• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midway Arcade Treasures 2 Impressions from FMT!

LakeEarth

Anyanka said:
Now that MK1 is on PS2 you can play the complete MK story on one system, with one exception...MK Gold. I hate how a game that's important to the story like that is only on one system.

How is MK-Gold storyline different? I was under the impression it's just MK4 with a few extra characters.

thom said:
I let MK2 cycle through the story screens while I went to grab a snack...came back and saw the ad for the MK2 soundtrack that expired back in 1995.

The game over screen for MK3 informs the player to "see the movie."

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Uno Ill Nino said:
Is the AI in MK2 still weaksauce? I played an arcade MK2 not long ago and could not land a fucking harpoon with Scorpion to save my own ass. Just couldn't do it. However, I could sweep the CPU opponent about 10 times in a row without fail. Pretty lame. Is it still like that?

The AI in MK2 is ridiculous. All the cpu does is stalk you and throw you and if you try to attack they always counter. I stick with Baraka when playing single player. His blade fury move is very effective and his jump kick has very high priority.

The AI for MK3 was a lot more forgiving than MK or MKII. It actually made the single player somewhat fun. Then they went back to the cheesy AI in UMK3. MK4 had some cheesy moments but it was still easier than MK1, MK2, and UMK3. MK5 and MK6 have pretty easy AI imo.

I wanted to pick this up yesterday but BB hadn't gotten it in yet.

LakeEarth

JC10001 said:
The AI in MK2 is ridiculous. All the cpu does is stalk you and throw you and if you try to attack they always counter. I stick with Baraka when playing single player. His blade fury move is very effective and his jump kick has very high priority.

Nevermind the fact that they can throw you at insane distances. I mean you have to hit low punch to throw, yet they throw before they even come into the range of a low punch, so technically IT MAKES NO SENSE!!

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
LakeEarth said:
Nevermind the fact that they can throw you at insane distances. I mean you have to hit low punch to throw, yet they throw before they even come into the range of a low punch, so technically IT MAKES NO SENSE!!

Yup. They can throw you just inside sweep distace. What kills me is that when you manage to sweep them they can somehow fall down, get up, and walk closer to you before you even have a chance to pull another sweep off.

Another classic cheesy AI movie is the split second uppercut...the one where when you go for an uppercut and the cpu ducks and a split second later it uppercuts you. The cpu just skips several frames of the animation at once and counters. Its so blatantly cheap its unreal.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I just picked this up for PS2. I'm very disappointed.

MK2 and MK3 have tons of sound problems. Often times the music won't stop playing when it should. Other times it cuts off suddenly for no reason. There is a wee bit of slow down (happens on a couple moves) in MK2 but its minor and not nearly as much of a problem as the music.

The Primal Rage port seems okay to me, but I never played the arcade version much. If they changed the movement for some moves then it can only be for the better. Holding those buttons down to do the moves like in the arcade would suck. As far as blood goes, it seems like when P1 hits P2 there is yellow blood (like the sweat from MK1 on SNES) but when P2 hits P1 its red blood. Nothing really truly terrible... just really weird and annoying.

I also played Pit Fighter. Boy what a craptacular game that is. Its easily the biggest button masher I've ever played.

Given all of the delays there is no excuse for how shoddy the emulation is. I could have gotten over a few minor inconsistencies but when there are glaring differences like yellow blood and music problems it just shows how incompetant the team that put MAT2 together is.

Oh, and here's the best part... it would seem that they chose to emulate an earlier version of MK3 because you can't play as Smoke!!!!

Chi-Town

I can clear up why the control method in Primal Rage is different(although not why the moves are different). I looked around and found a Primal Rage FAQ and evidently there was an arcade revision(version 2.3) that allowed gamers to press buttons and then do the joystick moves(the original Primal Rage method) or do the moves then press the buttons. On the arcade game if you pressed up on the left joystick and down on the right joystick in the title screen, you could see what version it was running. Just for the heck of it, I tried that on this and Version 2.3 came up.

JC10001 said:
Oh, and here's the best part... it would seem that they chose to emulate an earlier version of MK3 because you can't play as Smoke!!!!

the robot smoke had to be unlocked using that ultimate kombat kode thing IIRC. Human Smoke was in Ultimate MK3 along with Scorpion and Ninja Sub Zero.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Ninja Scooter said:
the robot smoke had to be unlocked using that ultimate kombat kode thing IIRC. Human Smoke was in Ultimate MK3 along with Scorpion and Ninja Sub Zero.

Yup, you're right. I just checked a FAQ. For those interested... here's the code:

1-2-9-0-0-2-4-2-2-3

Thats:

Player1: HP 1 time, HK 2 times, Block 9 times (or hold start and press block once)
Player2: HP twice, HK 4 times, Block twice, LP twice, LK 3 times.

Ranger X

As always i seem to care about the game people don't...

How is Hard Drivin? Perfect port? How does it control without a steering wheel? Is it compatible with the new logiteck Pro?

Anyanka

Isn't the content the same across all 3 SKUs?

Yeah, but I have to own every MK game.

How is MK-Gold storyline different? I was under the impression it's just MK4 with a few extra characters.

It is, but the new characters have stories that are important latter on. Cyrax's MKG story sets up him joining the Special Forces and Kung Lao's sets up Kitana's involvement in MKDA.

You can't fight Smoke in MK II. Pressing down and start on the portal when toasty comes out just pauses the game....

Fifty

Anyanka said:
Isn't the content the same across all 3 SKUs?

Yeah, but I have to own every MK game.

You mean to say that you need to own the Xbox, PS2 and GC versions of these emulated versions of MK 2 and 3? :p

Bog

Junior Ace
Anyanka said:
Emulations are not, they're MK games so I must own.

First off, I think you're lying. But let's say you aren't... do you also own every Kollector's Edition cover?

Anyanka

You think I am lying? Why would someone LIE about owning two versions of MAT 2?

No, I don't own every cover. Just the Scorpion one. I was thinking about getting them all, and still might. I don't really count seperate covers as seperate games.

thom

Good question.

Anyanka did you buy the ps2 and xbox versions of deception? what about multiple versions of Deadly Alliance?

How is DA on GBA?

Anyanka

Yeah, I got MKD for both systems. Premium Package MKD and Kollector's MKD(Scorpion cover).

I'm actually playing Xbox MKD right now.

I got MKDA on PS2, Xbox, GC, GBA and MKTE, the second version on GBA.

MKDA on GBA is......better than the old portable MK games. It looks good, but plays pretty badly. I guess I had fun with it, but this is coming from someone who had fun with MKM.

Anyanka

Here is my whole kollection.

None of them are roms or anything like that.

1. Mortal Kombat(SNES)
2. Mortal Kombat(Genesis)
3. Mortal Kombat(Sega CD)
4. Mortal Kombat(PC)
5. Mortal Kombat(Amiga)
6. Mortal Kombat(Gameboy)
7. Mortal Kombat(Gamegear)
8. Mortal Kombat(Arcade)
9. Mortal Kombat II(SNES)
10. Mortal Kombat II(Genesis)
11. Mortal Kombat II(32X)
12. Mortal Kombat II(Saturn)
13. Mortal Kombat II(PSX)
14. Mortal Kombat II(PC)
15. Mortal Kombat II(Master System)
16. Mortal Kombat II(Gameboy)
17. Mortal Kombat II(Gamegear)
18. Mortal Kombat II(arcade)
19. Mortal Kombat & Mortal Kombat II(Gameboy)
20. Mortal Kombat 3(SNES)
21. Mortal Kombat 3(Genesis)
22. Mortal Kombat 3(PC)
23. Mortal Kombat 3(PSX)
24. Mortal Kombat 3(Master System)
25. Mortal Kombat 3(Gameboy)
26. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3(SNES)
27. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3(Genesis)
28. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3(Saturn)
29. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3(arcade)
30. Mortal Kombat Trilogy(PSX)
31. Mortal Kombat Trilogy(N64)
32. Mortal Kombat Trilogy(Saturn)
33. Mortal Kombat Trilogy(Game.com)
34. Mortal Kombat Trilogy(PC)
35. Mortal Kombat Advance(GBA)
36. Mortal Kombat 4(PSX)
37. Mortal Kombat 4(N64)
38. Mortal Kombat 4(PC)
39. Mortal Kombat 4(GBC)
40. Mortal Kombat 4(arcade)
41. Mortal Kombat Gold(DC)
42. Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance(PS2)
43. Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance(Xbox)
44. Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance(GC)
45. Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance(GBA)
46. Mortal Kombat Tournament Edition(GBA)
47. Mortal Kombat Deception: Premium Package(PS2)
48. Mortal Kombat Deception: Kollector’s Edition(Xbox)
49. Mortal Kombat Mythologies(PSX)
50. Mortal Kombat Mythologies(N64)
51. Mortal Kombat Special Forces(PSX)
52. Midway Arcade Treasures 2(Xbox)
53. Midway Arcade Treasures 2(PS2)

What am I missing?

MK II for Amiga
MK for Master System
MK3 for Gamegear
MK3 arcade
MK & MK II for PC(as a set)
MAT 2 GC

Anyanka

I think MK Special Forces might be worse than MKA. The later levels of MKSF are so bad! There is like this thick fog that is completely black. Somehow the enemies can see through it and shoot you to pieces. The game also has like no coherent story and a bunch of lame rejects like Tremor, the elusive...brown ninja. At least MKA is based on UMK3.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
To play as Smoke in MK3 you have to beat the game and then enter the Ultimate Kombat Code every time that you play it!!! It doesn't save him after he is unlocked. Talk about messed up. They better fix that when MAT3/UMK3 comes out.

Anyanka

You don't have to beat it. The UKK screen comes up after any Game Over. So just lose on purpose.

It's still really annoying though. What bugs me is that you have to use two controllers.

MK4 on N64 is a VERY good port. At the time the sound was really impressive.

thom

I remember purposely sacrificing graphics to get the PSX version of MK4 because of better control and the TV commercial...I was a big FMV whore back in the day.

How is the MK 2 import for psx?

Anyanka

That commercial was pretty cool. So was the MK II one. MKD needs a commercial with people dressed as the characters.

Alias03

Anyanka said:
They both still really, really good though. MK II in particular is far better than any other home version. How big of a problem is the music continuing to play during a fatality, really? My biggest problem is actually not one of those issues, but the save system. Not being able to save the UKK is weaksauce. I don't want to enter it every time I play.

dont mean to sound dumb but whats the UKK?

Anyanka

Ultimate Kombat Kode.

It's a 10 digit code that unlocks Smoke in MK3. In UMK3 there's 3 that unlock it's hidden characters.

Okay, I picked up the Xbox version earlier.

Hmm, flickering shadows in MKII and 3 bug me. It's like that string of MAME versions where the shadows were screwed up. The sound effects are fine in both games (with 3 having better sound, which it should) but the music stopped in a couple of matches on II, and I didn't notice any problems with 3. The games control exactly the same as in the arcades. Other than the shadows and the occasional sound problem, the games are perfect.

Narc was awesome, just for how hillariously bad it was. Not gameplay wise, which was good, but the goofy look of it all. The drug sellers, the addicts that threw heroin needles at you, the freaked out clowns... The sounds effects were great.

Primal Rage seemed arcade perfect to me.

Gauntlet II was fucking annoying. THOSE DAMN SOUND EFFECTS MY GOD. The gameplay bit ass as well. I didn't remember the game being that bad when I played it last in... oh... 1987?

Arch Rivals was a piece of shit. I'm sorry. Spy Hunter II: crap.

Total Carnage was awesome. There were soooooo many sprites on the screen at all times, and absolutely no slowdown.

Rampage World Tour was fun as hell! My friend and I played that for such a long time. Probably over 45 levels completed, and we weren't even halfway through the game it seemed like.

We didn't really play any of the other games yet. One thing I can say is how consistantly good the graphics look. I don't know if it's a product of upconverting to 1080i or what, but I expected all these 2D games were going to look like pixelicious shit. They don't! They look wonderful!

Anyanka said:
Here is my whole kollection.

None of them are roms or anything like that.

1. Mortal Kombat(SNES)
2. Mortal Kombat(Genesis)
3. Mortal Kombat(Sega CD)
4. Mortal Kombat(PC)
5. Mortal Kombat(Amiga)
6. Mortal Kombat(Gameboy)
7. Mortal Kombat(Gamegear)
8. Mortal Kombat(Arcade)
9. Mortal Kombat II(SNES)
10. Mortal Kombat II(Genesis)
11. Mortal Kombat II(32X)
12. Mortal Kombat II(Saturn)
13. Mortal Kombat II(PSX)
14. Mortal Kombat II(PC)
15. Mortal Kombat II(Master System)
16. Mortal Kombat II(Gameboy)
17. Mortal Kombat II(Gamegear)
18. Mortal Kombat II(arcade)
19. Mortal Kombat & Mortal Kombat II(Gameboy)
20. Mortal Kombat 3(SNES)
21. Mortal Kombat 3(Genesis)
22. Mortal Kombat 3(PC)
23. Mortal Kombat 3(PSX)
24. Mortal Kombat 3(Master System)
25. Mortal Kombat 3(Gameboy)
26. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3(SNES)
27. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3(Genesis)
28. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3(Saturn)
29. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3(arcade)
30. Mortal Kombat Trilogy(PSX)
31. Mortal Kombat Trilogy(N64)
32. Mortal Kombat Trilogy(Saturn)
33. Mortal Kombat Trilogy(Game.com)
34. Mortal Kombat Trilogy(PC)
35. Mortal Kombat Advance(GBA)
36. Mortal Kombat 4(PSX)
37. Mortal Kombat 4(N64)
38. Mortal Kombat 4(PC)
39. Mortal Kombat 4(GBC)
40. Mortal Kombat 4(arcade)
41. Mortal Kombat Gold(DC)
42. Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance(PS2)
43. Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance(Xbox)
44. Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance(GC)
45. Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance(GBA)
46. Mortal Kombat Tournament Edition(GBA)
47. Mortal Kombat Deception: Premium Package(PS2)
48. Mortal Kombat Deception: Kollector’s Edition(Xbox)
49. Mortal Kombat Mythologies(PSX)
50. Mortal Kombat Mythologies(N64)
51. Mortal Kombat Special Forces(PSX)
52. Midway Arcade Treasures 2(Xbox)
53. Midway Arcade Treasures 2(PS2)

What am I missing?

MK II for Amiga
MK for Master System
MK3 for Gamegear
MK3 arcade
MK & MK II for PC(as a set)
MAT 2 GC

Wow what a collection. I didn't know Mortal Kombat II came out for the PS1. Is it just as bad as the Sega Saturn port of Mortal Kombat II. Mortal Kombat II on the Sega Saturn missing voices there was no excuse for it.

Anyanka

MK II PSX came out in Japan, which is really weird. It's a little better than the Saturn version, but not by much. It does have better sound effects and not as much loading during fights, but other than that they're basically the same.

Ok the controls for Primal Rage have not been changed. I picked it up today and was rockin combos with Vertigo like back in the day. Talon's moves were the same too. Didn't remember any others, but I'm assuming its all gotta be the same. You sure your memory of Blizzard's moves is accurate, Anayanka?

Rampage kinda sucked but I played alone.

MK2 and 3 both seemed arcade perfect to me. Very nice. Kinda sucks that you can't save though.

More impressions later....

COCKLES

being watched
How does it compare to the MAMEoX versions on Xbox? MK 2 & 3 got screwed ont he latest versions, they were playable before, but the MAME team's obsession with technically accuracy has killed them to unplayable slowness.

Anyanka

Uno Ill Nino said:
Ok the controls for Primal Rage have not been changed. I picked it up today and was rockin combos with Vertigo like back in the day. Talon's moves were the same too. Didn't remember any others, but I'm assuming its all gotta be the same. You sure your memory of Blizzard's moves is accurate, Anayanka?

100% sure. I'm not just going by my memory either, I checked a bunch of FAQs(and yes, they're for 2.3) and others are having the same problems. I tried it on both XBox and PS2 too.

Some moves were changed, some weren't. Blizzard is the only one I use in PR, so I don't know about Vertigo. I've seen people say Armaddon's have changed too though.

Some people on GF are making a FAQ for the new stuff now.

I stand corrected then. That's weird though, don't you think? I wonder why the moves changed? I'll probably be hitting up gamefaqs a lot now just cuz I don't remember any fatalities for MK2 or 3. Or moves. I like how the pit fatality in MK1 just requires a simple uppercut. They should all be like that....

Anyanka

I have no idea why they'd change them. It's so weird.

I never liked the multiple pit motions either. It's especially obnoxious how in MK4 there's a seperate motion for each pit. In the first revision of MK3 everyone's motion was the same for each pit. I wish they would have kept it like that. There's too much to memorize when they had like a million finishers.

just played some more of this tonight. Gauntlet II ROCKS! I remember me and my brother playing the shit out of this game at Chuck E Cheese back in the day. They need to get to work on Midway Arcade Treasures 3...this time, with 3D games! I want to see SF Rush, Hydro Thunder, MACE, Ultimate MK3, MK4, NFL Blitz...make it happen, cocksmokers!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I have the GC version, and I noticed that Primal Rage seemed to have sound issues every time a new level was loaded.

Kweh

ah ok, i don't remember the speed in the arcade, just remember the SNES version. Its still a nice piece of MK nostalgia playing MK2 and MK3 again albeit how quick it is.

What's the difference between MK3 and UMK3?

Top Bottom