• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Announced (12", 3:2 aspect ratio, new stand)

SerTapTap

The app side of MS stuff seems under-baked in general. Can't even play DVDs with groove music. Back to VLC for everything I guess.

Really hoping Win 10 pushes more companies to at least port their Android/iOS apps to win 10 but MS isn't setting a great example. All I want is some nice touch friendly high DPI apps.

There's a new modern version coming, but it wasn't ready for launch and is still nowhere near ready, apparently. It's supposed to launch this Fall.

Ugh that sucks, I wish they would let you use the old one for the time being and not just force you to stop. I hate that. I guess i'll have to deal with a non touch friendly ad ridden interface for a while...

The app side of MS stuff seems under-baked in general. Can't even play DVDs with groove music. Back to VLC for everything I guess.

Really hoping Win 10 pushes more companies to at least port their Android/iOS apps to win 10 but MS isn't setting a great example. All I want is some nice touch friendly high DPI apps.

It's not very good. I'm not sure if it is my imagination but the touchpad for SP3 is more accurate. I was getting MacBook vibes from it. With the Store app suddenly working and the Xbox app working, I'm a happier camper. Now I have to figure out these weird CPU usage spikes. When that problem doesn't happen, everything on my i5 runs far faster. It's really my fault for taking a release on the first day.

The most disappointing thing for me is the articles being written talking about nirvana when the experience on a sp3 can be terrible. 4 hour battery life ain't cool. A hot SP3 ain't cool. Apps crashing all the time, not cool. It has gotten better but fence sitters should stay there.

Ape

Banned
I've had all day with my sp3 and it isn't bad. My track pad is fucked on the left side, so bad that it doesn't register clicks to I'm going to replace it. Other than that I randomly hit the track pad when typing and that sucks. There's a little bleeding on the screen that can be seen when everything is black but it doesn't bother me because it isn't noticeable unless I'm getting an update pushed.

Oh, my N-Trig seems not to work when I put it an a natural angle, or at least it doesn't work all the time. I have to put it basically straight with the screen, any way to fix that with calibration?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've had all day with my sp3 and it isn't bad. My track pad is fucked on the left side, so bad that it doesn't register clicks to I'm going to replace it. Other than that I randomly hit the track pad when typing and that sucks. There's a little bleeding on the screen that can be seen when everything is black but it doesn't bother me because it isn't noticeable unless I'm getting an update pushed.

Oh, my N-Trig seems not to work when I put it an a natural angle, or at least it doesn't work all the time. I have to put it basically straight with the screen, any way to fix that with calibration?

if you mean because it registers taps, you can turn that off. Always the first thing I look for when buying a new laptop. Hate tap to click.

Win 10 has been very good for my sp3, except that when I restart it takes ages to get past the surface logo screen. And doesn't help that the bug that prevents the surface from connecting to WiFi after sleeping came back to haunt me :(

I am currently downloading w10. Finally! I will miss touch IE so much on my surface pro 1

Edge is super barebones right now. You could say it barely made it into the RTM.

Go and check out the Edge section in the feedback app. You'll see that many obvious features are still missing. Don't forget to upvote the things you want the most.

Edge is super barebones right now. You could say it barely made it into the RTM.

Go and check out the Edge section in the feedback app. You'll see that many obvious features are still missing. Don't forget to upvote the things you want the most.

I Sure will. I tried to run a script that enabled metro IE in the pre release version of w10 but that doesn't seem to work anymore. I really dislike all the wasted space and missing gestures in edge.

is there any way to hide the taskbar in tablet mode? it works well in desktop mode (even with swiping up to show it) but for some reason I cant fnd a way to hide it in tablet mode.

golem

Yeah honestly the software seems a bit undercooked and is missing alot of stuff you would normally assume would be there. Wonder why they felt they had to push it out in this timeframe (especially since it wasnt even launched along with any new hardware like sp4)

PG2G

Yeah honestly the software seems a bit undercooked and is missing alot of stuff you would normally assume would be there. Wonder why they felt they had to push it out in this timeframe (especially since it wasnt even launched along with any new hardware like sp4)

Back to School

golem

Its probably just the placebo effect but I did a complete clean install of W10 and I think my random temperature heat ups and hibernation issues are gone. The battery indicator seems alot more optimistic about my remaining time as well.

Future

"Reserved" the copy of Windows 10. But not gonna switch over until I read more positive impressions. Key things holding me back (all stuff from other posters, please correct if wrong)

- random cpu spikes make it run hotter
- battery a lot worse when in standby, and worse in general
- keyboard not always coming up
- Edge a little less tablet usable than Metro IE. Less screen real estate

The performance issues are surprising because I've also seen people say Windows 10 is a bit snappier than 8 for some older laptops

Futureman

I had the i3 Surface but then exchanged it at Best Buy for the i7 version with 256 GB drive.

The fan has been on since I started this thing. Weird as I barely remember the fan ever coming on while using the i3 version for a few days.

Should the the fan be on and the back of the Surface be hot when all I have open is Chrome? If this is normal for the i7 I may just return it, pretty annoying having the fan blow constantly when you are doing nothing at all.

The battery was at 0% when I first started so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Rehynn

Can't fucking believe this, but my DisplayPort just stopped working.

It doesn't detect my external display at all. Was working fine an hour ago, now, after some gaming, I switch back to the Surface's input, and nothing.

Anyone ever get this problem?

golem

Yeah, they need to do something about that.

It does come up occasionally, but come on...

Yeah its dumb. Switched to picture login for now, which I actually am starting to like

Anyone try streaming xbox one games to their SP3? I read an article saying that it's working.

Yes you have to update the Xbox app though in the store, as the included app in W10 is an older version. Seems to work fairly well. Oddly streams apps like YouTube but not TV

SerTapTap

I had the i3 Surface but then exchanged it at Best Buy for the i7 version with 256 GB drive.

The fan has been on since I started this thing. Weird as I barely remember the fan ever coming on while using the i3 version for a few days.

Should the the fan be on and the back of the Surface be hot when all I have open is Chrome? If this is normal for the i7 I may just return it, pretty annoying having the fan blow constantly when you are doing nothing at all.

The battery was at 0% when I first started so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

If it was charging and updating, which it probably is when you first start it up, yes it being hot is normal. Charging adds a moderate amount of heat and the background updates can add quite a bit to that. I'd wait to try it fully charged and fully updated. Videos will definitely make the fan go on, but otherwise Chrome shouldn't make it freak out on it's own with basic web pages.

j-wood

How exactly does doing a clean install work on the sp3 for windows 10?

I successfully upgraded, but it seems like my folder icons are still the windows 8 version? They don't look like they do on my desktop anyways (they still have a folder in the icon, instead of just say a down arrow for downloads).

But I have no idea how the hidden recovery partition or drivers work if I did a clean install/format.

diaspora

How exactly does doing a clean install work on the sp3 for windows 10?

I successfully upgraded, but it seems like my folder icons are still the windows 8 version? They don't look like they do on my desktop anyways (they still have a folder in the icon, instead of just say a down arrow for downloads).

But I have no idea how the hidden recovery partition or drivers work if I did a clean install/format.

Do a regular upgrade, then do a System Reset.

j-wood

Do a regular upgrade, then do a System Reset.

I did that. Chose the option to remove all apps/files. Same deal as far as the icons go. But is that still a clean install?

It didn't format the drive and I had to use disk cleanup to remove windows.old after the reset.

diaspora

I did that. Chose the option to remove all apps/files. Same deal as far as the icons go. But is that still a clean install?

It didn't format the drive and I had to use disk cleanup to remove windows.old after the reset.

Essentially indistinguishable from a clean install.

SerTapTap

It will always leave that Windows.old best I can tell. Doesn't mean it's not a clean install.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wife is not smitten. I think she was expecting a laptop for work that then turns into an iPad in the evenings. Plus she isn't experienced with touch devices generally so she keeps going back to mouse conventions for navigation, but using her finger - and then getting frustrated when it doesn't work. Tried getting her to use the metro mail app instead of the gmail browser inbox wih tiny checkboxes etc but it might take some work.

Is there a way to zoom the text on a page without the keyboard/mouse attached? It would be in internet explorer

SerTapTap

IS she not using the touch screen? You can scroll in any browser with your finger, and click too (though clicking can be a problem with small touch points), no need for stupid touchpad gestures. I think pinch to zoom works in most browsers but not as fluidly as it does in mobile browsers.

It takes getting used to, but IMO the touchpad + touchscreen make it way better to use than a plain-old laptop +touchpad, though if you want a mouse you'll need to use a mouse. I got a bluetooth one I use when not carrying it about.

Wife is not smitten. I think she was expecting a laptop for work that then turns into an iPad in the evenings. Plus she isn't experienced with touch devices generally so she keeps going back to mouse conventions for navigation, but using her finger - and then getting frustrated when it doesn't work. Tried getting her to use the metro mail app instead of the gmail browser inbox wih tiny checkboxes etc but it might take some work.

Is there a way to zoom the text on a page without the keyboard/mouse attached? It would be in internet explorer

You me like pinch to zoom on mobile devices? If so, that works on IE (both metro and desktop)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You me like pinch to zoom on mobile devices? If so, that works on IE (both metro and desktop)

No, like making the text larger - equivalent of Ctrl+ mouse wheel.

I think I mainly have to wean her off the gmail website. But she has those tabs open during the day when in laptop mode (two tabs for two accounts) and leaves them open when she switches to browse mode. She considers pressing start and then the mail app to be 'complicating things' even though frustratedly zooming in and out to check tiny boxes on web gmail is way more time consuming.

She'll come around. Or I'll have it :D

SerTapTap

Has she tried Inbox? It's UI is a lot bigger and more touch friendly. And while it's a bit of a paradigm shift, I find it's far far more in tune with how human beings use email than a standard email client is.

Seriously everyone should use Inbox, so good

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Has she tried Inbox? It's UI is a lot bigger and more touch friendly. And while it's a bit of a paradigm shift, I find it's far far more in tune with how human beings use email than a standard email client is.

Seriously everyone should use Inbox, so good

She might freak out :)

I use inbox but can find it a bit temperamental sometimes. I'll try it out on the surface pro using my account and then maybe suggest it.

The update files are probably still there. Open the disk cleaning tool and remove the files from there.

Thanks, I just removed the old files and back up to 94GB.

Also does anyone have one of these Belkin Sleeve's? Will the SP3 fit with the type cover?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/belkin-sleeve-for-microsoft-surface-pro-3-navy/7284006.p?id=1219262015178&skuId=7284006

7284006_sa.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500

SerTapTap

She might freak out :)

I use inbox but can find it a bit temperamental sometimes. I'll try it out on the surface pro using my account and then maybe suggest it.

There's definitely a learning curve, but done/sooze and the auto-sorting mesh perfectly with how I use email, I couldn't possibly go back. And the UI is nice and big with plenty of whitespace and larger fonts. Way too many UIs forget we're not on 800x600 displays anymore and cramming more text on screen at the same size is not always a proper usage of the extra screen real estate.

Speaking of, friggin' hate GAF's default font size. I'm at 175% zoom over here.

Futureman

Does anyone here do media/design work and use a Surface as their main computer?

I have a late 2013 retina 15" MacBook Pro (2.3 Ghz core i7, 16 GB ram, 512 GB SSD, 2GB graphics card) and I'm wondering how this would compare to the top of the line Surface? I would want to connect to a 23" or so external monitor for any video editing and photo editing. I do illustration and love it so far for being able to draw right on the screen.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I have a late 2013 retina 15" MacBook Pro (2.3 Ghz core i7, 16 GB ram, 512 GB SSD, 2GB graphics card) and I'm wondering how this would compare to the top of the line Surface? I would want to connect to a 23" or so external monitor for any video editing and photo editing. I do illustration and love it so far for being able to draw right on the screen.

I think all surface pro CPUs are dual core - Haswell-U series for the i5 and i7 so you could check how that compares for raw grunt with whatever the specfic i7 you have.

SerTapTap

I think Studio Tan does? I dunno enough about mac stuff to compare myself.

Jeff-DSA

I'm pretty happy with the Windows 10 experience so far, but I FREAKING HATE what they did to OneNote. The pens being reduced to two crappy options (super thin and the medium is a marker). WTF is that? They also ruined the eraser to now it can only erase entire strokes, not to freely erase.

Is there some hidden level of options I'm not finding? The old OneNote was a million times better than this.

Joe

How's the SP3 with the 4gb of ram?

I have an older laptop with a 4 or 5year old is, 8gb ram, and ssd.

The She's are coming down in price and I'm interested but I'm worried there won't be any increase in performance over my current laptop.

I'm pretty happy with the Windows 10 experience so far, but I FREAKING HATE what they did to OneNote. The pens being reduced to two crappy options (super thin and the medium is a marker). WTF is that? They also ruined the eraser to now it can only erase entire strokes, not to freely erase.

Is there some hidden level of options I'm not finding? The old OneNote was a million times better than this.

I think you are correct about the pen, but the eraser button is actually a drop down that lets you choose the type.

szaromir

Banned
I'd like to buy a Surface Pro, though my purchase is 2-3 months away and I have a few questions first.
- how's performance on the 4GB version? Windows 10 hovers around 4GB RAM usage with barely a few programs running on my desktop and laptop, doesn't SP3 choke on such amount with some more intensive processes running?
- any rumors when SP4 might get released? SP3 seems good enough for me from the few times I had a chance to use it, but I suppose it would see some really welcome price drops once SP4 gets announced. At the moment SP3 i5 + 4GB + 128 GB + keyboard + sleeve = ~1100€, which is total maximum I can afford. I'd like to get a bit more bang for the buck.

SerTapTap

I don't think it's sane to expect a fanless design. It would have to have extremely compromised performance and/or far far greater throttling than the current model. The fan seems inevitable, I'd just like it to come on far rarer and for throttling to not happen.

How's the SP3 with the 4gb of ram?

I have an older laptop with a 4 or 5year old is, 8gb ram, and ssd.

The She's are coming down in price and I'm interested but I'm worried there won't be any increase in performance over my current laptop.

I'd like to buy a Surface Pro, though my purchase is 2-3 months away and I have a few questions first.
- how's performance on the 4GB version? Windows 10 hovers around 4GB RAM usage with barely a few programs running on my desktop and laptop, doesn't SP3 choke on such amount with some more intensive processes running?
- any rumors when SP4 might get released? SP3 seems good enough for me from the few times I had a chance to use it, but I suppose it would see some really welcome price drops once SP4 gets announced. At the moment SP3 i5 + 4GB + 128 GB + keyboard + sleeve = ~1100€, which is total maximum I can afford. I'd like to get a bit more bang for the buck.

The thing about RAM is it's made to be used. There is no reason to leave RAM idle unlike CPU/GPU. If you have high RAM windows will allocate much more than it will if you have low ram.

The 4GB SP3 is perfectly fine. I use notorious memory hog Chrome on it all the time and it's fine. Hovers around 75% utilization. And swap files on an SSD aren't nearly as big a deal as HDD.

Rumors are saying october now for SP4 but I'm not sure how good rumors are on Surface. Still no Surface Mini after all.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't think it's sane to expect a fanless design. It would have to have extremely compromised performance and/or far far greater throttling than the current model. The fan seems inevitable, I'd just like it to come on far rarer and for throttling to not happen.

The Asus Zenbook UX305 seems to do pretty well being fanless. the all-metal casing of the surface would help keep the chips cool, although being a tablet you can hold might mean MS has stricter thermal limits than Asus.

Slightly uncertain about SP4 though. Assuming they use the same Skylake-U chips rated at 15W, won't heat be the same problem as it is in current ones? Or would the larger IGP mean that for general purpose use, the CPU side will be lower in watts and therefore it'd stay cooler unless you're playing games?

Top Bottom