it.

Oooooooh...

Edit:

Oh, but they have bundles for retail stores. Including special packaging and all that (looks the same, but has more space to slide the keyboard packaging in as well).

The Surface 3 64/2GB + Type Cover is a super cheap 749.99 EUR here. That's almost a steal! (base SKU is 599, Type Cover is 149)

Soon. https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/632213554914029568

Wait, the bundle costs more than getting separate?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I have my fingers crossed they go i3-U rather than the current i3-Y. That'll give it a nice boost in performance and cost seems to be the same from Intel. If they bump storage to 128GB that'd be nice, but considering Win10 seems fairly efficient on space they might keep it at 64GB/4GB ram. I'd be ok with that. Main thing I'd like is a proper i3 in there, otherwise I'd feel like getting the i5 which starts to get expensive as a secondary computer.

Edit:

Wait, the bundle costs more than getting separate?

Sorry, sorry. You're right. It's not more expensive. That would be outrageous.

It's actually 748.99 EUR.

DVihLhf.jpg

kgO9rwx.jpg

That does not include the pen, of course. That's 49.99 extra. You could get a Surface Pro 3 i3 for that price.

Oh well, at least Surface makes a ton of revenue for Microsoft, right?
https://youtu.be/UJOjTNuuEVw?t=17s

I wonder why they never talk about profits and sold units, though!

hwalker84

Any tips on settings to restore the Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10 to the battery life of 8.1?

I do like a lot of things about Windows 10 but I'm going to focus on what's bothering me.

Why when using the pen does it default to the handwriting keyboard?
How/if can you change it?
Surface Pro 3 gets hotter way faster than it ever did.
Hibernation Mode uses more power than before.
I thought we were getting the swipe keyboard from Windows Phone?
Why doesn't the virtual keyboard come up automatically when not in Tablet mode?
What is that hitch/delay when unlocking and getting ready to input your picture password. Windows 8.1 didn't have this.
Why doesn't Edge have a way to sort favorites alphabetical? Hell anyway to bulk sort?
OneDrive integration... My god it's terrible. This needs a massive overhaul or the ability to change functionality back to how it was. As it is now it's unusable.

I wiped my SP3 clean with an 8.1 recovery usb drive and started on Windows 10 fresh.

It works. The original upgrade was a nightmare. CPU flare ups, horrible battery life after every update possible, and finally I couldn't even log in to the fucking thing.

Good luck to anyone else doing an update and trying to keep everything. My experience was miserable. My SP3 isn't my main pc, so wiping everything and starting over was just annoying. I'm sure I annoyed many of you.

I like the form of the SP3. Win 10 is better for it, if you start clean.

derFeef

Sooo, I am looking into mobile charging options for my SP3 and it's looking a bit dire...
Car adapters, powerbanks, all-in-one etc... every recommendation is welcome.

Top Bottom