• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

Crap. This Win 10 upgrade found another reason to piss me off.

It makes the SP3 run hot. It's not updates as all updates were done hours ago and I shut down. No, this thing is nuts. I recommend staying away from the update for a long time. It's just too awful.

It's made my SP3 near useless.

Drifters

Mine is about the same... i5. Honestly I would bet it is certain programs and how W10 is calling them for their processes rather than the issue being the actual hardware.

I find using tablet mode on this thing is a pure joy and actually makes the thing even more valuable as a tablet.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just noticed an i3 surface pro 3 in CEX for £415. No pen but I can nick the wife's or buy one.seems a great price and could probably sell my iPad air 2 and old laptop and cover the cost.

I should try and wait for pro 4 though..

Just noticed an i3 surface pro 3 in CEX for £415. No pen but I can nick the wife's or buy one.seems a great price and could probably sell my iPad air 2 and old laptop and cover the cost.

I should try and wait for pro 4 though..

That reminds me again. I really fear that Microsoft is going to discontinue the i3 model in favor of the Atom model. The i3 version has been on sale here for a while and it's very close in price to the 128/4GB Surface 3. I've already seen one retailer here taking the i3 off the shelf entirely, another one has no shipping date anymore. Seems like MS is only selling remaining stock. That would really suck, as I'd prefer it over the (here) overpriced Atom version, even with the spinning fan and all.

The Pro 4 announcement this Fall can't come soon enough, because it's really hard not to bite on some of the i3 sales.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That reminds me again. I really fear that Microsoft is going to discontinue the i3 model in favor of the Atom model. The i3 version has been on sale here for a while and it's very close in price to the 128/4GB Surface 3. I've already seen one retailer here taking the i3 off the shelf entirely, another one has no shipping date anymore. Seems like MS is only selling remaining stock. That would really suck, as I'd prefer it over the (here) overpriced Atom version, even with the spinning fan and all.

The Pro 4 announcement this Fall can't come soon enough, because it's really hard not to bite on some of the i3 sales.

with MS talking about the atom version being 80% as fast as the i3, it could be a possibility. And when you price up the top atom plus pen, it isn't a million miles away in cost from a baseline i3. I hope not, because that would make the entire pro line very expensive. You already have most tech sites recommending the i5 so hopefully that is enough for MS to keep the i3 on for those that cannot justify the extra cost.

I'd be curious to see if they do anything with the core-m chips though. Should outperform atom and they're fanless. Might make a nice mid-range pro line, with the low TDP broadwell/skylake above them.

Mine is about the same... i5. Honestly I would bet it is certain programs and how W10 is calling them for their processes rather than the issue being the actual hardware.

I find using tablet mode on this thing is a pure joy and actually makes the thing even more valuable as a tablet.

The store app can't be opened for my i5. The Xbox app can't be opened. Firefox doesn't have an onscreen keyboard in tablet mode. For some reason, it's running my tablet hotter which means the fan has to run more, bringing down battery life.

I'm up to date on all updates and firmware. Before the update, my sp3 never got this hot.

I repeat, do not install the update. It's half-baked crap

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are you using 'auto improve for tablet users' or manually switching via the swipe menu? Switching to auto seems to just leave it in tablet mode permanently, can't work it out.

SerTapTap

No issues so far with win 10. It's been running warm, but I've been watching SGDQ or installing updates or cleaning updates (don't forget to run the Clean Disk tool on your C drive after the upgrade to clear off the old install when you're sure you don't want to go back).

Tablet mode does exascerbate a problem the Surface Pro 3 has though--even with the keyboard plugged in and magnetically attached, or even while being used, if you tilt the device about 5 degrees too far while unplugged it will ask if you want to go into tablet mode and turn off the keyboard. Rather over-eager IMO and makes it annoying to use on an unlevel surface (in bed). Tablet mode itself seems nice but I haven't actually used it other than to play with it. Are the tiles the same as the one in my start menu?

I assume the app store is still barren?

Was worried about losing the charm bar, but it's still there, "action center" now though. Seems to have the same stuff and more.

SerTapTap

Anyone have Cortana impressions? She seemed useless in the preview and I didn't mess around much yet. I really like Google Now and kinda wish they'd just port it to Windows. I hope Google in general starts making apps for win, they're almost the only apps on my phone I miss when using the Surface.

How do you access the desktop in tablet mode? Do you have to go through File Explorer, or is there another way?

I couldn't find this either, I think it might be hidden entirely (it's not even an app on the start menu anymore). I think the intent is for you to put desktop-only things on the desktop and pin to start whatever you need to use on tablet mode. File explorer will let you access the actual files if you need them but it's not good enough for shortcuts.

hwalker84

I'm not so sure I like Windows 10 better on my Surface than I did 8.1.

1. Surface Pro 3 runs hotter more often than 8.1
  2. Edge is not touch friendly
  3. If not in Tablet mode keyboard doesn't come up when clicking into a text field
  4. When using a pen and clicking a text field the keyboard is always the handwriting keyboard. HOW DO I CHANGE THIS!!

I'm not so sure I like Windows 10 better on my Surface than I did 8.1.

1. Surface Pro 3 runs hotter more often than 8.1
  2. Edge is not touch friendly
    [*]If not in Tablet mode keyboard doesn't come up when clicking into a text field
  3. When using a pen and clicking a text field the keyboard is always the handwriting keyboard. HOW DO I CHANGE THIS!!

It does for me on edge, windows explorer and other apps. From all the apps I use, I think only office 2016 needs to be in tablet mode for the keyboard to pop up...

It never pops up, not even in tablet mode if the cover is plugged in and in position to type tough.

How do you access the desktop in tablet mode? Do you have to go through File Explorer, or is there another way?

You don't. Tablet mode even merges all the apps you opened in all virtual desktops.

If you need to get a file that's in the desktop you have to use the file explorer for that.

I actually like that approach. Sure, it would be better if we had a touch friendly file explorer, but once everything is in place I think it will be a great solution.

Click the icon next to the time/date in the bottom right corner. Touch 'tablet mode' and that is the equivalent of unchecking it.

That's my crap workaround for dealing with the bug about textfields and the onscreen keyboard. It's tedious as hell

mrklaw

MrArseFace
does anyone make a simple cover for it? My wife will mostly use it upstairs, connected to a wireless kb/m and monitor, or downstairs as a tablet. She won't need the type cover that often, but something to protect the screen would be good.

likewise - any recommendations for a bluetooth mouse/keyboard? Currently using a logitech setup with the unifying receiver, and it'd be nice to not have it sticking out and taking up the only USB port.

Rehynn

Thanks for the answers, guys.

I think... I can live with that. I just made all the desktop icons large in File Explorer, and it's almost the same thing.

I'm liking Win10 quite a bit so far.

dLMN8R

Rumors point to October. That's when they have all kinds of launches and the Pro 4 is supposed to be among them.

I (really) know nothing about a SP4 or its potential specs/release date, but holy hell if it has hardware to support Windows Hello that'll sell me on it instantly. I've used it on some devices and it's just incredible.

Drifters

The store app can't be opened for my i5. The Xbox app can't be opened. Firefox doesn't have an onscreen keyboard in tablet mode. For some reason, it's running my tablet hotter which means the fan has to run more, bringing down battery life.

I'm up to date on all updates and firmware. Before the update, my sp3 never got this hot.

I repeat, do not install the update. It's half-baked crap

I personally haven't had any issues with the Store post update. Xbox app has to be updated via the Store so that is why that isn't working for you. Firefox and other applications does have the on-screen keyboard via tablet mode you just have to enable it by long pressing on the taskbar in tablet mode to enable it.

As stated before, I'm not having any thermal issues on mine unit post update. I would perhaps pursue backing things up and resetting it to see if it fixes it.

I'm going to wait it out a bit. I don't have much to save if I reset but I have low faith that it will fix the issue. Going to wait for a few more updates, so far I'm just seeing windows defender updates.

I installed W10 on my SP3 i5 128gb just a bit ago and so far it doesn't seem as hot as it did before. Guess we will see with a bit of time and I am really digging Edge so far.

lol, my cpu is running at 80% with three service hosts hogging the majority of it. Nothing peculiar inside each of the service hosts, but if your surface pro runs hot, check task manager. This launch blows. MS can kiss my ass.

I (really) know nothing about a SP4 or its potential specs/release date, but holy hell if it has hardware to support Windows Hello that'll sell me on it instantly. I've used it on some devices and it's just incredible.

It may sound stupid, but Windows Hello is exactly the reason why I'm holding off and not buying a Surface right now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It may sound stupid, but Windows Hello is exactly the reason why I'm holding off and not buying a Surface right now.

A little bit of hello, but mostly two generations of die shrink and architecture improvement are the things stopping me buying another one after lusting over my wife's.

Who uses a surface pro along with an iPad or desktop PC? the surface is pretty damn big and heavy Vs an iPad Air 2, and for general consumption I don't know whether I could sell the iPad or I'd still need it.

Also slightly reticent because there are so many iPad apps that are properly tuned around touch. While surface can use any Windows apps, that could also mean some devs don't bother optimising for tablet mode or touch because you can use the normal app, even if it is a bit clunky. Although Lightroom is tempting if I can sync between two computers easily.

Omiee

guys i have a question, i have an external hdd that i used for my macbook. if i plug it in my surface it wont recognize it. what might be wrong?

what should i do so i dont lose the content but my surface can view the external hdd?

A little bit of hello, but mostly two generations of die shrink and architecture improvement are the things stopping me buying another one after lusting over my wife's.

Who uses a surface pro along with an iPad or desktop PC? the surface is pretty damn big and heavy Vs an iPad Air 2, and for general consumption I don't know whether I could sell the iPad or I'd still need it.

Also slightly reticent because there are so many iPad apps that are properly tuned around touch. While surface can use any Windows apps, that could also mean some devs don't bother optimising for tablet mode or touch because you can use the normal app, even if it is a bit clunky. Although Lightroom is tempting if I can sync between two computers easily.

The lack of good touch apps are definitely a concern for me, although I'd mainly buy one for the inking support. Which brings me back to the performance. I don't see myself using the Surface for more than doing sketches and editing some illustrations, but I guess I'd really like to have the option to do more heavy tasks, if needed. I still have my iPad 4 and I guess I'd still continue to use it in my bed over the Surface. But the iPad would be useless at work (which is why I don't bring it with me), whereas the Surface would be a great extension.

with MS talking about the atom version being 80% as fast as the i3, it could be a possibility. And when you price up the top atom plus pen, it isn't a million miles away in cost from a baseline i3. I hope not, because that would make the entire pro line very expensive. You already have most tech sites recommending the i5 so hopefully that is enough for MS to keep the i3 on for those that cannot justify the extra cost.

I'd be curious to see if they do anything with the core-m chips though. Should outperform atom and they're fanless. Might make a nice mid-range pro line, with the low TDP broadwell/skylake above them.

I'm sorry that I overlooked this post. You made a really good point with the Core-M. I read the Anandtech review of the Surface 3 and it's the first time I saw real benchmarks of the Atom x7 and comparisons between that chip and the Core-M and i3. While it's true that the Atom comes close to the i3 in some cases, it's still no match at heavy tasks and the slow eMMC storage seems to limit the device even more, compared to the SSD in the Surface Pro. Looking at the benchmarks more closely, it looks like the Core-M might be the better option, even when compared to the i3 model. All in all, I'd say that the 80% performance claim is highly theoretical. It's a good marketing line and supports my theory that they're going to dump the i3 model, but when it really matters, it's nowhere hear close to that.

http://anandtech.com/show/9219/the-surface-3-review/5

(the Dell Venue 11 uses the Core-M)

It's also interesting that the lack of a turbo mode is what limits the performance of the i3 model over the Atom.

I'm praying there's a high endish SP4 with fairly good iGPU. Hearts of Iron 4 is a game I intend to play a lot on my device assuming it runs ok and I'll probably need like the i5/i7 variant to get decent playability at min settings.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Going to grab the entry level surface pro 4 when it comes out. I don't need more power as I have a desktop for heavy lifting.

(If I write it down it'll help me stick to it and not grab a SP3 now)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
keyboard is just dumb, right? Assuming the SP4 uses the same peripherals as the SP3, we could share one keyboard between two computers? I think someone in MS said when they launched the SP3 that the equipment would support future SPs too - presumably to encourage enterprise clients to buy and invest in docks etc.

SerTapTap

keyboard is just dumb, right? Assuming the SP4 uses the same peripherals as the SP3, we could share one keyboard between two computers? I think someone in MS said when they launched the SP3 that the equipment would support future SPs too - presumably to encourage enterprise clients to buy and invest in docks etc.

You can even use a surface 1 or 2 type/touchcover on the Surface Pro 3...it just won't cover the screen. It'll certainly work on the Surface 4, whether it will perfectly fit the form factor isn't for sure though

I thought about that for a while, because that would mean they couldn't change the port configuration that much or would have to cover new ports with the dock. They also can't change the charging method and would have to keep the custom magnetic charger.

SerTapTap

I thought about that for a while, because that would mean they couldn't change the port configuration that much or would have to cover new ports with the dock. They also can't change the charging method and would have to keep the custom magnetic charger.

The charger is really nice, though expensive/unique (like...almost every laptop charger tbh), I don't really see them changing it. I would love if they allowed an option for inductive charging too though. Everything needs inductive charging.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

would only need to keep a similar form factor, and the location/size of the magnetic charger - all the ports and signals come through that. They could move/add the USB/mini DP/headphone ports as they aren't used on the dock.

The charger is really nice, though expensive/unique (like...almost every laptop charger tbh), I don't really see them changing it. I would love if they allowed an option for inductive charging too though. Everything needs inductive charging.

Some people were complaining about the charger, though. It wouldn't always fit right in or wouldn't charge, even when the LED was glowing, because it wasn't 100% perfectly connected.

would only need to keep a similar form factor, and the location/size of the magnetic charger - all the ports and signals come through that. They could move/add the USB/mini DP/headphone ports as they aren't used on the dock.

Ohhh, so everything goes through the charging port? I didn't know that. I thought it would use at least the USB 3.0 port, too.

I always loved snapping the mobile version of Skype to the side of the screen while using the regular desktop, but now it seems you can only use the desktop version. I really don't like it when companies force 'updates' on you. I don't like the desktop version as much on 8.1 because of the lack of being able to snap it to the side of the screen, also the UI isn't as nice and clean as the mobile version in my opinion. Any help? Any way to replicate this experience?

http://i.imgur.com/pO9P2ja.png

I always loved snapping the mobile version of Skype to the side of the screen while using the regular desktop, but now it seems you can only use the desktop version. I really don't like it when companies force 'updates' on you. I don't like the desktop version as much on 8.1 because of the lack of being able to snap it to the side of the screen, also the UI isn't as nice and clean as the mobile version in my opinion. Any help? Any way to replicate this experience?

http://i.imgur.com/pO9P2ja.png

There's a new modern version coming, but it wasn't ready for launch and is still nowhere near ready, apparently. It's supposed to launch this Fall.

Top Bottom