• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft XBox related product announcement today.

Probably not major, but there you go. Probably to tie in the the new Media Center stuff.

http://www.majornelson.com/blog/2004/10/ms-announcements-today.html

Xbox Live's Major Nelson's unofficial blog

MS announcements today

Microsoft has a big event in Los Angeles today. It's always a big event when you get the big boss to host the event. (Yes, I mean BillG.) Today we are announcing a bunch of new products...including the new Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 (why can't we come up with shorter names for this stuff?) I'll also be posting about a cool new product for Xbox owners.

Details later today.

explodet

"When asked about Halo 2, Bill Gates introduced Peter Moore, who is now covered head to toe in tattoos with the Halo 2 logo and release date."

8bit

Knows the Score
It's Play For Sure or something like that. Branding for mp3 players et al. to prove that their hardware works with MS DRM files.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I guess if it's a "cool product for Xbox owners", that doesn't mean mini-Xbox...

yes, i'm getting my first xbox on nov 9. I'd just like a small one!

jedimike

There are a few products MS is coming out with that are pretty much unknown at this point.

I expect it to be either...

A: Video Chat
B: XBL Arcade
C: XBMC connectivity

probably the extender stuff they announced a while ago. just finally bringing a release date.

huh?

element

I'm pretty sure it is the Media Center Extender For Xbox, since the website for it was updated today.

Media Center Extender for Xbox is a new Xbox title that streams the Media Center PC entertainment experiences onto your TV or display through your Xbox console, so you have even more choice in where and how you enjoy their digital entertainment.

Media Center Extender for Xbox is a packaged software product from Microsoft that runs as an Xbox game. With a wired or wireless connection1 to the Media Center PC, the Xbox console now allows you to enjoy the digital entertainment media from the PC when and how you want.

Store all your digital media on your Media Center PC — photos, music, videos, live and recorded TV — and bring it all to life throughout your home through the Xbox console. The Windows Media Center Extender for Xbox also supports DVD movie playback.

Only problem is you have to have Windows Media Center 2005. But I think there will be an upgrade from XP for it.

element said:
I'm pretty sure it is the Media Center Extender For Xbox, since the website for it was updated today.

Only problem is you have to have Windows Media Center 2005. But I think there will be an upgrade from XP for it.
or you can just get a mod and use good 'ol XBMC... it even does streaming nowadays... i watched that japanese VF4 tourney live streamed to my xbox yesterday...

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
any word on the Xbox Live camera/teleconference thingy that they're releasing in Japan?? is that coming to the states?

SyNapSe

element said:

Ahh, no! Woulda been cool if you could stream from PC to xbox, but I'm not buying a new version of Windows for it..

element

SyNapSe said:
Ahh, no! Woulda been cool if you could stream from PC to xbox, but I'm not buying a new version of Windows for it..
I don't think it is a 'true' upgrade, like $100 or something. They might do a package for like $50 with a remote or something.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I dont understand some of media centre XPs features, like the recording TV stuff, does it just have a decoder if you have a TV card or does it rely on you to hook up your TV somehow or download stuff like you can with AOL and some shows? I take it Radio is internet radio, all the other stuff just sounds like general media player features.

Jesiatha

Ghost said:
I dont understand some of media centre XPs features, like the recording TV stuff, does it just have a decoder if you have a TV card or does it rely on you to hook up your TV somehow or download stuff like you can with AOL and some shows? I take it Radio is internet radio, all the other stuff just sounds like general media player features.

It's a PVR interface to use TV tuners, get a channel guide, etc. (like Tivo, MythTV, and some others). Radio is over the air radio (if you have a tuner that supports it).

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
The Faceless Master said:
that would rock if it were released here...

that could potentially be a "killer app" for Xbox and Live and carry on nicely to Xenon. I know I'd be all over that.

Top Bottom